Myers… does he get traded?

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It’s not if it’s when imo 

We may as well hang onto him unless an ideal senerio presents itself. We open up at home and then go immediately on the road for a 5 game swing. Difficult schedule to start and injuries arise. We need to trade a winger ideally before Mikeyev (assuming he starts on LTIR) returns.

I think Meyers is an NHL calibre player, and quite possibly a very effective one, if he's given the right role. He's not a defensive wizard and should not be playing any sort of shutdown minutes, but pair him up with a solid defence-first partner and let him create some scoring chances and havoc with his size and reach and he could have a good year.

• Cheers 1

Myers will be needed if we have aspirations to make the playoffs, which given what could be on the line this year (EPs extension, next deal), and the simple fact this core needs playoff reps very soon (next season at the absolute latest). 

The only realistic scenario that he gets traded, would be if the wheels fall off yet again, and we are out of the playoff picture close to the trade deadline.   Then maybe a deal can be made with us retaining 50% and a third party retaining 50% of the remainder.   

Given that after we traded Schenn, Tochett coached QHs, Myers and an AHL D .... for sure there is hope now that we have 5 legit NHL D's.   

As for "slow and immobile".   Myers hasn't lost much of his foot speed, he's not that slow.   Edler was slow the last season he played with us.   He's faster then that at least.    And has that wingspan.    Playing against teams lesser lines and not the top 80% in the league and off the PK should help him and our teams fortunes this season.    Actually expect to see a good showing from him, and when he's needed to move up the lineup, we will be glad it's him and not Woo or Julsen or someone else. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I doubt we trade him. We don't have enough NHL calibre right shooting d-men.

Juulsen or Woo might be on the opening roster. Then add inevitable injuries to that. 

Cole or Soucy will play the right side.   Like we had Schmidt and Benn do (both play either side).     The final spot will likely be a LHD.    Depth chart wise, Juulsen and Woo are way down.   Below Wolanin, Brisbois and Rathbone (the latter who really will have to impress to get another shot).    Hirose and Rathbone are unlikely candidates, size issues and Hirose underlying numbers were pretty bad.   Wolanin impressed me the most last season, from a terrific camp, a great AHL campaign and he didn't look out of place when he got his games.   Close with Brisbois, who has decent size and can also kill penalties, we could use some "Breezy" to settle things down.     Something you need your bottom six and pairing guys to help with to manage minutes.    

I'd love it if Woo comes out of the woodwork.   We could sure use that right about now.   That would be a major win for the club and us fans. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Many in the media were so confident he’d be traded once his bonus was paid.

Saying for months that wasn't going to happen.    Maybe if cap went up this summer, but it didn't and even then most teams have their own anchors they are dealing with, and wouldn't be hard for them to spend the extra 3-4 million (we all got one million, it was spent instantly) ... too many RFAs needing raises, not enough players retiring of going off their legacy deals.   Instead we saw buyouts.   I'm glad we didn't pay something we don't have to move him.    Like him or not, he's still an NHL defenseman.   And has intangibles teams need.    IF we make the playoffs, we will need his playoff temperament.    WNP was happy to have him when Byfuglien or Trouba went down,  that's also still relevant.   What we should be discussing, is whom replaces Myers next season.  Hope Woo can keep his rebound going.    Most second rounders get handful of games at least, he's working towards that now.   Ideally we add another top four RHD somehow by unloading a winger.    If we can manage that and have Soucy Myers as our third pairing, we'd have very good odds of challenging for third in our division.  

There's no value anymore to pay to move him. So unless it opens cap space there's zero reason to move him, assuming it doesn't cost us losing Woo on waivers. 

ANA should be interested for some minimal return, or maybe Lyubi back our way? not sure thats even worth it, since Myers should be pretty motived and much better coached this year. 

Maybe keep him and flip him, or "own rental" if we have a major injury. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Cole or Soucy will play the right side.   Like we had Schmidt and Benn do (both play either side).     The final spot will likely be a LHD.    Depth chart wise, Juulsen and Woo are way down.   Below Wolanin, Brisbois and Rathbone (the latter who really will have to impress to get another shot).    Hirose and Rathbone are unlikely candidates, size issues and Hirose underlying numbers were pretty bad.   Wolanin impressed me the most last season, from a terrific camp, a great AHL campaign and he didn't look out of place when he got his games.   Close with Brisbois, who has decent size and can also kill penalties, we could use some "Breezy" to settle things down.     Something you need your bottom six and pairing guys to help with to manage minutes.    

I'd love it if Woo comes out of the woodwork.   We could sure use that right about now.   That would be a major win for the club and us fans. 

Agree that Woo isn't ready, but Juulsen improved a lot in his small sample size and looked good. I'd put the right side depth at the following:

Hronek

Myers

Juulsen

McWard

Woo/Johansson

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

I see Cole playing the main matchup role with Hronek and I see Soucy as a 3rd pairing guy with Myers. I think Myers will play some minutes each game to ease the load of whoever plays with Hughes. I also think we re-sign Bear right before the season to max the LTIR.

A lot of the fans depth charts seem to be based on popularity. A couple of years ago, right before I took a hiatus, I stated that I didn't think that Rathbone was ready. Some even said that he could replace Quinn. Now everyone who supported him back then has written him off. Wolanin and Brisboise appear ready and I think Rathbone is close finally.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

There's no value anymore to pay to move him. So unless it opens cap space there's zero reason to move him, assuming it doesn't cost us losing Woo on waivers. 

ANA should be interested for some minimal return, or maybe Lyubi back our way? not sure thats even worth it, since Myers should be pretty motived and much better coached this year. 

Maybe keep him and flip him, or "own rental" if we have a major injury. 

There are some teams with decent young d-men who will be put on waivers. I think that we should put our guys on waivers a little early so we can claim another D-man if one of our guys gets claimed.

Our d-men had very little support in the old system. Once we collapsed down the d-men were left on an island. The forwards would puck watch and lose their man leading to wide open chances. Because we were in the defensive zone, it was the defencmen's fault to many fans and media members.

Our defencemen don't magically get better once they go to another team. That seems to be another common theme. They just got to play in a better defensive system with more structure. I am curious to see how he performs in a more structured system with better puck support.

Many fans never gave Myers a chance and were against him from the start. Remember when everyone wanted Risto. All the Risto fans turned on him from the start. They wanted Risto and got Myers.

• Vintage 1

If i am the owner, we won't trade him until near the deadline, if at all. 

If I am the front office in a cap crunch: he is out of here. 

is he a player that is worth a few million a year in the NHL? Absolutely, but is he worth a 6m cap hit during a crunch? no.

4 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

How much would we save on our cap?

That's probably the biggest consideration.

Not if making the playoffs is the main goal this season. We have more depth at forward and in net than on the blueline. He has played 20 minutes a night and we would not only have to replace that but we would be getting into our younger D depth with injuries. Management has to take that into consideration as well.

Unless we have a guaranteed deal for a replacement, I don't see Allvin and co. taking the chance on the depletion of our D group leading to losses. If we could cut back Myers time, he would be an imposing pairing with Soucy.

3 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

There are some teams with decent young d-men who will be put on waivers. I think that we should put our guys on waivers a little early so we can claim another D-man if one of our guys gets claimed.

Our d-men had very little support in the old system. Once we collapsed down the d-men were left on an island. The forwards would puck watch and lose their man leading to wide open chances. Because we were in the defensive zone, it was the defencmen's fault to many fans and media members.

Our defencemen don't magically get better once they go to another team. That seems to be another common theme. They just got to play in a better defensive system with more structure. I am curious to see how he performs in a more structured system with better puck support.

Many fans never gave Myers a chance and were against him from the start. Remember when everyone wanted Risto. All the Risto fans turned on him from the start. They wanted Risto and got Myers.

for me its just not wanting us to bleed a still - imo anyway - prospect with potential, and one on the right side d. If it was a F I'd be less concerned. 

I do also think Myers will have a better year, both from coaching and it being his last chance to earn another decent contract.