[PGT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023

Satchmo

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought of the bolded, which is why I said 'forwards'

Our d coaches are amazing and I think Toch stays out of their way. I bet Gonch has a big influence on our super star Dman.

But I think Toch has a rigid view of team systems and how forwards must play, based on what worked for him.

However, he never had the high end flash-skills like the players I mentioned.

That said, these are just my fears and you know I am not the biggest Rick fan. However, he has won me over some. How could he not with this good start we have had?

Pettersson, Miller and Boeser... Were all doing just fine.... All forward the last time I checked.

The team is simply running in to injuries and our improved but still thin D especially is being tested. We still also have some ill fitting pieces in the bottom 6. We were never going to stay completely healthy and high flying for 82 games.

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

What more does Garland need to do to get more ice time?  Every shift where he had the puck he created some excellent scoring chances.  Literally every pass to the slot turned into a shot.  But those shots came from grinders like Joshua and Blueger.  There was another play where a defender cleared the puck and Garly caught it mid-air before setting up another attack.

Give him and Höglander some goddamn shifts.  Not Anthony Beauvillier...

The 'other problem' with Garland and Beauvillier is neither has a shot.

"Girl, you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin."

Never mind goalie pads, you could stop either if you were playing on the 'skins' team.

These days, with these new whippersticks, anybody can rip the puck, sheesh! 

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I thought it was a GREAT, close game through 2 periods. Then being down to 4 D, some of our players sagging, and Colorado turning it up a notch did us in. They showed why they're cup champions/contenders and we're still working towards that.

It was a great game that was, imo, over officiated and that disrupted the fast flow of the game.  As far as the Canucks go, I thought it was their best game since Dallas, especially for the first two periods, but felt that the Avs showed us what the separation between the top teams and the rest looked like.  They played a consistent game all night and waited for the Canucks to make mistakes and then, when the game was on the point of being out of reach, they made sure it was out of reach.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol coming in here watching the EP bashing just shows how toxic this fan base is.. you want to know why EP line is struggling 5v5? coz the 2 defenceman he plays with majority of the time 5v5 creates 0 space can't push tempo can't get the puck up to the forwards..

I am sick of this type of generalization.

The 'fan base' is so diverse, a couple dozen negative comments after a loss does not constitute a toxic fan base.

And, we did not riot; some stupid entitled, blasted, dickheads did.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

Just now, Goal_thecup said:

I am sick of this type of generalization.

The 'fan base' is so diverse, a couple dozen negative comments after a loss does not constitute a toxic fan base.

And, we did not riot; some stupid entitled, blasted, dickheads did.

bingo. Maybe the people seeing the "toxic" part are the contributors to that? 

its horse pucks. We're not different than any other fan base. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

As for the game.   Could have gone either way, refs disturbed the flow (not unusual there).   Not a morale victory.    EPs line needs to get some jam, if they were on flip the score.   

Injuries now are showing exactly what our weakness is, lack of legit top four D's, or at least more quality proven NHL vets.

Great post!

It think it all comes down to this.  Outside of Hughes and Hronek who are the other legit top 4 d on this team?  Not talking about guys that they can hide in that role for stretches, but legit middle pair D men that can put the team in a position to compete the contenders. I think we have been so used to watching trash on the D that when a guy like Cole or Soucy comes in and plays solid they look like saviors. 

Team has taken a big step in the right direction this year.  They need 2 more D men and probably at least one more winger with size and some skill. A hellofalot closer than they were 2 or 3 years ago.  The fact that they looked like they were going toe to toe with Colorado last night with Juulsen, Friedman and Myers on D all playing in roles above their heads shows how close they are IMHO

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

54 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Just checking to see who's jumping off the bandwagon.

The Usual Suspects, plus some newbs.

A loss is always good for adding to the Ignore List.

'toxic fan base' is back; sqwdykwidhwel is back; they love to wallow.

rhino-poop.gif

Ever wonder where the negs come from?  Wonder no more:

ace-ventura-rhino-puke-reaction-slkzi8ml

• Haha 2

My assessment:

Evenly matched game.  

I am still shaking my head that the Canucks negated a match penalty by taking weak minor penalties.

EP40 line was suppressed and didn’t look like a threat most of the night.

JTM is amazing.

Super bad luck with injuries in this game.  

I liked that the team didn’t seem to get rattled when they had bad breaks and continued to battle.

Overall a good showing.  Lost this battle but the season is a campaign.  Lots to feel confident about.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

Great post!

It think it all comes down to this.  Outside of Hughes and Hronek who are the other legit top 4 d on this team?  Not talking about guys that they can hide in that role for stretches, but legit middle pair D men that can put the team in a position to compete the contenders. I think we have been so used to watching trash on the D that when a guy like Cole or Soucy comes in and plays solid they look like saviors. 

Team has taken a big step in the right direction this year.  They need 2 more D men and probably at least one more winger with size and some skill. A hellofalot closer than they were 2 or 3 years ago.  The fact that they looked like they were going toe to toe with Colorado last night with Juulsen, Friedman and Myers on D all playing in roles above their heads shows how close they are IMHO

They're certainly in the playoffs mix and, though they can't take their goot off the pedal from here on out, I think they should be in a decently comfortable playoff spot by the tdl.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

bingo. Maybe the people seeing the "toxic" part are the contributors to that? 

its horse pucks. We're not different than any other fan base. 

Yeah, but, we're not like everybody else.

At least, "I'm not like everybody else." - Ray Davies of The Kinks

We're way smarter and better looking.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

The refs might have been also factoring in a missed call where he swiped Brock's feet out from under him at the blue line prior to the net front stuff. Dangerous....and considering Hoglander's deal, warranted to factor it all in. Plus...crosscheck to the neck/head area just isn't cool.

403685947_10160650912545549_131129826972

Reffing was atrocious on both sides though. Very hit and miss.

This is a good photo to suggest my point that Manson clearly wasn't being malicious in his retaliation.  He is very obviously NOT making eye contact.  In real-time, it happened incredibly quickly and he is just pushing back against Boeser's initial crosscheck.  Him not looking would also explain why he was so upset in the penalty box.  He thought Boeser was selling the call and didn't realize he got him square in the face (and drew blood).

Look at the angle here.  In order for Manson to crosscheck Boeser in the chest, he would have to basically swing straight down.  I am not blaming either player here.  Both deserved penalties and I think Manson deserved an extra two for drawing blood.  But the rules don't work that way.  IMO there just isn't enough to warrant such a harsh punishment.  

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pettersson, Miller and Boeser... Were all doing just fine.... All forward the last time I checked.

The team is simply running in to injuries and our improved but still thin D especially is being tested. We still also have some ill fitting pieces in the bottom 6. We were never going to stay completely healthy and high flying for 82 games.

Again,

These are just my fears. You get your own.🙃

That Miller though huh aGent?

What a player.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly!

Watching the game last night though, 3 things were evident

1) Our skill, speed, drive, and quality of coaching are as good as any contending team; Great job PA!

2) We need to find a big physical Dman capable of being on 2nd pair. Seeing Manson play last night (before he got ejected) made me wish we had signed him.

3) I have pushed back say it isnt needed, but last night really showed our lack of size. The Avs were able to control the front of our net when Myers and Friedman were not on the ice. This gets better with when Soucy is back, but we really still need a bit more size in our fwd group and that one Dman. Man I wish Podz could find his game again...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

is hogs and garland playing against other teams top shutdown line? last i checked they are not.  EP is playing against the top shutdown line where time and space will be very hard to come by. on top of having your defenceman unable to push the puck up to the forward or create any space. is EP struggling? for sure he is.. but is he struggling because he sucks? or is he struggling because there's lack of talent and the other team just have to focus on 1 player and pretty much ignore the other 4? there's probably no other ppg player in the league the last 3 season that played with less talent and more random players than EP 5v5.. other teams figured out.. just focus and shut ep down.. the other 4 will automatically be shutdown because they are not capable of creating space themselves.

Ok so he plays with Hughes on the PP so is your excuse still the same there? its not that he sucks I think he is having confidence issues TBH. 

Either way, again, if he wants to be paid one of the highest salaries in the league, you have to find ways how to perform and help your team win. 

Again, players that get paid way less then him, are finding ways to perform. Garland, Hogs, Miller, Hughes and Hronek have been playing great for us on a very consistent basis. 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I thought it was a GREAT, close game through 2 periods. Then being down to 4 D, some of our players sagging, and Colorado turning it up a notch did us in. They showed why they're cup champions/contenders and we're still working towards that.

Im proud of this team.

Colorado came out hard but we weathered the first shift and fought back.

We started to carry the play and put Col on their heels. 

That interference call on Cole was stupid. It was a pretty normal amount of interference we see in the course of the game where a defender is skating backwards in front of the forechecker but Tufte engaged, jumped and  grabbed Cole and then fell down. Usually when we see the penalty called, it's because the defensemen is the one initiating body contact

We battled through that PK and when Hoggie scored, you could see Col starting to embellish and play a bit dirty.

Byram was barely touched and launched himself into the boards when he felt a tap from Garland.  Garland was about to hit him harder and then realized it was gonna be cross checking and held up and literally tapped him. It's embarrassing. That PP resulted in Nishushkin's goal and tied the game at 1.

I felt like the ref had to call it because Garlands hands did touch Byram's back and it happened so quickly but Byram needs to play with more pride. That was 100% a dive. That had nothing to do with Garland. Garland is not stupid enough to take a crosschecking penalty as a lone forechecker 180 ft from his net when all eyes are on him.

That being said, I thought we were better the first 2 periods.

I dunno if Manson deserved the 5. If I was the ref, I would have given him a 2 and nothing on Boeser. I think the ref jumped the gun and motioned both players for cross checking right away but the linesmen jumped in and informed the ref that it was a headshot.  This then made it reviewable and took the ruling out of the ref's hands.

That 5 min penalty resulted in a slew of other missed calls because the ref probably felt that it was a bit excessive on Manson and he was evening things out including taking the Canucks off the PP

Huge missed call on the Nishushkin crosscheck to Friedman's head.

It was more of a high stick as they were jostling for position and Val was holding his stick in a cross check position but got his stick high when they were jousting. The stick was horizontal and went under the visor and cut Friedman. You need to be in control of your stick. Friedman was cut on that play so it should have been a double minor but that was missed.

Enough about reffing...

Up to this point, I was thinking, hey win or lose, we showed that we can battle with Colorado and they need to embellish and get the refs help to keep it close. Those guys are screwed when playoffs are on.

The main thing I noticed was in the 3rd period was when you could see the difference in depth when our D got injured vs when Manson got tossed.

Colorado kicked it up a notch while we deflated

I have no doubt when Soucy comes back, if we add another top 4D  and perhaps an upgrade at forward (not even necessary), we can beat Colorado in a playoff series.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

We have really slipped in our fundamentals in the game and there's a reason why our bottom six is performing way better. They are working a lot harder.

Teams have the book on us that we are aiming to set up screened goals which is good, but we have become very predictable. We never use the backdoor or side of the net tips anymore. Our powerplay never has guys moving into the middle or back post...

And guys like Boeser just aren't shooting the puck anymore.

Our defense was better tonight oddly enough, despite giving up a lot of goals.

Wouldn't mind seeing the lotto line because the top 6 isn't performing. Need Mikheyev to do more of a 3rd line role and regain his success. Kuzmenko needs to work on his forecheck.

Bump Hoggy up as well.

This game of all games was the one I wanted to win for Hughes. Letting Makar get points was annoying to me. They should be banding together to boost Hughes up in the season for his hard work. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AussieCanuckinUK said:

Disturbing Kyle Maclachlan GIF by IFC

a disturbing trend is starting to evolve here.....still not enough secondary scoring...and defensive lapses and taking bad penalties...sigh...sounding like the Nucks of old...but they aren't...well at least I hope they are different....Cmon Toccy...gotta nip some of the  bad habits...especially with the kraken rematch....and FFS ..stop it with the 5 goals given up!!! 

What do you mean?

Hoggie scored on the 4th line while Joshua , Bleuger, all had glorious chances and Bleuger and Laff, Garly played well. Depth scoring is definitely there.

The game was lost when Peteys line got scored on against fricking a line of Colton Tufte and a Miles Wood point shot. 

What's unfortunate is just seconds before that goal, that line set up a really good chance for Juulsen in the slot.  The save was made and the puck got transitioned. Juulsen got to Colton on time behind the net but didnt tie up his stick.  Pass made it up to Wood who shot it between Peteys legs who was coming out to block the shot. 

Eric Cole was also losing his battle in the crease with Tufte.

Here's a common theme I noticed on the Canucks.  Besides Cole, we are all terrible shot blockers.

Mik missed a block on the Makar shot leading to a goal.

Last game Miller was talking about missing the block on the PK that led to a goal.

I see other teams blocking A LOT of our shots.

Our forwards need to do a better job of closing and blocking.

It sucks that the game was lost on a play like that but that'll be playoff hockey. We need to get better at defending and scoring those types of goals.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Granted, getting it in deep to change is fine, but the issue I see against a team like the AVs is that they are so good at retrieving the puck and then gaining our zone with ease, and then controlling the puck in our zone for an extended period of time. We then get the puck, flip it out, chase, lose a check, etc. etc. When we do get good possession, they then dump and chase again for a change and the cycle repeats. 

I see a lot of positives early with this team, but I also notice a similar style to Green, and my concern is that that's what's tiring our guys out each game. It's not a sustainable style of play against good teams. Weak teams, sure, as teams like San Jose, Chicago, Edmonton all suck, but when we play the AVs, Knights, Kings, etc., I feel like we need to play more of a possession style game. The more we have the puck, the fresher we'll be from not having to chase pucks and teams around the ice, and the better the chance of winning. The Sedins were kings with this style of play, until after AV was fired and Tortorella came in and moved away from a possession style game. 

I think last night you kinda have to tip your cap to Colorado, it's easy to say they should hold onto pucks but hard to do when the other team is so fast & aggressive. They don't make it easy.

In some games theyve been able to hold onto the puck more, other games they haven't, and that's what playoff hockey is like. Sometimes it's a game of battles. The Twins themselves did alot of chipping the puck in to areas & being strong to win it back. 

Obviously you want to have possession but maybe they aren't fast enough to be a dominant possession team against everyone quite yet. They probably still need to adjust personnel in the forward group.

Also hurts when most of your defense aren't great at moving the puck (bottom 4 aside from Cole).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This wasnt a bad game but can definitely be improved upon

the guys need to start creating havoc and scoring some greasy goals

one thing I noticed is the offence starts from the perimeters and then they take advantage of defensive breakdowns to get scoring opportunities. These are what i would call pretty goals, but this doesnt come with out risk, turnovers generally lead to odd man rushes and when the offence dries up plays start to get more forced leading to more turnovers, Makars goal last night.

what would really help is to just get the puck to the net and have 2 forwards creating havoc to have the other team collapse defensively and to get a few greasy greasy goals or to just wear the other team down a bit and get them scrambling

• Like 2