[PGT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023

Satchmo

• Satchmo changed the title to [PGT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023
3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I just notice our forwards up ice so early and waiting at the blueline for a tip into the ozone, but by the time the tip goes in, they're all standing still. The dmen get it easily and then it's out of the zone and our forwards are circling around to get back. Frustrating to watch. We dominate when we play a possession game. 

Its true but I think Tocchet also wants them to sometimes just get the puck in & get fresh guys on the ice rather than risking a turnover late in shifts.

I did think the bottom of the lineup was largely more effective than the top b/c they were playing a simpler game. Guys like Garland/Beauvillier/Joshua were working hard to get pucks back, need more of that.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I haven't heard tocchs post game. But one thing I've noticed over this mini slide, is the accountability.

Tocch criticizes our team when we play poorly.

"We need to be harder on pucks, play smarter if you're tired " etc.

In previous regimes and coaches I got so sick of hearing 

" oh that's a good team over there. Etc."

No excuses, accountability, learn from your mistakes, get better.

Love this team.

On to the next.

• Like 1

I notice our team play hasn't been the same since the last edmonton game.

Tonight though I thought we looked good but our top players aren't playing well so we can't score.qb

I'm talking EP, AK and BB. 

We need to upgrade a winger. Pdg isn't skilled enough.

Toc is trying to insert AB or Joshua into the top 6. 

And not enough depth on D 

PA still has work to do with this lineup. 

I'm not too worried about the offence, I'm sure Pete is playing hurt but boy we can use another top 4 D-man right now, A trade needs to happen soon if we wanna keep up with teams like these.

Also, I've noticed that teams have blocked our lanes more recently, Not sure if they have figured us out but our shooting game needs to be better, Seems like too many passes and not enough shots..The one's we get don't go through anymore.

• Like 1

That was a good hard fought game, but if this one is an example, we're not yet a top tier team. I sure wish Petey could get it together. It's so like his slump last year, so I'm sure he'll come back, especially if he is given an opportunity with some different wingers.  Maybe Nils. Colorado's defense was much better than ours. Even sith Soucy and Suter back, we still need that one more guy on the back end. I did like Juulsen again tonight, and with exception of Miller's giveaway, he and Quinn continue to play great. Kuzmenko and Boeser need to shoot the f'n puck.

34 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Is anybody else seriously concerned about Petey at this point? He hasn't been himself for weeks now.

Yeah I don't know about an injury , I am thinking its a mental thing TBH. On the other hand, Miller and Hughes are GAMERS! Can't wait to see what they can do in the post season. 

I have question marks on Demko and Petey come playoff time.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Healthy Petey, even more so.

Yup I still think this team is just a healthy Petey away from being a top tier team again.  I mean realistically that Petey line has dried up.  We're a one offence line team right now.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup I still think this team is just a healthy Petey away from being a top tier team again.  I mean realistically that Petey line has dried up.  We're a one offence line team right now.

Yeah Petey drives that line and he has gone back to not being able to stay on his feet, he has the Bambi legs again. He needs to figure it out right quick.

• Like 2

On the contrary, I actually thought Pettersson looked best tonight in comparison to the last stretch of games. He made some good defensive plays, stole the puck from some Avalanche players attacking, and he also engaged in a good battle behind the net with Makar. He seems like he is getting better with his physical play. Offensively, that line is struggling a bit, and have a bit right now, more of an offensive black-hole. But these guys are talented players and I have confidence they can figure it out. Good players sometimes go through tough stretches.

I would shake up the top 6 next game to go for some spark:

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Beauvillier-Pettersson-Kuzmenko

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

PDG-Lafferty-Hoglander

Depends on their, may swap Hoglander up in the top 6 too.

I am more concerned about defensive depth. We just don't have enough NHL quality Defenseman that can step in when injuries pile on. Hopefully, Myers and Friedman is available next game, or else, that will be a tough week or two.

7 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

On the contrary, I actually thought Pettersson looked best tonight in comparison to the last stretch of games. He made some good defensive plays, stole the puck from some Avalanche players attacking, and he also engaged in a good battle behind the net with Makar. He seems like he is getting better with his physical play. Offensively, that line is struggling a bit, and have a bit right now, more of an offensive black-hole. But these guys are talented players and I have confidence they can figure it out. Good players sometimes go through tough stretches.

I would shake up the top 6 next game to go for some spark:

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Beauvillier-Pettersson-Kuzmenko

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

PDG-Lafferty-Hoglander

Depends on their, may swap Hoglander up in the top 6 too.

I am more concerned about defensive depth. We just don't have enough NHL quality Defenseman that can step in when injuries pile on. Hopefully, Myers and Friedman is available next game, or else, that will be a tough week or two.

I would agree with you if he wasn't vying to be the highest player on the team. players making that kind of money find ways to get it done. Hughes and Miller on the ther hand.........................:classic_cool:

• Like 1

That was awesome game management tonight. :picard: 

Manson deserved the 5-and-game, except he should have already been in the box for tripping Boeser.

I don't necessarily mind the calls against Beau and Myers that ruined the rest of Manson's major, but there were plenty of opportunities, especially with Nichushkin, to put the Canucks back on a deserved PP.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1