Hughes vs Makar -- Battle of the Titans

HKSR

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Wow.  I take back everything I said before... Hughes has a long ways to go.  Look at Makar getting right in the dirty area to pot that one.  He does it all!

The dude went five-hole.  In traffic.  I'd like to see #43 try that.

Or not?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Miss Korea @Alflives

Alfie tried to warn you about Makar, but you don't seem to listen.  He's made of glass and is a walking infirmary.  Hughes gonna take the Norris without even a fight...

Makar is a first ballot HHOF player. He’s brilliant. But to be brilliant he must carry the puck at top speed through high collision areas. Those guys get injured a lot, especially their knees. Makar isn’t a passer of the puck; he’s a carrier of the puck. And, like Bure, he’s going to have a shortened level of elite play due to injury to his knees. Once his knees are gone then he’s done because he isn’t a passer. It’s sad really because he’s brilliant to watch. But it’s just the way it is. He wouldn’t be great if he played any other way. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Makar is a first ballot HHOF player. He’s brilliant. But to be brilliant he must carry the puck at top speed through high collision areas. Those guys get injured a lot, especially their knees. Makar isn’t a passer of the puck; he’s a carrier of the puck. And, like Bure, he’s going to have a shortened level of elite play due to injury to his knees. Once his knees are gone then he’s done because he isn’t a passer. It’s sad really because he’s brilliant to watch. But it’s just the way it is. He would be great if he played any other way. 

This is true.  I agree.  Bure is a good example.  Of course Orr is the best example of a puck carrier with a shortened career.  Coffey carried the puck too but he was very elusive, similar to Hughes.  I see Hughes as having a career like Coffey.  Makar will maybe have a couple of Bobby Orr years, but unfortunately, like you say, I also feel his career will be shortened due to injury.  Or at the very least, he may never play a full season in the NHL...

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  I agree.  Bure is a good example.  Of course Orr is the best example of a puck carrier with a shortened career.  Coffey carried the puck too but he was very elusive, similar to Hughes.  I see Hughes as having a career like Coffey.  Makar will maybe have a couple of Bobby Orr years, but unfortunately, like you say, I also feel his career will be shortened due to injury.  Or at the very least, he may never play a full season in the NHL...

Coffee didn’t carry the puck through high collision areas. Like you say he was elusive like Hughes. Makar Carrie’s the puck is straight lines ( he definitely not an elusive skater other than with explosive quickness) so he’s a much more vulnerable target. 
Doug Harvey was an elusive d man who used his skating to create space and time to pass the puck. That’s how Coffee and Hughes play. It makes for a long and illustrious career. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Miss Korea @Alflives

Alfie tried to warn you about Makar, but you don't seem to listen.  He's made of glass and is a walking infirmary.  Hughes gonna take the Norris without even a fight...

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Makar is a first ballot HHOF player. He’s brilliant. But to be brilliant he must carry the puck at top speed through high collision areas. Those guys get injured a lot, especially their knees. Makar isn’t a passer of the puck; he’s a carrier of the puck. And, like Bure, he’s going to have a shortened level of elite play due to injury to his knees. Once his knees are gone then he’s done because he isn’t a passer. It’s sad really because he’s brilliant to watch. But it’s just the way it is. He wouldn’t be great if he played any other way. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Coffee didn’t carry the puck through high collision areas. Like you say he was elusive like Hughes. Makar Carrie’s the puck is straight lines ( he definitely not an elusive skater other than with explosive quickness) so he’s a much more vulnerable target. 
Doug Harvey was an elusive d man who used his skating to create space and time to pass the puck. That’s how Coffee and Hughes play. It makes for a long and illustrious career. 

So Makar is definitely nursing some kind of lower body injury right now.  But comparing him to exceptional cases like Orr and Bure is ridiculous.  Here is a 4-second clip of the Bergman and Mahovlich going for the double kill on #4 - one of many, many examples.

orr.gif.d70027bbcaf99c9fbc84b7ebdf2a6e16.gif

Orr played in a much dirtier league which completely failed to protect him from dirty hits.  But his recovery process was absolutely ridiculous.  Just open the knee right up, take out the torn cartilage/meniscus, and rush him back as soon as possible.  No arthroscopic surgery tech.  No rehab.  He probably tore his ACL and had to rely on 1970s technology to repair his knee.

Fast forward 20 years, and Pavel Bure's knee buckles in on itself and he tears his ACL.

bure.gif.287b9a7e047cb49045c24ba13f0c1a9d.gif

Two failed reconstructive surgeries (including a re-tear) later, Bure is out of the league.  The mismanagement of his knee by the Canucks, Panthers and Rangers organizations is actually well documented. 

You guys aren't actually watching other teams play hockey and are just immediately making assumptions based off things that happened nearly 50 years ago.  As I've already stated before in this thread, the primary injury concern with Makar moving forward is concussions.  He received two of them within 11 days of each other and the Avs organization was criticized for not monitoring this correctly.

makar1.gif.c45a15571fa58df45bd2c5b734383950.gif makar2.gif.43c8c28ef41fe3b122b14b5d89eb33cc.gif

As you guys can see, neither of those plays occurred with Makar trying to blast through traffic.  He has also picked up injuries this season, with none of them on puck.

makar3.gif.451b6bd66dcf7007f0ffa808db4afa20.gif makar4.gif.3b3e75d1f3adbb186e265f6771412a04.gif

Now Makar barely made it for opening night this year due to him recovering from some other lower-body injury over the summer.  The Okposo hit last month caused him to miss games, and we can only speculate whether or not last night (he sat most of the 3rd period and OT against the Ducks Saturday night) had anything to do with it.  Avs fans are suggesting he took a shot to the calf near the end of the 2nd period and it just went dead on him (UFC fans will know what I mean).

So forgive me when I call bullshit on you guys trying to compare Bobby Orr's injuries to Cale Makar.  All of Makar's injuries I've highlighted here are from him playing defence.  Before the Okposo hit, it wasn't his knees getting banged up.  Maybe Makar's knees are injured, or maybe they're not.  But medical technology has advanced dramatically in the last 50 years.  And the league has taken enough measures to protect players from such blatant knee-on-knee collisions.  They still occasionally happen, but not to the frequency of the Original Six era.

So stop being lazy, gentlemen.  Do your research, show the evidence and put in some damn legwork.

@Alflives Here is a compilation of clips showing you have absolutely no clue what kind of game Makar plays.  "Carries the puck in straight lines, not an elusive skater".  Sure.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

So Makar is definitely nursing some kind of lower body injury right now.  But comparing him to exceptional cases like Orr and Bure is ridiculous.  Here is a 4-second clip of the Bergman and Mahovlich going for the double kill on #4 - one of many, many examples.

Orr played in a much dirtier league which completely failed to protect him from dirty hits.  But his recovery process was absolutely ridiculous.  Just open the knee right up, take out the torn cartilage/meniscus, and rush him back as soon as possible.  No arthroscopic surgery tech.  No rehab.  He probably tore his ACL and had to rely on 1970s technology to repair his knee.

Fast forward 20 years, and Pavel Bure's knee buckles in on itself and he tears his ACL.

Two failed reconstructive surgeries (including a re-tear) later, Bure is out of the league.  The mismanagement of his knee by the Canucks, Panthers and Rangers organizations is actually well documented. 

You guys aren't actually watching other teams play hockey and are just immediately making assumptions based off things that happened nearly 50 years ago.  As I've already stated before in this thread, the primary injury concern with Makar moving forward is concussions.  He received two of them within 11 days of each other and the Avs organization was criticized for not monitoring this correctly.

makar1.gif.c45a15571fa58df45bd2c5b734383950.gif makar2.gif.43c8c28ef41fe3b122b14b5d89eb33cc.gif

As you guys can see, neither of those plays occurred with Makar trying to blast through traffic.  He has also picked up injuries this season, with none of them on puck.

makar3.gif.451b6bd66dcf7007f0ffa808db4afa20.gif makar4.gif.3b3e75d1f3adbb186e265f6771412a04.gif

Now Makar barely made it for opening night this year due to him recovering from some other lower-body injury over the summer.  The Okposo hit last month caused him to miss games, and we can only speculate whether or not last night (he sat most of the 3rd period and OT against the Ducks Saturday night) had anything to do with it.  Avs fans are suggesting he took a shot to the calf near the end of the 2nd period and it just went dead on him (UFC fans will know what I mean).

So forgive me when I call bullshit on you guys trying to compare Bobby Orr's injuries to Cale Makar.  All of Makar's injuries I've highlighted here are from him playing defence.  Before the Okposo hit, it wasn't his knees getting banged up.  Maybe Makar's knees are injured, or maybe they're not.  But medical technology has advanced dramatically in the last 50 years.  And the league has taken enough measures to protect players from such blatant knee-on-knee collisions.  They still occasionally happen, but not to the frequency of the Original Six era.

So stop being lazy, gentlemen.  Do your research, show the evidence and put in some damn legwork.

@Alflives Here is a compilation of clips showing you have absolutely no clue what kind of game Makar plays.  "Carries the puck in straight lines, not an elusive skater".  Sure.

Clearly you love Makar so only see what your bias allows you to. How do posters react to Makar’s knees on the Avs’ home message board? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Clearly you love Makar so only see what your bias allows you to. How do posters react to Makar’s knees on the Avs’ home message board? 

I just don't like it when people here say stupid shit that is untrue.  And when it comes to pretty much anything related to hockey, you're basically always wrong.  Read my post again and show me some evidence that suggests what you said is actually right.

You're particularly crummy in that this is the second time in two days I've called you out for essentially gloating about other players getting injured.  That is some scumbag shit right here.  Makar is hurt and you're here saying "I told you so".  What the fuck.

Trying to suggest Makar is a pure north-south skater.  Jesus Christ.

Edited by Miss Korea

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

This is likely why Makar was recovering this off season...

The knee on knee.  The thing that posters on here are talking about.

https://www.hawksinsider.com/Cale-Makar-Receives-Dirty-Knee-on-Knee-Hit-Gets-Shaken-Up-134626

The Okposo hit impacted his right knee.  This knee on knee impacted his left knee.

So yes, his knees have been impacted along with his head. 

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This is likely why Makar was recovering this off season...

The knee on knee.  The thing that posters on here are talking about.

https://www.hawksinsider.com/Cale-Makar-Receives-Dirty-Knee-on-Knee-Hit-Gets-Shaken-Up-134626

The Okposo hit impacted his right knee.  This knee on knee impacted his left knee.

So yes, his knees have been impacted along with his head. 

This is the 2022 Cup Final.  Why was Makar recuperating a whole summer after the fact?

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

This is the 2022 Cup Final.  Why was Makar recuperating a whole summer after the fact?

Just speculating.  He did say it has been a lower body injury that has been nagging him:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/colorado-avalanche/news/how-cale-makars-off-season-was-a-mental-battle

"Stuff like this, the more you work on it the better it's going to get. I'm hoping just with the more ice and stuff like that, that it'll just start feeling smoother and everything," he told the media after Friday's practice. "It's just been kind of a long process. Stuff never really gets worse but it hasn't really gotten much better ... but I'm confident that hopefully it'll just continue to hold up." 

Sounds more like knees than say a groin, thigh or shin lol

But fact is that both of his knees have seen considerable impact.  It's a very plausible assumption that he might have knee issues.

Edited by HKSR

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Just speculating.

But fact is that both of his knees have seen considerable impact.  It's not a myth that he MIGHT have knee issues.

There is one ESPN article that references a hip injury but it's for EA NHL 24, so I doubt the veracity of it.  The Avalanche are notorious for never disclosing the nature of their injuries.

Makar did miss significant time last year (mostly due to concussions), but so did everyone else.  Mack, Landy, Byram, Helm... my Avs friend was on suicide watch all year long.  But comparing Makar to two players who played in completely different eras and received completely inadequate medical care is... absurd.  

I just feel like there are people here who actually want to see Makar go down because it clears the path for Hughes to win the Norris.  Anyone who reads that circlejerk from last night would come to the same conclusion.  I am a fan of hockey, and of its best players.  Cale Makar is the best, and the way he plays is truly captivating.  He brings out the best in all his counterparts (ie. Hughes) and inspires children to improve their skating the way he does.  I want Makar to be healthy so that when we play Colorado, Hughes can beat them at their best.  No self-respecting fan would have it any other way.

55 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

There is one ESPN article that references a hip injury but it's for EA NHL 24, so I doubt the veracity of it.  The Avalanche are notorious for never disclosing the nature of their injuries.

Makar did miss significant time last year (mostly due to concussions), but so did everyone else.  Mack, Landy, Byram, Helm... my Avs friend was on suicide watch all year long.  But comparing Makar to two players who played in completely different eras and received completely inadequate medical care is... absurd.  

I just feel like there are people here who actually want to see Makar go down because it clears the path for Hughes to win the Norris.  Anyone who reads that circlejerk from last night would come to the same conclusion.  I am a fan of hockey, and of its best players.  Cale Makar is the best, and the way he plays is truly captivating.  He brings out the best in all his counterparts (ie. Hughes) and inspires children to improve their skating the way he does.  I want Makar to be healthy so that when we play Colorado, Hughes can beat them at their best.  No self-respecting fan would have it any other way.

I agree.  I think Makar vs Hughes is fantastic for hockey and for its fans.  If Hughes wins the Norris, it'd be better if there is no asterisk next to it (ie. Makar was injured).  As you know, I believe Hughes CAN win it fair and square, so I don't think an injury to Makar is a good thing.

With that being said though, I do think Makar is dealing with an injury, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of his knees.

Also, I think most Canucks fans will sing a different tune if/when Makar suits up in a Team Canada jersey.

Edited by HKSR

These 2 hits are literally exactly the same. C’mon Bob. Don’t be that guy. And nobody wants Makar to get injured. Again, don’t be that guy. 

Orr and Makar are alike in many ways. This is actually a compliment to Makar. I am comparing Makar to the greatest defenceman in NHL history.

Players are going to go after Makar’s knees in the same way they went after Orr’s knees. The Colton hit is a perfect example of this. 

IMG_0275.png

IMG_0278.png

Edited by Elias Pettersson

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

These 2 hits are literally exactly the same. C’mon Bob. Don’t be that guy. And nobody wants Makar to get injured. Again, don’t be that guy. 

Orr and Makar are alike in many ways. This is actually a compliment to Makar. I am comparing Makar to the greatest defenceman in NHL history.

Players are going to go after Makar’s knees in the same way they went after Orr’s knees. The Colton hit is a perfect example of this. 

Don't try playing that game with me.  You're not offering praise by saying he's going to end up like Bobby Orr.  You and Alf are criticizing Makar by saying his knees are going to end up like Bobby Orr's.  That's not praise.  You've actually spent more time here comparing their knees than their actual skillsets.  "He skates in straight lines so he's more vulnerable - he wouldn't be great if he played any other way" "He's made of glass Hughes is gonna win the Norris without a fight".  Come on.  You guys were so confident in your analogies to the point that you felt your opinion was validated by Makar's latest injury: "We tried to warn you but you didn't listen".  What a disgraceful thing to say.

Compared to Quinn Hughes, Makar is the more aggressive skater - one who isn't afraid of contact and will try to beat opponents with his edgework.  Contrary to any ridiculous assertion that he only skates in straight lines, he is likely the best lateral skating defenceman in the league.  His forward counterpart is Sidney Crosby, who uses his absurd core/leg strength to maintain puck control in the dirty areas.  Neither of them use pure speed or acceleration alone to create space (ie. McDavid or MacKinnon).  In all fairness, Makar can and has used his explosive skating ability to blow through defenders in the neutral zone, but his ability to control the puck in the offensive zone is a matter of edgework, not speed.

Now that playstyle does inevitably lend itself to more injuries, but watch the clips I laid out again.  Half of them aren't even him on the attack.  They're on defence where he doesn't even have the puck.  What does him getting blindsided by Jeff Carter have anything to do with Bobby Orr or their styles of play?  What does him blocking shots with his hand or calf have anything to do with Bobby Orr or their styles of play?  The answer is simple: it doesn't.  And so while your ill-fitted analogy might work in very limited perspectives, it makes no sense to compare the medicine of a guy who played against the likes of Johnny Bower and Gordie Howe to someone born 50 years later.  Compared to medical science in 2023, do you really think those doctors who worked on Orr's knees had any fucking idea what they were doing?

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Don't try playing that game with me.  You're not offering praise by saying he's going to end up like Bobby Orr.  You and Alf are criticizing Makar by saying his knees are going to end up like Bobby Orr's.  That's not praise.  You've actually spent more time here comparing their knees than their actual skillsets.  "He skates in straight lines so he's more vulnerable - he wouldn't be great if he played any other way" "He's made of glass Hughes is gonna win the Norris without a fight".  Come on.  You guys were so confident in your analogies to the point that you felt your opinion was validated by Makar's latest injury: "We tried to warn you but you didn't listen".  What a disgraceful thing to say.

Compared to Quinn Hughes, Makar is the more aggressive skater - one who isn't afraid of contact and will try to beat opponents with his edgework.  Contrary to any ridiculous assertion that he only skates in straight lines, he is likely the best lateral skating defenceman in the league.  His forward counterpart is Sidney Crosby, who uses his absurd core/leg strength to maintain puck control in the dirty areas.  Neither of them use pure speed or acceleration alone to create space (ie. McDavid or MacKinnon).  In all fairness, Makar can and has used his explosive skating ability to blow through defenders in the neutral zone, but his ability to control the puck in the offensive zone is a matter of edgework, not speed.

Now that playstyle does inevitably lend itself to more injuries, but watch the clips I laid out again.  Half of them aren't even him on the attack.  They're on defence where he doesn't even have the puck.  What does him getting blindsided by Jeff Carter have anything to do with Bobby Orr or their styles of play?  What does him blocking shots with his hand or calf have anything to do with Bobby Orr or their styles of play?  The answer is simple: it doesn't.  And so while your ill-fitted analogy might work in very limited perspectives, it makes no sense to compare the medicine of a guy who played against the likes of Johnny Bower and Gordie Howe to someone born 50 years later.  Compared to medical science in 2023, do you really think those doctors who worked on Orr's knees had any fucking idea what they were doing?

Did you actually watch Bobby Orr play?  He was blindsided and hit more times than a pinata at a kids birthday party.  He blocked shots recklessly on a daily basis.  Just like Makar.  So, you are out to lunch on what you are saying.  Alf is 75 years old.  He actually WATCHED Bobby Orr play live.  So, he knows EXACTLY what he is talking about.  Unlike you.  And I am pretty sure I am much older than you as well, and I was able to catch Orr replays while watching Hockey Night in Canada in the early 1980's.  Bobby Orr was Don Cherry's favourite player, so he had highlights of Orr on Coach's Corner every single week almost.  

Makar plays a very similar style to Orr, almost reckless in the way they play the game.  They are such good skaters that they are able to get to pretty much every area of the ice that they want to.  You even admit that Makar is the more aggressive skater than Hughes and you even admit that his playstyle will lend itself to more injuries, so what exactly is the problem?  Are you just pissed that we are attacking your favourite player and that you think we purposely want him injured?  Where did anyone say that they actually want Makar injured so that Hughes can win the Norris?  Please show me that exact quote.

Also, one more thing.  Makar has been injured every single year since he entered the NHL.  This year is no different than any other year.  Same as Bobby Orr.  We are not saying it is just his knees, it is the way that both of them played that they become more injury prone because of their aggressive nature on the ice and the way they attack the opposition when they have the puck.  So, they will get different injuries, not just with the knees.  Lots of players are like this.  Podkolzin is a good example right here in Vancouver.  He plays recklessly at times and has been injured often, even back when he played in Russia.  He has had several concussions already, same as Makar.  I am sure Bobby Orr suffered many concussions in his time.  Back then, they just put you back on the ice.  When Pat Quinn knocked him out I am sure he had suffered a major concussion...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/4/2023 at 12:29 AM, Alflives said:

Park took Borque under his wing and taught him a thing or two as well.   How to, and when to pinch, and how to use his man body to rub guys out and where to position himself to reduce scoring chances.     IMO Borque was the Gordie Howe of defenseman, for hockey.   Easily could have kept playing.   Last year of his career, the Norris finalist.   Most complete D i've seen.    Makar is his own player.   Not sure how he'd of done in a different era where you could basically throw a huge hit when guys were trolly tracking,   or stick out your knee (Marchment, Cooke, Kasper and a dozen others like them) and get a two minute penalty but injure a player intentionally (and yes, probably pay the price later for doing it).     Bure was way more elusive.    And probably not as brittle.   He paid a huge price for coming in at top speed, doing his thing and then using the boards behind the net  as air bags. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:39 AM, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I saw it right from the rookie year. The NHL was blessed with three insane talents in one year with Hughes, Fox, and Makar, though Fox was a step behind Hughes and Makar as a rookie. Add in guys like Dahlin, McAvoy, and Heiskanen and it's a bit crazy how many good defensemen have entered the league recently.

Thanks for bringing that up AJ.  Was heavy on the horn too back then.   It's like the 70-90's again.   Took a long time for this to show up again.    Orr, Potvin, Park, Robinson, , Howe, Langway  (nobody like him but had to put him out there), Borque, Coffey, Murphy,  Housley, Chelios (imagine a bit bigger guy then QHs, but nasty as a raving lunatic...he was unreal in the early to mid 90's ... took us out almost single handedly after our cup run) Al Mac, Leetch, Zubov, Stevens, Konstantinov, Blake, Lidstrom, Pronger and Niedermayer.  

For 2-3 decades, it was normal to have some very special defenseman, and that's just the cream.    There were others like Wilson,  Lowe, Huddy, Hatcher, Carlyle, Babych etc.  

Glad we finally get to see some of that again.   It's got the same feel as what it used it be like.   We could add some names to the mix right now as well.   And hopefully more are on their way.  

As far as their draft years Makar and Heiskanen, Fox in the mix already, Dahlin, QHs and other guys as well YTBD.     It's nice to see to say the least.   Save percentages going way, way down, and for me anyways, that's been fueled by the quality of young PMDs entering the field.   Plus we still have some old vets that aren't too shabby either. 

On 12/4/2023 at 2:57 PM, Miss Korea said:

If you've ever had your knee re-arranged, which i've had, it's never the same after.   These things do pile up.   Also good job on showing his concussions.    Not an easy thing to come back from either. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Quinn Hughes - 51 points , +32

Cale Makar - 48 points , +7

Quinn Hughes is the favourite for the Norris trophy right now…

+/- is a team stat, but it'd be pretty hard to ignore if Hughes breaks +40 by the end of the season while being either #1 or #2 in points.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

+/- is a team stat, but it'd be pretty hard to ignore if Hughes breaks +40 by the end of the season while being either #1 or #2 in points.

Hughes is on pace to be +64.  He's also on pace for 102 points.  If he hits both those numbers I don't think you can deny him the Norris trophy...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes is on pace to be +64.  He's also on pace for 102 points.  If he hits both those numbers I don't think you can deny him the Norris trophy...

Yeah, that would be one of the greatest seasons by any defenceman in the past few decades.  One might even call it a generational performance 🙂

• ThereItIs 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Quinn Hughes - 64 points  +34

Cale Makar - 60 points  +12

Hughes even has a game in hand.  As of right now, it's Quinn Hughes for the Norris.  Also, with Lindholm on the PP, look for Hughes to rack up even more assists.  He had 2 tonight from Lindholm tip ins.

Hughes is also on pace for 105 points.  The only defencemen in NHL history to score more than 105 points in one NHL season are Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey.  😳

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Update:

Quinn Hughes - 64 points  +34

Cale Makar - 60 points  +12

Hughes even has a game in hand.  As of right now, it's Quinn Hughes for the Norris.  Also, with Lindholm on the PP, look for Hughes to rack up even more assists.  He had 2 tonight from Lindholm tip ins.

Hughes is also on pace for 105 points.  The only defencemen in NHL history to score more than 105 points in one NHL season are Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey.  😳

So what you're telling me is Quinn Hughes contract extension will be 13-14m+x8 e5