[PGT] Canucks @ Avalanche Nov 22 2023

Satchmo

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Also hurts when most of your defense aren't great at moving the puck (bottom 4 aside from Cole).

to be fair to Myers, Juleson and Friedman, Cole looked like the one out of position for 2 goals against last night. Like he was trying too hard. Its hard to play systems when emotions are in the mix, playing a former team.

20 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

We have really slipped in our fundamentals in the game and there's a reason why our bottom six is performing way better. They are working a lot harder.

Teams have the book on us that we are aiming to set up screened goals which is good, but we have become very predictable. We never use the backdoor or side of the net tips anymore. Our powerplay never has guys moving into the middle or back post...

And guys like Boeser just aren't shooting the puck anymore.

Our defense was better tonight oddly enough, despite giving up a lot of goals.

Wouldn't mind seeing the lotto line because the top 6 isn't performing. Need Mikheyev to do more of a 3rd line role and regain his success. Kuzmenko needs to work on his forecheck.

Bump Hoggy up as well.

This game of all games was the one I wanted to win for Hughes. Letting Makar get points was annoying to me. They should be banding together to boost Hughes up in the season for his hard work. 

Well said, I do feel like we are regressing back to old habits again. Colorado plays like we were at the beginning of the season and we have drifted away from that for sure.

We are letting them come to us again and we are backing off instead of attacking. Miller seems to be the only one sticking to the plan and forechecking and back checking and finishing his checks consistently in the top 6. Boeser is doing really well too but he is not as consistent as Miller is.

The bottom 6 are doing awesome and they seem to be getting most of the better scoring chances lately with their hard work. 

We are a work in progress so I hope they see what is happening and make the necessary changes moving forward.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny said:

This wasnt a bad game but can definitely be improved upon

the guys need to start creating havoc and scoring some greasy goals

one thing I noticed is the offence starts from the perimeters and then they take advantage of defensive breakdowns to get scoring opportunities. These are what i would call pretty goals, but this doesnt come with out risk, turnovers generally lead to odd man rushes and when the offence dries up plays start to get more forced leading to more turnovers, Makars goal last night.

what would really help is to just get the puck to the net and have 2 forwards creating havoc to have the other team collapse defensively and to get a few greasy greasy goals or to just wear the other team down a bit and get them scrambling

I thought Joshua did that well last night and particularly in the last handful of games, just no finish.

I don't think enough of our forwards go to the net hard. I think a byproduct that our team is not completely finished being built yet to match the system we want to play fully. We have a lot of players who either have skill or will...but very few who have both.

The lack of depth caught up to us along with Colorado being a veteran savvy team. They know how to really shut things down and have the experience to know what it takes to win a hockey game in these grind it out sort of matches. We are still learning to do that consistently.

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

to be fair to Myers, Juleson and Friedman, Cole looked like the one out of position for 2 goals against last night. Like he was trying too hard. Its hard to play systems when emotions are in the mix, playing a former team.

Ya Juulsen & Friedman had admirable efforts last night, especially Juulsen it was definitely his best game.

But I don't think those guys quite have the puck skills Cole does, like on one play it was ringed around for Juulsen behind the net & he kinda flubbed it then Colorado was able to turn it over and have possession in our zone for like a minute. Even Myers has decent puck skills but his decision making isn't always the quickest & sometimes he makes complete blunders. Coles not a skill player but any means but he is good enough that he can make those plays.

That's the difference for us right now in having those guys in our bottom 4 whereas contenders have guys like Byram, Martinez, K'Andre Miller, exc.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

This isn't the old CDC... you're allowed to say Bitch here!!!

I am tired of the overuse of 'bitch' and all its stupid variants, like bee-atch or whatever.

I am tired.

I am old.

But here is a Kale Car Mick:

smart-car-covered-in-artificial-grass-in

Who names their kid after a vegetable?

Carrot McDavid, Radish Raddysh, Beet Nic Dowd, ??

Ok, trying too hard; where is the GD GDT for the next GD Game?!?

The last one is, as 'the kids these days' say, sooooooooooo over.

56 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Im proud of this team.

Colorado came out hard but we weathered the first shift and fought back.

We started to carry the play and put Col on their heels. 

That interference call on Cole was stupid. It was a pretty normal amount of interference we see in the course of the game where a defender is skating backwards in front of the forechecker but Tufte engaged, jumped and  grabbed Cole and then fell down. Usually when we see the penalty called, it's because the defensemen is the one initiating body contact

We battled through that PK and when Hoggie scored, you could see Col starting to embellish and play a bit dirty.

Byram was barely touched and launched himself into the boards when he felt a tap from Garland.  Garland was about to hit him harder and then realized it was gonna be cross checking and held up and literally tapped him. It's embarrassing. That PP resulted in Nishushkin's goal and tied the game at 1.

I felt like the ref had to call it because Garlands hands did touch Byram's back and it happened so quickly but Byram needs to play with more pride. That was 100% a dive. That had nothing to do with Garland. Garland is not stupid enough to take a crosschecking penalty as a lone forechecker 180 ft from his net when all eyes are on him.

That being said, I thought we were better the first 2 periods.

I dunno if Manson deserved the 5. If I was the ref, I would have given him a 2 and nothing on Boeser. I think the ref jumped the gun and motioned both players for cross checking right away but the linesmen jumped in and informed the ref that it was a headshot.  This then made it reviewable and took the ruling out of the ref's hands.

That 5 min penalty resulted in a slew of other missed calls because the ref probably felt that it was a bit excessive on Manson and he was evening things out including taking the Canucks off the PP

Huge missed call on the Nishushkin crosscheck to Friedman's head.

It was more of a high stick as they were jostling for position and Val was holding his stick in a cross check position but got his stick high when they were jousting. The stick was horizontal and went under the visor and cut Friedman. You need to be in control of your stick. Friedman was cut on that play so it should have been a double minor but that was missed.

Enough about reffing...

Up to this point, I was thinking, hey win or lose, we showed that we can battle with Colorado and they need to embellish and get the refs help to keep it close. Those guys are screwed when playoffs are on.

The main thing I noticed was in the 3rd period was when you could see the difference in depth when our D got injured vs when Manson got tossed.

Colorado kicked it up a notch while we deflated

I have no doubt when Soucy comes back, if we add another top 4D  and perhaps an upgrade at forward (not even necessary), we can beat Colorado in a playoff series.

if they can add a top 4 d, without giving up a first or any significant prospect, great.  If not, I'd prefer they wait until the off season and find a better value deal or look to UFA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

if they can add a top 4 d, without giving up a first or any significant prospect, great.  If not, I'd prefer they wait until the off season and find a better value deal or look to UFA.

Can't really see that possible (getting one without giving up alot).  We only got Hronek with assets from Horvat deal as a bargaining chip (no he's not great Horvat but he was in the midst of a career type year - selling high)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah I agree. No panic moves right now unless a great deal comes along.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

To be honest they need someone to pair with Myers. I like Cole and everything but Myers is at least looking like a 4 million d-man, considering he is already paid for the year I think we build on that pair.

I am not even sure we need to add a D-Man, maybe just try out some Woo, Wolanin instead of Juul/Friedman till Soucy back/

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Can't really see that possible (getting one without giving up alot).  We only got Hronek with assets from Horvat deal as a bargaining chip (no he's not great Horvat but he was in the midst of a career type year - selling high)

and I was absolutely fine with using that extra pick to get him, but I don't want to see that this year and giving up their only 1st.  They're not at that stage yet, imo

Just now, Tusk said:

To be honest they need someone to pair with Myers. I like Cole and everything but Myers is at least looking like a 4 million d-man, considering he is already paid for the year I think we build on that pair.

I am not even sure we need to add a D-Man, maybe just try out some Woo, Wolanin instead of Juul/Friedman till Soucy back/

I'd like to see Woo get a shot, just to see how he looks.  He's been the best overall dman for Abby going on two years (though you could make a case for Juuls too) and at some point, they need to see if he can make the jump or not.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

If some of the stars don't show up to play, those Losses will catch up to those Wins real quick.

Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Boeser all had a bad game. Miller wasn't much better.

Counting on the bottom 6 to beat the former Stanley Cup champs is a joke. 

Edited by Nucker67
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

and I was absolutely fine with using that extra pick to get him, but I don't want to see that this year and giving up their only 1st.  They're not at that stage yet, imo

Giving up a first for a rental no.   But a cost controlled RFA, it's worth looking into.    We still should have cash for a UFA (if we are lucky enough to get one, it's  definitely not a game of paying a little more, those guys get to choose where they want to go, and 53 versus 36.6-low 40% for a lot of teams is a big disadvantage if we pay the full premium).    A trade and sign might be ok too.  As a rental who's traded to us and signed.    And our firsts are no longer blue chip firsts.   Or at least shouldn't be, even with .500 plus some loser points,  likely around 15-16th.   Don't want to waste them on rentals either though.    Need to make the playoffs for awhile be doing that.   Gillis did it once.   That's it. 

Edited by IBatch

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd like to see Woo get a shot, just to see how he looks.  He's been the best overall dman for Abby going on two years (though you could make a case for Juuls too) and at some point, they need to see if he can make the jump or not.

I think Wolanin has seen enough last year to get his feet wet for this year. Woo needs a chance to show his defense behind an Offensive D like Myers.

Woo/Cole and Wolanin/Myers would be awesome but not sure which is L or R at the moment lol I am just brainstorming

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

If some of the stars don't show up to play, those Losses will catch up to those Wins real quick.

Counting on the bottom 6 to beat the reigning Stanley Cup champs is a joke. 

COL is so 2022.  Passé. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

I think Wolanin has seen enough last year to get his feet wet for this year. Woo needs a chance to show his defense behind an Offensive D like Myers.

Woo/Cole and Wolanin/Myers would be awesome but not sure which is L or R at the moment lol I am just brainstorming

But Wolanin/Myers seems like a Hughes/Heronik pair... I am one of the guys who was fighting putting our eggs in one Hughes basket

6 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Lol. Explaining Fran Healy GIF by Travis

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Counting on the bottom 6 to beat the former Stanley Cup champs is a joke. 

Damn.  I liked it better before!   Also you're right.  

Edited by IBatch

23 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Counting on the bottom 6 to beat the reigning Stanley Cup champs is a joke. 

Sometimes its all about preventing their offense from thier top lines, and letting our bottom 5 or 6 do the scoring. Thats playoff hockey/

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought of the bolded, which is why I said 'forwards'

Our d coaches are amazing and I think Toch stays out of their way. I bet Gonch has a big influence on our super star Dman.

But I think Toch has a rigid view of team systems and how forwards must play, based on what worked for him.

However, he never had the high end flash-skills like the players I mentioned.

That said, these are just my fears and you know I am not the biggest Rick fan. However, he has won me over some. How could he not with this good start we have had?

Tocchet was not as skilled as Petterson but he was still a very skilled hockey player. Not just all toughness as his 952 points in 1144 games indicates.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

It was a great game that was, imo, over officiated and that disrupted the fast flow of the game.  As far as the Canucks go, I thought it was their best game since Dallas, especially for the first two periods, but felt that the Avs showed us what the separation between the top teams and the rest looked like.  They played a consistent game all night and waited for the Canucks to make mistakes and then, when the game was on the point of being out of reach, they made sure it was out of reach.

It may have been over officiated, especially that second where the flow got taken out of the game. Those games are hard to call though when everyone is flying around at 100 mph and being feisty on every play. Sometimes the players themselves just refuse to settle down. We really played a good tight checking playoff style, and Colorado reciprocated. Pretty good game even though we didn't get the result. Hopefully we carry this play forward to next game.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

43 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I am tired of the overuse of 'bitch' and all its stupid variants, like bee-atch or whatever.

I am tired.

I am old.

But here is a Kale Car Mick:

smart-car-covered-in-artificial-grass-in

Who names their kid after a vegetable?

Carrot McDavid, Radish Raddysh, Beet Nic Dowd, ??

Ok, trying too hard; where is the GD GDT for the next GD Game?!?

The last one is, as 'the kids these days' say, sooooooooooo over.

Cale is a name.

Kale is a plant.

Just sayin'.