This whole season seems to beg the Question, What has Tocchet done for this team? Second, did Tocchet make his biggest mistake so far?

Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

Tocchet  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tocchet the right coach for this team

• Yes
    • No

50 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's doesn't look the same.   And well, we have to use the league as the comparable.   Not last season.   We've gone from almost dead last, to 18th in high danger shots against.  And those are also subjective.   We aren't seeing the major giveaways and breakdowns, and 2-1 ones etc we were last year either.   Demko himself has said he likes Tochetts system, he sees the shots easier.    Not all high danger shots are created equal.  Yet they all get the same number.   Count as one a piece.   Big difference between a McDavid breakaway, and a regular garden variety slot chance. 

Was at the OTT game.   We were outshot and it wasn't our best game, but the high danger shots were something like 7-3 (in our favour).   That wasn't our best game for sure.    Last loss against SJ, our goalie didn't bail us out at all.   We should have won that game.    Only the Dallas game, and it's not like we outplayed either, has the goalie stole a game for us.    Sure we are getting top end goaltending, it's also what we should be hoping for as well.   Demko was injured last season.   But wasn't the reason why we were blowing leads, had zero structure and had defenseman and certain players (Miller the first 9 games or so), passing the puck tape to tape to the wrong player either.

It's not the same passive 5 man box Bomber employed either.   It's attack oriented.    So the other team is always trying to make a play under pressure.    

Doesn't look, or feel like last years dreadful start.    If Tochett can't make this work, and know we've got some serious defenseman depth issues as well, then we should be considering a full blow up.   

If you want to compare years then how's this, the only time we've ever had the number one PP, this group has surpassed the peak Sedin era's numbers a couple times already.    Doesn't mean our PP is the best in the league though last year does it? 

i disagree high danger chance are high danger chance.. there's a reason why it's a high danger chance.. so because demko is saying it's easier to stop it's ok to give up as many high danger chance? statistically a goallie will stop aprox 9 out of every 11.. so if we are giving up average 15 per game.. chances are we are letting 3 of those in. i've said as much they are not giving up as many individual odd man rushes as before.. but they are giving up a lot more in and around the crease area.. and PK.. well really it's still pretty terrible. the defence  is a massive night and day compared to last season personel wise and skill wise.. making almost no improvement in actual cutting down chances against really is nothing to be proud of.. considering we also have the 3rd easiest schedule so it's not like we are playing world beater teams.. yes high danger chance are all different.. but like i said at the end of the day.. statistic over the last 10 years say 2 out of every 11 will end up in the net.. and i doubt that statistic is 2 out of every 11 odd man rushes will end up in the net and more 2 out of every 11 high danger chances regardless of how they come about will end up in the net.

Canucks are still 4th in the league in goals against per game, that's pretty good defence considering last year we were 9th worst. The PK goes from dead last to 21st in the league which obviously isn't great, but it's still a big improvement. Then offensively our PP is 4th best in the league and offence is still 1st in the league at 4 goals per game which is insane.

I don't think it's as easy as saying offence and defence are separate - good defence builds good offence and that's what we've seen. We're a good 5-on-5 offensive team with lots of 3rd and 4th line scoring support and that all comes from being solid defensively first and breaking out of the D zone well. We sucked at both those things last year, couldn't get out of our own zone and therefore could never push the offence up the ice, whereas now we're much better at that and our D make a great first pass.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

Obviously a kid making these posts (anyone under 30 looks like a kid to me these days). 

Wasn't around to watch him play.   Even late in his career, playing on a very mediocre ARI team, he ventilated Broduer,  during NJ peak, and that was in the playoffs.    Good grief people write some stupid stuff on here at times.   Like dead puck era.   And well, somehow our very own Sedins couldn't manage that game until the rule changes.    If Tochett played today, every single team would be after him, and Tom Wilson and Deslauriers would have "maintenance" days when he was in town.    Probably be a 40-50 goal scorer year after year in today's game.   I read that post, like that there are a few teams today, like right now (and agree with this), that he could play in the bottom six right now, at his current age.    Give him a modern stick and he'd do just fine.    

AHLers galore.   Bet if the team signed him and the Sedins,  Gonchar Foote, at the league min, we'd  probably win a cup this year.      How's that for saying some stupid stuff too.  

Bottom line is, we have a club full of winners now.   So maybe we should just trust the system too.  And support the players who are buying into it, for us. 

Good post.  But can you imagine if this current team had the Sedins, Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar all in their primes.   :-o.   

The bottom line is it really doesn't matter what anyone on these boards thinks, it's all about what the players think, and they seem to approve.

This is from Sportsnet's article today: "“Structure plays a huge part,” winger Conor Garland said. “You see a lot of teams that maybe don't play with a lot of structure and you hear after games like, 'Ah, we didn't have it tonight.' It's hard to win when you don't have structure and you don't have your legs; it's really impossible. (But if) you have structure to fall back on when you're not at your best, it kind of keeps you in games until you find your legs. And we're pretty fortunate we've got a couple of freaks on this team like Petey there. . . where you have a game-breaker.”"

This is why RT is, apparently, the right coach for these players right now. I never liked the hiring and I didn't expect any kind of major result but whatever he's doing is working and I can't argue with it. 

The stats say it all, at one point, the best start in franchise history and, not to mention that after last night's win against Ana, the Canucks are the 1st team in NHL history to have 4 teammates with at least 25 points in the teams first 23 games.

Edited by 204CanucksFan

On 11/26/2023 at 10:52 PM, CanuckFanForever said:

I think most fans would have a hard time explaining what a coach actually does unless they themselves have played in the higher tiers; juniors, major juniors, USHL, NCAA.

If there is any of you guys out there maybe you could answer the question what has Tocchet done for this team?

I have never played pro hockey of any sort so I couldn't articulate specifics about systems etc. But what I can tell you is that (particularly earlier in the year) you could see the team playing together as a unit and they looked like a structured team. That has tailed off lately as far as I'm concerned for some reason.    Looking back on our last two coaches prior to RT what I saw was a disorganized team.   Going back to AV if I remember correctly it took him quite a bit of time to get the team to play the way he wanted them to. Didn't happen overnight.

So hopefully with RT the way they played in the first 15 games is something we can get back to more consistently. We have enough talent that's for sure. 

On 11/26/2023 at 10:03 PM, CanuckFanForever said:

I don't think you understood the post it is the accumulation of Tocchet's inexperience that lead him to that decision.

As a former Hockey player that played BCHL and then US collage Hockey I can tell you from experience of being benched, a player is banging his stick to get back in there to show he belongs.

Nobody, should care what Amen did like I mention in the post he isn't a regular this season Kuz is a first line winger. Just because Amen had two assists doesn't mean he is going to do the same next game. And I guarantee that Kuz is in the line up next game.

Every hockey player has a bad game or two. Everyone in this crazy world's workforce has a bad day or two. You don't get benched for a bad game or two. You don't get a zero increase in pay cause a few bad days at work.  Its an accumulation of lack of effort, motovation, preparation, etc, etc.... Pee Wee Herman would know to bench when necessary, let alone a NHL ledged now head coach. 

Don't want to be benched? Want that promotion? Mimic what your superior does, mimic what players like Bergeron, Pavelski do. No one comes to you and offers you success and longevity. You earn it day in day out, 100%  all the time. Either get on board and put the work in, or call in sick, and stop making excuses. 

8 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

How many Tocchet threads are you planning on making?

I have made this one 

One was a poll which clearly shows that fans actually believe that success this season is making the playoffs and not much else when we have 5 of the best 30 top players in the league 

the other one wasn't a Tocchet thread at all it was a proposed solution because the fans on this forum are blinded by bad wins

so 2 and call it a half. 

8 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

How many Tocchet threads are you planning on making?

You have called me a troll in another thread

And asked this question here. If I have violated any rules you can surely give me a warning if you really don't want me to say what I'm saying than you have the power to silence me. 

I have different views then other fans. Yes, if they are not wanted here tell me and I will leave.

21 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

You have called me a troll in another thread

And asked this question here. If I have violated any rules you can surely give me a warning if you really don't want me to say what I'm saying than you have the power to silence me. 

I have different views then other fans. Yes, if they are not wanted here tell me and I will leave.

I’ve responded to all your points above in the private message you sent me so I’ll leave it at that.