Tonight's game against the Avs is a statement game and a defining moment in the season. Are the Canucks Contenders or Pretenders?

Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

Are the Canucks   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Canucks

• Contenders
    • Pretenders

29 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Long live the king.  Hey at least he acknowledged the King which is something.  Demko has a ways to go to catch up to King Richard and Captain Kirk...or Gary Smith for that matter.

That McLean game in Montreal in the early 90s was something else.  If I remember right Patrick Roy said (at the time) that it was or might have been the best game he had ever seen any goalie play.

A standing O from Montreal in enemy territory...that's Rocky 4 stuff.

image.png

Can that Drago guy play RH defence, how much is he making in the KHL?

Aee Maaast Braeeek You!!!!!

NT.jpg

Edited by theochar
add

On 11/23/2023 at 12:40 PM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I didn't find this to be a defining moment in the Canucks season or a statement game. Some nice storylines sure but the team played well and lost tonight.

The Canucks have played beyond expectations to start the season in many people's minds but they were never touted as contenders, not sure that automatically puts them at pretenders either. This is a team with some very good pieces that has bought in to the new coaching staff and their message. The team should be battling for a Playoff spot by end of year, if they continue to trend a slight tick above this and make the playoffs more handily that is great. Not a contending team, but a few moves can change that mind set. Once you get into the Playoffs anything can happen, so let's keep working on playing the game properly while winning along the way and see how things look end of season.

That difference this season that is a very positive development that gets brushed off or laughed off by many is the ability to enter games against teams they should beat and doing their job the majority of the time and winning those games they should. That is not to be taken lightly or the usual " ha they beat San Jose what do you expect? that team is the worst ". That is in fact the point, win the games you are supposed to. The Canucks for the most part are doing that.

I find those who think they are true contenders feel anyone who doesn't think that way thinks they are pretenders.  I certainly don't, I just think they had a hot start and are/will come back to earth as a likely wild card team, with potential for more.........if they can stay healthy.

• Cheers 1