[Report] Blackhawks' Perry misses practice after scratch for 'organizational decision'

RWJC

Timeline of events

Nov. 21: Perry practices normally with Blackhawks

Perry was spotted practicing as usual, taking photos with fans and staying late on the ice to work with rookie Connor Bedard on a routine shooting drill. This was the last time Perry was seen with the Blackhawks in any official capacity.

ESPN's Emily Kaplan reported this was the day the alleged incident took place.

Nov. 22: Perry is healthy-scratched for game against Blue Jackets

Perry was deemed a healthy scratch with no prior indication from the Blackhawks that he would miss this game.

Nov. 23: Richardson calls the scratch an “organizational decision”

Blackhawks head coach Luke Richardson invited more speculation when he revealed that Perry’s scratch was an organizational decision, rather than a tactical one.

"I just wanted to start by saying I know you have questions about Corey Perry not playing last night and attending practice today but we’re going to keep that internal in the organization right now," Richardson said via Charlie Roumeliotis of NBC Sports. "I’m not going to be able to answer any more questions on that."

Blackhawks players also weighed in on Perry’s absence publicly for the first time.

"We've got a lot of young guys, so it's kind of a shock at first,” Blackhawks forward Nick Foligno said via The Athletic’s Mark Lazerus. “But it's being a pro. We talk about it and this is an opportunity to do that. It's the outside noise that you have to push away, whether it's this or anything else that's going on in your life."

Connor Bedard also spoke about the matter.

“I'm not going to speak on it too much," Bedard said of Perry's absence. "Obviously it sucks he's not here but we don't really have too much information on it or anything yet, but of course he's a big part of the team and it sucks he can't be here today."

Nov. 25: Davidson reveals Perry would be absent for “the foreseeable future”

Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson told reporters that Perry would be away for the foreseeable future. He also made the distinction that it was a team decision.

Perry's agent released a statement saying his client was stepping aside for personal matters.

Nov. 28: Blackhawks place Perry on waivers for purpose of contract termination

Chicago placed Perry on waivers for the purpose of contract termination, ending his tenure with the team. With rampant speculation surrounding the mysterious nature of Perry’s absence, Davidson held a press conference later that afternoon.

Nov. 29: Perry clears waivers

Perry cleared waivers and his contract was terminated immediately. He finished his Blackhawks career with four goals and nine points in 16 games with the franchise.

Davidson then revealed Perry was involved in an incident with a team employee that happened on Nov. 21 in Columbus.

“I just can’t get into specifics because it is an individual personnel matter,” Davidson said.

Davidson then revealed Perry was involved in an incident with a team employee that happened on Nov. 21 in Columbus.

“I just can’t get into specifics because it is an individual personnel matter,” Davidson said.

Alcohol reportedly involved

According to Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff, the incident reportedly was "alcohol-fueled" and allegedly took place in Nashville on Nov. 17. Seravalli added that the incident occurred during a Blackhawks-organized corporate event that included sponsors and team employees in attendance, though he also indicated that the timing, witnesses, and who reported it to the Blackhawks were still unclear.

Incident was not criminal

Davidson was immediately asked if there’s any criminality involving Perry. He paused before stating that “this was a workplace matter” — a phrase he repeated multiple times during the span of his 10-minute press conference when asked about any involvement of law enforcement or criminality.

NHL and NHLPA were informed

Davidson also revealed that the NHL and NHLPA are aware of the details surrounding Perry’s incident.

“The league was understanding of the situation as was the NHLPA. All parties are informed but again, team incident so it’s a team decision.”

Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported that the NHLPA is reviewing the Perry incident and the union has 60 days to file a grievance following the termination of his contract.

Blackhawks players don't know what happened

Davidson stated that the Blackhawks players aren’t aware of the details surrounding the incident. He revealed that he met with the team earlier Tuesday, informing them of the organization’s decision to release Perry. Asked about the players’ reaction, Davidson merely stated they listened and he didn’t indicate whether the players provided any feedback.

Chicago defenseman Seth Jones offered the following comment, per Lazerus.

"He’s a brother and we care about everyone in this room. We don’t have any details of what happened, but I know the organization wants to keep a (level of) conduct here, and a place where we hold each other to a standard. I guess that was broken."

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Apology accepted Corey, now get that help and Godspeed in your recovery

Doesnt add up. Why wasnt he sent to the NHL player assistance program? 

Chicago fucked this whole situation up harder than Perry fucked that mom

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Termination of a contract for substance abuse. Yea lets shit can a guy for his “issues” El oh el. Worst cover up job ever.

Maybe he did something while under the influence? Pissed on the owners shoes? Showed up to a corporate event naked?

1 minute ago, Theo5789 said:

Maybe he did something while under the influence? Pissed on the owners shoes? Showed up to a corporate event naked?

that’s indecent exposure and pissing on someone would be considered assault.

Still does that warrant such an investigation? It would be pretty clear evidence that wouldnt need any real investigation.

Not allowed to practice or play? Takes a few days of investigation? Alcohol involved? Women around? No sexual assault? Nothing criminal?

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The Hawks could be trying to protect the identity of someone in their organization who doesn't want to become the centre of a media crap storm. 

I know, it would be a first for them to back the right person, but I can see a person not wanting to be an international story because some old player creeped on you.

They don't want to tell the story... if there is a story, it will likely come out at some stage... thing always does. 

As for Bedard, they did the right tjing in killing the story instantly, or almost instantly. They can ill afford another scandal anyway. 

34 minutes ago, Theo5789 said:

This reeks of a standard carefully crafted statement by his agent and counsel.  It is worth nothing frankly.

”After the fact” suggestions of substance abuse don’t hold water, especially since he wasn’t placed in the NHLPA assistance program (which would mean he couldn’t have his contract terminated).

It holds no more water than his agent’s last statement of Perry deciding to take time off for “personal reasons” when he was in fact suspended by the team.

Take an in person presser and make yourself actually accountable if you want to make an apology.  Don’t have your lawyers do it in a letter.

25 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Doesnt add up. Why wasnt he sent to the NHL player assistance program? 

Chicago fucked this whole situation up harder than Perry fucked that mom

This is what wrong with society today. Always making up assumptions.

How do you know he wasn’t asked to go the the player’s assistance program? The team could’ve asked him to seek help, after the incident and he could’ve refused. That’s more than enough to terminate his contract.

42 minutes ago, Provost said:

This reeks of a standard carefully crafted statement by his agent and counsel.  It is worth nothing frankly.

”After the fact” suggestions of substance abuse don’t hold water, especially since he wasn’t placed in the NHLPA assistance program (which would mean he couldn’t have his contract terminated).

It holds no more water than his agent’s last statement of Perry deciding to take time off for “personal reasons” when he was in fact suspended by the team.

Take an in person presser and make yourself actually accountable if you want to make an apology.  Don’t have your lawyers do it in a letter.

I agree, it's pretty empty. Call me negative, but I'm not buying it. Pure speculation butl I doubt he is being let go because he just had one too many again. I'm guessing he crossed the line with someone and to cover himself, and help defend it to his family, has blamed it on alcohol or alcohol abuse. Not my style, but if a guys family unit is in possible shambles, a man can be capable of a lot of squirming to save it.

Edited by Rekker
  • Vintage 1

So from his statement and the Blackhawks, it doesn't appear to involve Connor's mom thank gawd. 

Its still unknown what the actual "crime" was. Involving alcohol is all we know.

Any other team organization would probably get a bigger pass on keeping this all hush hush. But with the Hawks they are already playing with a handicap. They should be forthcoming with at least a general accusation of some kind, if its as they say...just some work related incident. Its got to be more than getting pissed and trashing an office.

It could be kept quiet because it involves Chelios's daughter and it would be embarrassing for her too. Wouldn't keeping it all secret just make speculation worse though?

31 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I agree, it's pretty empty. Call me  negative, but I'm not buying it. Pure speculation butl I doubt he is being let go because he just had one too many again. I'm guessing he crossed the line with someone and to cover himself, and help defend it to his family, has blamed it on alcohol or alcohol abuse. Not my style, but if his family unit is in possible shambles, a man can be capable of a lot.

That's the way I'm reading it too.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Hopefully he gets the help he needs . I'm also wondering if there's stuff he did in the first 18 years of his career that related to this but never surfaced.

Sounds like he got drunk and was making passes at Chelios's daugher who works for the Blackhawks. In any organization this would be "Cause" for firing and all of this adds up given the statement and rumours (and the fact the players are all still upset he's gone, so it clearly wasn't Bedard's mom etc)....

Funny think what too much booze can do....unfortunate for all involved and hopefully he addresses it.