Hughes vs Makar -- Battle of the Titans

HKSR

On 4/6/2024 at 9:36 AM, Slegr said:

One major concern about Hughes' ability to win the Norris is the mass amount of eastern media who have votes and who seem to get pleasure in ignoring Vancouver's achievements.

The front page headline on Sportsnet Hockey website this morning is a story about sneak peak at NHL Award votes, but Toronto homer Luke Fox, who, like many in Toronto, does not like seeing other Canadian teams do better than the Leafs.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/quick-shifts-shhh-heres-a-sneak-peek-at-nhl-awards-votes/

Here is his vote on the Norris Trophy:

Norris Trophy: Roman Josi.

I agree with Jon Cooper, who said Wednesday that Josi "has willed his team to the spot they're in." That would be the playoffs. Nothing wrong with a first-place vote for Quinn Hughes or Cale Makar or even Victor Hedman, but Josi's elevation when the games have mattered most is swaying my ballot.

Luke Fox then pastes this Twitter / X garbage stat:

#NHL Primary P/60 for defensemen (min 1000 mins):
1. Josi: 1.775 #Preds
2. Makar: 1.557 #GoAvsGo
3. Hedman: 1.473 #GoBolts
4. Fox: 1.470
5. Bouchard: 1.428
6. Q Hughes: 1.428
7. Dobson: 1.396
8. Dunn: 1.358
9. Rielly: 1.318
10. Dahlin: 1.239

So if people like Luke Fox in Toronto get to give votes, and this is where their minds are at, to avoid recognizing Quinn Hughes' achievements this year.. what chance does Hughes really have?  We already witnessed the votes for Hart going to Auston Matthews in 2022 for his 60 goals, when McDavid had 123 points that year (compared to 106 from Matthews).  

It's not just that, Josi's had a phenomenal year himself and if McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, and Kucherov weren't having the years they've had there'd be a chance he'd be a legit Hart candidate. 

Josi could very well be a vote splitter and that could ultimately be what plays kingmaker. 

This will be a close vote in the end but surely Hughes wins it, Makar 2nd and I think Josi a deserved 3rd. Statistically Hughes is a beast and better than everyone else and has been since game 1 of the regular season. He hasn't had any slow points in the year unlike Makar. So consistently great all year, no question about it and just when Makar started scoring at a mad pace to almost beat Hughes, Quinn elevates his game late in the year too.

Playoffs will be a different beast but Quinn deserves it hands-down. All bias aside he's better statistically than Makar at just about everything this year and the obvious point is his team-mates. Makar is playing with the better scorers up front and you could argue better partner. As good as Makar is, Hughes controls the play far better. Defensively they're pretty similar in all honesty.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:56 AM, Alflives said:

Quinn Hughes is the best D man in the world. Have to be a moran to not accept that fact. 

Leave Rick Moranis alone, he doesn't follow Canucks hockey.

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's what a Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, and Norris can do for ya.  Quinn won't get Makar level recognition unless he can accomplish all 3 of those.  He doesn't even have 1 of them ... yet.

All true, reputation plays a part 

But I find it interesting nonetheless considering how Hughes has leveled up 

It sure is shaping up like Quinn will be getting robbed of the Norris this year. The pundits are really switching over to Makar. 

Quinn is going to have to really put up the points in the last few games. Toch better get him out for every empty net opportunity. Pad him up a bit. 

Canucks Offense really needs to have a big game. Get 5+. 

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

All true, reputation plays a part 

But I find it interesting nonetheless considering how Hughes has leveled up 

The question is asking who the players would take to win one game... presumably a game 7 in the playoffs (that's where my head would go anyways).  Quinn has almost zero experience there and hasn't shown if he can dominate in the playoffs.  I'd probably take Makar and Hedman over Hughes as of this moment too.  Until I've seen what Quinn can do in 4 rounds of the playoffs, I wouldn't be picking him over the other 2 if it came down to winning a game 7 under immense pressure.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

It sure is shaping up like Quinn will be getting robbed of the Norris this year. The pundits are really switching over to Makar. 

Quinn is going to have to really put up the points in the last few games. Toch better get him out for every empty net opportunity. Pad him up a bit. 

Canucks Offense really needs to have a big game. Get 5+. 

I think it will also depend on how much the voters look at analytics.  If they do, it'll paint a very clear picture of who the most dominant defenceman is this year.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Would be nice to see the top 10 and not just top 5 for that. I didn't realize Power was that good at breakout passes though.

Agreed

Don't let Buffalo being disappointing fool you, Power is a phenomenally talented young D 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Gotta wonder where Fox would be without his injury, he's only played 70 games to Hughes's 79 and Makar's 74

Makar was also injured this season and clearly rushed back. Fox has averaged 53 seconds/game of offensive zone puck possession. I don't think he would be drastically different from that with another 4 or 10 games. So if he played as much as Makar he would be at 65:35 and if he played as much as Hughes he would be at 70:00. So it wouldn't really change that much, move him up between 1 and 3 spots but not a drastic time increase.

• Cheers 1