[PGT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023

Satchmo

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I really hope that's all it is. Folks on the board here have said they've had flu effects for 2-4 weeks. I hope it's just lingering illness. It would explain how he can be brilliant one minute and seem to have a brain fog and be unsure of himself the next two.

As I said, im seeing a lot of confidence issues right now.......double clutching on shots, passing when he would normally shoot, bobbling the puck etc.  He's only 25 and confidence is a real fickle thing.  

I do think they need to change that line, all the lines really.  

Hey Petey, if you aren't well or if you're hurt, then sit your butt down and rest/recover. Just making mistakes out there, costing your team.

Canucks got outplayed, out-Makar'd, whatever you wanna call it.

Exposed as a bubble team, not quite ready to hang with the big boys. They looked pretty good against the shitty teams though. 

Refs are refs, it's up to the Canucks to score.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's injured, I just think his confidence is gone.  

What you think vs what those close to the team know. I know which one I'm going with. 

Pettersson's injury (as it's labelled). This is the second time they've gone there since the TO game (will find that clip later). Now they don't come out and say "he's injured" but they've made reference to him battling through something more than once. And you're at least partly right because once someone is struggling (through injury, illness, whatever) they will start to lose some confidence. But it's not just a mental barrier here...quite obviously.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central/overrated-underrated-petterssons-injury-bobby-orr-and-winter-classic-jerseys/

• Like 1

At this point, I'd be happy to see anyone other than Mik and Kuz on Petey's line. He's having all kinds of trouble, but if Garland, Hogs, or Beau could do their board work and get the puck to him, at least there's a chance he'll score. Mikehev and Kuzmenko are looking slow and weak.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

They said on the post game after the TO game that he's playing through something (whether that be illness...he was coughing the game after, or injury)

I heard he got chopped on the wrist by a Blake Coleman type of idiot. Why the league allows these rejects to injure top players like that is beyond me. They think i tune in to see Blake fucking Coleman? No i tune in to see world class skill like Petey and Hughes. If i wanted to be a fan of Blake Coleman i'd watch the AHL.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

One thing that really made the start that much better, was EDM was the favourite (they still have time), and we weren't giving away any points in our division or conference either.    Made it that much more valueable.   Agree they need a bit of a dialogue (a good start was the focus - they achieved that).   Expected a let down.    Shooting percentages were way out of whack.   There are some positives too.  Hogs , Joshua, Lafferty, Garland - our bottom six is bringing it.    EP is too good.   Expect to see something from him soon.    Maybe the pressure of the contract is getting to him a little.   Could also just be mental, not a physical thing.  

I suggested Petey's issue could be mental more than physical a couple weeks ago and got shit on by almost everybody. lol

But his body language on the ice seems to suggest that. You don't see him flinch, or shy away from body contact along the boards. You don't see him struggle to get up or laboring to the bench ever.

But what you do see is him slumping his shoulders a lot. He is visibly frustrated when he gets knocked down and always looking to the ref for a penalty call. These are typically the actions of someone dealing with negative head space rather than a physical ailment.

But who the hell knows at this point. Clearly something is off.

I do like that we're seeing other players stepping up. I still dont know why Hogz isn't seeing more ice time. He has 4 points in his last 4 games, but didn't even make an appearance on PP2 and didn't see a lot of ice time in the 3rd when we were chasing.

I'll leave it to Toc and Management to make the decisions. I just have a few questions I wish were answered.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

EP have proven he's one of the best defensive forward in the game last year i see no issues with him handling the top players. he's out mostly against other teams shutdown line.. it's hard to generate anything if your defenceman ain't capable of creating space.. i mean at worse Miller can still play against other teams top player while having 2 defenceman less offensive but more defensive like cole... ideally hughes and hronek would be on 2 seperate pair.. but our defence is too inept for that to happen.. so you have 1 really good offensive defenceman pairing both capable of creating space.. and then 2 pairing that can't create and kinda chaos in their own zone.. it further highlights the need of a top 4 defenceman whether it's LD or RD ideally someone similar to hronek that can create space.. not necessary a QH type super offensive/agressive.. since we have cole already that can cover the defensive side of things

I was thinking about this last night. Why are we making excuses for Petey?

Why does he need to be paired with a generational talent on defense to produce? I get it if you are making 5-8m but if you are looking to make 11.5m, that puts you in the top  5 NHL players  out of 700+ in this league.  You really should be the one pulling the rest of your line into the fight and producing.

Are we saying giving Petey linemates Kuz and Mik arent good enough to take advantage of the opponents 2nd line or perhaps even their shutdown line because we didnt give them Hughes or Hronek? Why was he playing better in the beginning of the season? Is it because he pads his stats against the Oilers and SJs of the world? 

I dont see them having difficulty entering the opposition zone with the puck. It's what they do with the puck upon entry thats been the issue. Petey is the one making poor decisions with it. I think its more of a confidence thing at this point.  I do believe contract talks are weighing heavily on him. If he is asking for a lot of money, there is no doubt he is putting pressure on himself to perform. He's always his own toughest critic and my guess is, he is trying to prove he is worthy of what he is demanding but it's backfiring.  I mean look at last time he went through contract negotiations. He played the worst I've ever seen and some were ready to run him out of town.

While I think RT does make the lineup decisions that gives his team the best chance to win, I do wonder if PA and co are watching the situation to see if Petey is indeed deserving of 11.5m+ or more of a 9.5-10m bridge deal

If Petey can't elevate his line and produce while making top 5 NHL money, that's a problem.  I'm sure PA and co are on it

17 minutes ago, KFAN said:

At this point, I'd be happy to see anyone other than Mik and Kuz on Petey's line. He's having all kinds of trouble, but if Garland, Hogs, or Beau could do their board work and get the puck to him, at least there's a chance he'll score. Mikehev and Kuzmenko are looking slow and weak.

Wont make a difference if Petey isn't shooting the puck. It looks like he is almost avoiding taking shots in all situations.

I thought it was a GREAT, close game through 2 periods. Then being down to 4 D, some of our players sagging, and Colorado turning it up a notch did us in. They showed why they're cup champions/contenders and we're still working towards that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My fear is coming back ....

...That Toch's approach might struggle with getting the best out of skill-first forwards like  Kuz, EP, and Mik.

EP was leading the league a short while ago in scoring.   Not sure how Tochetts system works fine for QHs, but not them.    Maybe we should be trading all 3 for good old North American hockey players?    After all,  Vegas won with 18 Canadians and 2 US players...  Yikes!  Cherry would love this post! 

Edited by IBatch

28 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

I heard he got chopped on the wrist by a Blake Coleman type of idiot. Why the league allows these rejects to injure top players like that is beyond me. They think i tune in to see Blake fucking Coleman? No i tune in to see world class skill like Petey and Hughes. If i wanted to be a fan of Blake Coleman i'd watch the AHL.

Yep.  And well TB traded a first for this guy and then won a cup. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

EP was leading the league a short while ago in scoring.   Not sure how Tochetts system works fine for QHs, but not them.    Maybe we should be trading all 3 for good old North American hockey players?    After all,  Vegas won with 18 Canadians and 2 US players...  Yikes!  Cherry would love this post! 

I thought of the bolded, which is why I said 'forwards'

Our d coaches are amazing and I think Toch stays out of their way. I bet Gonch has a big influence on our super star Dman.

But I think Toch has a rigid view of team systems and how forwards must play, based on what worked for him.

However, he never had the high end flash-skills like the players I mentioned.

That said, these are just my fears and you know I am not the biggest Rick fan. However, he has won me over some. How could he not with this good start we have had?

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

easy money.

Edited by Rob Eh

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yup. We had 3 guys in the top 5 of scoring...I think skilled players can produce fine under RT 🤣

Our thin'ish and progressively more injured D, still iffy mix in the bottom 6, and some key guys (Petey) being banged up are testing this team right now. We were never going to be completely healthy and flying for all 82 games. Coping with these injuries and adversities is the next test. They made themselves a nice runway with the good start to the season, can they stay around .500 while dealing with this adversity and pick things up as they get bodies back? Can some of the kids come up and fill in some meaningful minutes?

Stay tuned...

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its true but I think Tocchet also wants them to sometimes just get the puck in & get fresh guys on the ice rather than risking a turnover late in shifts.

I did think the bottom of the lineup was largely more effective than the top b/c they were playing a simpler game. Guys like Garland/Beauvillier/Joshua were working hard to get pucks back, need more of that.

Granted, getting it in deep to change is fine, but the issue I see against a team like the AVs is that they are so good at retrieving the puck and then gaining our zone with ease, and then controlling the puck in our zone for an extended period of time. We then get the puck, flip it out, chase, lose a check, etc. etc. When we do get good possession, they then dump and chase again for a change and the cycle repeats. 

I see a lot of positives early with this team, but I also notice a similar style to Green, and my concern is that that's what's tiring our guys out each game. It's not a sustainable style of play against good teams. Weak teams, sure, as teams like San Jose, Chicago, Edmonton all suck, but when we play the AVs, Knights, Kings, etc., I feel like we need to play more of a possession style game. The more we have the puck, the fresher we'll be from not having to chase pucks and teams around the ice, and the better the chance of winning. The Sedins were kings with this style of play, until after AV was fired and Tortorella came in and moved away from a possession style game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1