[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Jack Hughes was a bust too lol

Laff is shaping up. Was never a Franchise talent but I can see him being a point per game player.

Also people kinda gave up on Quinn Hughes after a shophmore slump, people are funny 

Quinn Hughes, sophomore slump? What?

If you can call 41pts in 56 games a slump lol.

side note, its funny how fans here are understanding of time taken for players to develop around the league. But here, in Vancouver its an unacceptable concept that our youth needed time

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

side note, its funny how fans here are understanding of time taken for players to develop around the league. But here, in Vancouver its an unacceptable concept that our youth needed time

Not that they are kids anymore.  Let's see what they can do shall we? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

A little shocked how many people suggest to trade Petey if he doesn't extend to max term.

All these fans with a boner over his play and production and though he appears to be battling an injury or other right now he still continues to elevate his game. But heaven forbid the player wants to maximize his earnings because none of us fans care about how big money is in our lives.

Its absurd to suggest trading the Canucks top forward, probably one of what? already one of the best forwards this franchise has ever seen. 

Sign him, continue building around he, Hughes, and Demko.

And Miller.   So far, he's the only guy that's actually put the time in and earned took a pay cut, although somehow EPs worth 65% more on a short or long term deal

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

People were all over him about his defensive liabilities 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Who knows with the CBJ GM? maybe if he see's it as his last chance at keeping his job?

If it ever gets to that point, Canucks would have the cap space to sign Stamkos..

That should be the last option though, only if Pettersson requests a trade.

If teams like Colorado, Tampa Bay and Toronto can keep their top guys, so can the Canucks. It will be difficult but that’s what management is here for.

• Cheers 1

So, Elias may only want a contract until he turns 29, and then really cash in with a long-term deal (in his 30s)

Give Petey a 4-year deal with an AAV of $10, and a full NMC for the first 3 years. If Petey doesn't get the Canucks to the SC Final within that 3 years, trade him for a boat load of assets.

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Quinn Hughes, sopomore slump? What?

nah ppl were all over him for his defensive issue.. they were ready to trade him and replace him with jack rathbone.. ahahahah... i literally said back at the time Rathbone can't play defence nor will he be producing at the NHL level.. and given canucks history of failingto develop any skaters not goalie outside of the 1st round.. it's unlikely he even makes it to the NHL as a regular ever.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nah ppl were all over him for his defensive issue.. they were ready to trade him and replace him with jack rathbone.. ahahahah... i literally said back at the time Rathbone can't play defence nor will he be producing at the NHL level.. and given canucks history of failingto develop any skaters not goalie outside of the 1st round.. it's unlikely he even makes it to the NHL as a regular ever.

People also started talking about trading Pettersson when he had a slow start a couple years ago 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

and a full NMC for the first 3 years

Doesn't work that way, brah.

According to The Sporting News, players need to have played 7 seasons or have reached the age of 27 to earn the right to NTCs or NMCs.

What players are eligible for these clauses?

A player is eligible to have one of the clauses included in his contract if he has played in seven seasons or is over the age of 27, whichever is the first to occur. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-no-trade-clause-players-deadline/ntrpqj4hghx3mfvofqb8vsoz

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

People also started talking about trading Pettersson when he had a slow start a couple years ago 

yup they were calling him injury prone too because of deliberate attempts to injure the guy.. matheson body slam on his head.. KK's can opener.. his only legitimate injury was the wrist one

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Some of the posters here were trolling. Quinn Hughes is the closet to Bobby Orr I’ve ever seen. Orr was the Secretariat of hockey but Hughes is very close. I’d say he’s like Affirmed. Quinn Hughes is a unique player who only come along once in a generation. 

I’m on my way to ordering a Quinn Hughes Canucks jersey… 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I’m on my way to ordering a Quinn Hughes Canucks jersey… 

Super! In time you will be able to tell your grand kids you watched Quinn Hughes live and give them that jersey. We are so fortunate (like we were with the Twins) to have such a great player on our club.  

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

According to The Sporting News, players need to have played 7 seasons or have reached the age of 27 to earn the right to NTCs or NMCs.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-no-trade-clause-players-deadline/ntrpqj4hghx3mfvofqb8vsoz

just out of curiosity, does the time spent in the swedish league as a professional count towards that? 
Petey is 25, so with him starting in Sweden at 18, this should make him a 7 year pro?

25 minutes ago, spook007 said:

just out of curiosity, does the time spent in the swedish league as a professional count towards that? 
Petey is 25, so with him starting in Sweden at 18, this should make him a 7 year pro?

I would assume the right comes with playing in the NHL for the required number of seasons.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Super! In time you will be able to tell your grand kids you watched Quinn Hughes live and give them that jersey. We are so fortunate (like we were with the Twins) to have such a great player on our club.  

He possibly is the best player in the league atm…

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

NTC's and NMC's only kick in for UFA years.  Petey will be a UFA in the summer of 2025, so if he signs a 4-year deal next summer then his last 3 years he will have a NMC...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Petey and Quinn could be like the twins and retire as Canucks.  Or they could be like Bure and Linden and are eventually traded by the time they are 27-28 years old.  We will see what happens to both of them...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

2020-21 was a major stepback year for everyone, including Quinn Hughes.  He was getting crushed defensively.  That's why he signed for such a cheap price.  

image.png.c92cce1a6877258917b95fdc18bf7d6c.png image.png.c27e4c1343a9cc59b5cd9fefd090dff2.png

Even without these numbers, all you needed was an eye test.  He was putting up power play points but other than that he was trying to do way too much.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

All you have to do is look at his point totals in the year prior and the year afterwards to see there was indeed a slump. A slump does not have to mean getting considerably less points. It just has to mean there's a little less production overall that particular year which is fact of his season that year. Couple that with his on ice performance (also notice the -24 +/- that year) and you can see the slump. It's plain as night and day no matter how much you may want to think otherwise.

I get wanting to be on the defensive for certain players, but facts are facts.

Edited by The Lock

On 11/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, AnthonyG said:

He put up points but he was stronger defensively his rookie season. People were all over him for his defensive game so fair to say sophomore slump in that case. 

Is it just me or if a player refuses to want to sign long term, they are more of a selfish player than a team player?!?

Dont give me the he wants to win BullShit... if a player wants out and they are at the level of EP, they can force a trade out!

Look at Tampa they seem to have a player max cap hit of 9.5m, yes taxes I know... but they've built a winner and are still perennial contenders every year.

At the end of the day this all falls on the worst GM in Canucks history Benning! Why that idiot didnt lock Hughes AND EP to 8yr deals is idiotic. Instead, we tied up cap space trading for Schmidt...

Remember, one injury can ruin a career...just saying!