[PGT] Canucks vs Sharks - Nov 20, 2023

Jess

A few thoughts:

Hogs: I think it was just one of those things that got out of hand. Two guys battling for position and it turned into a bit of a wrestling match. I didn't agree with the Match Penalty, but I understand why they made the call after watching it in slo-mo. For a change, I'd say DoPS got it right.

Kuz: I think we're overreacting a bit. If that steal in the O-zone goes bar down instead of bar up, we're probably not even talking about this. It's been said many times before: "The time to worry is when the player isn't getting any chances"......

Juulsen: Looked pretty damn good last night. Sometimes it takes a game or three to get your "NHL legs".....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

High risk, but I'm okay with him trying stuff. In fact, I wish Tocchet would allow Kuz, AND ONLY KUZ, to play how he wants. He had so much success last year free-wheeling and being creative. 

I think what RT is preaching though is once you understand the systems, you can let your creativity take over. 

Look at Hughes free wheeling at the blue line. His understanding of systems allows him to freewheel while knowing where all his pass options and outlets are as well as where he will have defensive support. This actually generates more chances and opportunities while playing a more defensively sound team game. 

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I wouldn't touch the top two lines unless there was an injury. The stats and our position in the standings, point totals in the league and individually

That along with our bottom 6 is looking really good so I wouldn't want to disrupt that chemistry either. 

I don't remrmber a time when our bottom 6 was generating chances at this rate of frequency. A little more puck luck and bleuger should have had  3 or 4 goals as well as Beau should have 2-3. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just gonna chip in with my 5cents from last nights game. 
I thought that beside the obvious Hughes and Hronek pairing, both Myers and Juulsen played really well last night. They both held their own and laid the body, without making any stupid plays. 
Myers to me is the most improved Dman this season... not reaching for the stars, but good solid hockey at both ends of the rink. 
if he keeps controlling his inner desire to play like Hughes, he is a welcome addition to this D core. 
You can't teach size, and he was our toughest D man during the bubble run. If he can continue like this, he'll be valuable come play offs....

This doesn't mean we don't need another top 4 Dman, but it take a bit of the pressure of getting one, away. 

Besides this Miller and the 3rd line stood out. Boeser is no speed demon, but he fights his corner and probably been our most improved forward. 

Lets hope they can continue this...

Myers regaining his game has been a boon for this team. 

This coaching staff has done an amazing job breaking into smaller groups during practices and really being hands on to make sure everyone is on the same page. There's less opportunity for brain farts and allows our guys to play with speed and purpose which works really well for guys like Myers who is a good skater with size and decent skills. Who knew you just had to turn the switch from his brain to "auto" 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think the team was at the point of stumbling moves yet, and the ones he made failed bcause of injury..........that had the chance to be a very good team, with young guns and solid veterans like Beagle, Sutter, Roussel etc.  I think there was a dressing room split around those loyal to Green and those who didn't like his methods.

Yeah I agree on the dressing room split. It must have been hard. I have no inside knowledge but I just imagined Bo trying to lead from a a quieter and inexperienced stand point but also having a guy like Miller being the loudest voice and one of the most powerful and polarizing forces in the room and on the ice. I remember Petterson starting to put his stamp on the league, making some amazing plays but also some really dumb plays that lead directly to game losing goals. I kept thinking about why no one was sorting that out (where was the leadership) and then imagining having Horvat say one thing and watching Miller do something else. Very easy to see the lack of team cohesion in a situation like that.

I don't think the team was stumbling because of the moves (also liked Beagle, Sutter, Roussel etc.)  but more so just tired of watching everyone else improve around us while seeing the lack of solid planning on our own part. I liked Benning for the most part but he was making to many safe, redundant, and cap wasteful moves by that point in my opinion. It's possible the players saw it that way too. He also just pretended RD was a position he could forget about. It still haunts us to this very day.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree on the dressing room split. It must have been hard. I have no inside knowledge but I just imagined Bo trying to lead from a a quieter and inexperienced stand point but also having a guy like Miller being the loudest voice and one of the most powerful and polarizing forces in the room and on the ice. I remember Petterson starting to put his stamp on the league, making some amazing plays but also some really dumb plays that lead directly to game losing goals. I kept thinking about why no one was sorting that out (where was the leadership) and then imagining having Horvat say one thing and watching Miller do something else. Very easy to see the lack of team cohesion in a situation like that.

I don't think the team was stumbling because of the moves (also liked Beagle, Sutter, Roussel etc.)  but more so just tired of watching everyone else improve around us while seeing the lack of solid planning on our own part. I liked Benning for the most part but he was making to many safe, redundant, and cap wasteful moves by that point in my opinion. It's possible the players saw it that way too. He also just pretended RD was a position he could forget about. It still haunts us to this very day.

When a guy like Tocchet tells you to jump....you tell him "how high!".  Willie D was more like Ned Flanders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I thought that beside the obvious Hughes and Hronek pairing, both Myers and Juulsen played really well last night. They both held their own and laid the body, without making any stupid plays. 
Myers to me is the most improved Dman this season... not reaching for the stars, but good solid hockey at both ends of the rink. 
if he keeps controlling his inner desire to play like Hughes, he is a welcome addition to this D core. 
You can't teach size, and he was our toughest D man during the bubble run. If he can continue like this, he'll be valuable come play offs....

This doesn't mean we don't need another top 4 Dman, but it take a bit of the pressure of getting one, away. 

Besides this Miller and the 3rd line stood out. Boeser is no speed demon, but he fights his corner and probably been our most improved forward. 

Until he got tossed, Hoglander was playing the best game of the year too. I liked how AB stepped up with more minutes given him as well.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

A few thoughts:

Hogs: I think it was just one of those things that got out of hand. Two guys battling for position and it turned into a bit of a wrestling match. I didn't agree with the Match Penalty, but I understand why they made the call after watching it in slo-mo. For a change, I'd say DoPS got it right.

Kuz: I think we're overreacting a bit. If that steal in the O-zone goes bar down instead of bar up, we're probably not even talking about this. It's been said many times before: "The time to worry is when the player isn't getting any chances"......

Juulsen: Looked pretty damn good last night. Sometimes it takes a game or three to get your "NHL legs".....

I know a lot didn't agree with the match penalty but I always refer to the actual wording of the rules when questioning the refs calls. I haven't looked it up myself but I have heard it said that any slewfoot is an automatic match penalty, which would mean that the refs didn't necessarily think he intended to injure but it's just how the wording of the penalty in question works. In that sense they would have got the call and match penalty right as per the rulebook.

Cam anyone confirm if this is indeed the case? I haven't really bothered rewatching it or anything but the distinct sense I got in real time was that at first it was a two minute penalty and then they realized as it was being called that it was a possible slewfoot and then went to video review.

54 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Nicely said. Absolutely love the part about Myers (not) channeling his inner Hughes/Orr. 🤣 Mainly because it is so true.

49 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Looks like this is Blueger level serious. This group does not like to disclose the nature of injuries. No doubt due to the idiotic media in our market. It sucks ... hoping for the best as Suter was starting to prove extremely useful.

48 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Myers regaining his game has been a boon for this team. 

This coaching staff has done an amazing job breaking into smaller groups during practices and really being hands on to make sure everyone is on the same page. There's less opportunity for brain farts and allows our guys to play with speed and purpose which works really well for guys like Myers who is a good skater with size and decent skills. Who knew you just had to turn the switch from his brain to "auto" 

It's almost as if someone pulled Myers aside and explained to him that he's not Bobby Orr and that large 6'7" dmen have limited mobility. They seem to have explained the value of making quick, simple, and safe plays when you want to just be part of a winning formula.

44 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

When a guy like Tocchet tells you to jump....you tell him "how high!".  Willie D was more like Ned Flanders.

Yes Sir!

Happy Jump GIF

The Penguins er I mean Canucks at practice 😄

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think it's more of a case that unless he really pops and starts scoring at a high pace his play can't outweigh the negative value of his contract. He hasn't really been playing poorly or anything and actually has looked pretty decent lately, especially last night. It would be nice to re-acquire a third for him.

Well my point is, is it his fault or is it his utilization?

more dzone starts

no pp1

13mins TOI

gunna be pretty hard to produce with those kinda numbers.

Manny Malhotra was signed for 2.5x3 which was 4.21%
Beauvilliers 4.1mil is 5.09% 

not much difference

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

We need him but I wonder what would happen if an enticing offer came along. 

Say we traded Beau for a 5th or something and then the oils offered us a first for Myers with 5m retained so it only counts as 1m cap hit? Would we take it?  We would now have 5m in cap space and could potentially use the first to grab another player like Hronek? 

If this ever happened, I would ask Myers to sign the 2.5 x 2 extension or we'd have to trade him and let him decide his own fate. 

Unless that team with the enticing offer was one of the 10 on his no-trade list

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Well my point is, is it his fault or is it his utilization?

more dzone starts

no pp1

13mins TOI

gunna be pretty hard to produce with those kinda numbers.

Manny Malhotra was signed for 2.5x3 which was 4.21%
Beauvilliers 4.1mil is 5.09% 

not much difference

Not a big difference between a face-off ace, defensive centre and a soft, small defensively questionable winger?

That is a pretty off base comparable. 

• Cheers 1

I am not in favor of the call against Hogz. Opposing player skated into Hogz. Not knowing Hogz is one strong sob. The take down was as equal. Hogz coming put on top after an elbow to his head.

Glad to not see further suspension. The fine is not warranted, had they looked at the initial contact on the 3rd player issuing contact.