[PGT] Canucks at Kraken, Battle of the I-5, Nov. 24th, 2023

Roger Neilsons Towel

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Plus we get to play LA 4 times, and haven't and won't for awhile.   Those 8 points should make it awfully important as to home ice advantage ... quite possibly playing LA in the first round too.   Either them, Vegas  or COL.    No easy first round opponent.  Unlikely anyways, home ice for sure would be great. 

All later in he season, circle Feb 29, Mar 5, 25 and April 6th  dates on the calendar. 

LA & ARI were 2 NHL teams playing NHL pre-season games over-seas, in Melbourne, Australia.  LA has Australian-born/ Canadian, Jordan Spence (D) on their roster.

The league may have given them an easier scheduled-start to the 2023-2024 season, in compensation for that, too. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I’m surprised you could narrow it down to just one. 
There a continuous deterioration of the atmosphere in here with each game. 

Agreed,

Personally I'm trying to remain constructive and open minded nowadays. My mindset is there's lots to be positive about for sure, very exciting season so far, but theres definitely room for improvement. And there's definitely some players that need to show more, and some players who are stepping up. Hopefully others can find a balanced view also and not be fearful of a little negativity here and there.

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jason Dickinson had a hattrick tonight, I just learned...

Its amazing how he went from an effective player, to a complete anchor here (in his prime), to an effective player again. Never seen anything like it. 

Unfortunately the Canucks have had an anchor in the past. Erikksson was a freakin train wreck, 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

What id like to see is Hoglander actually get rewarded for his season so far.

Isnt he getting rewarded by staying in the line up?

Ive just thought about this and I want to add...

he doesnt need to move up the lines , this team needs stability and his performances over the last few games are brilliant. the team needs a good balance of flair, creativity and grind. Hogy is giving everything asked of him in his role. just enjoy what he gives and then let everyone else do what they do...thats team work. 

Edited by Canuckpuckluck1
just wanted to add more
  • ThereItIs 4

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

Key points for me.

1. This might be the biggest period-to-period turnaround I have seen this year. After 2 periods the Canucks led on the scoreboard 2-1, but were ahead mainly because of Demko, as the Kraken were well ahead in all the underlying metrics. But the Canucks completely dominated the third, outshooting the Kraken 12-2, outscoring them 3-0, and actually moving ahead in the aggregate underlying stats. They also blocked a lot of shots, including key blocks by Miller and Juulsen and both guys were hurting for a while after. Anyway, it was a great third after a pretty mediocre first two. 

2. Aman had a good preseason as a guy who had a "big summer", coming back faster and stronger. He was sent to Abby and has played really well there. Today, he signed a two-year deal and was called up. He played a great game. With 2 assists, +3, strong play on the PK, and over 14 minutes of ice-time, he actually shows up as the top Canuck in both the StatCards and Natural Stat Trick expected goals differential. In other words, he had a great game and makes the contract he just signed look like a huge bargain.  

3. The "bottom six" guys continue to play well, including Joshua, Blueger, Garland, Hogs, and Lafferty (actually promoted to Petey's line). Nice to see them getting on the scoreboard. They deserve it. 

4. As for the D, the guy I would focus on is Juulsen. He had his best game of the year and, maybe for the first time this season, shows up really well in the underlying stats. He played over 17 minutes and just kept making good plays -- smart clean passes, good defensive coverage, etc. That allowed Toc to keep Hronek and Hughes down to 23 and 22 minutes, which helps a lot with a back-to-back coming up.

5. The scoring is evening out a bit, with both Miller and Petey held off the scoreboard. But Miller actually had a good game and it shows up in the underlying stats. Petey really did not have a good game, especially in the first two periods. His third period was better.  He was 11 for 20 on the dot, though, continuing his improved face-off performance. 

6. Hughes of course continues to play well, and was great in the 3rd period, and he now owns the longest active point streak in the NHL.

We just need a solid win against San Jose tomorrow to finish off another good road trip. And I am hoping for Petey to have a big game. I guess Kuzy comes back but it is hard to see who comes out. I do not see a reason for taking out any of the wingers who played tonight. 

Thank you, James! Petey is my biggest concern now. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

I heard a great point about letting him drive his own line rather than having him caddy for others. Thought it summed it up nicely.

Hey Deb, im just excited , the kid could always play, but it looks like he is now putting together a more complete game which is what is required to be a NHL regular. It wouldnt shock me if he really finds a footing to be a stand out in the team

• Like 1

This, to me, is what helps a team in an overall sense. An atmosphere that allows for this type of banter. Sure, it comes easier when you're winning but it can carry over when you lose too....to be reminded that you're in it together. I always find humour and sarcasm to be great team builders if you have the right mix. Burr, Bieksa, Kes demonstrated a lot of that and it was special. Becomes a true brotherhood....not just guys sitting beside one another on the bench.

Love Cole and Hronek as additions to the team.

JT is also one of those guys who uses comedic sarcasm that some take/took the wrong way.

On the quick change that saw Hughes-Hronek replace Cole-Juulsen for an O-zone draw on the #Canucks 3-1 goal. "We're looking back like hungry dogs... and that one gave us a treat," said Hughes. Back on the bench, Cole joked, "Oh yeah, just get Ian Cole off the ice, huh?"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckpuckluck1 said:

Hey Deb, im just excited , the kid could always play, but it looks like he is now putting together a more complete game which is what is required to be a NHL regular. It wouldnt shock me if he really finds a footing to be a stand out in the team

Oh for sure!

Which is why I don't disagree with them pacing that to allow him to emerge rather than throwing him in the deep end. Let's face it, he's the type of player that opponents will target and he plays hard minutes out there so limiting them, at least at first, isn't all bad in my view.

• Like 1