(PGT) Canucks at Sharks

PhillipBlunt

I believe the next 7 of 8 games are here at home so there is a great opportunity to re-establish the great vibes again. If the boys don’t come out playing with fire and brimstone on Tuesday that would be a profound disappointment. But I think Tocc will have em’ ready. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Vegas lost to the Coyotes last night. That’s a team they should beat. Guess the Knights aren’t a very good team either?

People need to stop desperately trying to draw conclusions after every game it’s ridiculous. 😂

Vegas won the Cup last year. They can do what they want. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Petterson almost beat the tar out of someone. That was great. Bet we'll see more of that. He's surprisingly strong. Petey the goon.  What a concept! 

Petey's idol growing up was Peter Forsberg, a hard - nosed superstar who gave as good as he got and then some.   Not a bad role model. 

• Like 2

To me, the biggest difference between now and the hot start is getting pucks to the net.  For the first 10 games, everything was getting through........plays we're changing their shooting angle slightly before shooting and getting past defenders.  Now it's blocked shot after blocked shot .......they've got to be near the top, over the last 10 games, for having shots blocked.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Petterson almost beat the tar out of someone. That was great. Bet we'll see more of that. He's surprisingly strong. Petey the goon.  What a concept!

When?  Only Petey beating I saw was when he was getting the Daniel Sedin treatment while in discussion with the opponent after the whistle.

Petey can lay out a nice hit once in a while, I must say, but they're usually hits he catches the opponents off guard with. Like that hit last night.

Petey needs to score.

3 games in 4 nights, that's my excuse. I liked how the team responded to Bennings' hit on EP. Boeser should of gotten 6 goals on this road trip, at least. QH and PH, can play the big minutes, Miller almost hit the Queen in the dying seconds. Coulda, shoulda, but didn't. Move on to the next game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Vegas lost to the Coyotes last night. That’s a team they should beat. Guess the Knights aren’t a very good team either?

People need to stop desperately trying to draw conclusions after every game it’s ridiculous. 😂

What!?

This makes no sense to me.

If my kid doesn't do their homework and I go to give them shit... here are two excuses I don't want to hear..

1. Yeah but I did a good job on my homework 2 weeks ago, So it's OK that I didn't do a good job now.

2. Yeah well another person in my class didn't do their homework, so then I shouldnt be in trouble.

Fans need to stop making excuses like this. Canucks have played a series of bad games now. Who cares what Vegas did.

We have some unlikely heroes stepping up and making the games close, and we have Miller, Hughes and Hronek consistently playing well. But this team is showing they aren't able to fix some issues. They aren't able to make in game changes. No one on this team is capable of sparking the team and creating that TSN turning point when the team needs it.

I don't want to hear about Vegas

I don't want to hear about the first 3 weeks of the season, I dont want to hear about tough schedule, petey may or may not be hurt. Etc

We are playing like a fringe wildcard team and that's not where we need to be.

I love this team and I love the excitement this year is bringing, but if changes don't happen now, we will be in the wildcard race by Xmas.

Edited by JayDangles
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

To be clear, I dont think the team is making excuses, just people here 

Understood.  Good teams shouldn't make excuses, even if they are justified, as it looks bad and might help justify bad habits/poor play. Their focus should always be to play better.

I just want to be clear that it is acceptable analysis that they could be a very tired team after dealing with quite possibly the toughest schedule so far. Losing to the Sharks is awful, and some of our guys had a rough outing. It's not unreasonable to consider fatigue as a significant factor.

My complaint about the schedule doesn't negate any argument about wanting to make the lineup better, esp on D, so that QH and FH can stop playing 30 min games.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

What!?

This makes no sense to me.

If my kid doesn't do their homework and I go to give them shit... here are two excuses I don't want to hear..

1. Yeah but I did a good job on my homework 2 weeks ago, So it's OK that I didn't do a good job now.

2. Yeah well another person in my class didn't do their homework, so then I should be in trouble.

Fans need to stop making excuses like this. Canucks have played a series of bad games now. Who cares what Vegas did.

We have some unlikely heroes stepping up and making the games close, and we have Miller, Hughes and Hronek consistently playing well. But this team is showing they aren't able to fix some issues. They aren't able to make in game changes. No one on this team is capable of sparking the team and creating that TSN turning point when the team needs it.

I don't want to hear about Vegas

I don't want to hear about the first 3 weeks of the season, I dont want to hear about tough schedule, petey may or may not be hurt. Etc

We are playing like a fringe wildcard team and that's not where we need to be.

I love this team and I love the excitement this year is bringing, but if changes don't happen now, we will be in the wildcard race by Xmas.

They're now in third in their division and 6th in conference in terms of winning %.  They're already in the wild card race now.  They're the team Seattle is hunting down.

Right now, their focus needs to be desperate hockey to stay ahead of Seattle or it's going to get real sticky.  Fortunately for them, the rest of the Pacific is pretty weak.

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Understood.  Good teams shouldn't make excuses, even if they are justified, as it looks bad and might help justify bad habits/poor play. Their focus should always be to play better.

I just want to be clear that it is acceptable analysis that they could be a very tired team after dealing with quite possibly the toughest schedule so far. Losing to the Sharks is awful, and some of our guys had a rough outing. It's not unreasonable to consider fatigue as a significant factor.

My complaint about the schedule doesn't negate any argument about wanting to make the lineup better, esp on D, so that QH and FH can stop playing 30 min games.

I'd agree, but they're the same trends we saw over two seasons with TG and BB and they've returned in the last 10 games.  When the same problems happen again and again, you can't pin it on schedule or tiredness etc, and I don't think Tocchet is doing that, just fans who seem to be very insecure about the success of the team.

However, Tocchet hasn't been able to stop it from happening either.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're now in third in their division and 6th in conference in terms of winning %.  They're already in the wild card race now.  They're the team Seattle is hunting down.

Right now, their focus needs to be desperate hockey to stay ahead of Seattle or it's going to get real sticky.  Fortunately for them, the rest of the Pacific is pretty weak.

Seattle is worse in their last 10 than we are. Or do we only care about our last 10?

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

And when it comes to excuses from the fan base, it makes it difficult to have objectiv discussions on a discussion board because they simply won't tolerate a different perspective and can't have a reasonable, objective discussion about the realities staring them in the face.

Of course the schedule is working against them, of course the refs are going to make some iffy calls, of course some players might be banged up.  So what?  That's the story of every team in the league and the teams at the top work through it.  I'm hoping the Canucks can turn it around and remain a divisional playoff team

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Rounoush said:

Hughes just 11 seconds short of playing half the game. Jesus.

While Hughes can do that, for a few games anyway, those last 8 minutes are not Hughes at his best.

Need to find a way to keep him at the 22 minute mark.

PA needs to find another high quality D man with in the next few weeks, before they burn Hughes out.

Hronek as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Seattle is worse in their last 10 than we are. Or do we only care about our last 10?

Whataboutism is crutch for the insecure, imo.  That said, I do see your point that Seattle is the team chasing them, so it does matter to a degree 

They're lucky that the Pacific isn't great beyond La and LV or else they'd be fighting "for" a wild card spot instead of fighting to stay "out" of a wild card spit 

5-5 over their last 10 games.

This is why the hot streak was so important.

A slow start, followed by 5-5 would have us out of the play offs, looking up; and thinking 'here we go again'

Hope they get going soon, don't want that 'nest egg' disappearing.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

While Hughes can do that, for a few games anyway, those last 8 minutes are not Hughes at his best.

PA needs to find another high quality D man with in the next few weeks, before they burn Hughes out.

Hronek as well.

Hughes is a phenom. Hronek is fantastic. After that our D is thin. Like you suggest we need one more guy who can play 20+ min at a high level. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Hronek as well.

For me, it depends on what they'd have to give up.  I don't see them as real contenders this year, so I'm happy if they get in on a wild card or third spot in the division and wait until the off season to fill holes 

I don't think they're in a position, as an org, to be giving up significant prospects or first round picks yet...... especially if they're not really contenders.

If a young RFA dman is available for a reasonable price, sure.

• Vintage 2

35 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

When?  Only Petey beating I saw was when he was getting the Daniel Sedin treatment while in discussion with the opponent after the whistle.

Petey can lay out a nice hit once in a while, I must say, but they're usually hits he catches the opponents off guard with. Like that hit last night.

Petey needs to score.

I think it's a matter of giving the guy credit where it's due. When he ISN'T scoring, at least he's trying to make a difference. He's struggling and we need him on the scoresheet for sure. But how about we let go of the past a bit and see that these guys are playing more physical...Petey really isn't expected to and it's a nice surprise. Teams target him and so the fact that he doesn't shy away makes him slightly less vulnerable out there.

I'd like Myers to maybe throw a hit or two every now and then instead of playing back up goaltender. Can we just focus there?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

For me, it depends on what they'd have to give up.  I don't see them as real contenders this year, so I'm happy if they get in on a wild card or third spot in the division and wait until the off season to fill holes 

I don't think they're in a position, as an org, to be giving up significant prospects or first round picks yet...... especially if they're not really contenders.

Cap wise, they are kind of stuck-trying to 'go for it' in the next two years-prior to the OEL big hit.

Yet they also have to make sure they can still play hockey during the Larsson punishment period, and in the years after that.

Heck of a balancing act that the team will need to do.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The way Allvin was able to get Hronek was brilliant. I just don’t know if there’s another Hronek level D man who we can get for that price now. Hronek was only 25 and clearly great. But we definitely need one more top four guy. With Myers coming off the books at the end of this year msybe Allvin will allocate those cap dollars to a UFA D man?