[PGT] Canucks at Kraken, Battle of the I-5, Nov. 24th, 2023

Roger Neilsons Towel

Probably already been covered, but I'm too lazy to scroll through the entire thread, (I'm coming up on 63....I ain't got that kind of time) but you have to be happy to see the team win a game that they didn't play particularly well in for the first 40 minutes....

Demmer was Demmer again, but like Ferraro said, you should never apologize for having a good goalie.

Tocchet kind of downplayed it in the post game presser, but he had to be ecstatic about how his team responded in the 3rd. Seattle was desperate for the tying goal and the 'Nucks didn't give them a sniff.

Cole, for example, had a terrible game through 2 periods and then completely turned it around in the final 20 minutes.

Bring on the Sharts!

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Guy is still averaging less ice time than Beau and Garland. Two guys he has more goals than, combined. His icetime also hasn't gone up at all, it's been 10-11 minutes the last few games, and has been 10-11 all season. Sooooo, yeah. Those are the games I am watching. 🤓

Sometimes players need to play lower minutes to play the style to be effective. He doesn’t PK so that doesn’t help him any. We will have to see what happens moving forward. 

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’m going to agree with this. The overall level of mature discussion on this board lags behind the old place somewhat in my opinion. Reminds me of elementary schoolyard back and forth…maybe Junior High if I’m being generous. Place could benefit from a little firmer hand in terms of moderation I think. Also, there are some obvious trolls that seem to have free rein in here. 

Meh, it's a gameday thread / postgame thread.  Here is your chance to say some real stupid shit and get away with it.  Every listen to fans call into the Canucks radio after the game?  Same shit.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Sure, but odds are very high that LA will win even more than 3/6 points. At this rate, they're on pace to get 4 or 5 out of those six points.

The same rationale was used at the end of the 2019-20 season that was cut short. Teams were ranked by point percentage instead of placement, as it's a more fair representation of where teams rank.

If I tell myself that the Canucks are 2nd, I feel like I'm lying to myself and will only be disappointed when LA passes us eventually (which is not guaranteed, but likely at this point). I'd rather just be real about the situation instead of trying to paint as rosy a picture as possible.

3rd in this division is pretty good too.   LA is relying on Mr Talbot, a little more then we are on Demko.    Both teams are in for a levelling out.   Don't think we've seen LA's yet.    The four games we have yet to play them, could be the difference between home ice or a wild card for either team at this point, or who's third at the end.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd say Kenny made Edm a lower team, the Canucks just exposed their weakness and shook their confidence 

This is probably true, but the Oilers are still a ways from becoming consistent and time is running

out for them.  If they do make the playoffs, I think they will be a contender much like the

St. Louis Blues years ago. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

They haven't been feasting on chumps, but they haven't got to many of the top teams yet either.  And, despite the record, they rely far too much on spectacular goaltending and power plays to win games.  When that dries up, they struggle

The Nucks do have a great goalie tandem, so they will probably be able to keep the team within

reach of a W on most occasions.

There's still a lot of hockey left until the TDL, which makes me think that the team will fully adjust

to the coaching strategies and expectations.  As bad habits fade, the new systems will become the

norm.  I suspect that we will see a couple of trades in the new year, as well.

They've managed to have the depth to cover the Soucy + Suter injuries, but there is a concern

for whatever is going on with Pete.  I still think the overall team depth is thin at this point.

I'm not concerned about the Canucks being a contender right now; although I would

be thrilled if they did. I just want to see them get into the playoffs and get as much

experience as they can.    A game 7 of a hard fought battle in the 1st or even

a spill-over to the 2nd round would be fantastic.

12 hours ago, DexM94 said:

well, we should focus on OUR games.
we should be worried about finals standings 15 games from the end, now we should care about playing good games, stay sharp physically and mentally. Absolutely no interest to get distracted by others teams results.  

I never said don’t do that was adding to the discussion at hand.

5 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Mind your own business, you friggin' punk, said "mighty mouth." 

You just can't keep your fat ass, stupid mouth shut, can ya? 

I'm sorry I made you cry. Really I am. I didn't realize you were so sensitive. 

I'll choose my words better next time so you don't feel so triggered. 

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

You mean the ones where we had 2 shorthanded breakaways, including a shorthanded goal? Yes, I remember. You act like Demko is the only one out there on the PK. But whatever, you're not gonna give the team credit for playing well. That's on you. Always looking at things negatively must be fun.

No, just calling it as I see it. 

Not trying to sell you a pup or anything. 

On 11/25/2023 at 9:37 AM, EdgarM said:

Yes I don't think we can give RT enough credit, he has taken this "one dimensional" team and made us a more complete team.  Just watching how Boeser plays now shows just how far we have come. We back check , we forecheck , and we now even FINISH our checks, Love the way they are playing now.

They regress here and there still, but for the most part, they are seeing that they need to play hard every game and every shift, to be successful.

I also love the fact that he calls a spade a spade but the thing that worries me is when it starts to lose its ability to wake up the team. How many times has he said periods aren’t good or games and they have come out like this the next period or game? It might be time to start to find players that want to play that way consistently.