[PGT] Canucks at Kraken, Battle of the I-5, Nov. 24th, 2023

Roger Neilsons Towel

11 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

I listened to the game on Seattle radio. I'm working tonight. Does anybody know why I can't get games broadcast on 650 on my Tune-In app? I can listen to 650 all day long, but at game time nada. Does the NHL embargo out-of-market radio broadcasts like they do TV broadcasts? I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and the Nucks were playing so I thought I'd listen. No joy. Tried Tune-In, the Sportsnet app won't work in the US, I couldn't even get it off the 650 website. WTF? I know they have blackout restrictions for out of market TV when playing the home team, when the Nucks and Kracken play, I have to watch the Seattle broadcast even though I pay Xfinity for the entire Canucks season. But what the hell is up with radio, especially when they are NOT playing the home team?

I listen to 650 from US. This season, it is blocked for Nux game (not pre or post game). You need to use a VPN set to Canada. 

Another way is to use the NHL app,  and select Canucks as the feed. No need for vpn. 

• Cheers 2

Thought I would make two Jomboy-style comments that don't matter:

1: After the fight with Blueger, Gourde said "thanks Bluegs, I appreciate it", which means that it was likely just a fight for show/for the fans and I like the fact that Blueger accepted Gourde's challenge even though they were up 5-1 late in the third - certainly most guys would have declined.

2: In the lineup to congratulate Demko after the game, Miller appeared to congratulate Hughes on extending his point streak, and Hughes responded asking if Miller got one to extend his streak, to which Miller shook his head and said that he didn't get one tonight.  Interesting that they seem to be aware of streaks like that.

Edited by Saved_by_Jesus
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jason Dickinson had a hattrick tonight, I just learned...

Its amazing how he went from an effective player, to a complete anchor here (in his prime), to an effective player again. Never seen anything like it. 

not to the same extent but there’s Jimmy Vesey

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I feel like you're trying to be clever here, but it's like dollar store clever.

They did what I expect them to do, beat teams below them in the standings.  I'm not sure why that's contentious for you

Lol okay.

So after a loss you can make a claim they’re trending down and becoming the bubble team you knew they were?

After a win they’re a team that should beat every team below them?

Can’t have it both ways! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Leanbeef said:

not to the same extent but there’s Jimmy Vesey

Vesey was never a legit consistent top 9 player though, he was bouncing around before he came here, and even after he's been a 4th line/depth guy.

Dickinson was a versatile top 9 player for Dallas in his prime, then came here (still in his prime) and was horrific in every area we brought him in for, then went back to being a great 3rd line player in Chicago. 

Its like a switch flipped off when we got him, then flipped on when we traded him.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Key points for me.

1. This might be the biggest period-to-period turnaround I have seen this year. After 2 periods the Canucks led on the scoreboard 2-1, but were ahead mainly because of Demko, as the Kraken were well ahead in all the underlying metrics. But the Canucks completely dominated the third, outshooting the Kraken 12-2, outscoring them 3-0, and actually moving ahead in the aggregate underlying stats. They also blocked a lot of shots, including key blocks by Miller and Juulsen and both guys were hurting for a while after. Anyway, it was a great third after a pretty mediocre first two. 

2. Aman had a good preseason as a guy who had a "big summer", coming back faster and stronger. He was sent to Abby and has played really well there. Today, he signed a two-year deal and was called up. He played a great game. With 2 assists, +3, strong play on the PK, and over 14 minutes of ice-time, he actually shows up as the top Canuck in both the StatCards and Natural Stat Trick expected goals differential. In other words, he had a great game and makes the contract he just signed look like a huge bargain.  

3. The "bottom six" guys continue to play well, including Joshua, Blueger, Garland, Hogs, and Lafferty (actually promoted to Petey's line). Nice to see them getting on the scoreboard. They deserve it. 

4. As for the D, the guy I would focus on is Juulsen. He had his best game of the year and, maybe for the first time this season, shows up really well in the underlying stats. He played over 17 minutes and just kept making good plays -- smart clean passes, good defensive coverage, etc. That allowed Toc to keep Hronek and Hughes down to 23 and 22 minutes, which helps a lot with a back-to-back coming up.

5. The scoring is evening out a bit, with both Miller and Petey held off the scoreboard. But Miller actually had a good game and it shows up in the underlying stats. Petey really did not have a good game, especially in the first two periods. His third period was better.  He was 11 for 20 on the dot, though, continuing his improved face-off performance. 

6. Hughes of course continues to play well, and was great in the 3rd period, and he now owns the longest active point streak in the NHL.

We just need a solid win against San Jose tomorrow to finish off another good road trip. And I am hoping for Petey to have a big game. I guess Kuzy comes back but it is hard to see who comes out. I do not see a reason for taking out any of the wingers who played tonight. 

Great recap. So good to see the bottom 6 getting rewarded. Juulsen has improved every game and tonight was his best. And pretty fair penalty killing!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol okay.

So after a loss you can make a claim they’re trending down and becoming the bubble team you knew they were?

might be the case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, depending on the result of each Canucks game?... 🤔

Edited by 1-d
  • ThereItIs 2

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol okay.

I said they were a solid playoff team, likely a wild card.  I also said the Avs game was the best game they'd played since Dallas and that they were going to need to beat teams below them to be a playoff team.  So, I'm not entirely sure what your point is

It feels like a sad attempt at baiting to me.  You used to be better than that.    

Edited by stawns
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Vesey was never a legit consistent top 9 player though, he was bouncing around before he came here, and even after he's been a 4th line/depth guy.

Dickinson was a versatile top 9 player for Dallas in his prime, then came here (still in his prime) and was horrific in every area we brought him in for, then went back to being a great 3rd line player in Chicago. 

Its like a switch flipped off when we got him, then flipped on when we traded him.

He just hates playing in Canada, maybe.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

So was I, to be fair… but he’s really finding his stride lately.

It would have to be for a key piece.  He’s got that super pest with offensive pop upside and you can never have enough of that.

Adding the effective hitting to go along with the ability to agitate, has made Högs a real well rounded forward.  It will come down to being consistent with his defensive assignments and he will be a very valuable player for this team at only 22 yrs old.  Podz will be coming soon... 

• Cheers 3

56 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

Moron asking coach and implying this was an ugly win.  Is that Drance?

This was a dominating win on the road.  Depth players look so good.  

That "moron" was quoting Joshua, who'd said it was an ugly win

This board's hatred of Drance is misplaced  - envy, maybe?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2