[PGT] Canucks vs Sharks - Nov 20, 2023

Jess

9 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Everything Juulsen does is slow. 

He processes the game slow, he skates slow and he handles the puck slow. 

To be honest, it's infuriating to watch the puck get dumped to his corner. 

I can see him turn and lumber toward the corner to retrieve the puck. 

As he's skating, he knows the forecheck is coming. He starts calculating how fast he can get to the puck before the forecheck comes but by the time he gets to the puck, he's still calculating... finally gets to the puck and thinks about whether to play it off the boards quickly or eat it. (other players already know what they are going to do with the puck at this point and are on their way to executing) 

Anyway, now with the forechecker fully engaged and on him, he now decides what he's going to do with it. 

He's only got 2 options in his playbook. 

He rings it off the boards but by the time this happens, someone is pinching at the point and keeps it in. 

The other option is he eats it and a board scrum ensues. 

It drives me crazy knowing other players would have already finished processing before getting to the puck, they skate quickly to it, and then they play the puck and we transition back. 

I keep telling myself he's an 8D trapped in a difficult role right now but jeez, I'd rather have someone else like Friedman. 

In his "defense" (pun intended heh), he did look better against the Sharks.

(though it was the Sharks 🥸_

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

We'll see how we feel when they're paying OEL $5m+ to play for Fla and they have to cover all the new contracts for the young guys.

Hanging onto OEL, even for a year, would have made a huge difference 

While this is true, how long is a string? They could have waited to the end of his contract, and have had zero retention, but when are they going to start the push. Which player would we get rid of to cover his $7.2M... ? 

The team was losing, and losing and losing.... Petey's contract is coming up. Are we really willing to wait and hope is happy to continue losing? Miller gets older each year, Demko and Hughes 1 year closer to FA... 

I am sure all the pros and cons were weighted up against one another, and with heavy hearts accepted, that despite the massive cap penalty coming up, it was still better, than dragging their heels and continue with OELs Cap hit... In 2 years we'll know, if it was the right decision, when they have to find players to stay competitive with the recapture penalty...

I am just delighted, that we at present have a team that is competitive.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Friedman had a solid game but I was very unhappy with how often he would shoot with zero screen. It kind of disrupted the offensive rhythm at times. However, one of those goes in and he looks like a genius.

That's true, he just doesn't have the offensive IQ to jive completely with some of our more skilled guys. At least he's not giving it up as the last man though trying to do to much back there. Sometimes that's all you can hope for from an 8-10 depth player. 

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe much like Eriksson, he just wasn't the right fit here. He sure struggled here. Be it injuries, or just bad coaching.

Addition by substraction. Like Bo. 

Good change of culture.  The young guns (QH, EP) took over and are showing how it's done. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol, he needs to go to the Myers school for kids who don't know how to turn well under pressure

You've just described Myers to a T up until his last handful of games ... my favorite part is that after you have all the slow calculations going on there is like an out of memory fault and they just slowly backhand it down the side boards to a Stamkos, Hintz, or McDavid so they can easily receive and walk in the slot for an uncontested high danger shot from the slot.

Absolutely maddening ... lol with you 100% 

The thing with Myers was different though. Myers has speed and is actually a really good skater for his size. Myers problem was that he felt like he should be an offensive d man and got himself into trouble by overhandling the puck and not making quick easy plays. 

He'll get to the puck fast and retrieve it quickly but then he'll try to make a play with it and make a bone headed pass. 

He's much improved now because he gets to the puck quickly and moves it out without trying to do too much with it. I bet Foote has had a big influence on that. 

Myers for his own sake should re-sign 3m x 2 and just play a safe game without any expectations on him. He'll deliver if that's the case. 

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The thing with Myers was different though. Myers has speed and is actually a really good skater for his size. Myers problem was that he felt like he should be an offensive d man and got himself into trouble by overhandling the puck and not making quick easy plays. 

He'll get to the puck fast and retrieve it quickly but then he'll try to make a play with it and make a bone headed pass. 

He's much improved now because he gets to the puck quickly and moves it out without trying to do too much with it. I bet Foote has had a big influence on that. 

Myers for his own sake should re-sign 3m x 2 and just play a safe game without any expectations on him. He'll deliver if that's the case. 

Myers is just too tall, and isn't Chara.   Plain and simple.   Does his best though.  

• Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I was thinking about this as well. 

This is the most complete and thorough management team we've ever had. 

Im sure they dissected OEL from every angle before buying him out. 

If they thought keeping him and bringing in a league minimum guy would produce better results than Soucy and Cole, I'm sure they would have done it. 

Cap had a lot to do with this move as I'm sure they could have retained and traded OEL but then we'd have a higher cap hit this year when we needed the space to sign 2 d-men. 

I think they saw that despite OEL still being a serviceable defensemen, our priority was to get TWO good d men on this roster rather than 1 OEL making 7. 26m and a league min guy making 775k for 8m combined... 

Cole and Soucy at a combined 6.25 is WAY better. 

plus OEL's dead cap, you have to factor that in.  Great for this year, after that, not so much

Just now, stawns said:

plus OEL's dead cap, you have to factor that in.  Great for this year, after that, not so much

Still some savings, and the cap will go up too.  The management have weighed the pro and cons.  I like the move.  He was toxic to the culture.  Nice guy by all accounts.  But he's not a leader for this group of players.  Good riddance. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

While this is true, how long is a string? They could have waited to the end of his contract, and have had zero retention, but when are they going to start the push. Which player would we get rid of to cover his $7.2M... ? 

The team was losing, and losing and losing.... Petey's contract is coming up. Are we really willing to wait and hope is happy to continue losing? Miller gets older each year, Demko and Hughes 1 year closer to FA... 

I am sure all the pros and cons were weighted up against one another, and with heavy hearts accepted, that despite the massive cap penalty coming up, it was still better, than dragging their heels and continue with OELs Cap hit... In 2 years we'll know, if it was the right decision, when they have to find players to stay competitive with the recapture penalty...

Even waiting a year would have made a big difference in a buyout, if that's the route they went.  They.literally, picked the most harmful path to walk.  Again, I have no issue with them moving on from him, but it reeked of desperation and they have a stiff price to pay for it.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Still some savings, and the cap will go up too.  The management have weighed the pro and cons.  I like the move.  He was toxic to the culture.  Nice guy by all accounts.  But he's not a leader for this group of players.  Good riddance. 

sorry, paying a player almost $5m a year to play for another team is not "savings"

14 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I would have gladly forgone Garland if it meant Benning didn't make the OEL trade.

Would it have meant one season of crap play from the team? Yeah.

But then all 3 would have walked in the offseason, and there would have been lots of cap space available.

Oh and wouldn't we have had an extra 1st round pick?

This is so true...

And yet. Remember when the 3 players were on the team, everyone were screaming for them to be traded/burried/sent to Robidas Isl (or worse)...

Remember the strange feeling, when Benning made the trade or happiness mixed with fear of OELs slowed down playing...

Unfortunately those fears became real, when he didn't play anywhere near to his contract...

But yes, that would have been far better overall, had we just been riding the pine for one more year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well said. 

This is the smartest management group we've had yet. I just said this but buying out OEL has effectively allowed us to replace him for Soucy, Cole and Lafferty which is a hell of a lot better for the team than just 1 OEL. 

Yes  as @stawnsmentioned, we will have a big penalty in 2 years but I'm sure they factored in

1)the need to win now which has implications on contracts for guys like Petey) 

2) cap increasing to 88m next season. 

The goal for this management group was very clear. Win now. That's why they traded a first for Hronek. That's why they spent on re-signing guys like Miller and kuzy. 

When we look at our cap, all of our players are earning their keep (maybe minus Beau) Garland is debatable but I really like his engine. 

Guaranteed we could have retained 3m and traded OEL but why? That means 3m is on the books this year that prevents us from signing Cole or Soucy so we would still have 1 "decent" defensemen when we needed at least 2. (technically we needed 3- look at what the team looks like when Soucy is injured and we need to play Juulsen and Friedman) 

This is the first time where I've looked at canucks management team and can openly acknowledge that they fully know what they are doing and my couch potato brain can now just chill and enjoy the ride. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Even waiting a year would have made a big difference in a buyout, if that's the route they went.  They.literally, picked the most harmful path to walk.  Again, I have no issue with them moving on from him, but it reeked of desperation and they have a stiff price to pay for it.

Probably right, but the desperation was warranted... He may be playing as a top 2-3 Dman just now, but he wasn't here, and if he continued the same level here as was prior to, we wouldn't be pushing for play offs... 

We need playoffs now, while we still have Petey, QH, Kuz, Brock and Demko.. (and before Miller start to go backwards, should he do so...)

13 hours ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

Hard to blame him for that. We're mostly in cap hell because of the flat cap the past how many seasons. It's hard to blame ANY GM for signing deals when they had no foreknowledge. Because if they knew, reason would dictate GMs wouldn't've signed those deals at those prices in the first place. The projections would have completely changed. Eg. Tyler Myers 6x6 would not be 6x6, etc.

Pearson, Dickinson, OEL, Garland, Myers, Boeser and not having a plan to fill the RD position have put us in cap hell. He should have been cautious due to Covid but signed players like Pearson, Garland, and Dickinson anyway. Always spending to the cap with a crap team was terribly short-sighted. After Covid hit it was especially dumb.

12 hours ago, stawns said:

Given that Oel is back to being a top 2-3 dman, was it really a bad trade?

Yes, horrible. If he was going to spend all those assets and money it should have been for a RD not a redundant 7 million dollar stay at home dman.

8 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Should we go after Bear?

I would rather go after the Walrus. I'm not a fan of Bear but it looks like he's totally on our radar so I'm hoping he looks a lot better than last year. A tiny defensively inept Dman with good skating and decent first pass is not really what we need imo. Hopefully I'm eating crow on this one but ... I'm not stoked.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Probably right, but the desperation was warranted... He may be playing as a top 2-3 Dman just now, but he wasn't here, and if he continued the same level here as was prior to, we wouldn't be pushing for play offs... 

We need playoffs now, while we still have Petey, QH, Kuz, Brock and Demko.. (and before Miller start to go backwards, should he do so...)

OEL may or may not be playing at the same level in a canucks jersey under RTs system. RTs already had him once so RT would know best. One thing that is not really debatable is, had we brought OEL back, his salary is so high that we would effectively bring back the same roster as last season on defence plus 2 league minimum guys and no upgrade on bottom 6 forward where we leveraged a 1m savings from OEL buyout and upgraded from a league min 3c like Dries to a Pius Suter

Hughes Hronek 

OEL Myers 

Juulsen Friedman 

2 weak links vs

Hughes Hronek 

Soucy Myers 

Cole Friedman 

1 weak link. 

Soucy getting injured showed us the need for more depth and how we are still lacking. Imagine OEL or Myers got injured in scenario 1. We'd be left with Hughes, Hronek, OEL and 3 ahl d men... That sounds like a losing streak. 

Personally I'm enjoying this season a lot more watching the boys win with a better roster and hopeful that Petey re-signs at a decent contract price rather than watching the same roster with losses piling up wondering if Petey will re-sign at all and debating whether we need to blow it up. Maximizing utility on OELs contract is definitely not worth risking this alternative scenario. .

This management group should be applauded for all the shrewd moves made. 

Our salary structure is also really good now. 

We've iced a super competitive team while effectively trimming all the fat.

Beau, Myers and Garland are the only questionable ones but Beau is gone after this season. Garland has been the engine of our 3rd line and our bottom 6 has looked amazing. Myers has been receiving a lot of praise from RT and might re-sign for less. 

Everyone else is on a value contracts and hopefully that is precedent for Petey to re-sign at a lower rate than trying to maximize his net worth for himself. Like what is that worth if Petey signs for 10.5m rather than 12.5 because he sees the exciting direction of this team? 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Where is game tread???????Someone slacking?/?

Was thinking the same thing ... I can throw one up but perhaps will give @The Aquaman a chance to wake up and post a GDT, they are up on the list for today.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1