[PGT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023

Satchmo

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I forgot about them. Ngl. Still not a good record against good teams. Team can get to the playoffs pounding the scrubs. But if we want to go on a run we need better games against the better teams.

All three loses were on the road so some consideration needed there:

Road = 1 - 3 - 0

Home = 1 - 0 - 1

If they can beat the Kraken (big game Friday) and Sharks, they will have won every road trip so far (not counting the one game after the back to back against Calgary). That is a good sign, average opponents or not.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

To be fair, they had a lot of young guys under Benning, just that they were in the NHL early, in Europe or ncaa

We need our Canadian amateur scouts to be pulling their weight.  They've been carried largely by our US & European scouts.  I don't mean "drafting superstar players".  I'm referring to homegrown guys that can fill depth roles.  Too often 'players in our own backyard' get overlooked.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 4

20 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Let me put some perspective to this game,

When 2 good teams play each other 1 must win 1 must lose 

The Canucks made a statement today, they Can keep up with a Contender. But they themselves are not yet contenders

If the Canucks play the Avs this way every game they will come up 4-6 every 10 games its not good enough. But the Avs have had more time to get established. The Canucks will make the playoffs this season even might win a series temper you expectations though. Their not winning the cup this year.

Thanks Confucius i wouldn't have known what the hell would happen this year without ya?

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Anyone not excited about what this team is becoming isn't paying attention or has Benning-PTSD.

Just like players have bad habits that take time to change so do fans.

We need to stop defaulting to negativity and doubt. Only you can break the cycle! 😉

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Hey Petey, if you aren't well or if you're hurt, then sit your butt down and rest/recover. Just making mistakes out there, costing your team.

Canucks got outplayed, out-Makar'd, whatever you wanna call it.

Exposed as a bubble team, not quite ready to hang with the big boys. They looked pretty good against the shitty teams though. 

Refs are refs, it's up to the Canucks to score.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We need our Canadian amateur scouts to be pulling their weight.  They've been carried largely by our US & European scouts.  I don't mean "drafting superstar players".  I'm referring to homegrown guys that can fill depth roles.  Too often 'players in our own backyard' get overlooked.

I don't like the CHL-AHL agreement, so I'd pass unless it's a no brainer.  That's just me though

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I forgot about them. Ngl. Still not a good record against good teams. Team can get to the playoffs pounding the scrubs. But if we want to go on a run we need better games against the better teams.

Have to learn to walk before you can run.  As I said, we're heading in the right direction (which only will improve the chance Petey will re-sign - why leave a team that's on the upswing?)

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Have to learn to walk before you can run.  As I said, we're heading in the right direction (which only will improve the chance Petey will re-sign - why leave a team that's on the upswing?)

Watching the Oilers, I'm really starting to re-think the Petey situation........is $12m player on the roster really a good idea?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Watching the Oilers, I'm really starting to re-think the Petey situation........is $12m player on the roster really a good idea?

That's a fair question; to which I would said, it would depend on how the rest of the roster is distributed (in terms of the cap).

The Pens blueprint was to have a lopsided amount to their "superstars" & try to make do with whats left to 'fill out' the roster.  It's why they unloaded an otherwise very solid center in Sutter.  Not that he was **** but they needed to spend that cap space elsewhere/give them flexability.  It's why they basically moved on from Bonino.  Once a 'supporting cast' player gets too expensive, they look for someone better (or did as Crosby & Co. are getting up their in age now).

But I'm just putting out random thoughts out there on a Thursday night.😅

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I have to think he's playing thru an injury (but that's just my speculation)

My guess is groin or wrist. I really suspect groin...something you can try to work through but can linger a LOOONNNNG time. I speak from experience. Getting on/off a bike was the one move that always reminded me of my injury.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Put it this way....they either sign Petey or....the team plays against him. I know which one I'd choose. And his price may be going down at this very moment.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We'll regain our form. Life ebbs and flows. We're better than these losses. 

the canucks were a month ahead of most of the league, in mid-season form right out of the gate. now the rest of the teams are catching up fitness and chemistry-wise and hitting their stride, while the canucks are settling into the mid-season doldrums of travel, exhaustion, maintenance, grind. 

soon the team will find their rhythm again and pull off a 7-2-1 run and all will be well. 

• Cheers 2

Well, even though we lost, we still proved that we can hang with the top teams. Only been 20 games and still lotsa' hockey ta' go. 

Regarding Petey's play. I dunno. He does seem to be struggling. Him and Kuz. Just not the same as last season. Don't wanna speculate on things I don't know, but if he is nursing some kind of issue, it certainly doesn't help that opposing teams key in on him cuz' he is a star in the NHL. Either way, it doesn't help anyones case on that line.

We need to score more ugly goals. Not every goal can be pretty.

31 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

My guess is groin or wrist. I really suspect groin...something you can try to work through but can linger a LOOONNNNG time. I speak from experience. Getting on/off a bike was the one move that always reminded me of my injury.

I've been thinking this too...to start the year he was shoving guys off the puck and hitting people left and right...now he's getting out muscled by Cale Makar...several times last night. Something has gotta be up. More than just contract talks. Hope he gets back to normal soon.

Injuries are starting to pile up...at least it's happening now and not mid way through season. Get the injury bug over and done with so we can make a strong push for playoffs before the trade dead line.

15 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I've been thinking this too...to start the year he was shoving guys off the puck and hitting people left and right...now he's getting out muscled by Cale Makar...several times last night. Something has gotta be up. More than just contract talks. Hope he gets back to normal soon.

Injuries are starting to pile up...at least it's happening now and not mid way through season. Get the injury bug over and done with so we can make a strong push for playoffs before the trade dead line.

It's cute that you think you can "get the injury bug over and done with". Having injuries now doesn't preclude the Canucks from getting more injuries later. 

Just gotta cross your fingers and hope for the best moving forward 

15 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

It's cute that you think you can "get the injury bug over and done with". Having injuries now doesn't preclude the Canucks from getting more injuries later. 

Just gotta cross your fingers and hope for the best moving forward 

It usually comes in the waves. Hopefully not multiple ones lol. I know wishful thinking. 

Wish we could beef up our d core more but it’s obviously a challenge. Hate how thin we are there.