This whole season seems to beg the Question, What has Tocchet done for this team? Second, did Tocchet make his biggest mistake so far?

Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

Tocchet  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tocchet the right coach for this team

• Yes
    • No

17 hours ago, Bob Long said:

A lot. He's helping grow a new leadership group, a more professional team identity, his staff is doing a great job improving the defence. 

He's building a more consistent and sustainable game.

Like I said, we are short on depth. Once Allvin sorts that out we will be tough to beat on nights our stars aren't firing on all cylinders.

You forgot /endthread

• Upvote 1

Could you imagine prime Tocchet on a line with JT Miller? There's a duo that could do some damage. I think that's why Miller has responded so well to the new coaching staff, they are a much more hard-nosed bunch that matches Millers attitude and playing style.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

17 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Are we 14-7-1 because of Tocchet. Or the offensive abilities of our stars. Coaches coach defense stars make offence.

Tell that to coach Sedin x2. I guess they didn’t have skills coaches in collage

18 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I don't think you understood the post it is the accumulation of Tocchet's inexperience that lead him to that decision.

As a former Hockey player that played BCHL and then US collage Hockey I can tell you from experience of being benched, a player is banging his stick to get back in there to show he belongs.

Nobody, should care what Amen did like I mention in the post he isn't a regular this season Kuz is a first line winger. Just because Amen had two assists doesn't mean he is going to do the same next game. And I guarantee that Kuz is in the line up next game.

F3FCAFB7-0B06-407D-A1C2-11E6ABCF2259.jpeg.21d76c414a10e142d1ec4a72968796be.jpeg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Not a tocchet fan but too early for this thread. The Canucks start exceeded expectations, a few losses now but easy for the ship to be righted. It's fine to highlight some areas of concern, note some trends but too early to pass judgment yet. 

34-19-0-5. Yeah he should be fired!  This fanbase never ceases to amaze me 😂 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Could you imagine prime Tocchet on a line with JT Miller? There's a duo that could do some damage. I think that's why Miller has responded so well to the new coaching staff, they are a much more hard-nosed bunch that matches Millers attitude and playing style.

Right or wrong RT knows the style he wants his team to play. If Koz cannot play that style then maybe he has to be moved. It doesn't take Howie Meeker to see how much better the Canucks are structured since he took over. What a novel idea that the forwards actually provide puck support. Under Boudreau The Canuck d-zone was a disaster especially on the PK. 

RT, Foote and Gonchar have how many CUP rings? If these guys can't make it happen then the Acquilinis had better sell the team to Houston, Tx. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

18 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Disclaimer, You might destroy me now but this post will hold the test of time.

I mean, on the off chance that you are right... preemptive congrats?!

Threads like this should have a timer so that they can be auto-pushed to the top of the forum in a year for a final reckoning :classic_cool:

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes coaches overthink it an mind eff themselves. Kuzmenko should of played the second of back to back games. He has something to prove and would of maybe added a spark to a tired team. I think it was a mistake by Tocchet, but one mistake does not undue so much good that Tocchet has done.

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Its disappointing seeing some of these replies or even posts like the Tocchet one.

The Canucks have done well this year. They have one if the top coaching staffs absolutely. Teams win and lose. Let's try not to reach and try to find things that don't exist after each loss.

People pulling this crap in my opinion aren't Canucks fans ( unless they are winning ofcourse then they tell everyone who is listening that they knew it all along ) but simply put trolls. 

You support your team, coaches, manager, owner etc not look for ways to shit on one or more or try and prove a garbage narrative about how this team sucks or plays like they did or the coach blows etc. Stand with them win or lose.

Lost all respect on opening post " what has Tocchet done " followed up by " he'd be bottom six forward nowadays ".

Nope

There is no way that someone with RT's pedigree would be a bottom six forward. 

I'm pretty sure he scares the hell out of 99% of the players on our team. 

At the age of 23, playing in the Canada Cup with some guys names Gretzky and Lemieux. 

Like you said, guys like this are trolls. In major need of attention. 

But hey, he can back it up with his BCJHL and US "collage" hockey experience! 

Looks like he should've stayed in school. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Sometimes coaches overthink it an mind eff themselves. Kuzmenko should of played the second of back to back games. He has something to prove and would of maybe added a spark to a tired team. I think it was  mistake by Tocchet, but one mistake does not undue so much good that Tocchet has done.

Hindsight is 20/20. The way Granlund was able to fly by the entire team and score, including Miller, Hughes and Hronek, was embarrassing. Or Cole directing the puck into his own net.

Kuzmenko wouldn't have helped much, but if he really feels he has something to prove, he better have a hell of a game against Anaheim tomorrow. 

This might be a legendary post, I wouldn't want to miss a chance to be in the first 5 pages!

I thought the difference could be seen right after they made the coaching change last year. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go watch some games pre-Tocchet and you'll quickly notice the differences in style. Will this be a long-term winning formula? Who knows, but I like what I see from this team in terms of structure and style (when they play to the system).

6 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Wins

DAL*

EDM (x3)

FLA*

MTL

NSH (x2)

NYI

OTT

SJ (x2)

STL*

Losses

CGY

COL*

NYR*

PHI*

SJ

SEA*

TB*

TOR*

Teams currently in a playoff spot are bolded*. Seems the Canucks haven't fared well against playoff teams. Maybe their early success is a result of the easy schedule to start the season? Thank you Oilers and Sharks for those 10 points so far.

The Canucks have games coming up against VGK, NJ, CAR and TB. If they lose all of these, then it's pretty telling they're not there yet.

Decent point, but you should have SEA in the win column as well…

Edited by Captkirk888

Can't argue with positive results.

Issue is whether he overcoaches.  Does it become about him as a coach or is he smart enough to  be a coach who makes every decision for the better of the team - not his ego.

Not sure about that yet but so far so good.

10 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Can't argue with positive results.

Issue is whether he overcoaches.  Does it become about him as a coach or is he smart enough to  be a coach who makes every decision for the better of the team - not his ego.

Not sure about that yet but so far so good.

Dude has like 8 people on his coaching staff, if you want to include the skill coach guys like the Sedins. He also loves giving praose to Foote and Gonchar. Something tells me he's not the overbearing type. 

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Dude has like 8 people on his coaching staff, if you want to include the skill coach guys like the Sedins. He also loves giving praose to Foote and Gonchar. Something tells me he's not the overbearing type. 

Ya but do your research. Lots of examples of him calling out the team publicly.  What he says behind closed doors is one thing. What he says to the media is important as it is public. As I said so far so good but not sure if his ego gets in the way ultimately. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

It’s obvious that Kuzzy isn’t a RT kinda player - he likes to be creative and isn’t a systems kinda guy - note a massive drop in scoring / offensive production…

He produced last year cuz he could do whatever he wanted to… 

not so much this year…

RT preaches system and that idea seems to be shutting Kuzzy down…

some players like JT and Hughes and Boeser thrive under such a system…

Trade him for a top 4 Right handed D

we have enough offensive power 

• Like 1

We're going through a slump after an amazing start. This is normal and shouldn't be thought of anything but normal. There's going to be shenanigans to try and get this team going again.

The real test will be later on with the real question: do we make the playoffs? Until then any question on Tocchet or this team's just kind of silly at the moment if you ask me.

Look at how hard Kuz works compared with other players on the team even. He's a hard worker. Keep that in mind with all of this. It's not like you're cutting someone who's going to cry and sniffle. You're cutting someone who's likely to come back and worker even harder than before. Perhaps the people complaining about this would just quit then and there but that just means Kuz is tougher than you. 😉

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

It’s obvious that Kuzzy isn’t a RT kinda player - he likes to be creative and isn’t a systems kinda guy - note a massive drop in scoring / offensive production…

He produced last year cuz he could do whatever he wanted to… 

not so much this year…

RT preaches system and that idea seems to be shutting Kuzzy down…

some players like JT and Hughes and Boeser thrive under such a system…

Trade him for a top 4 Right handed D

we have enough offensive power 

“I think he needs to get his game a little sharper,” said head coach Rick Tocchet when discussing the decision. “When you’re not scoring, you’ve gotta make sure of your details in your own end. He’s thinking too much. There are some systems stuff that we need to be able to count on in these positions.”

Tocchet’s  upset with the 14-point Kuzmenko — two even-strength goals and just three overall in 19 games — is about non-negotiable system staples too often falling on deaf ears.

RT preaches being good with the puck and responsible without it to reduce turnovers and increase scoring chances. (Accountability is what RT wants, You can't preach it and expect other's to respect you, if someone else is allowed to ignore it, (especially while Not producing), or you will lose the player's respect and the room)

Being cute with creative spins and a zigzag routes to the net aren’t going to cut it with Tocchet.

His quick Kuzmenko retorts Friday spoke volumes.

“I think Kuzy needs a reset.”

“Kuzy’s got to start playing a little harder.”

Edited by Ballisticsports

15 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

“I think he needs to get his game a little sharper,” said head coach Rick Tocchet when discussing the decision. “When you’re not scoring, you’ve gotta make sure of your details in your own end. He’s thinking too much. There are some systems stuff that we need to be able to count on in these positions.”

Tocchet’s  upset with the 14-point Kuzmenko — two even-strength goals and just three overall in 19 games — is about non-negotiable system staples too often falling on deaf ears. He preaches being good with the puck and responsible without it to reduce turnovers and increase scoring chances.(Accountability we wanted-You can't preach it and expect other's to respect that if someone else isn't while Not producing either)

Being cute with creative spins and a zigzag routes to the net aren’t going to cut it with Tocchet.

His quick Kuzmenko retorts Friday spoke volumes.

“I think Kuzy needs a reset.”

“Kuzy’s got to start playing a little harder.”

Trade him 

he’s Russian 

their brains are different 

we need a top 4 RHD