Myers… does he get traded?

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not if you sign a guy like Bear/Pysyk...pluck a solid young guy off waivers, or make a trade for a Pese/Peeke/Lyubushkin etc, etc, etc....

wall-talking.gif

You don't need to be scared about losing Myers 😂

big-hero6-its-okay.gif

You seem to be the one taking it very personally. You may be projecting yourself if we keep him.

I'm trying to look at it from managements perspective. I have no personal ties to Myers. You, on the other hand, seem desperate to get rid of him.

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

You seem to be the one taking it very personally. You may be projecting yourself if we keep him.

I'm trying to look at it from managements perspective. I have no personal ties to Myers. You, on the other hand, seem desperate to get rid of him.

Nope. He's gone, one way or another after this year 😉 But if we can clear cap and/or improve roster composition (speaking of managements perspective) by moving him in season, I have zero issue with it, should it occur. There's certainly no boogeyman to be afraid of by "losing" him. Particularly if it happens as Bear gets healthy.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope. He's gone, one way or another after this year 😉 But if we can clear cap and/or improve roster composition (speaking of managements perspective) by moving him in season, I have zero issue with it, should it occur. There's certainly no boogeyman to be afraid of by "losing" him. Particularly if it happens as Bear gets healthy.

I'll post this again. "That's why I believe that unless we have a replacement lined up already, I doubt we trade Myers."

This was the post that you quoted. I don't know how you twisted that into I'm afraid to lose Myers. You did the old i said that but I meant this routine, then you resorted to a condescending gif. But yeah, level-headed poster. No emotional investment in moving Myers. Okay.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

I'll post this again. "That's why I believe that unless we have a replacement lined up already, I doubt we trade Myers."

This was the post that you quoted. I don't know how you twisted that into I'm afraid to lose Myers. You did the old i said that but I meant this routine, then you resorted to a condescending gif. But yeah, level-headed poster. No emotional investment in moving Myers. Okay.

Lol, if you can't handle discussion on a discussion board.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lining up replacements = easy. Again, entirely my point. There's zero reasons to not move Myers if the opportunity arises.

Just now, aGENT said:

Lol, if you can't handle discussion on a discussion board.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lining up replacements = easy. Again, entirely my point. There's zero reasons to not move Myers if the opportunity arises.

I'm not the one who changed my stance midstream. Nor am I the one who resorted to an immature gif.

You're the one who doesn't seem to be able to handle a discussion.

10 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm not the one who changed my stance midstream. Nor am I the one who resorted to an immature gif.

You're the one who doesn't seem to be able to handle a discussion.

Didn't change my stance. *Funny gif. You seem like you'd be fun at parties.

• Huggy Bear 1

Wonder if Arizona would have interest in Myers?

Just looking at their roster, they only have two defencemen over 6’0” and 200 lbs, in Josh Brown (~15 minutes per game last season) and Juuso Välimäki (~18 minutes per game last season).

And obviously they have the cap space. They’re currently around $5 under, and that’s with them carrying $20 million+ in cap hits for players who are basically retired (and can go on LTIR).

Myers, at a $6M hit, but just $1M in real money, would be right up their alley.

And maybe even a player they’d want for their roster?

If Arizona took on Myers, and sent a player on minimal salary back, it would set them up for a near perfect capture on their LTIR, giving them over $20M in cap space for the season (and at the deadline).

Or maybe even do a hockey trade, of sorts? Might sound crazy, but what about Myers + for Dumba? Saves Arizona $2.9M in cash, while creating $2.1M cap space for Vancouver (which fixes our issues, plus a few 100K extra wiggle room). I don’t know if they’d move Dumba right after signing him as a UFA. But at the same time, there’s probably not much loyalty on either side, since Dumba is on a one-year “show me” deal and going back on the market after this season. If the Coyotes like Myers, they could probably pencil him into the same role they envisioned for Dumba (veteran, high minute, RHD) while also adding quite a bit of size to their defence. From a Canucks perspective, I think Dumba for Myers offers some intriguing lineup possibilities, while getting us out of our cap situation. Wondering what level of sweetener the Canucks would need to add?

2 minutes ago, SISMIM said:

Wonder if Arizona would have interest in Myers?

Just looking at their roster, they only have two defencemen over 6’0” and 200 lbs, in Josh Brown (~15 minutes per game last season) and Juuso Välimäki (~18 minutes per game last season).

And obviously they have the cap space. They’re currently around $5 under, and that’s with them carrying $20 million+ in cap hits for players who are basically retired (and can go on LTIR).

Myers, at a $6M hit, but just $1M in real money, would be right up their alley.

And maybe even a player they’d want for their roster?

If Arizona took on Myers, and sent a player on minimal salary back, it would set them up for a near perfect capture on their LTIR, giving them over $20M in cap space for the season (and at the deadline).

Or maybe even do a hockey trade, of sorts? Might sound crazy, but what about Myers + for Dumba? Saves Arizona $2.9M in cash, while creating $2.1M cap space for Vancouver (which fixes our issues, plus a few 100K extra wiggle room). I don’t know if they’d move Dumba right after signing him as a UFA. But at the same time, there’s probably not much loyalty on either side, since Dumba is on a one-year “show me” deal and going back on the market after this season. If the Coyotes like Myers, they could probably pencil him into the same role they envisioned for Dumba (veteran, high minute, RHD) while also adding quite a bit of size to their defence. From a Canucks perspective, I think Dumba for Myers offers some intriguing lineup possibilities, while getting us out of our cap situation. Wondering what level of sweetener the Canucks would need to add?

You don’t think Arizona is on the NTC list for Myers?

Presumably he is going to have the bottom feeders on his No trade list. If they want to move him, they need to do it to a team that has a chance at the playoffs.

Edited by Provost

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

You don’t think Arizona is on the NTC for Myers?

I mean, probably? But you never know.

Arizona is closer to Texas than most teams (even though Myers now lives in BC year round, with his off-season home in Kelowna IIRC). But maybe playing closer to his family in Texas is an option?

Probably he’s got the 10 teams with the most cap space on his list (which would include Arizona), since he likely doesn’t want to move.

Yes, I believe he gets traded, unless Woo, Johansson and Juulsen come up flat and don't prove that they are able to replace him. If they outplay him, then he gets moved before final roster is submitted unless we have other injuries on the right side.

If they don't outplay him, then they get until the deadline to improve and show that they can take his spot....

1 hour ago, gwarrior said:

Myers has a 10 team no trade list. And any team that could take his cap hit, is probably on that list. Moving him before the deadline, I don't see it happening. But stranger things have happened.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

You don’t think Arizona is on the NTC list for Myers?

Presumably he is going to have the bottom feeders on his No trade list. If they want to move him, they need to do it to a team that has a chance at the playoffs.

Assuming the Canucks could actually find a taker, If he won't play ball with his trade clause to bottom teams, we always have waivers as an option.

As much as I hate to see a 3rd pair D-man making $6M, I think that’s where he would excel. You can’t play a guy based on his salary, you play based on ability. Do not give him big minutes and tough match-ups because that has not gone well in recent years. Let him feast on weaker opposition while he plays for a new contract, and he might just have a great season.

If Alvin pulls off a trade, clears  cap, and replaces him with a better player without giving up a high draft pack, I’ll consider it a minor miracle. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Assuming the Canucks could actually find a taker, If he won't play ball with his trade clause to bottom teams, we always have waivers as an option.

We don’t… because no one is in a position to need him, and almost no one could afford to take him even if they wanted to.

Only four teams in the league currently even have the cap space to fit him.  They can garner assets for taking on cap… why would they eat $6 million for nothing?

The chance of moving Myers would be in a trade taking almost as much back in cap.  The money just doesn’t work otherwise.

It they thought they could move Myers on waivers, they would have tried before spending a pick to get rid of Pearson.

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

We don’t… because no one is in a position to need him, and almost no one could afford to take him even if they wanted to.

Only four teams in the league currently even have the cap space to fit him.  They can garner assets for taking on cap… why would they eat $6 million for nothing?

The chance of moving Myers would be in a trade taking almost as much back in cap.  The money just doesn’t work otherwise.

It they thought they could move Myers on waivers, they would have tried before spending a pick to get rid of Pearson.

Who said it would be for nothing? Make a separate trade with the agreement they take him on waivers. Voila, Myers "traded" wherever the F we want.

6 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Tongue What GIF by San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance

He looks rather hungry, even desperate.

Seriously; if he was five years younger in this NHL today, I wouldn't hesitate. He's so set in his ways. Defense, offence. Has a tendency to use those big arms to hang on

and take holding penalties. He does bring a level of toughness that this team doesn't have enough of though.

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

He looks rather hungry, even desperate.

Seriously; if he was five years younger in this NHL today, I wouldn't hesitate. He's so set in his ways. Defense, offence. Has a tendency to use those big arms to hang on

and take holding penalties. He does bring a level of toughness that this team doesn't have enough of though.

yea and he has a tendency to lose track of the puck when it's in his skates lol. 

I wish Myers would just accept the Luke Schenn role and just be a steady shut down physical defenceman instead of trying to be a puck mover.

• Cheers 1