(PGT) Canucks at Sharks

PhillipBlunt

Just catching up with everything as I was away, you would think the Canucks got dominated this game judging by some of the reactions. My take after watching the game is that the Canucks played very well just didn't get the bounces this game.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

There's no question the schedule has been tough to start the season. But, it's also the start of the season. These are professional athletes who are supposed to have professional level conditioning. One or two off games is fine (last night was probably their worst game of the season) but I don't like people starting to say they look tired only around 12 games into the season. If they've truly been playing tired the last 10 games then Tocchet was right to tear into the team for their conditioning last year.

Regardless, hopefully this extended home stretch helps the team reset and refocus. They've still shown they can compete with the best teams this season (even if they fell slightly short of the win in most of them) so one loss doesn't suddenly make them a pretender. But they do need to take last night's game as a bit of a wakeup call.

Not sure what you do for a living, but... having worked for myself in construction over the past 30 years, it's like a friggin' workout every day. 

No matter whether you're a pro athlete or a younger guy in great shape, in your 30's, working a hard job, takes it toll. 

There's a documentary about Jerome Bettis, the legendary Pittsburgh Steeler running back. Basically, he was "a mess" each weekend and had to take most of the week off to rehab and get to the point he could go out and do it again, the following weeked. 

The point it, regardless what you're doing - a pro NHL'er or a hardworking person who's giving it your all, it affects how you feel. 

I've worked hardcore 28 days in a row. By about the end of the second week, you're spent. 

The human body needs time to recover and relax. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

yup. Pre-tocc and Bo trade we had passengers. Now they look more like a team. 

'Cept we got New Beau back in the Bo trade and he is little better than a passenger.

Not saying it was a bad trade; just that at the time of the trade we had to take Beauvillier.

But I agree of course, if people cannot see an improved Canuck team this season, they might as well quit watching hockey.

Or at least, quit pretending they know anything about it on this forum.

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Who knew losing to the Sharks would trigger an existential crisis on the forum! Feels a bit like that at least lol. 

Sharks are much improved and played hard, and I don’t think the Canucks are the dominant 115 point team that they played like for the first part of the season, so that loss wasn’t too concerning. 

i still think they are good enough to win more than they lose over the rest of the season and make the playoffs. But to be a dominant team, a few more roster moves are needed, that’s pretty clear, and I’m confident the next couple of years will see the Canucks getting better and better. 

Yup.  JR & Co said it was a 2 year plan and we are still in the first year, and already it is great.

Canuck Hockey is fun again and more good stuff is coming.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Pushing that far?  I'm on the complete opposite end of that spectrum.......I don't want them to make any inee jerk move that will cost a 1st or a top prospect.  I'd rather they work their way through this season, get playoff experience and improve in the off season.

I like this team and I like the part they're on.........my disagreement is where they are on that path.  

Glad to hear it. Too many people that are upset with the current situation want to make quick changes. Sorry if you felt lumped in there.

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

'Cept we got New Beau back in the Bo trade and he is little better than a passenger.

Not saying it was a bad trade; just that at the time of the trade we had to take Beauvillier.

But I agree of course, if people cannot see an improved Canuck team this season, they might as well quit watching hockey.

Or at least, quit pretending they know anything about it on this forum.

We mainly switched a center for a defenseman who can play top 4 minutes without having his hand held.  Not that we have a *HUGE* longjam of centers on the team but the blueline needed shoring up (and that's what the trade principally did).

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

How that hit didn’t get 5 and a game is beyond me. 

Following up on the ref who watched Höglander eat his own chicklets not more than 20 feet directly in front of him and did not deem the deed even worth of 2 minutes in the sin bin.  (Game before last, I think.)

• Cheers 1

• Sharpshooter unfeatured, unlocked and locked this topic