Non-gameday discussion: These two Canucks should be getting more ice time

Miss Korea

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know Canucks fans would hate to hear it but he’s looking like a young Marchand out there.

Hopefully he doesn’t cross the line into full time rat though. 😂

Yeah, he's really refined his game, which is nice to see.  Karlsson is another swedish pest that teams seem to despise 

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

The bottom six was already tampered with when the Canucks demoted Di Giuseppe and scratched Kuzmenko.  And when Blueger timely replaced an injured Suter.  At this point, I'd just keep messing with things until we can string some consistent wins together again.

I think fans have seen enough individual and costly mistakes from Myers to realize that regardless of what situation he's put in, he will still make those bad plays and take some really stupid penalties.  He is a pure chaos giraffe - he'll make two good plays and three bad ones, all in the span of a 40 second shift.  Someone like Lafferty does put up excellent defensive numbers... and that's because he's an excellent defensive player.  He has some obvious finishing talent but he shouldn't ever be a permanent fixture in our top six.

On that same note, I think fans should be happy enough with Höglander that he should get the promotion to the 2nd line and not Beauvillier.  We didn't trade for Beauvillier so he could feature on our bottom six either.  Same goes for guys like Garland, Boeser, and Kuzmenko.  But we are so stacked with talent on the wings, this is where we've ended up.  You're damn right we need defencemen, and I'm hoping we offload Beauvillier, not Garland/Kuzmenko.  I think it's unrealistic we can get rid of both and move $8.5M in salary.

That first line combination is a radical move for sure, but I would definitely try this for one period.  A bigger question is when Suter comes back - who comes out?

PDG

44 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

am i the only one who wants at least one hard to play against wingers on each line?

right now we have lafferty, joshua and diguiseppe. we also have a couple of small scrappy wingers in hoglander and garland.

these players also have to be strong defensive players too.

most successful lines have, a scorer, a playmaker and a strong defensive player that is harder to play against.

the sedins had burrows; west coast express had bertuzzi; gradin and smyl had fraser, even gretzky and kurri has semenko.

imo, we need one more top 6 winger like that. personally i like diguiseppe with miller and boeser. he gives the other two, more freedom and courage to do what they do best.

That player you speak should be Podz! He just needs to refind his 2021 version

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Garland's biggest issue I find is that he tends to take on too many players all by himself and ends up losing the puck.

That is categorically untrue and his possession metrics prove it.  Watch his game closely tomorrow and keep track of how many times he coughs up the puck.  The only time he does give up the puck is when he draws a penalty.

3 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

I understand why some hard working players get put on the top lines

Most coaches keep a tandem of players on lines

I remember the Canucks trying to find a fit for the Sedins

Burrows was given that opportunity (who's career was greater than his individual skill set)

Burrows himself said

“I thought I was going to be a checker all my life,” Burrows said. “I didn’t have the skill set of a top six player".

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

am i the only one who wants at least one hard to play against wingers on each line?

right now we have lafferty, joshua and diguiseppe. we also have a couple of small scrappy wingers in hoglander and garland.

these players also have to be strong defensive players too.

most successful lines have, a scorer, a playmaker and a strong defensive player that is harder to play against.

the sedins had burrows; west coast express had bertuzzi; gradin and smyl had fraser, even gretzky and kurri has semenko.

imo, we need one more top 6 winger like that. personally i like diguiseppe with miller and boeser. he gives the other two, more freedom and courage to do what they do best.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

does the coach trust his defensive game? i could see hogs playing with petey if they had strong defensive winger on the other side.

Burrows and Bertuzzi did not play top line minutes because they were strong defensive players.  They played top minutes because they had excellent chemistry and had the skillset to succeed.  Burrows in particular had very nice hands for a grinder - anyone can remember his bread-and-butter shootout move or between-the-legs dangles he pulled later in his career.  Dave Semenko is definitely a good example for you, but there is no role for bodyguards in the modern NHL.  Any top six player's primary role should be to generate offense.  Anyone who can't generate offense (ie. PDG) should give way to someone who can.  And while Höglander is not as good defensively as Di Giuseppe, he is much better offensively right now and deserves to play more.

• Cheers 1

I agree that Garland and Hoglander should be getting more ice time. I feel like Garland has had solid chemistry with Miller when they've played together in the past. Perhaps Tocchet likes having Garland on the 3rd line because he's a play driver that creates good puck possession numbers and makes the 3rd line that much more effective. I'm glad to see Hoglander playing so well and putting up solid numbers even though he's averaging just 10:35 per game.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

That is categorically untrue and his possession metrics prove it.  Watch his game closely tomorrow and keep track of how many times he coughs up the puck.  The only time he does give up the puck is when he draws a penalty.

Burrows and Bertuzzi did not play top line minutes because they were strong defensive players.  They played top minutes because they had excellent chemistry and had the skillset to succeed.  Burrows in particular had very nice hands for a grinder - anyone can remember his bread-and-butter shootout move or between-the-legs dangles he pulled later in his career.  Dave Semenko is definitely a good example for you, but there is no role for bodyguards in the modern NHL.  Any top six player's primary role should be to generate offense.  Anyone who can't generate offense (ie. PDG) should give way to someone who can.  And while Höglander is not as good defensively as Di Giuseppe, he is much better offensively right now and deserves to play more.

i'm not talking of body guards but those players were hard to play against. look at vegas, they are hard on the puck and finish all their checks.

that what i want the canucks to be. if they are strong defensively, the skilled players have more room to excel. semenko was a tough guy but he was also a good hockey player. several of our players are being knocked off the puck, that isn't being hard to play against. we need both kinds of players.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i'm not talking of body guards but those players were hard to play against. look at vegas, they are hard on the puck and finish all their checks.

that what i want the canucks to be. if they are strong defensively, the skilled players have more room to excel. semenko was a tough guy but he was also a good hockey player. several of our players are being knocked off the puck, that isn't being hard to play against. we need both kinds of players.

Well said Smithers Joe, was going to bring up Semenko, he for sure was more than a body guard, although that was his role too.   Could actually play the game as a checker, and wasn't a goon.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, smithers joe said:

does the coach trust his defensive game? i could see hogs playing with petey if they had strong defensive winger on the other side.

But they do, his name is Mikheyev. I really wish they tried giving Hoglander a chance on that line when Kuzmenko sat. I've enjoyed what Lafferty brings to the team, but he clearly didn't have the skill to play with Petey.

I, like many, am also confused with the reluctance to reunite Garland with Miller. I'm not sure I want to mess with the 3rd line at the moment as they've been looking impressively dominant, but Garland and Miller have had chemistry in the past and I don't know why Tocchet seems to be allergic to the idea of playing them together.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

But they do, his name is Mikheyev. I really wish they tried giving Hoglander a chance on that line when Kuzmenko sat. I've enjoyed what Lafferty brings to the team, but he clearly didn't have the skill to play with Petey.

i haven't really noticed mikheyev the past few games.  he is fast, good defensively. is his recent play because of petey and kuzmenko's play?

23 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i haven't really noticed mikheyev the past few games.  he is fast, good defensively. is his recent play because of petey and kuzmenko's play?

I don't think he's much of a play driver, so with Petey being off the past couple games it would make sense he's been a bit less visible. I haven't noticed him making any mistakes though.