[GDT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023 7:00 PM PST

Satchmo

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think that's part of it.. but there's more than just a healthy Petey missing on the ice.

After having such a hot start, we are trending towards battling for a wildcard spot by January.

It would be different if the team was clearly the better team and just not getting the bounces, but seriously... canucks have not been the better team on the ice since the Dallas game.  Thats 9? Games ago.

That's a lot of games 

I think a lot of insecurity just comes from being disappointed so often.  I think, deep down, they don't actually have much faith in the team.  Personally, I have no issues with them sliding, though I'd prefer they didn't,  I'm pretty confident they will still be a solid wild card team.

Unlike many here, I have faith in them

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think a lot of insecurity just comes from being disappointed so often.  I don't think, deep down, they don't actually have much faith in the team.  Personally, I have mos issues with themsliding, though I'd prefer they didn't, but I'm pretty confident they will still be a solid wild card team.

Unlike many here, I have faith in them

Am i on the list yet?

Just now, DeNiro said:

You said the hot start was not the reality. The opposite of reality would be an illusion no?

Again they didn’t fluke their way to this start. They did it through hard work and great goaltending.  Don’t see why that formula would change.

Are we a team that can take it to the Avs at home yet? No. But that doesn’t mean this team doesn’t have the pieces to win a lot of games and be jockeying with the likes of LA and Vegas.

We have the best goal differential in the league. We're a top team. Like you said, this is a slump after a great start. Things ebb and flow. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think there was certain points in the game where if a puck goes the other way it could've been a different, but at keys points I agree Colorado showed their pedigree.

When they had the puck they were throwing pucks on net & getting more dangerous chances than us (see the 3-2 goal). When we had the puck we seemed to be looking for the perfect play & Colorado played well taking away the middle.

Of course roster-wise we are still clearly lacking pieces on the backend whereas Colorado is better there. But alot of this stuff is details we are learning that they've already learned, and you only learn it through experience.

Keep in mind, for Colorado this was probably one of their best games this year, & we were right there the whole way. 

agree 100%, but the Avs are a win now team and anything other than a deep run would be a disappointment for them.  Vancouver isn't at that level and I'm not sure why it's so bad to talk about that.  They are pn the right path, they've had a great start, but let's be realistic about them........where Colorado is the heart of their window, Vancouver is just starting down their path.

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What exactly have you been right about?  Last I checked we are still a top 5 team in the entire NHL with 3 of the top 10 scorers and have scored more goals than any other team.

We are miles ahead of last year.  Miles ahead.  But according to you we are barely a wild card team?  How do you come to that conclusion?  

you think they've been good snce the Dallas game?  And I agree, they are miles ahead of where they were last year.  I don't think a single person said otherwise.

I said they are settling into a solid wild card team, actually.

14 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think that's part of it.. but there's more than just a healthy Petey missing on the ice.

After having such a hot start, we are trending towards battling for a wildcard spot by January.

It would be different if the team was clearly the better team and just not getting the bounces, but seriously... canucks have not been the better team on the ice since the Dallas game.  Thats 9? Games ago.

That's a lot of games 

I'd say they were the better team against Montreal and NYI.  That's 4 and 5 games ago.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We have the best goal differential in the league. We're a top team. Like you said, this is a slump after a great start. Things ebb and flow. 

since the TO game, they've given up 5 more goals than they've scored.  Tonight was the best game they've played since Dallas and they still struggled to score

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

agree 100%, but the Avs are a win now team and anything other than a deep run would be a disappointment for them.  Vancouver isn't at that level and I'm not sure why it's so bad to talk about that.  They are pn the right path, they've had a great start, but let's be realistic about them........where Colorado is the heart of their window, Vancouver is just starting down their path.

I agree with this. And tonight it took Colorado's most complete game of the year to beat us. That shows something, I mean look at our Dcore tonight of course its not contender level.

There's nothing wrong with saying we aren't a top 3-5 cup contender in the league, but that doesn't mean we are a bubble playoff team. We are a good playoff team that's beginning their path to more.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

you think they've been good snce the Dallas game?  And I agree, they are miles ahead of where they were last year.  I don't think a single person said otherwise.

I said they are settling into a solid wild card team, actually.

Things ebb and flow.  Colorado was at 5 wins and 6 losses in their last 11 games before tonight.  So it’s not like they were lighting up the league. They weren’t even a .500 team over the last month. 

I don’t think we are “settling” nicely into a wild card berth.  You are severely disrespecting this team by saying that. We are still the 4th best team in the entire NHL with the best goal differential.  Better than Colorado.  

If we lose the next 4-5 games in a row then you can come back and say what you are saying.  But we are definitely not just a wild card team.  We are a top club in the Western Conference.  Along with Vegas, Colorado, LA and Dallas…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

since the TO game, they've given up 5 more goals than they've scored.  Tonight was the best game they've played since Dallas and they still struggled to score

We've seen this before. Struggling early to compete in the latter half of the season. Only this time we have a much better team. That much was evident by our start. We're not far off from course correcting this.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Things ebb and flow.  Colorado was at 5 wins and 6 losses in their last 11 games before tonight.  So it’s not like they were lighting up the league. They weren’t even a .500 team over the last month. 

I don’t think we are “settling” nicely into a wild card berth.  You are severely disrespecting this team by saying that. We are still the 4th best team in the entire NHL with the best goal differential.  Better than Colorado.  

If we lose the next 4-5 games in a row then you can come back and say what you are saying.  But we are definitely not just a wild card team.  We are a top club in the Western Conference.  Along with Vegas, Colorado, LA and Dallas…

Very good way of putting it.  It's disrespect for what this team is made of now.  You don't fluke your way to the upper part of the league at the US Thanksgiving mark.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we lose the next 4-5 games in a row then you can come back and say what you are saying.  But we are definitely not just a wold card team.  We are a top club in the Western Conference.  Along with Vegas, Colorado, LA and Dallas…

I think they're a tier below those teams and I'm not sure why it's disrespectful to say that.  Since the TO game, they have given up 5 more than they've scored.  They rely too much on the PP and goaltending and when one or both of those things dry up, they struggle.

I prefer to use recent data and trends.  Of course there will be new upswings in their season, but I just don't see them at the same level as dallas, Vegas or Colorado........not in the big picture anyway. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We've seen this before. Struggling early to compete in the latter half of the season. Only this time we have a much better team. That much was evident by our start. We're not far off from course correcting this.

100% agree, they are a better team and mych better coached.  They are on a good path

• Cheers 1

Sorry if this was already posted, but this did not seem accidental at all. Nichushkin’s stick accidentally got so high in a manner that represented a cross-check to the face!? And he knew he was guilty when he lay ‘injured’ after rattling Friedman’s face. Dirty play!

And also, think the altitude got to the cameraman. Puck was out of frame on so many occasions. Like we needed something else to piss us off. 🤬

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they're a tier below those teams and I'm not sure why it's disrespectful to say that.  Since the TO game, they have given up 5 more than they've scored.  They rely too much on the PP and goaltending and when one or both of those things dry up, they struggle.

I prefer to use recent data and trends.  Of course there will be new upswings in their season, but I just don't see them at the same level as dallas, Vegas or Colorado........not in the big picture anyway. 

Vegas is 3-4-1 in their last 8 games.  So according to your logic Vegas is also trending downwards towards being a wild card team.  Meanwhile, the Canucks are 4-4 in their last 8 games.  So why is Vegas a better team than Vancouver right now?  Aren’t they “trending” down as well?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say the Canucks are one of the best teams in the West. Not one of the top cup contenders in the league.

I think Colorado & Vegas are in a different tier than Dallas & LA tbh, and I'd say we are in that second group. 

• ThereItIs 1

Canucks looking tonight like they aren't used to being such a great team yet.  I think they lacked killer instinct tonight and tried to manage the game too much at times They should have attacked to get the lead. Colorado defends a lead well.

Kuzmenko coming around.  Better overall hockey player this year.  Can't wait for him to find the hot hand again.  That'll take some pressure off Petey and put us over the top for the next month.  

Miller played great.  Too bad on the Makar goal, but things like that will happen when trying to make plays.  

Too bad the refs ruined the game with  the calls to end the first period.  Chinsy calls. Canucks had the edge in the first period, looking really good. The 5 on 5 hockey was great while it lasted. They let the chinsy calls steal that momentum.  

Hughes  >  Makar, but maybe not tonight. They play the game different.  Hughes has the puck on his stick more which to me is more impressive. Makar is obviously a game changer.  Not the captains best game tonight.  

Avs mix it up and play kind of dirty, but not scared of the Avs.  If these two teams meet in the playoffs, based on what I saw tonight, Canucks beat the Avs in 7.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Vegas is 3-4-1 in their last 8 games.  So according to your logic Vegas is also trending downwards towards being a wild card team.  Meanwhile, the Canucks are 4-4 in their last 8 games.  So why is Vegas a better team than Vancouver right now?  Aren’t they “trending” down as well?  

image.thumb.png.522c9dd59d1b57982c22e28f169796aa.png

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd say the Canucks are one of the best teams in the West. Not one of the top cup contenders in the league.

I think Colorado & Vegas are in a different tier than Dallas & LA tbh, and I'd say we are in that second group. 

I'd put Dallas in that tier as well, though maybe a bit below.  I don't think LA is there yet and I think that could be a good target for Van

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So, because Vegas won the cup you are giving them a mulligan?  What if they lose their next 5 games?  Are they still the cup favourites?  

c'mon, you're smarter than that I think.  Vegas is the team to beat in the west and have been for some time.  It's ridiculous to argue otherwise