[PGT] Canucks at Kraken, Battle of the I-5, Nov. 24th, 2023

Roger Neilsons Towel

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wouldn't bet the farm on them, but they do help show which way the arrow is pointing imo. Good for big trends, etc. 

I mean you can just watch the games too 🤣

Haha, oh yeah I wasn't even trashing stats nerds but just trying to add to you and @DeNiro's conversation. I actually have a couple of friends that play and have played. I know one team who rates every shot from 1 to 5 based in their own set of values. The biggest factor being if the goalie has had to move from one side of the net to the other ... like the Ovie and Draisaitl one timers. They also look at shot speed, traffic, rebounds, etc. You can bet that Mikheyev goal yesterday was super high danger lol.

You can watch a hockey game without advanced stats but advanced stats without watching the games is like having a jerry can of gas with no car. 😁

One thing is certain is that Demko has been great in that area and the team has been really good at cleaning up that aspect as compared to last year. Edmonton does produce a lot of high danger chances ... which makes sense with McDoofy and Drystally clowning around the ice.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, oh yeah I wasn't even trashing stats nerds but just trying to add to you and @DeNiro's conversation. I actually have a couple of friends that play and have played. I know one team who rates every shot from 1 to 5 based in their own set of values. The biggest factor being if the goalie has had to move from one side of the net to the other ... like the Ovie and Draisaitl one timers. They also look at shot speed, traffic, rebounds, etc. You can bet that Mikheyev goal yesterday was super high danger lol.

You can watch a hockey game without advanced stats but advanced stats without watching the games is like having a jerry can of gas with no car. 😁

One thing is certain is that Demko has been great in that area and the team has been really good at cleaning up that aspect as compared to last year. Edmonton does produce a lot of high danger chances ... which makes sense with McDoofy and Drystally clowning around the ice.

I like the natural stat trick site to temper my own eye test feelings on players. I find it most useful for the depth guys

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sorry to say this. But as great as Kesler was being a pain in the ass to the opposition. I'll take JT on my team every time over him. As they say he's a more complete hockey player. Is he crazy passionate yes. But Ric seems to know how to keep him on an even keel. Dare I say they seem to be kindred spirits.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

that peak Kes year was insane to watch. He blew up his lower body for it. JT tho is bringing something special too, and I love that energy he brings. We need grumpy dudes.

Its an interesting comp. JT is definitely a better offensive player than Kes was. But while JT plays a power game I'd say Kes was more gritty, he hit more/played more aggressive, was also faster and better defensively (tho JT's getting there).

While Kes was my fav at the time I'd take JT by a slim margin for the offense. How amazing would it be to have both on a line in their primes together? Talk about a pain to play against. And they'd never lose draws. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Get him up on Petey's line for even if only a game would be nice to see. Petey looks lost out there for some reason. The chemistry between he and Kuzmenko isn't there this season for some reason. Sophomore jinx you say? Hoglander is like a dog on a bone each and every shift and I'm surprised Tocchet hasn't rewarded him the opportunity. The question is, does Aman stay up when this roster is healthy? Maybe a trade is in the works to make room for him. I will say this though, the bottom 6 on this current team hasn't been better since AV was the coach.

I am innocent, I swear! 🙃

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Have you forgotten all those earlier powerplays?

You mean the ones where we had 2 shorthanded breakaways, including a shorthanded goal? Yes, I remember. You act like Demko is the only one out there on the PK. But whatever, you're not gonna give the team credit for playing well. That's on you. Always looking at things negatively must be fun.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Fun fact.   We basically made EDM a lower team.   Experts pick to challenge both Vegas and Dallas to win a cup this year.    That's of course, ignored more than it should be.     Teams had to deal with some injuries and has managed about as well as expected.   EPs been off most of the season, despite the big point total (on the PP, well especially compared to last year, last year 5 x 5 he was excellent).    Who's been struggling since late Oct.    So it's not like we haven't had our fair share of hardship so far.    And it's not like we are feasting on chumps either.  

I'd say Kenny made Edm a lower team, the Canucks just exposed their weakness and shook their confidence 

They haven't been feasting on chumps, but they haven't got to many of the top teams yet either.  And, despite the record, they rely far too much on spectacular goaltending and power plays to win games.  When that dries up, they struggle

• Cheers 1

I see people want to tinker with the lineup, are worried about what line players are on, think this isn’t sustainable, that some underlying stats aren’t great, and just generally seem to like being grumpy and argumentative even when we win. 

Man, I’m just enjoying the ride and have full trust in the coaches and players to make this a great and memorable year! The post game interview with Hughes where he talked about him and Hronek being like dogs on a bone and having Foote throw them out for an extra shift was a treat that they took advantage of to score a goal showed such confidence. He KNEW they were gonna score there and put the game out of reach. What an awesome captain. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

We need that type of contribution from our bottom six on a consistent basis. Especially if any of our stars are struggling. 

I'm glad we've been facing some adversity early in the season. We've seen course corrections before with this core ... ie: a couple years ago with the blown leads, third period collapses. We overcame that on the latter half to go on that great run in the second half.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hogs hit on Tanev knocked him from the game. When you look at the hit Hogs body never reacted. He hit right thru Tanev. I would not be surprised to see Hogs on the top 6 at some point, even if only a game.

I wonder if Tanev tweaked his knee when he got hit.  That leg was sideways during impact, IIRC, so maybe the blade caught at the same time and the knee went sideways. Perfectly clean hit, gotta love it.

Hope he's not hurt too badly.

This:

"I think everybody's waiting for us to fall apart,” Tocchet volunteered in his post-game press scrum. 

Sums up a good portion of our fanbase. Not saying there's not sufficient reasoning behind it....scars.

But, at some point, you have to buy in. Especially if you're demanding that your team does. Let's all board the belief train.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

You mean the ones where we had 2 shorthanded breakaways, including a shorthanded goal? Yes, I remember. You act like Demko is the only one out there on the PK. But whatever, you're not gonna give the team credit for playing well. That's on you. Always looking at things negatively must be fun.

Don't forget the 4th PP, where the Squids got zero shots.

No knocks at all on Demko, but you're right, he's not the only one out there. He made some great stops, but had good help, too.

Squids had 10 shots in the first, with 8 mins of PP time and no PK.  That's pretty solid D coverage.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

This:

Sums up a good portion of our fanbase. Not saying there's not sufficient reasoning behind it....scars.

But, at some point, you have to buy in. Especially if you're demanding that your team does. Let's all board the belief train.

I think you've invented a new term "belief train" I checked on Google- it is not there. Patent it!😀

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

I don't know about anybody else, but I can't stand this interviewer; so phony, I can't even look at her, let alone listen to her.

I'd like to know who thought this was a good hire; and fire them.

If she doesn't ask the players questions about the Oilers or Leafs when they are not the opponent, that's gotta be worth a few Mark's in the Pro column :classic_laugh:

She's not awful, she's not amazing

• Cheers 1