[GDT] Vancouver vs. Anaheim. Tuesday, November 28th, 7pt/10et. Rogers Arena. SNP, SN650 - The 'We did a thing!' Edition.

Chickenspear

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.   How many of those guys enjoyed actually fighting?   Not many.  Domi was one I can think of, and Tony Twist who was a meathead.    Domi would have made the league without fighting much.   He didn't fight much when he joined, remember his WNP days.   It grew on him.   Was a ferocious forechecker that was a little wrecking ball every shift. 

you're the one picking names out of the hat. I don't care who you want to cherry pick, I stand by my statement. choosing to use brawn over brain makes you a meathead. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goal_thecup said:

Sometimes the punches choose you.

Then, watcha gonna do, soft boy, soft boy, when they come for you.

well, personally I would defend myself if attacked but wouldn't initiate. an alternate choice in the game of hockey is to do what the sedins did and turn the other cheek, bury them on the powerplay and then cruise your way to a first ballot hall of fame induction. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

well, personally I would defend myself if attacked but wouldn't initiate. an alternate choice in the game of hockey is to do what the sedins did and turn the other cheek, bury them on the powerplay and then cruise your way to a first ballot hall of fame induction. 

Without The Cup.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.   How many of those guys enjoyed actually fighting?   Not many.  Domi was one I can think of, and Tony Twist who was a meathead.    Domi would have made the league without fighting much.   He didn't fight much when he joined, remember his WNP days.   It grew on him.   Was a ferocious forechecker that was a little wrecking ball every shift. 

I'd say most of them.  I know I certainly did 

• -dlc- featured and pinned this topic
1 minute ago, Captkirk888 said:

Welcome to the GDT - Goon Day Thread.

Back to the game, as one or two have mentioned, Canucks will have to be the hunters as the Ducks will come out flapping hard after 6 losses (ducks) in a row

Goon Day .. I like it!

The Canucks started out this season playing strong and heavy hockey.

But we still don't have the right stuff to back it up and now we're getting injured.

That is why we need help in this area asap.

JR, AP, RT, SG, AF all know that you need a tough team to succeed in the NHL but, imo, they are not moving fast enough on that Beast on the Bench.

Remember the Bubble Blowout once we were up against Vegas?  We got run out of the building (there was only one building in the Covid Playoffs).

Quinn Hughes crumpled up against the boards down on the ice?  Remember that?

Being pinned in our own end (partly Green's faulty coaching) for almost the entire game?

Yeah, I don't want that anymore.

Let's have Goon Day every Game Day.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Without The Cup.

Thing is, you can  hardly call them soft....it really doesn't fit.

They didn't "fight" but that doesn't make someone "soft". Sometimes it makes them smart....I mean, goons aren't always the brightest. And then there's CTE to factor in. Sedins earned way more respect than what some show them.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

I'm going to the game!!!  Super stoked.

Wrecked my back/hamstrings/gluts (damn carrying boxes up/down stairs and a bike gets in the way!!). But I'm not going on IR just yet. Work to be done...cowbell's all ready to go.

Have fun young Lady

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Goon Day .. I like it!

The Canucks started out this season playing strong and heavy hockey.

But we still don't have the right stuff to back it up and now we're getting injured.

That is why we need help in this area asap.

JR, AP, RT, SG, AF all know that you need a tough team to succeed in the NHL but, imo, they are not moving fast enough on that Beast on the Bench.

Remember the Bubble Blowout once we were up against Vegas?  We got run out of the building (there was only one building in the Covid Playoffs).

Quinn Hughes crumpled up against the boards down on the ice?  Remember that?

Being pinned in our own end (partly Green's faulty coaching) for almost the entire game?

Yeah, I don't want that anymore.

Let's have Goon Day every Game Day.

Well, no.

of course I remember the bubble. All our games played in Edmonton. But we needed semi-skilled bruisers like Alex Tuch, Ryan Reaves or Nick Roy, not goons. That’s the way it had been leading for years and that was good. But alas, even that is going by the wayside. 
But, no to going back to goonery.

10 minutes ago, tas said:

there are more important things in life. like being a decent person as opposed to a meathead. 

Yeah, I'm sure all of those players who never won the Stanley Cup ruminated on the fact and came to the conclusion that they were glad they were a decent person. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, you can  hardly call them soft....it really doesn't fit.

They didn't "fight" but that doesn't make someone "soft". Sometimes it makes them smart....I mean, goons aren't always the brightest. And then there's CTE to factor in. Sedins earned way more respect than what some show them.

I'm not dissing the Sedins and they were far from soft.

But that, turn the other cheek stuff doesn't work in pro sports.

Amateurs can be as nice as you want, but pros have everything on the line.

Some of the best 'goons' were pretty darn smart in their own right, and I have always advocated for smart enforcers who know when to take a penalty, how to make the opponent take a penalty without you taking one, when to drop 'em and when to break some rules and smarten some goofs up.

What point turning the other cheek after Duncan Keith concussed Daniel, knocking him out of the playoffs and perhaps the Canucks too?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Well, no.

of course I remember the bubble. All our games played in Edmonton. But we needed semi-skilled bruisers like Alex Tuch, Ryan Reaves or Nick Roy, not goons. That’s the way it had been leading for years and that was good. But alas, even that is going by the wayside. 
But, no to going back to goonery.

I guess at this point, people are objecting to the word 'goon' and they are probably right when it is used in that derogatory sense.

I am more old school and appreciate the 'goons' and look at the word much more favourably (and more inaccurately) than others.

So I agree with you, we need heavy, fast-skating, smart guys to catch and hit the opposition and play smart.

And, when it gets real ugly, bring in the tanks.  Nobody wants stupid hockey.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, I'm sure all of those players who never won the Stanley Cup ruminated on the fact and came to the conclusion that they were glad they were a decent person. 

I also don't think they're stuck on a moment when Marchand was Marchanding.....people want to focus on the Sedins ignoring a guy who licks faces and is an absolute clown. Sure, great player...won the cup. Dirty as f. But, in the end, not someone that everyone respects like they do the Sedins. There's hockey and then there's life after hockey with our children.

I know who I'd wanna hang out with but we're all different.

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I hate to say it, but the Sedin’s turn the other cheek thing was straight fucking embarrassing, and led the team to looking like a bunch of pansies, while Boston strutted their way to the cup. 

Turn the other cheek and get them on the power play is fine during the regular season, but it doesn’t win shit when it matters. 

how to tell the world you're a meathead without actually saying it. 

I sure wasn't embarrassed. 

• Huggy Bear 1