[PGT] Canucks vs Sharks - Nov 20, 2023

Jess

12 minutes ago, AmyTheGma said:

Very nice insight there.  I suspect they trade Beau off in a separate trade for like a 5th just to clear cap and then sign Bear and leave enough cap to go after a real d at the deadline when the cap hits are far less.  Probably use next years 1st and one of the prospects to bring that in.

I think that would be the ideal situation. If we get a legit top4 guy we could have Bear as the 7D going into the playoffs which is a pretty deep blue line 

• Like 1

I have no issue with the Hoglander penalty. It was a dangerous, dirty play and Lebanc got hurt. But saying that, I love how Hoglander has changed his game. He's a player now. He's not afraid, he plays fast and physical. 

This game was closer than I was hoping, not sure how far this Canucks team will go (playoffs). Soucy and Suter have been injured and it looks like it really affects the team, just those two guys out. The PK isn't very good either. 

A win is a win, but I'm not jumping for joy only beating the worst team in the league by 2 goals.

17 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

RT on Mayers: "He’s been one of our best defensemen. Just the way we want him to play, the way our system is, he’s playing it. And he’s embracing it. He’s not getting in trouble. He knows that he’s making the right play. He’s making the first pass to the right guy all the time.” 

Myers is another guy on this team who plays RT hockey very well

I know RT has been very complimentary of Myers but thanks for the added insight of the actual hockey plays RT talks about. When did RT say that? 

We are seeing what RT has been preaching. Predictable hockey. 

It allows our guys to play faster and eliminate mind farts. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think that would be the ideal situation. If we get a legit top4 guy we could have Bear as the 7D going into the playoffs which is a pretty deep blue line 

Yea I think we could actually compete with the big boys with that lineup.  Maybe if we are really lucky we swap Garly out for a similarly costed power forward, but that seems like a pipe dream.

2 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

1st career major, no suspension or fine history, no injury on the play. Should be a fine at the most, but he's a Canuck, so I expect he gets 3 games.

I'd be surprised if it were more than 1 game. $5,000 fine most likely.

LeBlank only missed the last 90 seconds of the period. He was back after the intermission. Probably concussion protocol. 

21 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I don't understand the Benning hate either. 

There were 4 teams that passed on Petterson. 

There were 6 teams that passed on Hughes. 

Miller was obtained with just a first. 

Boeser was a late first

Demko and Hogz were 2nd rounders 

His big misses were Virtanen and Juolevi but when looking at this team, the core is pretty much Benning's guys. 

Current roster that are Benning guys 

Miller

Boeser

PDG 

Petey

Hoglander

Garland

Hughes

Myers 

Demko

The way I see this is... 

The first line is all Benning guys

The star on our 2nd line (Petey) is Benning 

The engine that runs lines 3 and 4 are Benning guys (Garland and Hogz) 

Our captain and perhaps the best player in the league 1D is a Benning guy. 

Top 3 goalie in the league (Demko) is a Benning guy. 

There is a question mark whether Benning would be able to do what current regime did (overhaul management and coaching) and make really good FA signings, trade Horvat for Hronek  etc but there is no denying that Benning's fingerprints are all over this team. 

No question mark.  He had 7 years to get the right head coach for this team.  That should be more than enough time to fill that very important position.  A better position for Jim Benning would've be assistant GM (much like Dave Nonis).  And certainly not for him to have a guy like John Weisbrod as his #2.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

14 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

1st career major, no suspension or fine history, no injury on the play. Should be a fine at the most, but he's a Canuck, so I expect he gets 3 games.

I'm thinking Bettman seeking to have him declared a 'dangerous offender' with the Federal Government.  Had he been wearing a Laffs jersey, a small $ fine.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Boeser was a late first

His big misses were Virtanen and Juolevi but when looking at this team, the core is pretty much Benning's guys. 

Miller

Boeser

PDG 

Petey

Hoglander

Garland

Hughes

Myers 

Demko

The way I see this is... 

There is a question mark whether Benning would be able to do what current regime did (overhaul management and coaching) and make really good FA signings, trade Horvat for Hronek  etc but there is no denying that Benning's fingerprints are all over this team. 

And thats exactly it. I’m not sure Benning would have made some of the tough choices either or found the right coach/built a tremendous coaching staff that has tapped into a deeper compete level in guys like Boeser. I dont have a single issue with Benning being let go, time had run its course and a change was due. I just respect what he did for this organization, just as I respect Gillis going all in and almost bringing us a cup. Too many fans here cant separate the two and blame Benning for everything, the dark days were largely due to Gillis and some due to Nonis who also struggled to draft. 
Every GM has a bad pick a bad signing and a bad trade. We happened to make a bad signing during rebuilding years, which doesnt affect our ability to contend or shorten the window when it hasn’t even begun. The bad signing led to a “bad” trade which Garland has been good for us, OEL was a league wide top 10 shutdown dman in 2021-22 and was utilized defensively in his short time here, he was playing through injury. OEL has been a major contributor to FLA… that buyout isnt looking great. The bad picks of OJ and JV, who takes blame for JV though? Benning made the selection, the scouting department did the work, Aquaweenie had his mind up on Virtanen…JB had only been hired a month prior. As for OJ, he was a failure  mainly due to injuries and surgeries. It’s unfortunate, we did need a dman at some point via a 1st round selection. The last dman was Bourdon… prior to that was Allen. 18 years between dmen. Shit happens and nothing is a guarantee. Im happy we have the staff we have now and seeing the success we are having in a very short manner. Things are lookin up

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No question mark.  He had 7 years to get the right head coach for this team.  That should be more than enough time to fill that very important position.  A better position for Jim Benning would've be assistant GM (much like Dave Nonis).  And certainly not for him to have a guy like John Weisbrod as his #2.

I think that's a fair comment. 

I agree that there was more than enough time to identify lack of structure and put in the right coach. 

Either way I'm pretty happy with the way things are now. 

We have the right core that Benning drafted and now we have the right management team to turn the raw pieces into a championship calibre team which may have never materialized under Benning 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah it would have been interesting to see how the canucks would have responded had SJ scored first. 

Glad they were resilient. RT talked about how the guys were starting to get a little frustrated but managed to stick with the game plan. I'mglad they got rewarded. Also helps that Hughes put the team on his back for that first goal. 

This is what a really good leader and Captain looks like. For those who thought a letter on their jersey was just a patch?

This is how Linden led this team and what we have been missing for decades.

I can't wait to see him lead us into battle in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

And thats exactly it. I’m not sure Benning would have made some of the tough choices either or found the right coach/built a tremendous coaching staff that has tapped into a deeper compete level in guys like Boeser. I dont have a single issue with Benning being let go, time had run its course and a change was due. I just respect what he did for this organization, just as I respect Gillis going all in and almost bringing us a cup. Too many fans here cant separate the two and blame Benning for everything, the dark days were largely due to Gillis and some due to Nonis who also struggled to draft. 
Every GM has a bad pick a bad signing and a bad trade. We happened to make a bad signing during rebuilding years, which doesnt affect our ability to contend or shorten the window when it hasn’t even begun. The bad signing led to a “bad” trade which Garland has been good for us, OEL was a league wide top 10 shutdown dman in 2021-22 and was utilized defensively in his short time here, he was playing through injury. OEL has been a major contributor to FLA… that buyout isnt looking great. The bad picks of OJ and JV, who takes blame for JV though? Benning made the selection, the scouting department did the work, Aquaweenie had his mind up on Virtanen…JB had only been hired a month prior. As for OJ, he was a failure  mainly due to injuries and surgeries. It’s unfortunate, we did need a dman at some point via a 1st round selection. The last dman was Bourdon… prior to that was Allen. 18 years between dmen. Shit happens and nothing is a guarantee. Im happy we have the staff we have now and seeing the success we are having in a very short manner. Things are lookin up

Great post. Couldn't say it any better 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Energy level for both sides were pretty off the chart. Their goalie was outstanding. If the Coilers were smart they would dump a 1st and whatever it takes to get that guy asap!

Smart Oilers = oxymoron. What have the done with their heap of 1st overall?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is what a really good leader and Captain looks like. For those who thought a letter on their jersey was just a patch?

This is how Linden led this team and what we have been missing for decades.

I can't wait to see him lead us into battle in the playoffs.

It's honestly incredible to see what he is doing on the blue line. RT talks about Quinn walking the line all the time and talked about how difficult it was as a forward to cover a dman when you had no idea which way he was gonna go. 

RT was talking about how Quinn added a few moves on the blue line this summer. I really think it's a cheat code. 

The problem with Quinn was that while doing amazing things, he used to turn it over sometimes which led to transition and goals against. I believe the things he worked on this summer were things that gave him outs when walking the blue line to eliminate these turnovers and keep puck possession and create better looks. 

It's like he's programmed in that if a forward angles him off one way, he already has 2 moves at his disposable to escape it and find either a skating or passing lane. 

He's literally changing the game of hockey for defensemen. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I'd be surprised if it were more than 1 game. $5,000 fine most likely.

LeBlank only missed the last 90 seconds of the period. He was back after the intermission. Probably concussion protocol. 

I agree, I think Hogz gets 1 game, as a slap on the wrist. 

Gotta say though, Tocchet is probably proud of Hogz for battling.

Hope they switch up the Top 6, DiGiuseppe looks snake-bit. 

Hoglander - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

DiGiuseppe - Suter/Blueger - Garland

46 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Boeser was a late first

Miller

Boeser

PDG 

Petey

Hoglander

Garland

Hughes

Myers 

Demko

The way I see this is... 

Gotta thank benning for signing long term to Quinn 

if petey was signed to the longer term and Quinn to the bridge deal how much would Quinn get today? Highest in the league or top 3? Quinn should be double his current cap hit

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I think there's something to be said about playing for a coach who wants to win and have the team put up alot of points. Id rather play for a guy like that than the guy who's just itching to dress scrubs on the PP if the game script allows. 

Im sure Petey was happy he at least had an opportunity to try keep pace. 

I think RT is a true players coach. While preaching systems, he knows his stars will buy in if they put up points while he knows his bottom 6 will buy in if he highlights effort and solid play. 

The guy is pressing all the right buttons so far

I thinks a Coach like RT shows that success can be had when the players buy into playing as a team. So many times we caved into players wants and needs over the team. Coaches and management seem to take team success over any one individual players wants. A recipe for success IMO. 

We just need to keep pace of keeping players who buy into it and rid ourselves of players who have their own agendas.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think that's a fair comment. 

I agree that there was more than enough time to identify lack of structure and put in the right coach. 

Either way I'm pretty happy with the way things are now. 

We have the right core that Benning drafted and now we have the right management team to turn the raw pieces into a championship calibre team which may have never materialized under Benning 

I should add, no GM is without faults.  Even a solid GM like Brian Burke had his faults (his inability to get a good starting goalie).

But as you said, the important thing is that the team is going in the right direction (to which Benning should get some credit for that but that a change in that position [GM] was required).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1