(PGT) Canucks at Sharks

PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Cap wise, they are kind of stuck-trying to 'go for it' in the next two years-prior to the OEL big hit.

Yet they also have to make sure they can still play hockey during the Larsson punishment period, and in the years after that.

Heck of a balancing act that the team will need to do.

Yup, for sure.  That's why I wanted a Miller deal......it pushed the window a little further down the road when it was more realistic.  I don't think they're in a position to go for it, personally......not yet anyway.

It might cost them Petey to extend that window

• Upvote 1

JT's reaction when he missed that tying goal says everything about how seriously he takes this game. 

People said he didn't have a great night but even his bad nights produce points. His pass to Hronek on that goal was JT magic. And he nearly DID tie it up.

Remember, the night before the guy got walloped a few times....he still showed up.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

Yup, for sure.  That's why I wanted a Miller deal......it pushed the window a little further down the road when it was more realistic.  I don't think they're in a position to go for it, personally......not yet anyway.

It might cost them Petey to extend that window

Right...because this team without Miller would be building for the future.

Except guys like Quinn and Petey likely would move on because we'd suck. Then it'd be square one.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

19 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Understood.  Good teams shouldn't make excuses, even if they are justified, as it looks bad and might help justify bad habits/poor play. Their focus should always be to play better.

I just want to be clear that it is acceptable analysis that they could be a very tired team after dealing with quite possibly the toughest schedule so far. Losing to the Sharks is awful, and some of our guys had a rough outing. It's not unreasonable to consider fatigue as a significant factor.

My complaint about the schedule doesn't negate any argument about wanting to make the lineup better, esp on D, so that QH and FH can stop playing 30 min games.

Agreed Kragar. I think that SOME of the losses are due to schedule. Cgy and Sharks come to mind. Others, like Avs, just show us we aren’t right there yet; our personnel need a few more tweaks.

On D, We need to go out and get a long term answer at LHD. It’s a cheaper position to fill than RHD, and I think, when healthy, we are okay at RHD for the year (Hronek, Cole, Myers, Friedman) once Soucy comes back. In the meantime (next 4 weeks), we could keep Cole at LHD and Friedman playing. Once again, a long term answer at LHD.

on offense, I love the team, but their size got exposed against the Avs. In addition, the size of the Avs fwds really showed how they could bully in front of the net. Someone brought up a trade for our 1st for Crouse; I’d honestly consider that if they took salary back and it didn’t hamstring us from filling the LHD stop. And we NEED Podz to refind his game. With a new LHD, Crouse, and 2021 Podz, this team would be something.

so, all in all, what a great place to be. 2-3 players off having a fabulous team. Great job PA!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

JT's reaction when he missed that tying goal says everything about how seriously he takes this game. 

People said he didn't have a great night but even his bad nights produce points. His pass to Hronek on that goal was JT magic. And he nearly DID tie it up.

Remember, the night before the guy got walloped a few times....he still showed up.

JT was gassed after his other 2 performances on this road trip; that’s it. He has been our best 2way player for the last few weeks period. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Right...because this team without Miller would be building for the future.

Except guys like Quinn and Petey likely would move on because we'd suck. Then it'd be square one.

Yup. The most important pieces are in place. Great goalie. Two super D. Two super centres. And Miller is the oldest at only 30. The time is now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

JT was gassed after his other 2 performances on this road trip; that’s it. He has been our best 2way player for the last few weeks period. 

He took a few good whacks and blocked shots too vs the Krakheads. Stingers that likely didn't just completely disappear after the game ended. Wasn't even sure if he'd be in the lineup last night. But he's a warrior who leads by example.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

For a good playoff team , November is the time to learn lessons like this. I'd rather lose games like this now than down the stretch

And if we won the president's trophy , it would be used against us because of 11 and 12.

Are you getting the impression the team is learning from the lessons the last 7-9 game? Because I'm sure not

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Are you getting the impression the team is learning from the lessons the last 7-9 game? Because I'm sure not

Do you factor in the human element at all?

Schedules, injuries, etc.? yes, they're playing .500 hockey right now but that happens at times....they've given themselves a bit of a cushion and can (will) adjust. Road trip wasn't a complete wash...playing back to backs in different cities isn't as easy as some here would pencil it in.

Not excuses - things that deplete a team at times. No team just sails through unscathed and without hitting a few bumps along the road. Petey being off is huge for this team but that won't last forever.

You were writing the team off in October but I think that's on you, not them. People trying to somehow prove their agenda are premature in doing so. Patience, then we'll really see where we're at. This team hasn't been a write off but sure, some here think we're not there yet. I think they have time to prove that they are. It could go either way and the past has jaded some so they just throw in the towel. I'm glad the team doesn't.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Hope Kuzmenko is back playing next game.

I was surprised that he sat this out, wondering if that is a coaches' decision or if maybe that bruising on his chin got infected , or something.

Kuzy will be back next game. Tocchet only scratched him last game because they beat SEA and he figured they were onto something, but then lost to the bottom feeding Sharks.

So, it's back to the drawing board for this team. Staples. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Curious how they're going to fix this. 

Schedule is going to get really tough with ANA, VGK, CAR, NJ, TB and CGY, to name a few.  

Game by game. The team doesn't pencil in wins and losses and we probably shouldn't either. Also...in December we get a good home stretch and play 6 games in 12 days so it eases up a bit. Not in regard to who we play but where and when.

With that, I'm going to the game vs the mallard hens so we'll win that one. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Such a bad argument.

So because we don’t know who the Canucks are yet that means any time they lose to a team below them in the standings it means they’re suddenly not as good of a team?

Good teams lose to bad teams all season. It’s like some people don’t watch any other games but the Canucks…

It's not that bad of an argument, look how we judged the Oilers when they lost to the Sharks. 

Well below them is an understatement, this team is likely to end up bottom in the standings. And yes we don't know what this team really is but losing to the Sharks doesn't make me confident in this team especially if you consider they have been playing some average/mediocre Hockey the last 10 games. 

And it does make you question how much of this early success is a combination of playing some mediocre teams & how much is luck due to an unsustainable PDO? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Giving 2 points away to the less fortunate is very kind and thoughtful of the boys. Christmas came early for the Sharks fans.

Nah I’m just kidding, the sharks worked hard. Im not going to shit on the team, coming off a back-to-back and having the most fucked up travel plan for a road trip.

Vancouver had sooooo many more opportunities. We just couldnt get the bounces.

IMG_1452.png.bbbc223d479f847585e45848a54acda9.png
The sharks did earn some goals in tight, we had a really hard time tappin in rebounds.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Curious how they're going to fix this. 

Schedule is going to get really tough with ANA, VGK, CAR, NJ, TB and CGY, to name a few.  

But schedule itself gets easier- no more b2b until January 8-9 (NYR-NJD), home until December 15 (except one game in Calgary next Saturday). I so hope that having breaks between games without travel helps Canucks .

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

I think I heard that quote  and not from anyone that calls themselves a Canuck fan. 😉

Be careful so you don't start cheering the Oilers or something similar bad...

I believe the Oilers fans are currently in a state of yelling at their team and not cheering for them.  Local liquor sales on Jasper and Whyte Aves are... UP!

• ThereItIs 1