[Signing] Nils Aman - two year deal with Canucks

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

This management group was applauded for their work in Pittsburgh for building up the bottom six depth, and are doing the same great job here. Making it look easy compared to how JB struggled mightily with it.

It definitely is mirroring what Gillis did a bit. A number of core pieces in place, but completely rebuilt the bottom 6 and retooled the defense. This defense corps still needs a bit more work but the bottom 6 is certainly looking miles better and Aman looks he should be able to fill in for Blueger next year if we don't re-sign him (though I'd love to have both).

• Vintage 1

From Capfriendly:

image.png.65b7e4a854ad76c86ffd25102c39d25e.png

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator/nils-aman

Which would explain the rush to get him to sign his extension - to maximize the chances of him being able to be returned to Abby if needed.  Teams are less likely to roll the dice on him if he's a longer-term commitment (ie. 2.75 seasons instead of 0.75 seasons + RFA rights), though the flipside is his contract could also be seen as cost-controlled and worth risking a pickup on, depending on his performance moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

From Capfriendly:

Which would explain the rush to get him to sign his extension - to maximize the chances of him being able to be returned to Abby if needed.  Teams are less likely to roll the dice on him if he's a longer-term commitment (ie. 2.75 seasons instead of 0.75 seasons + RFA rights), though the flipside is his contract could also be seen as cost-controlled and worth risking a pickup on, depending on his performance moving forward.

If the team risks trying to send him down, I just don't see him going unclaimed. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

From Capfriendly:

Fat chance a 23 year old 6'2 defensively responsible center who puts up a point per game in the AHL clears. 

Signing him to a 2 year extension at an even lower cap hit than his ELC (50k above league min) that concludes with him still being an RFA is far from a deterrent.

Edited by Coryberg

5 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Fat chance a 23 year old 6'2 defensively responsible center who puts up a point per game in the AHL clears. 

Signing him to a 2 year extension at an even lower cap hit than his ELC (50k above league min) that concludes with him still being an RFA is far from a deterrent.

Playing him the 2 games was taking a chance in the first place.  When Suter comes back, the choice will

be to move Aman to the W, or not play him.   Sadly, a young guy like Aman requires +++hockey in order

to continue his development.

• Cheers 1

On 11/24/2023 at 8:07 PM, Sophomore Jinx said:

Time after time, this management team keeps showing that they know wtf they are doing

To be fair after the disastrous benning era shit show, any other management team would look competent in comparison.

this is another tidy piece of business by management, Aman is a solid bottom 6 player 

50 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Playing him the 2 games was taking a chance in the first place.  When Suter comes back, the choice will

be to move Aman to the W, or not play him.   Sadly, a young guy like Aman requires +++hockey in order

I think it will be to move another body out (hopefully gaining one on the backend). 

• Upvote 1

We actually have quality bottom 6 guys that don't cost a fortune...

Aman, Suter, Blueger, Joshua, Hoglander, Lafferty...

We also have guys waiting for their opportunity -- Bains, Karlsson, Podkolzin, etc.

What we need to do is get out from Beauvillier's contract.  I suspect a TDL deal makes sense for that since he's a pending UFA. 

I like our top 6 too with Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Mikheyev, and surprisingly PDG works there. 

Garland can float up and and down the lineup.  You need guys that can do that, so I hope we don't trade him away.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't get it? The only way this makes sense is if PA thinks no NHL club will bite at a CAP hit of $825K? Either that or he is close to a trade.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't get it? The only way this makes sense is if PA thinks no NHL club will bite at a CAP hit of $825K? Either that or he is close to a trade.  

It is a puzzling move.  Unless they think Suter will be out for a much longer stint, it doesn't

make much sense.  I don't even see how they can bring Kuzy back without moving a player

off the current roster.  Something must be developing on the trade market.

• Like 2

This is a nice little insurance policy after we let Beau go and possibly trade Garland.  

It’s also going to be tough to keep both Joshua and Lafferty. 

Depth is going to be one of the hardest things to keep as Petey and Hronek come into bigger contracts, the OEL buyout starts to sting and we try to upgrade the back end.

Not to be a downer 😅 just pointing out that Aman could be worth that contract and more very soon as some spots open up.

Edited by The Duke
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think they intend to send Aman back down.

Aman will get his +++hockey in the NHL now.

16 hours ago, HKSR said:

We actually have quality bottom 6 guys that don't cost a fortune...

Aman, Suter, Blueger, Joshua, Hoglander, Lafferty...

We also have guys waiting for their opportunity -- Bains, Karlsson, Podkolzin, etc.

What we need to do is get out from Beauvillier's contract.  I suspect a TDL deal makes sense for that since he's a pending UFA. 

I like our top 6 too with Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Mikheyev, and surprisingly PDG works there. 

Garland can float up and and down the lineup.  You need guys that can do that, so I hope we don't trade him away.

Yes to almost all of this, but PDG is a scratch and may have had his moment on the top lines; I suspect he is still hurting, he's been taking a beating.

Personally, I would really like to see Höglander moved up. 

Edited by Goal_thecup