[Rumour] Flyers are open for business

HKSR

9 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

This has Edmonton written all over it. 

To Philly: Draisaitl + Bouchard

To Edm: Hart + Couturier + Sanheim

Blockbuster! Addresses the 2 biggest holes on Edmonton and Lets RNH move up to take Drais spot with McD. Philly gets their foundational 1C. 

Draisaitl seems a little on the older side if they're trying to build a strong foundation involving their youth

I think plenty of teams would be interested in Draisaitl but Philly probably isn't far enough along to be one of them

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Konecny R/L W, 26yrs, $5.5mx2

Imagine him alongside Pete. 

The Flyers are going full rebuild, so they will want young prospect or draft pics in return.  Nucks

would have to put together a trade that includes a cap that is close to Konecny's $5.5m. It would

likely be one of Kuzy/Beau/Garly + a 1st + ?

Kuzy/Beau   Pete    Konecny

Mik    JT   Brock

PDG/Josh   Suter   Garly

Hogs   Blue   Laffy

PDG/Josh

I would love Konecny, but man that would cost. At least a first and one of Will or Lek. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I would love Konecny, but man that would cost. At least a first and one of Will or Lek. 

If the Flyers get Kuzy and a first, I wouldn't add a what is essentially, another 1st.  I think a young

player like Aman should do, as he would likely make the Flyers team; he would be a good fit

for a rebuilding team.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Couturier, Farabee, Laughton, Deslauriers, Hart... All good players (respective roles).

We have no need for Hart... But I could think of a few forwards of ours I'd gladly send as cap back + futures for the first 3. Deslauriers shouldn't cost that much.

Edit: And I forgot Konecny as well lol

Deslauriers is an ingredient, that wouldn't cost much, that i'm hoping they'd look at.   Laughton too.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Flyers do seem to have a lot of Rick Tocchet type of players...

Scott Laughton 100%

I believe he was also a Canucks fan growing up because of sedins and kes

To VAN

Sanheim 6.25

Laughton 3

To PHI

Garland 4.9

Beauvellier 4.1

Podkolzin

2025 1st

Silovs

I don't love Sanheim but with cap going up, a good no.3 d man will be in the 5-6 range.

depends how much you like sanheim

I would keep Myers for now for r side depth this year 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Flyers do seem to have a lot of Rick Tocchet type of players...

It's the Flyers.   Like the Bruins, they are a brand.    And they stick to it.   Too bad, Vancouver didn't stick to their brand.  Which they built in the late 70's, and kept up until the early 2000's.   Even 5'8.75 QHs looks like a Boss in the old skate.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Scott Laughton 100%

I believe he was also a Canucks fan growing up because of sedins and kes

To VAN

Sanheim 6.25

Laughton 3

To PHI

Garland 4.9

Beauvellier 4.1

Podkolzin

2025 1st

Silovs

I don't love Sanheim but with cap going up, a good no.3 d man will be in the 5-6 range.

depends how much you like sanheim

I would keep Myers for now for r side depth this year 

If you're asking for Sanheim and Laughton while trying to simultaneously move Garland and Beau's cap out it's probably gonna cost more than Podz, what'll probs be a middling to later 1st, and Silovs. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

If you're asking for Sanheim and Laughton while trying to simultaneously move Garland and Beau's cap out it's probably gonna cost more than Podz, what'll probs be a middling to later 1st, and Silovs. 

if they can retain and flip Beau for a 3rd, and Garly actually fits their system and is productive then its pretty fair. 

Podz + 1st for Sanheim.

A 3rd, Garly for Laughton. Yeah maybe this side of it is a bit light. Maybe add in McDonough? 

Ok, here is a big swing.

Ristolainen is coming off injury.

He has spent his entire career with bad analytics but last year turned a corner and was one of the top defensive D in the league.

4 more years at $5.1 million.

Depending on if last year we was a fluke or not, you either get a legit mean, physical 2nd pairing defensive D… or you get a meaner Tyler Myers overpaid on the 3rd pairing for the next four years.  

How much faith do you have in Tocchet and Foote to keep the guy on track?

If you get Zadorov in the summer, you possibly have fixed your D and vastly increased the grit needed for the playoffs.

Definite risk/reward on a possible deal.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

if they can retain and flip Beau for a 3rd, and Garly actually fits their system and is productive then its pretty fair. 

Podz + 1st for Sanheim.

A 3rd, Garly for Laughton. Yeah maybe this side of it is a bit light. Maybe add in McDonough? 

You're assuming that the Flyers view Garland as positive value though, I'm not so sure. 

1st is likely to be middling, ideally late. But yeah, it's a 1st. I question the trade value of Podz tbh, he's young enough to still develop into something nice and there's something to be said about being patient with young players, but he really hasn't shown much thus far at the NHL level. His AHL numbers have been better this season, but overall I dunno. I think Philly would be asking for a better prospect, or more in general. Sanheim isn't going to come cheap, he's on pace for career season. 

I'm also not convinced that he's available, or that he'd even want to come here given his full NTC. This is the first season of his extension, one has to assume he was okay chilling in Philly as they turned things over. 

I'm pretty sure we'd have to pay for the favour of dumping Beau. 

I think it'd take more, Laughton has a 3M cap hit and put up 43 points last season. 10 points in 19 games thus far so he's on pace to hit similar numbers. Maybe bump the 3rd up to a 2nd. 

It doesn't sound like Philly is tearing things down, they want to solidify their young foundation. Sounds like more of a competitive retool, I don't think their better pieces are going to come cheap at all. They're also in the mix for a playoff spot at this point.

Philly being open for business sounds like "make us an offer but be prepared to pay". 

Edited by Coconuts

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ok, here is a big swing.

He has spent his entire career with bad analytics but last year turned a corner and was one of the top defensive D in the league.

Depending on if last year we was a fluke or not, you either get a legit mean, physical 2nd pairing defensive D… or you get a meaner Tyler Myers overpaid on the 3rd pairing for the next four years.  

If you get Zadorov in the summer, you possibly have fixed your D and vastly increased the grit needed for the playoffs.

I'd do it depending on the price.

Hughes and Hronek eat up so much time that Risto would be playing relatively sheltered minutes on the 2nd pair.  I could see him at 18 to 20min a night, which would likely mean he'd play more effective minutes.

We could probably move on from Cole for next season and like you said, grab Zadorov for $5M AAV.

Soucy and Friedman (or even re-signing Myers for cheap) could fill out the 3rd pair.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Ristolainen

Soucy-Myers

That would be a really nasty bottom 4 group to play against.

Edited by HKSR

42 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ok, here is a big swing.

They'd have to send back one of Garland/Beau to make it work, probably more on top imo, him and Garland have similar term so that'd probably make more sense 

If he could be had as a buy-low candidate, perhaps 

I'd probably avoid it, that term combined with the chance he reverts to being chaotic defensively makes it less palatable 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'd do it depending on the price.

Hughes and Hronek eat up so much time that Risto would be playing relatively sheltered minutes on the 2nd pair.  I could see him at 18 to 20min a night, which would likely mean he'd play more effective minutes.

We could probably move on from Cole for next season and like you said, grab Zadorov for $5M AAV.

Soucy and Friedman (or even re-signing Myers for cheap) could fill out the 3rd pair.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Ristolainen

Soucy-Myers

That would be a really nasty bottom 4 group to play against.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

They'd have to send back one of Garland/Beau to make it work, probably more on top imo, him and Garland have similar term so that'd probably make more sense 

If he could be had as a buy-low candidate, perhaps 

I'd probably avoid it, that term combined with the chance he reverts to being chaotic defensively makes it less palatable 

There is no question it is a risk.  The downside is you get out from under a bad Myers contract to just end up with another Myers… albeit meaner and $900k cheaper.

Up until last year i would say they were reasonably comparable players.  Both guys were expected to be top pairing, and just fall apart when given too much responsibility.  If you play them within their limitations you get a lot more out of them.

Risto dropped from a career of 23-26 minutes a night to 19 minutes a game last season and suddenly flourished.  The good news is that is what we would need him to be… even if he ended up paired with Hughes sometimes 5v5, he wouldn’t be on the PP and would be under 20 minutes still.

It would depend on how much the Flyers think last year was an anomaly.  Is it still a relatively “buy low” scenario?

Would it be something like:

Beauvilier (with a little retained to make the money work)

Garland

Protected 2025 1st or a couple 2nds

for

Ristolainen

Laughton

Really you are mostly paying to get rid of the cap hits going the other way.

To me that is fairly even return in terms of risk/reward.  If you get last year’s Risto locked up at a decent price tag his entire prime then that is a massive win at that return… you are throwing in upgrading Garland for Laughton at a cheaper price tag.

If you get Myers 2.0 you lose that deal and hurt your future competitiveness with dead cap and losing a 25-50% chance of getting a cheap ELC NHL calibre player from those picks.

If we make it a couple rounds in the playoffs, a late 1st isn’t likely to end up a guy who plays in the top half of your roster so maybe you don’t even need Risto to be excellent to make it a wash.

Edited by Provost