(PGT) Canucks at Sharks

PhillipBlunt

Coach Rick has to take some of the heat for this loss.  I think he feels that way too if you read between the lines of his post game.  This should have

been basically a short shift line game for the Canucks. No exceptions other then special teams, but is wasn't. 

When you're on the road and tired from the previous game, the lines have to make they're changes and quickly. 

Petterson almost beat the tar out of someone. That was great. Bet we'll see more of that. He's surprisingly strong. Petey the goon.  What a concept! 

• Upvote 1

Didn't have any problem with the effort tonight - its a very long season and there are ups and downs.  SJ actually does look better and better each time we play them - they have some size and are pretty fast - I do expect they may knock off a few teams on occasion moving forward

I agree the Canucks have played a lot recently and probably the main reason for their  500 performance in the last 10 games.  Good they get some rest before the next match against ANH + hopefully work on some areas of concern.  

Poor third period starts when tied up in the past week have cost them 6 points - so I think they need to start looking into this.  It's a really shame to waste 2 periods of solid hockey and just lose all the momentum in a short period of time in the third with some inconsistent play.  

Hopefully they can make some adjustments in the coming week when they face their division rivals - games are spread out so it should help alleviate some fatigue.

Go Canucks

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The failure of another team's player has absolutely no bearing on our team.  Your mother wouldn't be happy with your D- report card just because some other kid got an F.

Nothing wrong with being pissed off about getting outplayed by the league's worst team.  There is a time to celebrate the success of our team and there is a time to be upset over the failures.  This wasn't a loss to Colorado or New York.  This was a lost to the 23-24 San Jose Sharks.  That is a failure.  That should never happen for any team this season.

Your saying no team should lose to the sharks this season? So they should go 0-82? There 2-3pts away from jumping a few teams in the standings. Lifes to short for getting pissed off about a loss when your team has been exceeding all expectations and top 5 in the world. I'm to tired to continue.

Keep it up boys, most of us understand all the good your doing outways the few hiccups that happen to all teams especially in a tough part of the schedule.

14 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Your saying no team should lose to the sharks this season? So they should go 0-82? There 2-3pts away from jumping a few teams in the standings. Lifes to short for getting pissed off about a loss when your team has been exceeding all expectations and top 5 in the world. I'm to tired to continue.

Keep it up boys, most of us understand all the good your doing outways the few hiccups that happen to all teams especially in a tough part of the schedule.

A team like us shouldn't be losing to a team like them and you know it.  You make it sound like you're happy we lost.

• ThereItIs 1

59 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Didn't have any problem with the effort tonight - its a very long season and there are ups and downs.  SJ actually does look better and better each time we play them - they have some size and are pretty fast - I do expect they may knock off a few teams on occasion moving forward

I agree the Canucks have played a lot recently and probably the main reason for their  500 performance in the last 10 games.  Good they get some rest before the next match against ANH + hopefully work on some areas of concern.  

Poor third period starts when tied up in the past week have cost them 6 points - so I think they need to start looking into this.  It's a really shame to waste 2 periods of solid hockey and just lose all the momentum in a short period of time in the third with some inconsistent play.  

Hopefully they can make some adjustments in the coming week when they face their division rivals - games are spread out so it should help alleviate some fatigue.

Go Canucks

To completely sweep a team for a season is tough, SJ is bound to win one. For a team that played the night before and their travel schedule, the Canucks played decent. Give credit to SJ, the played pretty good and big saves from Laukenen (what his face, their goalie)

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For everyone ragging on Petey, he has more points in his last 7 games than Auston Matthews:

Total points last 7 games:

Elias Pettersson - 4

Auston Matthews - 3

Its not about the points, he just doesn't look as dynamic out there. Whether its injuries or not, EP40 from the beginning of the season to now, its a noticeable difference. He needs to be a catalyst out there, and so far JT has been the guy thats been pretty consistent

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

It's actually very similar to the streak they went on when BB took over.  Lots of things went right, but they really leaned hard on spectacular goaltending for a large chunk of those wins, so it looked better on paper than it did on the ice.

Are you really saying this team is no better than the team under BB?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I'll give them a pass, this schedule has been brutal, so many b2bs and 3 in 4s with a lot of movement and travel is pretty unfair. Two days off now then a little home-stretch is exactly what we need. We were 0.500 during a horrendous bit of travel. If we beat Vegas then none of these losses matter but I don't see it right now.

Our stars have cooled off and we're so reliant on them to be honest. Our defence is still bringing it offensively but defensively we're getting a bit loose. Goaltending is becoming average at times, and most importantly Petey looks like a shadow with 1 assist in his last 4 games.

We need to get back to basics, hopefully some good training sessions at home on the defensive side similar to what we must have done in the off-season to tighten things up.

33 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Nope, SJ played well. They are eons better than the last 2 meetings thats for sure. For tonight at least, they didn't look like an AHL team

Doesn't matter, San Jose is the type of games Canucks are supposed to win against. To me this is a statement that the Canucks are not a good team. 

Better than last season, sure. But still not a good team and the one reason they might still make the playoffs is how the Pacific division is turning out.  

• ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Doesn't matter, San Jose is the type of games Canucks are supposed to win against. To me this is a statement that the Canucks are not a good team. 

Better than last season, sure. But still not a good team and the one reason they might still make the playoffs is how the Pacific division is turning out.  

This was not a statement game, not at all.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For everyone ragging on Petey, he has more points in his last 7 games than Auston Matthews:

Elias Pettersson - 4

Auston Matthews - 3

I wouldn't say ragging on. He is clearly limited in what he can do right now and it shows, people are taking notice. Knowing how he can play versus seeing him on the ice right now is cringeworthy. Its been an extended period of time now and as he looks no better the fear grows that he has something worse going on versus being banged up.

44 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Yes we should beat them but its very rare for us or any team to go 4-0 or 5-0 against a divisional opponent. We are bound to lose a game, we can out play them, stats go all on our favor, and still lose. Its just the way it is. As much as they still suck, theres not guaranteed wins in this league

Edited by filthy animal

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

On the plus side if our big slump is playing .500 hockey... maybe we'll be alright.

Difficult stretch lately, gotta come ready for Anaheim & Vegas. Not much more to say than that. 

If we beat Ana and Vegas, we will resume planning the parade route

39 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I wouldn't say ragging on. He is clearly limited in what he can do right now and it shows, people are taking notice. Knowing how he can play versus seeing him on the ice right now is cringeworthy. Its been an extended period of time now and as he looks no better the fear grows that he has something worse going on versus being banged up.

My only hope / silver lining to this is that he signs a bridge deal of 9.5m per season. 

This isn't his first time having a rough patch of games. His season 2 years ago was really rough. This current stretch is nowhere near as bad but had he been getting paid 12m this year, I would think the criticism would be far worse and going to the rink would get harder  and harder. 

I hope he remembers these moments and realizes that he's not at Mcdavid McKinnon level yet. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Yes we should beat them but its very rare for us or any team to go 4-0 or 5-0 against a divisional opponent. We are bound to lose a game, we can out play them, stats go all on our favor, and still lose. Its just the way it is. As much as they still suck, theres not guaranteed wins in this league

Yeah but with this along with a 2-4 record the last 6 games.  You combine all that, I think you are seeing what this team really is.

I could be wrong (I'd be glad if I am) but there's nothing in the history of this core to suggest otherwise.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Elias Pettersson - 4

Auston Matthews - 3

What does Pettersson not playing well for the past 3 weeks have anything to do with Matthew's point totals over 7 games? 

lul. 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah but with this along with a 2-4 record the last 6 games.  You combine all that, I think you are seeing what this team really is.

I could be wrong (I'd be glad if I am) but there's nothing in the history of this core to suggest otherwise.

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

7 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

This is one of many reasons why the league kinda look bush.  Don't the 3 stars mean anything anymore? 

Screenshot_20231125-225814.png

I feel this as well. That's why I don't follow NHL I support only one team. And sadly it's become more of an entertainment thing. I don't feel sad or upset with a loss or more than mildly happy with a win. I don't get to excited when they score because I'm waiting for it to be called back.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

A team like us shouldn't be losing to a team like them and you know it.  You make it sound like you're happy we lost.

I think I heard that quote  and not from anyone that calls themselves a Canuck fan. 😉

Be careful so you don't start cheering the Oilers or something similar bad...