[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

Not trying to start any rumors or anything 😜 but there are currently 2 player jerseys on clearance/sale at https://www.nhlshop.ca/en/vancouver-canucks/sale-items/t-14265374+os-45+z-911548-3659922758 - a bunch of Horvat jerseys for obvious reasons and 3 different types of Elias Pettersson jerseys...  seems odd

Edited by Visp

12 minutes ago, Visp said:

Not trying to start any rumors or anything 😜 but there are currently 2 player jerseys on clearance/sale at https://www.nhlshop.ca/en/vancouver-canucks/sale-items/t-14265374+os-45+z-911548-3659922758 - a bunch of Horvat jerseys for obvious reasons and 3 different types of Elias Pettersson jerseys...  seems odd

Easy answer, old jerseys they likely wont wear again so trying to sell them as they have been sitting on a shelf for a while would be my guess...

I wonder how much it actually costs to make an NHL uniform, the mark up must be real Gud!

On 11/27/2023 at 12:25 PM, Viking said:

Is it just me or if a player refuses to want to sign long term, they are more of a selfish player than a team player?!?

Dont give me the he wants to win BullShit... if a player wants out and they are at the level of EP, they can force a trade out!

Look at Tampa they seem to have a player max cap hit of 9.5m, yes taxes I know... but they've built a winner and are still perennial contenders every year.

At the end of the day this all falls on the worst GM in Canucks history Benning! Why that idiot didnt lock Hughes AND EP to 8yr deals is idiotic. Instead, we tied up cap space trading for Schmidt...

Remember, one injury can ruin a career...just saying!

Allvin making more astute moves (trading of Beau, earlier today) for a 5th round pick. It doesn't seem like a huge deal, but that's $4M off the books off of the cap. Gives Allvin and his management team some cap flexibility to make some moves moving forward. 

Strange to me, though, that the contract with Petey is taking, well, it feels quite long. I wonder what the hold up is. Is it the numbers? Does Petey not want to commit long term to the franchise and city? Is management not convinced that he's a franchise altering player? 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Allvin making more astute moves (trading of Beau, earlier today) for a 5th round pick. It doesn't seem like a huge deal, but that's $4M off the books off of the cap. Gives Allvin and his management team some cap flexibility to make some moves moving forward. 

Strange to me, though, that the contract with Petey is taking, well, it feels quite long. I wonder what the hold up is. Is it the numbers? Does Petey not want to commit long term to the franchise and city? Is management not convinced that he's a franchise altering player? 

If management uses the cap retention of OEL as an argument to keep $ down, Peteys side will likely say in that case, they'll only sign a shorter deal, leaving room for a monster deal further down the line, when there are more money available. 

A 3 year deal will leave Petey to get a new contract at the age of 28. Likely a 7-8 year deal at that stage similar to Miller, but obviously at higher $...

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

If management uses the cap retention of OEL as an argument to keep $ down, Peteys side will likely say in that case, they'll only sign a shorter deal, leaving room for a monster deal further down the line, when there are more money available. 

A 3 year deal will leave Petey to get a new contract at the age of 28. Likely a 7-8 year deal at that stage similar to Miller, but obviously at higher $...

Likely Petey’s next deal is 4 years at 9.5 per. If the term gets longer then the yearly cap allocation will certainly go up. Likely by .7 mil per year. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Likely Petey’s next deal is 4 years at 9.5 per. If the term gets longer then the yearly cap allocation will certainly go up. Likely by .7 mil per year. 

I think, you are dreaming/hoping Alf... if only this was the case, we could probably become a contender sooner than we think. (would be fabulous for us all).

More like 10-11.5 for 3 -4 years and then the same for additional 8 years maybe increased by 0.5 as you say. This would give him about the same, as if he signed here for 8 years, and then had to sign an extension after that at likely far less money.

Either way Alf this is likely, what they are discussing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Yeah I'm thinking something like this too anywhere in the 9.5-10.5 range. I don't hate the idea. It will keep the cost down a bit compared to a longer term deal.

I'd be fine with a deal like that, especially if he wants to cash in for a final deal after that. Or, he could walk as a UFA. 

With his recent play, though, I'm not sure how management wants to sign him long term - maybe they don't want to do that. 

Yip, agree with many on here. EP is an elite talent and we are lucky to have him. He may well get on par with the elite in hockey, but not yet. I thought it was his wrist hurting, and may well be, but he is not skating well either. Something is up. Injuries? Maybe.

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

Yip, agree with many on here. EP is an elite talent and we are lucky to have him. He may well get on par with the elite in hockey, but not yet. I thought it was his wrist hurting, and may well be, but he is not skating well either. Something is up. Injuries? Maybe.

When we where healthy our guys played great.Defense injuries force him to play2/3 of time on our half.Doesn't help that Tocch grind them in to dust.Interesting question is why Edmonton have 5 days free between games if i am not mistaken?

Edited by Lemon Face

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

Dint it get reported groin? Or am I crazy

All this pettersson hate but it’s clear kids dealing with an injury and he’s still the best defensive forward in the ice and the power play entry’s he does with his poise never get praised, he will get going again we seen what his potential is I’m happy locking him up max term at 11 million 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

When we where healthy our guys played great.Defense injuries force him to play2/3 of time on our half.Doesn't help that Tocch grind them in to dust.Interesting question is why Edmonton have 5 days free between games if i am not mistaken?

I imagine the schedule evens out and we will have some bigger gaps between games as well. EP looks off, not really into excuses, he needs to be better and has shown he can do more. I'm a huge EP fan and he has the skills to be dominant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain insano said:

All this pettersson hate but it’s clear kids dealing with an injury and he’s still the best defensive forward in the ice and the power play entry’s he does with his poise never get praised, he will get going again we seen what his potential is I’m happy locking him up max term at 11 million 

If he's dealing with an injury that is impacting his performance why is he still in the line up? 

You would think management would be more cautious considering the Pearson fiasco 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If he's dealing with an injury that is impacting his performance why is he still in the line up? 

You would think management would be more cautious considering the Pearson fiasco 

Sick of guys making excuses for this guy, if he is hurt he should have been shut down a month ago when he started to suck because he's clearly not getting any better and I'm tired of it, You know the team is very shallow at C when they have to trot the broken 170 lb brittle wonder Petey out there week after week. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Sick of guys making excuses for this guy, if he is hurt he should have been shut down a month ago when he started to suck because he's clearly not getting any better and I'm tired of it, You know the team is very shallow at C when they have to trot the broken 170 lb brittle wonder Petey out there week after week. 

I doubt he's injured, he's just being his broody little self...he's not exactly mister personality after all....and who knows, maybe the contract thing is hanging over his head like a big turd, and he's second guessing himself now? Or even worse, he's just going through the the motions and has already "checked out", knowing/thinking that he wants to head out for greener pastures....who know, the guys an enigma.

I think Petey is just stressed thinking he would have a breakout year like we all thought. Instead, Miller and Brock showing what a 7 or 8 million dollar contract looks like.

There have been so many people saying give Petey 10, 11 or whatever for 8 years.... How would he ever live up to that? that would be an OEL anchor around Petey

You last posters suck so hard haha!

It’s been publicly reported he is dealing with a groin injury (don’t ask me for a link just google it you idiot). 

Anyone who has dealt with a groin injury and played hockey will understand why he’s losing his feet from under him. 

I know it would be a blow to our lineup but I’d sit him a couple if that’s something that could help. But I’m not a doctor and a doctor has chosen the course, so I’ll trust their decades of sports medicine over everyone here. 

5 hours ago, Tusk said:

I think Petey is just stressed thinking he would have a breakout year like we all thought. Instead, Miller and Brock showing what a 7 or 8 million dollar contract looks like.

There have been so many people saying give Petey 10, 11 or whatever for 8 years.... How would he ever live up to that? that would be an OEL anchor around Petey

I hope this isn't the case because If this is then Pettersson isn't a team guy then. It would indicate he cares more about his individual stats than winning