Hughes vs Makar -- Battle of the Titans

HKSR

11 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

what injury

At this point Quinn Hughes would have to outperform Cale Makar for it to be considered a true rivalry.  The man has a ton of silverware in his cabinet already.  Legacy is absolutely an important thing.  Look at... Michael Jordan.  6 rings in 6 finals appearances.  A player would have to do better than that to be in that conversation.

Disagree.  Players evolve, it doesn't make any sense that legacy makes a player better than another at THIS POINT IN TIME.  

That's like saying Crosby is better than McDavid right now.  Makes no sense.  Has Crosby been better over the course of his career?  Absolutely.  Is Crosby the better player RIGHT NOW?  Absolutely not.

EDIT:  Probably a bad example cuz McDavid is playing like crap right now, but you get the idea.  

Edited by HKSR

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Disagree.  Players evolve, it doesn't make any sense that legacy makes a player better than another at THIS POINT IN TIME.  

That's like saying Crosby is better than McDavid right now.  Makes no sense.  Has Crosby been better over the course of his career?  Absolutely.  Is Crosby the better player RIGHT NOW?  Absolutely not.

EDIT:  Probably a bad example cuz McDavid is playing like crap right now, but you get the idea.  

I disagree with your premise, but even right now, Makar and Hughes are completely head to head.  There is a good degree of variance in their metrics, with some numbers pointing in Hughes' favour and others for Makar.

https://thehockeywriters.com/makar-hughes-evaluating-2023-24-norris-trophy-race/

19 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I disagree with your premise, but even right now, Makar and Hughes are completely head to head.  There is a good degree of variance in their metrics, with some numbers pointing in Hughes' favour and others for Makar.

https://thehockeywriters.com/makar-hughes-evaluating-2023-24-norris-trophy-race/

Right now, as you said, "Makar and Hughes are completely head to head".  That is the definition of rivalry.

I feel like you're mistaking rivalry as Hughes is better.  That's not what I'm saying.

Edited by HKSR

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Now change that to the original stat talked about of 30 points in less than 20 games. 

Manipulate the stat to keep Makar in the conversation 😮‍💨

Makar has quite literally played himself into the conversation again.  He doesn't need media pundits.  His scoring pace is actually higher than Quinn Hughes now.

45 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Makar has quite literally played himself into the conversation again.  He doesn't need media pundits.  His scoring pace is actually higher than Quinn Hughes now.

Makar is a good player. Hughes is a good player. They are by far the two best D in the league. 

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

The fact Hughes, Macinnis, Orr, Carlson, Coffey, Bourque, Wilson, and Makar are on that list vs the one where it was just Hughes, Macinnis, and Orr makes the accomplishment by Hughes a special one that didn't need to be lumped in with Makar.  

Edited by HKSR

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

The fact Hughes, Macinnis, Orr, Carlson, Coffey, Bourque, Wilson, and Makar are on that list vs the one where it was just Hughes, Macinnis, and Orr makes the accomplishment by Hughes a special one that didn't need to be lumped in with Makar.  

It was a big deal for Hughes alone until Makar went on an absolute heater and scored something close to... 15 points in 6 games?  What do you expect the media to do when the league's marquee D-man is scoring three points per game?

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

It was a big deal for Hughes alone until Makar went on an absolute heater and scored something close to... 15 points in 6 games?  What do you expect the media to do when the league's marquee D-man is scoring three points per game?

Yet he still didn't accomplish what only 3 defencemen in the history of the NHL accomplished.  That is 30 points in less than 20 games.  It's a special achievement, so if Makar couldn't do it, why bend the stats to make sure Makar is included?  Disrespectful to Hughes IMO.  

Orr

Macinnis

HUGHES

That's special. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yet he still didn't accomplish what only 3 defencemen in the history of the NHL accomplished.  That is 30 points in less than 20 games.  It's a special achievement, so if Makar couldn't do it, why bend the stats to make sure Makar is included?  Disrespectful to Hughes IMO.  

Orr

Macinnis

HUGHES

That's special. 

What did you expect media to do when Makar started scoring 3 points per game?  Quinn and his team have slowed down just a bit, and Makar has completely taken off.  How is the media supposed to cover that?

Just now, Miss Korea said:

What did you expect media to do when Makar started scoring 3 points per game?  Quinn and his team have slowed down just a bit, and Makar has completely taken off.  How is the media supposed to cover that?

By talking about how Makar has had a good run.  He still didn't do what Hughes has done.  So why overshadow Hughes accomplishment just because Makar has had a good run of about 4 or 5 games?

Just now, HKSR said:

By talking about how Makar has had a good run.  He still didn't do what Hughes has done.  So why overshadow Hughes accomplishment just because Makar has had a good run of about 4 or 5 games?

Because that's what media does.  You don't talk about the great accomplishments a player achieved 10 days ago.  You talk about the great accomplishments someone achieved today.

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Because that's what media does.  You don't talk about the great accomplishments a player achieved 10 days ago.  You talk about the great accomplishments someone achieved today.

So why don't they talk about how Hughes had 12 points in 4 games earlier this month? Or how Hughes has at least 1 point in every single game for the entire month of November except 1 game? Last I checked that's a pretty incredible feat even for a forward.  I'm just tired of media cramming Makar feats down our throats when Hughes is head to head with him this season and for this SPECIFIC accomplishment of 30 points, Hughes did it better than Makar, so give the guy some credit.

Just now, HKSR said:

So why don't they talk about how Hughes had 12 points in 4 games earlier this month? Or how Hughes has at least 1 point in every single game for the entire month of November except 1 game? Last I checked that's a pretty incredible feat even for a forward.  I'm just tired of media cramming Makar feats down our throats when Hughes is head to head with him this season and for this SPECIFIC accomplishment of 30 points, Hughes did it better than Makar, so give the guy some credit.

Cale Makar is by far the best defenceman in the NHL.  He has earned that title by winning just about every possible award in his short career.  Quinn Hughes is chomping at his feet right now and he has received his fair share of media recognition.  Every single pundit has written articles about those two players, comparing any metric they can come up with.  

It's such a stupid thing to complain about.  You wouldn't be doing your job as a journalist if you didn't give Makar the coverage he deserves.  Hughes has already received his credit.  You want people to talk about him again?  Get him to continue his scoring tear and help his team to victory.  That's what it takes to supplant Makar.

25 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Cale Makar is by far the best defenceman in the NHL.  He has earned that title by winning just about every possible award in his short career.  Quinn Hughes is chomping at his feet right now and he has received his fair share of media recognition.  Every single pundit has written articles about those two players, comparing any metric they can come up with.  

It's such a stupid thing to complain about.  You wouldn't be doing your job as a journalist if you didn't give Makar the coverage he deserves.  Hughes has already received his credit.  You want people to talk about him again?  Get him to continue his scoring tear and help his team to victory.  That's what it takes to supplant Makar.

I disagree that THIS season Makar is "by far" the best defenceman in the NHL.  Previous seasons I wouldn't argue it, but how can you say that about THIS season given what Hughes is doing?  What's stupid is being so ignorant to what is happening in the current season and just basing everything off previous accolades.  By that stupid argument McDavid is the best player in the league this season too.  

Again... for THIS SPECIFIC accomplishment, Makar didn't need to be recognized.  Hughes did it better.  In fact, he did it so much better that only 2 other defencemen in the history of the NHL accomplished the same feat... and one of them is frigging Bobby Orr.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I disagree that THIS season Makar is "by far" the best defenceman in the NHL.  Previous seasons I wouldn't argue it, but how can you say that about THIS season given what Hughes is doing?  What's stupid is being so ignorant to what is happening in the current season and just basing everything off previous accolades.  By that stupid argument McDavid is the best player in the league this season too.  

Again... for THIS SPECIFIC accomplishment, Makar didn't need to be recognized.  Hughes did it better.  In fact, he did it so much better that only 2 other defencemen in the history of the NHL accomplished the same feat... and one of them is frigging Bobby Orr.

Yes.  By accolades alone, McDavid is by far the best player in the NHL in general.  Cale Makar is by far the best defenceman in the NHL in general.  This means that even if there are better players this season (which in McDavid's case there are a bunch of them), most teams would still designate them as the best in the league.  When McDavid scores, the media writes about him because he's the best.  When he struggles they still write about him because he's the best.  When it comes to the best player this specific year, don't worry.  Most journalists are still ranking Hughes above Makar right now.  But don't be surprised when all they talk about is Makar Makar Makar should he keep up his torrid pace.

In a fantasy draft, you're lying to yourself if you think the vast majority wouldn't draft guys like McDavid and Makar over Hughes and... Kucherov.  |Makar is the league's best and when he goes on a heater, the media goes nuts.

On top of that, Makar is also a highlight machine because of his playing style.  I've already discussed the differences between Makar and Hughes earlier in the thread.  Because Hughes goes for the more efficient play (ie. avoiding contact), he doesn't feature on the SC top 10 as often, even if he scores 3 points in a game.  You can read that post if you want and watch the corresponding videos.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Yes.  By accolades alone, McDavid is by far the best player in the NHL in general.  Cale Makar is by far the best defenceman in the NHL in general.  This means that even if there are better players this season (which in McDavid's case there are a bunch of them), most teams would still designate them as the best in the league.  When McDavid scores, the media writes about him because he's the best.  When he struggles they still write about him because he's the best.  When it comes to the best player this specific year, don't worry.  Most journalists are still ranking Hughes above Makar right now.  But don't be surprised when all they talk about is Makar Makar Makar should he keep up his torrid pace.

In a fantasy draft, you're lying to yourself if you think the vast majority wouldn't draft guys like McDavid and Makar over Hughes and... Kucherov.  |Makar is the league's best and when he goes on a heater, the media goes nuts.

On top of that, Makar is also a highlight machine because of his playing style.  I've already discussed the differences between Makar and Hughes earlier in the thread.  Because Hughes goes for the more efficient play (ie. avoiding contact), he doesn't feature on the SC top 10 as often, even if he scores 3 points in a game.  You can read that post if you want and watch the corresponding videos.

What does a fantasy draft and highlights have to do with this specific achievement?  I think you've completely missed the point.  I haven't once said Hughes is better than Makar.  All I've said is that it is disrespectful to expand this stat so that Makar is included when in actual fact, what Hughes did is immensely special and they should have left it at that.  

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What does a fantasy draft and highlights have to do with this specific achievement?  I think you've completely missed the point.  I haven't once said Hughes is better than Makar.  All I've said is that it is disrespectful to expand this stat so that Makar is included when in actual fact, what Hughes did is immensely special and they should have left it at that.  

With Makar's recent play propelling him back into the Norris race, you will never again see an article or statistic that doesn't feature both of them.  Unless one of those players falls behind.

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Cale Makar is truly the goat.  I've been saying it all along in this thread, and here is yet another overtime winner tonight.

This kid is the real deal, folks.

Wow.  I take back everything I said before... Hughes has a long ways to go.  Look at Makar getting right in the dirty area to pot that one.  He does it all!