[PGT] Canucks vs Sharks - Nov 20, 2023

Jess

4 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Wednesday's match against the  Avs will be on another level though - especially since they lost in the last minute tonight. Up there with Dallas, the Avs have quite a formidable lineup with depth scoring and one of the more mobile Ds in hockey.

Will be a very good test early in the season for the Nucks.  Don't even mind if the Canucks try to slow it down a bit and get a boring a 1-0 victory - as the late Al Davis says

Just Win, Baby!

Avs have been quite mediocre lately, 5-5 in their last 10.  No idea if schedule or injuries have any part to play in all that.  Just nice to see.

Hope our boys are rested enough after last week to put it to them and win, and win well.

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Late comments.

1. Great to get back in the win column. A lot of people (including me) might have been pressing the panic button if we had lost.

2. And it was a hard-fought game. San Jose is playing a lot better now than earlier in the season and their goalie played well. Instead of everything going in, like the last game against the Sharks, tonight it was tough sledding for the Canucks. We did not get the bounces and had to play a tough high energy game for 60 minutes. And the 5 minute major against Hogs did not help.

3. To re-state the obvious, Hughes was outstanding tonight, much better than in the last game. In the "Statcards" advanced stats he was almost off the chart. And he leads the league in scoring, assists, and plus/minus, playing heavy tough minutes and playing great at both ends of the ice.

4. Nice to see the bottom 6 forwards playing well. Joshua had a great game and the entire line of Joshua, Blueger, and Garland had the ice titled in the right direction pretty much every time they were on the ice.

5. Juulsen had a decent game and played almost 15 minutes. I would not say his game was "good" but it was a lot better than it has been recently. I was wondering how Tocchet could keep putting him back on the ice, but he  held his own tonight. And Tocchet likes the fact that he plays a fairly tough hard-nosed game.  

6. Lots of angst over the Hogs call. I think it was a close call. Sort of looked like two guys pushing and shoving and one guy got pushed over. But in slo-motion, Hogs definitely put his leg behind Lebanc and used leverage to trip him. Having his foot in "slew foot" position might have been an accident, but then using leverage to make the guy fall backwards does not look accidental. The NHL is trying to take that play out of the game. Like I said, it was fairly close to the margin and similar plays are sometimes missed or called minor penalties, but I am not going to complain about the call. I like Hogs and hope he does well but he plays "on the edge" and the referees are not going to cut him any slack.

7. The Canucks were the significantly better team tonight. Some people will say that the Canucks should have done better playing against a team this bad. I think that is wrong. San Jose played with a lot of energy tonight and got good goaltending. If the Canucks play this well every night I think they are a lock to at least make the playoffs and maybe do something once they get there. 

The bottom six are really developing. Joshua is becoming the player that RT thought he could be. Hogs is ready to fill the net. Just a matter of time and TOI. Juulson and Freidman at 14 - 15 minutes is good TOI. I thought they both had pretty good games. We all suspect that PA is looking for another RD and the team's play allows him to drive better deals.  

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Late comments.

1. Great to get back in the win column. A lot of people (including me) might have been pressing the panic button if we had lost.

2. And it was a hard-fought game. San Jose is playing a lot better now than earlier in the season and their goalie played well. Instead of everything going in, like the last game against the Sharks, tonight it was tough sledding for the Canucks. We did not get the bounces and had to play a tough high energy game for 60 minutes. And the 5 minute major against Hogs did not help.

3. To re-state the obvious, Hughes was outstanding tonight, much better than in the last game. In the "Statcards" advanced stats he was almost off the chart. And he leads the league in scoring, assists, and plus/minus, playing heavy tough minutes and playing great at both ends of the ice.

4. Nice to see the bottom 6 forwards playing well. Joshua had a great game and the entire line of Joshua, Blueger, and Garland had the ice titled in the right direction pretty much every time they were on the ice.

5. Juulsen had a decent game and played almost 15 minutes. I would not say his game was "good" but it was a lot better than it has been recently. I was wondering how Tocchet could keep putting him back on the ice, but he  held his own tonight. And Tocchet likes the fact that he plays a fairly tough hard-nosed game.  

6. Lots of angst over the Hogs call. I think it was a close call. Sort of looked like two guys pushing and shoving and one guy got pushed over. But in slo-motion, Hogs definitely put his leg behind Lebanc and used leverage to trip him. Having his foot in "slew foot" position might have been an accident, but then using leverage to make the guy fall backwards does not look accidental. The NHL is trying to take that play out of the game. Like I said, it was fairly close to the margin and similar plays are sometimes missed or called minor penalties, but I am not going to complain about the call. I like Hogs and hope he does well but he plays "on the edge" and the referees are not going to cut him any slack.

7. The Canucks were the significantly better team tonight. Some people will say that the Canucks should have done better playing against a team this bad. I think that is wrong. San Jose played with a lot of energy tonight and got good goaltending. If the Canucks play this well every night I think they are a lock to at least make the playoffs and maybe do something once they get there. 

Thank you, James! What is your opinion on Petey's game?

Almost at 20 games, took us 29 games to get win 13 last year. 

We win on wed and vegas lose to stars and we're first in west (and if boston lose to panthers then we're tied 1st, 2nd overall as played more games than beantown bastards but we do have more reg wins).

Boeser is now 3 games without a goal and the aim is looking off but if he gets back to horvat's office then he'll get more. Miller continues to be the play driver out there every shift.

I still don't like myers out there, especially in close games but cole and hronek are steadying things as hughes continues to do everything. The thing that i do like is that pettey and kuzzy and mik aren't humming yet pointwise but they did look great without the puck last night so maybe they can hit their stride soon.

This is a far better team than i imagined but it is a long season, so we'll see if they can limit the lulls to a few games and take down the avs and vegas over the next few.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now, if only Pettersson could start showing up….

Tochett appears to be shaking things up a little, some shifts with Miller outside of PP, trying to get him going.  Pretty sure he's got something sore.   

It's pretty great that we don't have to depend on just a couple guys right now.    If Miller cools down, EP could heat up.   When they are all on, we seem to be able to beat anyone.  

Nice thing this year is we haven't blown big leads, and we can win low scoring games as well as blow the doors off.   Our worst stretch of hockey so far since the TO game, with an emotional come from behind NYI game.    Even IF thats how things go for the remainder of the season, we still get in.    Unlikely we have our best roster from now until the end of the season too.    Allvin needs to be on the phones, at the very least signing Bear.    Personally think this team isn't missing much.   A Zadarov, Bear  and a Sutter (prime not injured - but a player who excels as a 3C and can move up when needed).  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Never doubted Quinn's offensive skills. I was concerned about his defence no so much the ability to defend, but the physical aspects against skilled, bigger players.

But he's using his Hockey IQ, experience, angles, basically any advantage, be it leverage, or just plain aggressive play to mess up the opposite team. Last night both Petey and Huggy Bear were basically next level Hockey IQ and defensive awareness. What blew my mind is the play where Petey went out and backchecked and completely deked out and ran circles around the San Jose player, and came out of the corner with the puck. Defensive plays can also be things of beauty.

The sad part is, all Virtanen had to do, is watch Miller play. And copy everything he does. Even with Miller on the team as an example of what you want your forward to do.

Jake wasn't smart enough to just watch and learn.

Benning made a lot of mistakes, no question. Petey, Hughes, Miller, and Demko at least weren't mistakes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Late comments.

As usual, great job.    Might as well as well add your posts right under the condensed games.    The two go well together.   

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

The Hogs match penalty was ridiculous. They were BOTH battling it out. Refs were out of control there. Also with the non calls on Petey for the trips and slash on breaking his stick. They probably didn’t like being yelled at for that too many men. A call they were forced to make because of Petey. If that’s the case, that’s pretty petty. 

When I see it from a little more distance and a longer clip, it does look a little more intentional.  Still should have just been 5

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tochett appears to be shaking things up a little, some shifts with Miller outside of PP, trying to get him going.  Pretty sure he's got something sore.   

It's pretty great that we don't have to depend on just a couple guys right now.    If Miller cools down, EP could heat up.   When they are all on, we seem to be able to beat anyone.  

Nice thing this year is we haven't blown big leads, and we can win low scoring games as well as blow the doors off.   Our worst stretch of hockey so far since the TO game, with an emotional come from behind NYI game.    Even IF thats how things go for the remainder of the season, we still get in.    Unlikely we have our best roster from now until the end of the season too.    Allvin needs to be on the phones, at the very least signing Bear.    Personally think this team isn't missing much.   A Zadarov, Bear  and a Sutter (prime not injured - but a player who excels as a 3C and can move up when needed).  

This is where patience is the better road to travel. A lot of teams (Toronto is a good example) keep trading firsts and making moves, trying to find "the missing piece".

Look where Toronto is. Spinning it's wheels. In worse cap situation than ever. With no way they are going to sign Nylander, unless he decides not to get a raise, or  unless they make some moves. With 2 firsts in 3 years and no second round picks.

Now is not the time to fall into the trap of going "all in" .

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1