[PGT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023

Satchmo

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I never got this either, players like Mario or Bure never needed any assistance on the ice. They dominated the play when ever they were on the ice. Bure even had Odjick scoring when he played with him on his line. 

Was Hank just as effective without Daniel? 

I hope Petey has some kind of nagging injury , otherwise, i would be questioning his resiliency during tougher games and tougher checking. That is not going to get any easier come play off time.

In 2009-10, the year Henrik won the Art Ross, Daniel was injured for nearly 20 games. Hank dialed it up a notch and proved he could do it alone.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I think the point is he is getting points, maybe not highlight reels....

The best thing about Petey this year is the teams have to look to defend against Millar and Brock and people will slowly drop the double coverage on Petey until its too late.

Well he was getting points. Not so much the last 6 games. His last point from the SJ game was because he won the faceoff.

He is definitely not generating offence, but rather taking advantage of other people generating offense

We are 1-3-1 against teams I'd consider good this season. Toronto, Tampa (who didn't even have Vasi), Dallas, Colorado and the Rangers. This is why I am not as quick as others to jump on the "we are legit" bandwagon just yet. We lost one NHL level d-man. And the team defense seemingly isn't there anymore. We are icing Friedman, even with a healthy blueline. Like, I don't get how we don't see this as a problem. Management clearly does but when you bring it up here people act like you're a hater or they dust off one excuse after another. Petey has been putting up points, but somehow looks invisible most nights. Kuzy is a shell of himself when teams don't leave him wide open for tap-ins. Guy needs to find ways to score, or at least play more like Boeser. Boeser always gave this team effort when pucks weren't going in, being hard on the forecheck.

Mikheyev is fine, but either the coaching staff doesn't trust him or they are still limiting his ice time after his injury cause he's averaging 14 minutes a game, feel like that should be closer to 16-17. Right now he is playing slightly more than Beauvillier. Hogs is the unfortunate victim of being young, he has more goals than Garland and Beauvillier do combined, and he still gets far less minutes than them. Barely over 10 minutes. That's on top of being an energizer bunny too. He gives more effort than both do combined. I don't know why the coaching staff doesn't trust him, but we should be rewarding him with more ice time.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Well he was getting points. Not so much the last 6 games. His last point from the SJ game was because he won the faceoff.

He is definitely not generating offence, but rather taking advantage of other people generating offense

What, Mik and Kuz?

No.... The whole line is only getting chances off good line changes from the bottom 6 putting them there.

the good news is It doesnt matter if the Petey Kuz Mik does nothing till the playoffs, we will still get there. 

Thats when Petey can prove his new contract.... the playoffs and the cup!

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I never got this either, players like Mario or Bure never needed any assistance on the ice. They dominated the play when ever they were on the ice. Bure even had Odjick scoring when he played with him on his line. 

Was Hank just as effective without Daniel? 

I hope Petey has some kind of nagging injury , otherwise, i would be questioning his resiliency during tougher games and tougher checking. That is not going to get any easier come play off time.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

You absolutely DO pay top five guys to produce with whomever.   Look at Crosby.    For years it was a revolving door of whomever (Rusts of the league) until Geuntzal showed up, and you can bet Geuntzal on the Canucks at the same time would be pretty average.    If we pay EP top ten money, he should be a top ten player.   I've been going against the grain the past two years saying that Barkov is his comp.     Less physically capable, better offense.    Same two-way game.    Yes EP could have an Art Ross in him.   So far i've seen more from Federov though, at the same age.     Flame away. 

I dont think Petey is playing to his full capabilities. I do believe there is a mix of a small injury and some loss of confidence. 

Maybe this is a sign for him to take a bridge deal 9.5m for 3 years. So what if we dont lock him up for 8 seasons.  maybe in 3 years, we'll know whether we should be paying him 13m or 10m and if things keep going well, he'll re-sign here.  If we cant lock him down in his final season, maybe we deal him but that decision is far down the road. 

I also think he'll play much better if he plays without the pressure of having to live up to a large contract that people are questioning. At 9.5m, he'll be the toast of the town and can't do no wrong.   He'll be in a much happier headspace.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd like to see Woo get a shot, just to see how he looks.  He's been the best overall dman for Abby going on two years (though you could make a case for Juuls too) and at some point, they need to see if he can make the jump or not.

Now is the time to test the depth of the organization, whether we like it or not, see who, if any prospects can rise to the occasion, and strategize from there.  

How has Woo's skating/game been so far this season?

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I dont think Petey is playing to his full capabilities. I do believe there is a mix of a small injury and some loss of confidence. 

Maybe this is a sign for him to take a bridge deal 9.5m for 3 years. So what if we dont lock him up for 8 seasons.  maybe in 3 years, we'll know whether we should be paying him 13m or 10m and if things keep going well, he'll re-sign here.  If we cant lock him down in his final season, maybe we deal him but that decision is far down the road. 

I also think he'll play much better if he plays without the pressure of having to live up to a large contract that people are questioning. At 9.5m, he'll be the toast of the town and can't do no wrong.   He'll be in a much happier headspace.

In 3 years we cant afford more than that.... with the OEL buyout.

Also if we win a cup this year, he can get whatever he wants. 33 million per year? ok. We will sell rest of team thanks for all the fish

2 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Now is the time to test the depth of the organization, whether we like it or not, see who, if any prospects can rise to the occasion, and strategize from there.  

How has Woo's skating/game been so far this season?

I'd settle for the experience of Wolanin right now.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

We are 1-3-1 against teams I'd consider good this season. Toronto, Tampa (who didn't even have Vasi), Dallas, Colorado and the Rangers. This is why I am not as quick as others to jump on the "we are legit" bandwagon just yet. We lost one NHL level d-man. And the team defense seemingly isn't there anymore. We are icing Friedman, even with a healthy blueline. Like, I don't get how we don't see this as a problem. Management clearly does but when you bring it up here people act like you're a hater or they dust off one excuse after another. Petey has been putting up points, but somehow looks invisible most nights. Kuzy is a shell of himself when teams don't leave him wide open for tap-ins. Guy needs to find ways to score, or at least play more like Boeser. Boeser always gave this team effort when pucks weren't going in, being hard on the forecheck.

Mikheyev is fine, but either the coaching staff doesn't trust him or they are still limiting his ice time after his injury cause he's averaging 14 minutes a game, feel like that should be closer to 16-17. Right now he is playing slightly more than Beauvillier. Hogs is the unfortunate victim of being young, he has more goals than Garland and Beauvillier do combined, and he still gets far less minutes than them. Barely over 10 minutes. That's on top of being an energizer bunny too. He gives more effort than both do combined. I don't know why the coaching staff doesn't trust him, but we should be rewarding him with more ice time.

Should add Florida imo

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I appreciate your passion.

I think more people need to get angry, so we can see some cheap cap d-men coming up from abby.

5 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I appreciate your passion.

I think more people need to get angry, so we can see some cheap cap d-men coming up from abby.

They might not be ready (as why else would they have Juulsen up?  That damn Gillis leaving the farm empty.  🕵️‍♀️

Its a process.  Team is heading in the right direction.  There will be bumps but that's to be expected.  Can't rebuild the farm in less than two seasons.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd settle for the experience of Wolanin right now.

Apparently Wolanin is injured.  He might've been playing with a few knocks on him and decided it's better to rest up first.

Why not Matt Irwin?  He's an experienced vet with tons of experience and played almost a full season for Washington last year.  

image.png.1393f8b3684714a20e66ed969ecd02f3.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Apparently Wolanin is injured.  He might've been playing with a few knocks on him and decided it's better to rest up first.

Why not Matt Irwin?  He's an experienced vet with tons of experience and played almost a full season for Washington last year.  

I haven't seen him play. Not sure if it was overally critical fans in Abby, but I was hearing some rumblings he wasn't very impressive in Abby. Maybe there's more reliable reports out there?

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I haven't seen him play. Not sure if it was overally critical fans in Abby, but I was hearing some rumblings he wasn't very impressive in Abby. Maybe there's more reliable reports out there?

He has NHL experience and he can skate.  That's all that matters right now, man...

I'll take Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar at this point.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

40 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Surely that was the reason we picked him up, to be the 7/8 D

• Cheers 1

Just our luck. Georgiev has been crap all season to date and then plays great against us.

Onwards and upwards, the next 4 games are divisional so it's doubly important to get points and keep the Kraken, Sharks  and Ducks in the rear view mirror. Vegas looked unbeatable for a few games but are now dropping points. That will be a good test of character. We went toe to toe with COL for 2 periods and only really looked second best for the last 10 minutes.

Time to get our mojo back

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They might not be ready (as why else would they have Juulsen up?  That damn Gillis leaving the farm empty.  🕵️‍♀️

Its a process.  Team is heading in the right direction.  There will be bumps but that's to be expected.  Can't rebuild the farm in less than two seasons.

To be fair, they had a lot of young guys under Benning, just that they were in the NHL early, in Europe or ncaa

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I thought Joshua did that well last night and particularly in the last handful of games, just no finish.

I don't think enough of our forwards go to the net hard. I think a byproduct that our team is not completely finished being built yet to match the system we want to play fully. We have a lot of players who either have skill or will...but very few who have both.

The lack of depth caught up to us along with Colorado being a veteran savvy team. They know how to really shut things down and have the experience to know what it takes to win a hockey game in these grind it out sort of matches. We are still learning to do that consistently.

Joshua has been a beast everywhere, and even has dangles.

but as soon as there is any sort of shooting opportunity his hands turn to stone

I dont get it

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Pretty sure Toch stated that he would like to use Mik more but medical plan was in place to slowly build up his playing time.