[Report] Blackhawks' Perry misses practice after scratch for 'organizational decision'

RWJC

Darn, it's what he didn't say.

He said it didn't involve teammates or thier families.

Yet, he did not expand that to the organisation or their families. 

Damn thing is gonna continue but Mrs Bedard is off the hook, and the new front runner is Chelios' daughter. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So from his statement and the Blackhawks, it doesn't appear to involve Connor's mom thank gawd. 

Its still unknown what the actual "crime" was. Involving alcohol is all we know.

Any other team organization would probably get a bigger pass on keeping this all hush hush. But with the Hawks they are already playing with a handicap. They should be forthcoming with at least a general accusation of some kind, if its as they say...just some work related incident. Its got to be more than getting pissed and trashing an office.

It could be kept quiet because it involves Chelios's daughter and it would be embarrassing for her too. Wouldn't keeping it all secret just make speculation worse though?

Getting drunk and harassing a co-worker is enough to get fired. Sounds like this was the case. If he slept with her and it was consensual no one would have heard a peep. This seems more like he was drunk and was bothering her enough that she reported it. Given the Blackhawks history, they weren't going to allow this to be quietly dealt with, as no organization should....unfortunate what booze can do. Feel for his wife...can't imagine how she feels.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, billydakid said:

Getting drunk and harassing a co-worker is enough to get fired. Sounds like this was the case. If he slept with her and it was consensual no one would have heard a peep. This seems more like he was drunk and was bothering her enough that she reported it. Given the Blackhawks history, they weren't going to allow this to be quietly dealt with, as no organization should....unfortunate what booze can do. Feel for his wife...can't imagine how she feels.

You may be right.  But its all still conjecture.  If folks are allowed to just guess....some will say its even worse than that.  Just seems dumb not to just be forthright with it.  But the Hawks don't have much of a history of that.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

This is what wrong with society today. Always making up assumptions.

How do you know he wasn’t asked to go the the player’s assistance program? The team could’ve asked him to seek help, after the incident and he could’ve refused. That’s more than enough to terminate his contract.

That would have been made clear instantly. 
Spencer Knight most recently.

Also if this were the case this wouldnt be an investigation leading to termination. This would be an investigation leading to a trip to the assistance program. You dont fire people who have issues and need help, you get them help.

• Upvote 1

• Miss Korea changed the title to [Report] Corey Perry's contract has been terminated
1 hour ago, Provost said:

This reeks of a standard carefully crafted statement by his agent and counsel.  It is worth nothing frankly.

”After the fact” suggestions of substance abuse don’t hold water, especially since he wasn’t placed in the NHLPA assistance program (which would mean he couldn’t have his contract terminated).

It holds no more water than his agent’s last statement of Perry deciding to take time off for “personal reasons” when he was in fact suspended by the team.

Take an in person presser and make yourself actually accountable if you want to make an apology.  Don’t have your lawyers do it in a letter.

He does not need to make a public apology unless his intent is to play hockey again in the immediate future.  If you think he will and should come back from this, then yes.  He will have to inevitably face the music.  That's unavoidable.  More likely, it's a disgraceful end to an illustrious career.

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

I agree, it's pretty empty. Call me negative, but I'm not buying it. Pure speculation butl I doubt he is being let go because he just had one too many again. I'm guessing he crossed the line with someone and to cover himself, and help defend it to his family, has blamed it on alcohol or alcohol abuse. Not my style, but if a guys family unit is in possible shambles, a man can be capable of a lot of squirming to save it.

40 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's the way I'm reading it too.

Alcohol abuse is alcohol abuse.  He got fired for it.  Not sure what you guys want him to do at this point.  Publicly humiliating him isn't going to do anything.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

He does not need to make a public apology unless his intent is to play hockey again in the immediate future.  If you think he will and should come back from this, then yes.  He will have to inevitably face the music.  That's unavoidable.  More likely, it's a disgraceful end to an illustrious career.

Alcohol abuse is alcohol abuse.  He got fired for it.  Not sure what you guys want him to do at this point.  Publicly humiliating him isn't going to do anything.

A substance abuse issue results in the assistance program… not contract termination.  They have a full negotiated process around this with the union.

If he doesn’t want to apologize, don’t apologize.  No need for your agent to make up a fake apology statement.  We are allowed to make what we will of public statements he makes.

The agent already lied about this situation once, no reason to take what he puts out as gospel.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, coquitlamdave said:

So is the current "truth" that the Blackhawks terminated his contract because he has an alcohol addiction?  This is worse then before in my opinion

no, you're connecting dots that don't connect. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

A substance abuse issue results in the assistance program… not contract termination.  They have a full negotiated process around this with the union.

If he doesn’t want to apologize, don’t apologize.  No need for your agent to make up a fake apology statement.  We are allowed to make what we will of public statements he makes.

The agent already lied about this situation once, no reason to take what he puts out as gospel.

I mean, I don't even know how or who or where he'd be making this public apology.  He won't do it at a Blackhawks presser.  TSN?  Chiclets???  Right now, there's just no point of him going out there.  It doesn't improve his current situation in any capacity.

That's all I'm saying.  

1 hour ago, Provost said:

well he didn't say that sunstance abuse was the issue, just that it contributed to the situation and he needs to seek help.  He was fired for whatever happened when he was drunk, not because he was drunk

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, stawns said:

well he didn't say that sunstance abuse was the issue, just that it contributed to the situation and he needs to seek help.  He was fired for whatever happened when he was drunk, not because he was drunk

He did say he is working with experts in the substance abuse field to discuss his struggles with alcohol. Sounds like you are splitting hairs, weird he would not use the resources available to him through the NHLPA if that is the case.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He did say he is working with experts in the substance abuse field to discuss his struggles with alcohol. Sounds like you are splitting hairs, weird he would not use the resources available to him through the NHLPA if that is the case.  

Yup. If the incident was a fight wouldn’t the police be involved? Lots missing from this story. That Avs player had a hooker almost die in his hotel room from a drug/alcohol thing during the playoffs and he wasn’t terminated. Seems like this termination clause is dealt with differently depending on the player. Perry did someone while drunk. Sounds like he’s drunk a lot. Seems like that is a guy who should be in the drug program. 

23 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

“It’s just a bunch of BS on the internet. It’s of course been an affect on myself and my family, and that’s not fair. But it’s out of our control. It’s all just fake, made-up stuff.”

I saw footage of this and I was impressed with the way Connor handled it. He categorically denied anything happened, (calling it "BS" as the tweet above shows) but then he got annoyed with the reporters who kept digging at that angle...

It was something along the lines of "That's that last I want to talk about this"....but the way he said it was clearly "STFU about this shit"....

Worthy of the Wisers Clap, IMO....

• Cheers 2