[PGT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023

Satchmo

Keep PDG away from Hogs. When Tito was on that line with Laffy and Hogs in the first the we're buzzing, as soon as Tocc moved PDG to that line, their offense dried up. I like PDG, as a 13th forward, he has no offensive game at all. I'd prefer they called up an Abby player to get a look, there are a few down there lighting it up.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Kragar said:

That was awesome game management tonight. :picard: 

Manson deserved the 5-and-game, except he should have already been in the box for tripping Boeser.

I don't necessarily mind the calls against Beau and Myers that ruined the rest of Manson's major, but there were plenty of opportunities, especially with Nichushkin, to put the Canucks back on a deserved PP.

I disagree with the major penalty.  A double-minor is not possible in this situation but it should be.  That was way too harsh of a punishment for that kind of play.  There needs to be an option between a 2 and a 5+game.

2 minutes ago, cusm said:

Didn't see the game, but just watched the Manson/Boeser situation.

What kind of asshole do you have to be to check someone in the face with a stick and then mock them like that?

The guy lives up to his name.

The general consensus among the wider hockey community is that it was an obvious penalty but the major was a bit too harsh.  Also, everyone seems to think Manson was funny as hell here.  I agree.  It was hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I disagree with the major penalty.  A double-minor is not possible in this situation but it should be.  That was way too harsh of a punishment for that kind of play.  There needs to be an option between a 2 and a 5+game.

Don't crosscheck people in the face.  It's not a hard concept.

And if the refs had any balls, Manson would have already been in the box for the trip, and made it a non-issue.

• Cheers 1

Was it worse than Hogs 5, game and fine though last game

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The general consensus among the wider hockey community is that it was an obvious penalty but the major was a bit too harsh.  Also, everyone seems to think Manson was funny as hell here.  I agree.  It was hilarious.

?

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I was about to say that I could get on board with a double, but honestly, in this case, he deliberately did it. Maybe heat of the moment, but it was not an accident that Boeser got hit in the face.

And the BS antics from the box... what a tool. Not surprised, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Don't crosscheck people in the face.  It's not a hard concept.

And if the refs had any balls, Manson would have already been in the box for the trip, and made it a non-issue.

You can't try to justify a major penalty and complain about a missed minor infraction in one go.  It was a missed call.  It happens.  I really can't complain about it since we got a very favorable call in the subsequent play.

The severity of an infraction should determine the punishment.  Why there isn't an in-between option (ie. a double minor) is beyond me.

16 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Was it worse than Hogs 5, game and fine though last game

?

I think Höglander's penalty was worse than Manson's.  Not way worse or anything.  Both are dangerous plays but one deserves a greater punishment.

14 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I was about to say that I could get on board with a double, but honestly, in this case, he deliberately did it. Maybe heat of the moment, but it was not an accident that Boeser got hit in the face.

And the BS antics from the box... what a tool. Not surprised, but it is what it is.

Again, you have to lighten up here.  Everyone is okay, and we got the favourable call here.  Fanbases across the entire league thought it was funny.  Like Bieksa mocking the call, or even Vern Fiddler cracking Vigneault.  It's funny.  I don't get why this forum is so upset over that.

Here is a hit by Lindell on Poitras earlier tonight.  I think it was far more egregious than Manson but all he got was 2 minutes.

Edited by Miss Korea

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

You can't try to justify a major penalty and complain about a missed minor infraction in one go.  It was a missed call.  It happens.  I really can't complain about it since we got a very favorable call in the subsequent play.

The severity of an infraction should determine the punishment.  Why there isn't an in-between option (ie. a double minor) is beyond me.

Why not? It should have been an easy call to make (the trip) but that would have given us a 5-3 advantage. Anyhow, all I meant was that he should have been in the box for that (if it was missed, fine, shit happens... if it was ignored, then that's BS) and not been in a position to get the major.

I don't have any issue with being an auto 5 and game for a crosscheck to the face.  At all. 

The only way I can imagine having a two tier penalty for face cross checks is if blood is involved. I don't think that's a good enough differentiator, but then I don't really like blood being the difference between a minor and a double for high sticks, cuz some high sticks are nasty and deliberate and just don't happen to draw blood, while an accidental nick can get you a double.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Why not? It should have been an easy call to make (the trip) but that would have given us a 5-3 advantage. Anyhow, all I meant was that he should have been in the box for that (if it was missed, fine, shit happens... if it was ignored, then that's BS) and not been in a position to get the major.

I don't have any issue with being an auto 5 and game for a crosscheck to the face.  At all. 

The only way I can imagine having a two tier penalty for face cross checks is if blood is involved. I don't think that's a good enough differentiator, but then I don't really like blood being the difference between a minor and a double for high sticks, cuz some high sticks are nasty and deliberate and just don't happen to draw blood, while an accidental nick can get you a double.

And yet I don’t see this as a particularly violent play.  Obviously Toronto did see it that way (or is it just the refs?).  So you are in agreement with the league on this instance.  I think Manson could have been much more violent and retaliatory with his intent and therefore the greater punishment should be reserved for that situation, IMO.

Do you know who did express surprise?  Shorty and Ray to a mild degree.  The radio men on SN650 to a greater degree.  Our own broadcast teams were surprised by the call.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think Höglander's penalty was worse than Manson's.  Not way worse or anything.  Both are dangerous plays but one deserves a greater punishment.

Again, you have to lighten up here.  Everyone is okay, and we got the favourable call here.  Fanbases across the entire league thought it was funny.  Like Bieksa mocking the call, or even Vern Fiddler cracking Vigneault.  It's funny.  I don't get why this forum is so upset over that.

Here is a hit by Lindell on Poitras earlier tonight.  I think it was far more egregious than Manson but all he got was 2 minutes.

Lindell got him under the Chin, not square in the face.  Not more egregious at all, IMO.

With Manson, we got the right call. Not favorable. Favorable would have been Boeser not getting any (not saying he should have got away with it). 

It was favorable to the Avs in the first, where the Av player should have got embellishment for grabbing and hauling down our guy (who fully deserved the interference call).

Manson's a goof. His antics would be funny, if Boeser had faked it.  Manson deserved what he got, and deserves scorn for the acting out.

• Cheers 1

Have tried to be patient seeing Petey out there obviously struggling through something but growing concerned that he has played what? 10 games or so not improving.

Now is this something the player has to play through because it won't heal without intervention and recovery time ? or is this something that can get better with a little more time while he plays through it?

A healthy Petey in a game like tonight could have been a difference maker, the type of player at full health who maybe pops a goal or sets up a play to take the lead.

Trying to be ok watching this unfold but the longer he looks compromised here and nobody is saying anything I worry its more than a " playing through it " injury.

37 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10096805-ranking-the-nhls-top-25-players-for-2023-24.amp.html

Lol. Hughes and Miller not even in the top 25 , and this was written in November? They have Pettersson at 17, that's it. 

Need to make them eat their words...

I hope it lights the fuse on Miller, and he goes even higher, than he already is...

He showed his true qualities yesterday. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Lindell got him under the Chin, not square in the face.  Not more egregious at all, IMO.

With Manson, we got the right call. Not favorable. Favorable would have been Boeser not getting any (not saying he should have got away with it). 

It was favorable to the Avs in the first, where the Av player should have got embellishment for grabbing and hauling down our guy (who fully deserved the interference call).

Manson's a goof. His antics would be funny, if Boeser had faked it.  Manson deserved what he got, and deserves scorn for the acting out.

They are acting like spoilt babies...

The refs were more than kind to them...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

He is getting scorn from literally nowhere but here.  All over X people are laughing about it.  All over reddit people are laughing about it.  It's funny.

As for Manson's hit, I watched it again.  He isn't even looking at Boeser when he retaliates.  This is just another case of two guys cross-checking each other.  Since one was worse and drew blood, you just give the extra two to that guy.  Not 5 and a misconduct.  

Look at the video one more time.  If I crosscheck you and you hit me back without looking, under no circumstances would I think you deserve a 5 and a game for that.

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

If the Pettersson line plays like a 1st line we probably win that game.

Pettersson -2

Mikheyev -2

Kuzmenko -3

Also what more does Hoglander have to do?

Anyways, move on to the next game.

What more does Garland need to do to get more ice time?  Every shift where he had the puck he created some excellent scoring chances.  Literally every pass to the slot turned into a shot.  But those shots came from grinders like Joshua and Blueger.  There was another play where a defender cleared the puck and Garly caught it mid-air before setting up another attack.

Give him and Höglander some goddamn shifts.  Not Anthony Beauvillier...

• Like 1