Myers… does he get traded?

Strawbone

I think Myers will stay with the team and be a useful player this year in a lesser role. Every once in a while he throws a huge hit like the one on Duncan Keith, and that alone is enough for me to want to see him stick around and finish his Canucks career with a bit of a redemption story. 

• Upvote 1

No, I can’t see any reasonable demand. There aren’t any teams struggling to get to the floor, and seems like there’s less cap space than ever.

I think that rumoured SJS trade was an alternative to the OEL buyout, that didn’t materialize.

Think @John McClane nailed it above….it will take a few major injuries for other teams to look at Myers, or our wingers for that matter

• Cheers 1

Honestly, why trade him right now? I think we finally have him in a perfect spot. Not having him as our top RD will reduce his minutes and get him back to playing a simpler game. I think he will thrive.

The only way I see him getting traded to start the season is if Woo comes in and blows down the door and forces management to make a move. And even then they probably keep Woo on the big club and have Juulsen play in the AHL or as a 7th Dman.

If we aren't in the playoff race by TDL then Myers is as good as gone. And I don't think trading him now or later will diminish his value at all. If anything, if he has a solid season we could get more for him later on as he's coming off a down season anyways.

I say keep the giraffe and let it all play out. No reason to make a move now.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

My bet would be no, I think it is less likely that he gets moved than a trade option drops in our laps.

Virtually no teams in the league can fit him under their cap at the moment.  Even Anaheim would be tight once they finish their own signings.

That effectively eliminates the “hey let’s just waive him to get past his NTC” way of thinking.  

It leaves a trade where we take a fairly hefty contract back in the $4 million range, or retaining a bunch of salary.  That is complicated with his trade protection.  His family is here in the offseason, so one can easily envision a scenario where he picked his NTC teams as basically all the ones that could possibly think of trading for him.

Not a lot of trades I can see that make us better in the short term than having him as a 3rd pairing D.  I don’t see any trades that make us better in the long term either.

That reported San Jose trade was pretty terrible, so if that is our sort of option; then “meh”

I am guessing we find a taker for one of Garland, Pearson, or Beauvillier and take a modest $2 million “ish” contract back.

We have Mikheyev on injury reserve which buys some time.  Some team with playoff hopes is probably going to lose a player long term in the pre-season and be looking for some help.

Yeah Kevin Labanc or something like that...Myers has way more value than a speedy winger...we got lots of those!

42 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Honestly, why trade him right now? I think we finally have him in a perfect spot. Not having him as our top RD will reduce his minutes and get him back to playing a simpler game. I think he will thrive.

The only way I see him getting traded to start the season is if Woo comes in and blows down the door and forces management to make a move. And even then they probably keep Woo on the big club and have Juulsen play in the AHL or as a 7th Dman.

If we aren't in the playoff race by TDL then Myers is as good as gone. And I don't think trading him now or later will diminish his value at all. If anything, if he has a solid season we could get more for him later on as he's coming off a down season anyways.

I say keep the giraffe and let it all play out. No reason to make a move now.

Yes this is what his major issue was during his tenure here. He is not a top 4 and he has more offense then defense in his game. He was put in to be a shut down guy, not him at all. I think he would be fine in the third pairing with a more defensive minded partner. 

I would rather have him in that position come playoff time where the possibilty of more game changing Duncan Keith hits exist.

Bear would be fine there too but I like Myers with the big body in the playoffs. If he signs back at a reasonable rate, he would be fine.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

The fact that he’s playing for a new contract is a good point. It wouldn’t be the first time a player in a contract year magically finds another level of play.

Yeah it would be great if he has a Horvat like last season and we trade him for a B+ prospect and a first.

Stick him on the third pairing with someone who can be reliable in his own end to allow Myers to take occasional risks without getting burned, and he might be alright. He's not awful, just needs to be insulated against his warts and make about half as much money. 

• Upvote 1