Myers… does he get traded?

Strawbone

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Same thing I saw with guys on facebook commenting this dude said trade Myers for a 6th then trade one of our garbage middling wingers for a d replacement. 

He was baffled when I asked how you get an upgrade on Myers by only offering “garbage wingers” 🤣

Teams ain't gonna give us their good players for free most of the time, or their guys with potential 

Gotta give to get, Myers at a 6M cap hit isn't a great give even if he'd glossed over more at a lower cap hit 

Myers could likely have value to someone at a smaller cap hit, problem is his cap hit ain't small 

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I don’t think a lot of teams know how bad he is because they don’t see him play all the time like we do. He literally will cost the team a goal a game. 

If we retained a couple mill, I would hope a team would bite and we wouldn’t have to eat similar Cap. You’re right though, we can’t send out more assets.

Other teams pay pro scouting staff too, any team considering Myers likely knows exactly what he is 

Other teams probably watch us play more regularly than we realize 

You don't have to be in an arena in a scouting seat to watch

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Wolanin maybe, but no way Woo is anywhere near opening roster. 

Probably not. That helps make my point though. Our right side depth is our weakest position right now. That's why I believe that unless we have a replacement lined up already, I doubt we trade Myers.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Are people who are saying we will likely trade Myers at the deadline just assuming we won't be in a playoff race by then?

3 hours ago, Provost said:

He isn't trash, he isn't a top 4 shutdown D man.  That was the same in his previous teams as well, the book on him was that if you asked him to do too much he fell apart.

As a 3rd pairing D with a defensive oriented partner, he should be really good.  Not worth $6 million a year, but a huge upgrade on the other options who are all fringe NHLers.  If we have a 3rd pairing or Irwin-Myers, that would be the best 3rd pairing we have had for a very long time.

While I agree with your 2nd post there that he's certainly not the trash some folks seem to feel he is, we're still in no position as an org, to give free up assets, for expiring players we have no intention on retaining. So long as we actually get something half decent offered for trading him closer to the TDL (or sooner), I fully expect he will be gone in that scenario. Whether someone actually, eventually offers something of value, is a whole other discussion. If they don't, we most certainly will see him simply walk as a UFA.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Probably not. That helps make my point though. Our right side depth is our weakest position right now. That's why I believe that unless we have a replacement lined up already, I doubt we trade Myers.

Between the eventual return of Bear, seeing how Woo/Juulsen/Johansson do, and unsigned guys like Pysyk out there on PTOs, I'm confident we could replace 3rd pair D depth by committee, even with injuries. Bonus points if moving Myers also frees up cap/roster space to add a Pesce, Peeke, Lyubushkin etc

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While I agree with your 2nd post there that he's certainly not the trash some folks seem to feel he is, we're still in no position as an org, to give free up assets, for expiring players we have no intention on retaining. So long as we actually get something half decent offered for trading him closer to the TDL (or sooner), I fully expect he will be gone in that scenario. Whether someone actually, eventually offers something of value, is a whole other discussion. If they don't, we most certainly will see him simply walk as a UFA.

Between the eventual return of Bear, seeing how Woo/Juulsen/Johansson do, and unsigned guys like Pysyk out there on PTOs, I'm confident we could replace 3rd pair D depth by committee, even with injuries. Bonus points if moving Myers also frees up cap/roster space to add a Pesce, Peeke, Lyubushkin etc

I'm not sure why so many people seem to think re-signing Bear is a forgone conclusion.  He's a UFA and if another team comes knocking there's nothing preventing him from signing elsewhere 

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

I'm not sure why so many people seem to think re-signing Bear is a forgone conclusion.  He's a UFA and if another team comes knocking there's nothing preventing him from signing elsewhere 

He's rehabbing and has expressed interest in re-signing. 

I think it's best just to ride the contract out. Heck, depending on how he plays, I wouldn't even mind a small 1-year deal for next year if it's cheap enough. Not a top 4 guy, but he's great for bottom pairing.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He's rehabbing and has expressed interest in re-signing. 

So what?  He's keeping his options open on a possible nhl job.  I'd do the same thing.  But if he gets healthy and gets a good offer I bet he jumps at it regardless of how he feels about the Canucks.  Schenn expressed interest in returning to the Canucks too. Now he's singing the praises of the Leafs 

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

So what?  He's keeping his options open on a possible nhl job.  I'd do the same thing.  But if he gets healthy and gets a good offer I bet he jumps at it regardless of how he feels about the Canucks.  Schenn expressed interest in returning to the Canucks too. Now he's singing the praises of the Leafs 

I'd not be surprised if he/his agent and the team largely already have something worked out in principal. No one's saying it's impossible he signs somewhere else, but I think it's fairly likely he's a Canuck at some point this year.

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I'd not be surprised if he/his agent and the team largely already have something worked out in principal. No one's saying it's impossible he signs somewhere else, but I think it's fairly likely he's a Canuck at some point this year.

Honestly if it was me I'd resent the hell out of the team for not qualifying me after an injury. I'd say all the right things and keep my options open for any return to the show. But if I got two similar offers I'd take the one from. The team that didn't actively screw me over 

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Honestly if it was me I'd resent the hell out of the team for not qualifying me after an injury. I'd say all the right things and keep my options open for any return to the show. But if I got two similar offers I'd take the one from. The team that didn't actively screw me over 

Nobody screwed him over, that's silly.

IMO he wasn't worth his QO BEFORE he got hurt.

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

We'll see what happens. But I'd be more surprised to see him return than seeing him sign elsewhere 

From one month ago, LONG after not qualifying him.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/ethan-bear-love-come-back-vancouver-canucks

On Wednesday, Ethan Bear spoke with Patrick Johnston of The Province in an exclusive interview, the defenceman’s first with local media since he became an unrestricted free agent on July 1st. As of August 3rd, Bear remains unsigned.

This obviously leaves the door open for a return to the Vancouver Canucks, something Bear says he’s more than open to.

I would love to come back to the Canucks. I would love to. But that’s how the business goes. I was talking with Patrik (Allvin) and he told me himself ‘we have to clear some cap space,” Bear told Postmedia.

Bear added that he sees his situation as “a blessing, not a curse” as he now gets ample time to fully rest up and completely heal from the shoulder issue he’s been playing through for years now. While playing for Team Canada at the IIHF World Championship, Bear reaggravated the injury to the point where surgery was deemed the best course of action.

Yup, he sure sounds pissed...🙄

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

From one month ago, LONG after not qualifying him.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/ethan-bear-love-come-back-vancouver-canucks

Yup, he sure sounds pissed...🙄

Again. Saying the right things and keeping his options open.  Why would a fringe guy burn a bridge when there's still a potential job available. What he thinks and says in private  may be totally different 

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we move Myers without an actual RHD replacement in place, then we put ourselves behind the 8 ball. We would be putting ourselves in a position of weakness and would possibly have to overpay to replace him after the fact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Again. Saying the right things and keeping his options open.  Why would a fringe guy burn a bridge when there's still a potential job available. What he thinks and says in private  may be totally different 

Or...he might genuinely be happy to come back to the team he asked to be traded to, just as he's actually saying, in actual quotes.

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

If we move Myers without an actual RHD replacement in place, then we put ourselves behind the 8 ball. We would be putting ourselves in a position of weakness and would possibly have to overpay to replace him after the fact.

I'd imagine they'd have something lined up yes, hence my points about guys like Pysyk and Bear, or trades for Pesce, Peeke, Lyubushkin etc.

bear is basically a de facto done deal trade deadline acquisition. he wants to be in van, management openly viewed him as a core piece as recently as the end of the season, both sides want it, it will happen. I'd be shocked to see him elsewhere. 

Just now, tas said:

bear is basically a de facto done deal trade deadline acquisition. he wants to be in van, management openly viewed him as a core piece as recently as the end of the season, both sides want it, it will happen. I'd be shocked to see him elsewhere. 

But he could sign somewhere else! 🤣

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Are you saying there's no possibility he'll sign elsewhere? 

of course there's a possibility. there's a possibility I could get into really good shape, learn to skate, and make the team out of camp.

it's just not a possibility worth worrying about. 

• Haha 1

Just now, tas said:

of course there's a possibility. there's a possibility I could get into really good shape, learn to skate, and make the team out of camp.

it's just not a possibility worth worrying about. 

Just like Matthews was definitely bolting for Arizona and PLD was definitely going to Montréal