[GDT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023 7:00 PM PST

Satchmo

Just now, stawns said:

I'd put Dallas in that tier as well, though maybe a bit below.  I don't think LA is there yet and I think that could be a good target for Van

Canucks pretty handily beat Dallas already. I don't know maybe I don't watch them enough but I'm not totally buying the hype. They barely beat Seattle last year too. 

I think Dallas/Vancouver/LA is the 2nd tier, which is where I would've had EDM coming into the year tbh so we kinda took their spot. Another credit to us that we basically destroyed there season in 2 games. 

I do agree we rely on our top talent alot, which to me means theres alot of room to grow. About half of their supporting cast is good & another half needs to be changed. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Things ebb and flow.  Colorado was at 5 wins and 6 losses in their last 11 games before tonight.  So it’s not like they were lighting up the league. They weren’t even a .500 team over the last month. 

I don’t think we are “settling” nicely into a wild card berth.  You are severely disrespecting this team by saying that. We are still the 4th best team in the entire NHL with the best goal differential.  Better than Colorado.  

If we lose the next 4-5 games in a row then you can come back and say what you are saying.  But we are definitely not just a wild card team.  We are a top club in the Western Conference.  Along with Vegas, Colorado, LA and Dallas…

We are unfortunately not the same team that was pummeling teams 3 weeks ago.  We are now a team that is starting to buckle against a long list of injuries.  Suter's absence hurts - he went down just as he got hot.  Soucy's absence is really hurting us.  Pettersson is likely fighting through something.  Our lines are in complete flux right now because there are injuries and the team is not getting things done.

Our team was already projected to regress a bit - we were finishing chances at an insane clip and the numbers were all over the place.  And our schedule was poised to get a bit tougher (we have yet to face Vegas or LA).  But these injuries, man.  We are now going to lose Friedman.  That means we have to dig deeper into our already depleted blueline.

Injuries can derail any team's season.  Good teams can overcome that and I believe this team can too.  But so far they have not shown it.

• Vintage 3

• -AJ- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
8 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'd say they were the better team against Montreal and NYI.  That's 4 and 5 games ago.

I disagree with the NYI game. We weren't in that one at all if we weren't given 6 powerplays. All 3 goals were scored on the powerplays which were 6-2 for canucks.

Only time we were better in that game was in OT.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I disagree with the NYI game. We weren't in that one at all if we weren't given 6 powerplays. All 3 goals were scored on the powerplays which were 6-2 for canucks.

We outshot the Isles 43 to 33.  The Isle had 2 PP goals.  Canucks had 3.  Canucks won 56.5% of the faceoffs.  The Canucks didn't have a good 1st against the Isle, but dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods including OT.

23 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Agreed, poster forgets they were down 3-1

8 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Am i on the list yet?

Making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty and nice

We're getting coal.

Some here wait for us to fail then analyze it without understanding....it is what it is. Teams will win and lose. Outplay teams and get outplayed. Refs suck (that much we know for sure). The only thing that determines "best" is at the end of the year...when one team is the best and lifts the cup. 

I take it all with a grain of salt. Just like some here were convinced Miller was "gone" and state their opinion as fact, they've been proven wrong before.

It's an 82 game season. We'll see what develops and where our team lands when all is said and done. 

The team won't slay it every game. Won't even look fabulous all the time. It's how they respond. If they unravel or regroup. It's not like "good teams" (as appointed by some) are blowing them out...they were very much in this game.

It's the points that matter in the end and they gave themselves a bit of a buffer and can work through whatever it is they're battling (Petey). Our star forward is off right now...perspective. I doubt he'll be held down for long.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed, poster forgets they were down 3-1

I think you forgot how the game actually played out.  Just because the Islanders were up on the scoreboard doesn't mean they were the better team.  The final score reflects that, and the stats back it up.  Even the analytics back it up.

From NHL.com:

For the Analytics Crowd 

Corsi: All situations: Isles 58, Vancouver 87

Corsi: 5-on-5: Isles 50, Vancouver 62

5-on-5 leaders:

Isles:  Bo Horvat +18

Vancouver: Dakota Joshua +19

High Danger Scoring Chances (per Natural Stat Trick)

All situations: Isles 9, Vancouver 16

5-on-5: Isles 8, Vancouver 14

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think you forgot how the game actually played out.  Just because the Islanders were up on the scoreboard doesn't mean they were the better team.  The final score reflects that, and the stats back it up.  Even the analytics back it up.

From NHL.com:

For the Analytics Crowd 

Corsi: All situations: Isles 58, Vancouver 87

Corsi: 5-on-5: Isles 50, Vancouver 62

5-on-5 leaders:

Isles:  Bo Horvat +18

Vancouver: Dakota Joshua +19

High Danger Scoring Chances (per Natural Stat Trick)

All situations: Isles 9, Vancouver 16

5-on-5: Isles 8, Vancouver 14

Stephen Colbert Thinking GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

To a person, everyone thought they looked terrible until they started getting PP's.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

To a person, everyone thought they looked terrible until they started getting PP's.

Not even sure what this means? But to discount "facts" just isn't putting up a good argument....you can't just stick them on the ignore list.

• Like 1