[PGT] Canucks at Kraken, Battle of the I-5, Nov. 24th, 2023

Roger Neilsons Towel

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Plus we get to play LA 4 times, and haven't and won't for awhile.   Those 8 points should make it awfully important as to home ice advantage ... quite possibly playing LA in the first round too.   Either them, Vegas  or COL.    No easy first round opponent.  Unlikely anyways, home ice for sure would be great. 

All later in he season, circle Feb 29, Mar 5, 25 and April 6th  dates on the calendar. 

Aren’t there 12 points (potentially) available over those four games? 

1 hour ago, Cocanuck said:

Its the same for me in colorado.. i believe the radio games have gone to a subscription rate that is rather pricey..  games are blacked out but postgame and live listening are still available

You can listen free ...  So far anyways.  

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Plus we get to play LA 4 times, and haven't and won't for awhile.   Those 8 points should make it awfully important as to home ice advantage ... quite possibly playing LA in the first round too.   Either them, Vegas  or COL.    No easy first round opponent.  Unlikely anyways, home ice for sure would be great. 

All later in he season, circle Feb 29, Mar 5, 25 and April 6th  dates on the calendar. 

LA looked very good yesterday against the Ducks. Very well balanced.

I have been watching Juulson and Hogs for some time now and both are playing very well. IMO Juulson might have turned the corner. RT has stood by him and I suspect one of the main reasons is his size and physicality. If it works out for him the Canucks will need that thru the season and into playoffs. Juulson has upside potential as Foote and Gonchar can guide him.

Hogs hit on Tanev knocked him from the game. When you look at the hit Hogs body never reacted. He hit right thru Tanev. I would not be surprised to see Hogs on the top 6 at some point, even if only a game. 

Now we have to consider Aman? He has been having a solid season in Abby and certainly did not look out of place last night. Being able to send him down is the likely scenario as Kuz comes back in. What last night does is give PA a lot of options as he tries to move a forward to acquire another d-man.  

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

A couple thoughts.   Canucks lead the league right now, in every tie breaker, at least the most likely ones.   RW, ROW, goal differential, and so far anyways, haven't given up many points to divisional teams.    That's huge.   The EDM series was also massive for our playoff hopes.    EDM has lots of time to get back into the race, however their top spot is out of the question now, and they are fighting for more likely a wild card spot.    Those 6 points could be huge.    SEA for sure started the season as a direct challenger for us (as did CAL).    LA is right about where they should be.    

It's a completely different tune than recent or even long term history.   Those "four point games" are critical.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

In GDT I asked if this is a team that could grind out wins. 
That was a great grinding win. 
Started out well before the refs said hold up that’s not how we bet. Took a bit but got momentum back and took over. 
‘Nice to see call ups come up and play well. 
When Aman gets in we look so much bigger (which is concerning because he is only 6’2” not 6’5” or anything like that) in the bottom 6. He moves well, looks solid. He needs to develop a bit more nastiness to his game but is carving out a nice bottom six role and was a point a game in the AHL. Good free asset. 
‘Hoglander is going great. Everyone keeps clamouring to move him up, I disagree, leave him where he is. He is bringing scoring and a solid pest game to the bottom six. Having bottom six scoring is a good thing. He is still very young and has lots of time in his career to move up. Heck his first round draft mate is in Abby now. He is doing great and way ahead of schedule. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have been watching Juulson and Hogs for some time now and both are playing very well. IMO Juulson might have turned the corner. RT has stood by him and I suspect one of the main reasons is his size and physicality. If it works out for him the Canucks will need that thru the season and into playoffs. Juulson has upside potential as Foote and Gonchar can guide him.

Hogs hit on Tanev knocked him from the game. When you look at the hit Hogs body never reacted. He hit right thru Tanev. I would not be surprised to see Hogs on the top 6 at some point, even if only a game. 

Now we have to consider Aman? He has been having a solid season in Abby and certainly did not look out of place last night. Being able to send him down is the likely scenario as Kuz comes back in. What last night does is give PA a lot of options as he tries to move a forward to acquire another d-man.  

You bet.   Tochett has to be the quarter season mark Adams winner.   It was a ballsy move picking two guys with no coaching experience, as his assistances, together they make one sweet group of teachers, and this team is like a sponge, especially the players that aren't expected to carry the mail.    Nice to see Garland rewarded on the scorecard too.   Hogs.   Well he's for sure making a solid case that trading Kuzmenko is possible without skipping a beat.    Not sure how much he means to the dressing room.    That also matters.  

With both Wolanin and Brisbois out, i'm not sure Tochett had much choice but to go with Juulsen.   Myers also deserves credit there.   He's the one who has to play with him.     At the very least, it looks like Juulsen is making the most of it, Aman ... won't take long for Tochett to like that guy if he keeps it up either.    Abby has some very good depth options.   

Considering EP is 75% his regular self... Things haven't been terrible.   Still love to see a trade, but it would be so much better, if we had someone in the weeds (personally felt that it could be Brisbois's time) especially after last Spring and the AHL lineup we played with under Tochett, and the two year contract.   If Juulsen can keep it up until both Soucy and maybe Bear arrive that's definitely enough.   Sure would be great to find out we have another roster player getting his shot instead.    Abby and the big club, are almost seamless since Tochett showed up anyways.    Last time i've seen that was in the mid 2000's with the Moose. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Aren’t fourth or fifth in the league? Lots of teams below us, no? 
Our guys are a 105 point team. If we play well then we have a good chance of beating any team. We have elite players at key positions and Demko. 

I think they'll probably come in around the 100 point mark, give or take.  They haven't played a lot of the top teams in their conference/division yet and I think they'll struggle there, so they need to make the most out of the games against the lower teams.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they'll probably come in around the 100 point mark, give or take.  They haven't played a lot of the top teams in their conference/division yet and I think they'll struggle there, so they need to make the most out of the games against the lower teams.

As long as we’re in the playoffs! 

Its a great problem to have when you have solid players that cant get into the lineup or ice time. When one player isnt bringing it you have options. If we could just build that on D as well. 

Demko with the huge bounce back game. I thought he won this game despite the huge game from the bottom 6. 

Aman had an impact for sure. when Suter comes back we are going to be dominate in the bottom 6 against most teams.

Still a few close calls from the D we need to clean up. That  clear from Cole behind our net right up the middle, WTF was he thinking there? Juulsen and Myers were not awful tonight.

As for the Hoglander hit on Tanev I will never cheer a player getting injured. Big hit by Hogs even though i think it was accidental and Tanev is a good player who we have seen have good games against us in the past. I hope he isnt out too long. 

That was a good road game for us. Great forecheck, solid goaltending and a great game from the support players. win in San Jose and come home with 4 of 6 points on the trip i think is a good result. .667 hockey on the road will make sure we make the playoffs. Go Canucks Go

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Its a great problem to have when you have solid players that cant get into the lineup or ice time. When one player isnt bringing it you have options. If we could just build that on D as well. 

Demko with the huge bounce back game. I thought he won this game despite the huge game from the bottom 6. 

Aman had an impact for sure. when Suter comes back we are going to be dominate in the bottom 6 against most teams.

Still a few close calls from the D we need to clean up. That  clear from Cole behind our net right up the middle, WTF was he thinking there? Juulsen and Myers were not awful tonight.

As for the Hoglander hit on Tanev I will never cheer a player getting injured. Big hit by Hogs even though i think it was accidental and Tanev is a good player who we have seen have good games against us in the past. I hope he isnt out too long. 

That was a good road game for us. Great forecheck, solid goaltending and a great game from the support players. win in San Jose and come home with 4 of 6 points on the trip i think is a good result. .667 hockey on the road will make sure we make the playoffs. Go Canucks Go

What id like to see is Hoglander actually get rewarded for his season so far.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Seems to be the order of the day around here

There seems to be two types of fans right now. Ones that are able to enjoy this year's success but can constructively criticize players or problem areas... and ones that are able to enjoy this year's success and get very upset and take it personal if they see someone constructively criticize. 

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

What id like to see is Hoglander actually get rewarded for his season so far.

What id like to see is we keep playing well. Hogs is playing well right now but we also have other players playing well. I like that we have options. Move him up and down as needed. If he keeps playing well he will earn his top line minutes. 

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Get him up on Petey's line for even if only a game would be nice to see. Petey looks lost out there for some reason. The chemistry between he and Kuzmenko isn't there this season for some reason. Sophomore jinx you say? Hoglander is like a dog on a bone each and every shift and I'm surprised Tocchet hasn't rewarded him the opportunity. The question is, does Aman stay up when this roster is healthy? Maybe a trade is in the works to make room for him. I will say this though, the bottom 6 on this current team hasn't been better since AV was the coach.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Mikeyman109 said:

What id like to see is we keep playing well. Hogs is playing well right now but we also have other players playing well. I like that we have options. Move him up and down as needed. If he keeps playing well he will earn his top line minutes. 

He's on pace for 27 goals, what more does he need to do?

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jason Dickinson had a hattrick tonight, I just learned...

Its amazing how he went from an effective player, to a complete anchor here (in his prime), to an effective player again. Never seen anything like it. 

The room was f'd before bringing in Tocc.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

There seems to be two types of fans right now. Ones that are able to enjoy this year's success but can constructively criticize players or problem areas... and ones that are able to enjoy this year's success and get very upset and take it personal if they see someone constructively criticize. 

Insecure fans, easily triggered, who can't tolerate opinions different from their own.

No faith in their team

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, it's disingenuous to call us 2nd in the Pacific, but at least we're 3rd by a country mile and even still better than any Central team--even if all three of the Avs, Jets, and Stars are right on our tails.

What?

Canucks have earned 2nd and are Cleary in 2nd. For sure LA has 3 games in hand, but they need at least 3/6 pts to move ahead of us. We are the ones putting that pressure on them.

Until LA officially wins those and moves past us, we are 2nd and they are 3rd. Enjoy it!

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's on pace for 27 goals, what more does he need to do?

And as I pointed out previously, hogz currently has the lowest ice time 5 on 5 of any non-injured canuck forward.

So he is on pace for 27 goals with zero pp time.

Exactly! What more does he need to do to "earn his minutes".

• ThereItIs 1