Aquilini! Do we really need him?

Dumb Nuck

Aquilini! Do we really need him?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Aquilini! Do we really need him?

• HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!
    • ya

On 9/17/2023 at 12:52 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Aquilini has only owned the team since 2004.  What about the previous 34 years?  Who's fault is it from 1970-2004?

If I seriously had to pick one thing its amateur scouting / drafting all the way back.  Mostly Ron Delorme was in charge of that.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

If I seriously had to pick one thing its amateur scouting / drafting all the way back.  Mostly Ron Delorme was in charge of that.

Delorme didn’t become the chief scout until 2000. So, 30 years later. By that time we were already starting to become a powerhouse with the Sedins, Bertuzzi, Naslund, etc. 

I don’t think anyone really knows why we sucked so bad for the first 25 years of our existence. Pat Quinn is the one who really turned things around. Before he arrived the Griffiths family were considering selling the team. 

People are ragging on Aquilini, but at the end of the day the Griffiths family were the ones who did the most damage to this team and Arthur was the one who ran it to the ground after he took over from his father. 

One good thing Arthur did was acquire that land downtown and built GM Place. Unfortunately he got in over his head and had to get his buddy John McCaw involved to bail him out. That’s what started the downward spiral. He couldn’t hang on to the Grizzlies so they were sold and moved. Same thing would have happened to the Canucks if Aquilini never bought the team. 

Arthur and his brother made a mess of everything. They eventually had to sell all of his daddy’s companies. They even ended up selling the house in West Vancouver. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

On 9/16/2023 at 9:38 PM, Truefan99 said:

Grass isn’t always greener on the other side. 

FA isn’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But you can’t claim he doesn’t spend money on this team. I don’t get the obsession people have with him, it’s kinda insane. 

Hive minds are hard to break 

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Delorme didn’t become the chief scout until 2000. So, 30 years later. By that time we were already starting to become a powerhouse with the Sedins, Bertuzzi, Naslund, etc. 

I don’t think anyone really knows why we sucked so bad for the first 25 years of our existence. Pat Quinn is the one who really turned things around. Before he arrived the Griffiths family were considering selling the team. 

People are ragging on Aquilini, but at the end of the day the Griffiths family were the ones who did the most damage to this team and Arthur was the one who ran it to the ground after he took over from his father. 

One good thing Arthur did was acquire that land downtown and built GM Place. Unfortunately he got in over his head and had to get his buddy John McCaw involved to bail him out. That’s what started the downward spiral. He couldn’t hang on to the Grizzlies so they were sold and moved. Same thing would have happened to the Canucks if Aquilini never bought the team. 

Arthur and his brother made a mess of everything. They eventually had to sell all of his daddy’s companies. They even ended up selling the house in West Vancouver. 

You're probably right. They clearly didn't hire the right people for the different jobs during their ownership.  Or maybe couldn't afford them. Delorme was hired as a scout back in '85, right after his playing days ended. He wasn't the chief of amateur scouting until 2000 but he's the one with the longest impact in that area. I believe he is the longest serving exec now on the team. And I'd argue that if you were to pick one area the Canucks have been the most unsuccessful at, the one area that has contributed the most to their undoing, its their drafting. Especially their #1 picks.

Delorme was still in charge through Gillis's term. Gillis has said his one big regret was not re-hauling the amateur scouting department.  I gather he'd have not left JB with an empty cupboard if Gillis had demoted Delorme right away.

The Griffiths were simply naive in their hires. But they should have done their due diligence more.  But they also weren't meddlers like Francesco. Both aspects are detrimental though.

Francesco lost us a decade almost with his meddling. Francesco purposely found an individual in Benning who would allow him to live out his dream as a know-it-all hockey team builder in exchange for giving JB a lucrative and esteemed position in the NHL. And then whittle the front office down to only the few who would go along with the plan. And every season of failure, they'd double down on the don't-say-the-word-rebuild plan

I am only conjecturing here, but I think that Luigi, his father, finally had enough and made him go to his room. His meddling days were over, and he was instructed to finally go out and find a competent, respected management team that would run the club on their own, without Franks great hockey mind.

But ownership has been a problem in different ways, from the get go.  I have high hopes now though with this new front office.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, kilgore said:

You're probably right. They clearly didn't hire the right people for the different jobs during their ownership.  Or maybe couldn't afford them. Delorme was hired as a scout back in '85, right after his playing days ended. He wasn't the chief of amateur scouting until 2000 but he's the one with the longest impact in that area. I believe he is the longest serving exec now on the team. And I'd argue that if you were to pick one area the Canucks have been the most unsuccessful at, the one area that has contributed the most to their undoing, its their drafting. Especially their #1 picks.

Delorme was still in charge through Gillis's term. Gillis has said his one big regret was not re-hauling the amateur scouting department.  I gather he'd have not left JB with an empty cupboard if Gillis had demoted Delorme right away.

The Griffiths were simply naive in their hires. But they should have done their due diligence more.  But they also weren't meddlers like Francesco. Both aspects are detrimental though.

Francesco lost us a decade almost with his meddling. Francesco purposely found an individual in Benning who would allow him to live out his dream as a know-it-all hockey team builder in exchange for giving JB a lucrative and esteemed position in the NHL. And then whittle the front office down to only the few who would go along with the plan. And every season of failure, they'd double down on the don't-say-the-word-rebuild plan

I am only conjecturing here, but I think that Luigi, his father, finally had enough and made him go to his room. His meddling days were over, and he was instructed to finally go out and find a competent, respected management team that would run the club on their own, without Franks great hockey mind.

But ownership has been a problem in different ways, from the get go.  I have high hopes now though with this new front office.

From what I have been told, Francesco was the mastermind behind purchasing the team and GM Place (Rogers Arena) as well as all of the land surrounding it.  So, he made the family billions.  From what I understand, he is the sole decision maker when it comes to the Canucks, the other brothers are not involved as they are in charge of other areas of the family business.  Luigi I don't believe is even involved in the Canucks.  Luigi and the family own many, many companies, so even though it's easy to think that his focus is on the Canucks, it really isn't.  

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

From what I have been told, Francesco was the mastermind behind purchasing the team and GM Place (Rogers Arena) as well as all of the land surrounding it.  So, he made the family billions.  From what I understand, he is the sole decision maker when it comes to the Canucks, the other brothers are not involved as they are in charge of other areas of the family business.  Luigi I don't believe is even involved in the Canucks.  Luigi and the family own many, many companies, so even though it's easy to think that his focus is on the Canucks, it really isn't.  

Well we all know  Franny can be  Compulsive at times. Maybe, just maybe, he can see the light and realize what a new practice facility could do for his Canuck Organization.

On 9/18/2023 at 6:57 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

You are right. Luigi let his son play with his toy unhindered for awhile. Too long IMO. The billionaire class are a different breed.

Until it became annoyingly clear he was devaluing it.  When it became about the family business. Losing value...losing futures,  young undeveloped prospects, and future draft picks, while simultaneously not improving the product on the ice.  The overall value in terms of incoming vs outgoing was going the wrong direction. Even if the arena was still full that couldn't be counted on if things continued as they were.  The state of their stewardship of the local NHL team was also about the family's reputation in the city.  This too was important to Luigi. So much local criticism on the running of this subsidiary of Aquilini industries. When the prospect pool was finally almost depleted, while dwelling in the basement of the league and Frank through his puppet GM, didn't magically get us anywhere close again to the SCF after 1, 2, .......8 years, he finally put his foot down and stepped in, for the sake of the family.

Like I say, its just conjecture on my part. but I hope that's what finally happened for all our sakes.

Edited by kilgore

On 9/16/2023 at 6:00 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Problem is, he knows what the franchise is worth. And it would take about $1.5 Billion to buy the team. Even RR isn't that rich. If he can get a consortium to buy the club great.

(I'm including 500 million to make it lucrative, and you'd need lots of operating capital to run the team.)

It's less of do we need them? More like we're stuck with him.

The fans need to buy the team and pool our money together lol liane cartman randy marsh GIF by South Park

It's seemingly obvious that the vast majority of the present membership went with HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!    I went with ya

His public issues and seemingly imperfect persona aside. Well? We need his money. It's as simple as that.

From what I understand he's a passionate Canucks fan. Being such drove him to make some questionable decisions regarding the team. I mean, if any of us were billionaires and owned an NHL franchise, wouldn't you do what you think was best in your mind to make the team successful? I know I would. Would I make mistakes? Yea. For sure.

The MG tenure was a success. There's no denying that. And, we didn't win a cup. But we could have! Forces beyond control of mere mortals conspired from such. I contend that Aquaman wanted a SC so bad post Sedins, that he interfered in a desperate attempt to make it happen with the JB tenure. 

But at then end of things, we arrive at the same point.......Dude's got the money. And that really, unfortunately, is what it's mostlyl about. What it's all about!

Let's just incorporate a Fan Based business group, spin up a blockchain based fractional offering and we ALL buy the team!!!

Who's got a spare billion or two lying around???

Hello?

Hello?????

Is there anyone out there??????????

Click

😉

Edited by VegasCanuck