Danila Klimovich | RW

6 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

What are they going to say about him?   
‘Klim has been a disappointing pick by our franchise and it doesn’t look good for him’.  
lol. 

The platitudes

Work on the basics

Has the size skill

Up to him

Needs to work on X and Y

Taking our time with him

Adjustment period

Needs to pay attention to

We have high expectations

It's up to him

Drafted him for a reason, needs to show up and justify it

Has to work on Y and Z

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The platitudes

Work on the basics

Has the size skill

Up to him

Needs to work on X and Y

Taking our time with him

Adjustment period

Needs to pay attention to

We have high expectations

It's up to him

Drafted him for a reason, needs to show up and justify it

Has to work on Y and Z

Snd the thing is Klim O does have the size, puck skills and skating to be a good NHLer. It’s not exactly like those things you mention aren’t true for Klim. 

12 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

What are they going to say about him?   
‘Klim has been a disappointing pick by our franchise and it doesn’t look good for him’.  
lol. 

It’s not what they say about him, it’s what they talk about with him, who works with him individually at practices, etc. Again, you don’t have to believe me, time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Snd the thing is Klim O does have the size, puck skills and skating to be a good NHLer. It’s not exactly like those things you mention aren’t true for Klim. 

Nobody is denying that.  

The truth is, less than .35 ppg at the AHL level is not exactly sparkling or elite.  This is under 2 different coaches and soon to be 3 under malhotra.  I'd suggest he has 2 more seasons before the org cuts ties with him or he's an add on for another trade.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Nobody is denying that.  

The truth is, less than .35 ppg at the AHL level is not exactly sparkling or elite.  This is under 2 different coaches and soon to be 3 under malhotra.  I'd suggest he has 2 more seasons before the org cuts ties with him or he's an add on for another trade.

Again, you are stating the obvious. Klim O is 21 and we have him through 25/26. So two more seasons to prove himself. He’s also close to 210 pounds, skates great, and has elite puck skills. He’s the kind of package of skill and size that can’t be taught. He’s still learning how to play the game. 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again, you are stating the obvious. Klim O is 21 and we have him through 25/26. So two more seasons to prove himself. He’s also close to 210 pounds, skates great, and has elite puck skills. He’s the kind of package of skill and size that can’t be taught. He’s still learning how to play the game. 

Large

Can skate

Elite puck skills.

Wanna know who else this was said about?  IIRC you may have said this yourself

Jurmo, Woo, Gadjovich and the list goes on and on and on.

Growing up playing hockey, playing professionally as a teen and young adult you're not "learning to play the game" as much as you're proving you belong in the show.    Less than .35 points per game is not elite.  It is pedestrian.  You can repeat this all day long and it won't change a thing about him or his progress thus far.  At this point he is underwhelming as a 2nd round pick period.  As for others drafted in his year, there's I think 11 or so that have played in the major leagues and others finishing university programs that are showing the same or better promise.

It's up to him to prove he belongs but I for one have tempered my expectations like I've had to do dozens of times in the past

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Large

Can skate

Elite puck skills.

Wanna know who else this was said about?  IIRC you may have said this yourself

Jurmo, Woo, Gadjovich and the list goes on and on and on.

Growing up playing hockey, playing professionally as a teen and young adult you're not "learning to play the game" as much as you're proving you belong in the show.    Less than .35 points per game is not elite.  It is pedestrian.  You can repeat this all day long and it won't change a thing about him or his progress thus far.  At this point he is underwhelming as a 2nd round pick period.  As for others drafted in his year, there's I think 11 or so that have played in the major leagues and others finishing university programs that are showing the same or better promise.

It's up to him to prove he belongs but I for one have tempered my expectations like I've had to do dozens of times in the past

100% agree. But it’s not arguable that Klim O has the natural gifts that can’t be taught. If he learns those parts of the game that can be taught then we have another big body on the big club. 

2 hours ago, RomanPer said:

It’s not what they say about him, it’s what they talk about with him, who works with him individually at practices, etc. Again, you don’t have to believe me, time will tell.

As a current asset, it would be ridiculous to not try to improve on him….

And no, I don’t believe you.  
But that’s simply for the fact that most prospects don’t pan out, and he hasn’t been impressive at all since coming to NA.  
But, like with all Canucks, I’m rooting for him and hope for the best. 
I just don’t see it with him. 
Im also a huge fan of eating giant plates of crow.  
It’s great when I’m wrong about a prospect not working out!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

As a current asset, it would be ridiculous to not try to improve on him….

And no, I don’t believe you.  
But that’s simply for the fact that most prospects don’t pan out, and he hasn’t been impressive at all since coming to NA.  
But, like with all Canucks, I’m rooting for him and hope for the best. 
I just don’t see it with him. 
Im also a huge fan of eating giant plates of crow.  
It’s great when I’m wrong about a prospect not working out!

You do know that Danila is a family friend of mine, right? 🙂 

To be fair about Klimovich, he was a frequent scratch and when he did play, he didn't get a lot of ice time. Now the old catch-22 is "if he played better, he'd get more ice time", but how can he play better if he's stapled to the bench or eating popcorn in the press box? I have seen glimpses of what he can be and it's been impressive, but it has been a challenge for him to win a steady lineup spot. Maybe Malhotra, coming in with a new set of eyes and an open mind, will see a potential top liner winger who is a beast to play against. I still don't know if he will become an impact NHL player, but I agree with Roman that it is too early to write him off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, RomanPer said:

You do know that Danila is a family friend of mine, right? 🙂 

I do!  That’s very cool!  
Do you have a crystal ball as well?

edit:   I should clarify. 
I believe what you say.  
I believe you know him and he is getting a lot of attention in training/practices/development. 
IMO, it would be ridiculous for an organization to not do that with their prospects. 

I dont believe what you think will happen with him. 
I just haven’t seen anything that makes me think he will be a solid NHLer……yet.  
But again, I sure hope he does!   
Big kid that can skate.  I dig it. 

Edited by D.B Cooper

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So at some point the reality starts looking more and more like a longer shot than you'd hope for and more like a missed pick; of which we've had literally hundreds if not bordering on the thousands over the decades.

It's not often I get the chance to do this, so I hope you'll forgive me WH. 😄 

I get your point, but "bordering on the thousands" is somewhat exaggerated, considering our team has only been in the league 50-odd years, and even if we had 10 picks per year that would still put us at around 500 picks - and let's not forget that the last number of years the draft has only gone to 7 rounds, and then factoring in trades where we gave away draft picks like party favours to sweeten trades, I don't believe we've even made 500 picks since the beginning of the franchise. 😉

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He just turned 21, maybe don't write off guys at that age just yet.  The problem is he came over as a teenager, so it feels like he hasnt progressed much

I think he did exceptionally well as a teenager in the AHL. Most others in his draft were still

playing in the Jr leagues. Coming to a foreign land with: a new language; no family; a different

style of hockey; the smaller ice; should be factored in as well.

I look forward to seeing how he does next season; with a new coach and good health.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, RomanPer said:

That’s fair. Of course, his development can go either way. All I’m saying is that organization still believes in him. I sure hope he can become that scoring power forward we need so badly. A better version of Dakota Joshua.

That would be a great comparison, unfortunately teams don't usually have 8 years or more to stick with a prospect and his development. When we got Joshua we gave him an NHL contract but he was well into his mid 20s.

I hope we can get more from Klim but it also can't be easy for him to now have a 3rd coach, hopefully the team realizes this and spends the time and gives him a longer leash this coming fall with more playing time to try and work through some deficienies...being scratched doesn't achieve that kids need to play and know that some mistakes won't lead them to being press boxed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Viking said:

That would be a great comparison, unfortunately teams don't usually have 8 years or more to stick with a prospect and his development. When we got Joshua we gave him an NHL contract but he was well into his mid 20s.

I hope we can get more from Klim but it also can't be easy for him to now have a 3rd coach, hopefully the team realizes this and spends the time and gives him a longer leash this coming fall with more playing time to try and work through some deficienies...being scratched doesn't achieve that kids need to play and know that some mistakes won't lead them to being press boxed.

This is the message he got directly from Allvin (more proper development time in Abby). Will see next season.

• Like 1

Sometimes players just need time and patience. If we are just looking for a 4th liner then he could probably play next season. But, he has the talent to play up the lineup and be an impact player and those types of players take time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2024 at 2:24 PM, D.B Cooper said:

Because Benning was a fucking idiot. 

We both know you won’t answer the question because everyone knows there isn’t a single ‘elite’ thing about Klim.  
If he was elite, we’d all be hearing about it.   
He isn’t even in our top 5 of prospects. 
That isn’t elite 

Ya, Benning and CENTRAL SCOUTING. GJ there.