[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Already spoke to this, a sign and trade that Pettersson wasn't on board with wouldn't look good for the Canucks. Sign and trades aren't a common occurrence at the NHL level. 

Don't see why a team that's historically been a bottom feeder in Columbus would pony up what it'd cost to acquire Pettersson without having him locked in long-term anyway. Acquiring him and then having to either trade him again down the road or risk having him walk wouldn't be a very smart way to handle assets. 

If Pettersson doesn't want to sign long-term on a team that finally looks to be more of an up and comer than I don't see why he'd sign long-term in Columbus. He's made it pretty clear he wants to be on a winning team.

Its strictly business, if he doesnt want to be here long term other players/agents would understand moving him. Columbus has lots of pressure to make the playoffs in a tough division. If he doesnt want to sign with any team long term, then it doesnt matter. If he is looking to break the bank that's fine he has that right, but it shouldnt be with the Canucks, lots of desperate teams probably willing the shell out max dollars for his services even for just 4 years.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel

15 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Wonder how much he is going to love Queen when his new contract come up.Or we will see  new trade pop up here?

I expect it'll be the same thing all over again, folks will love Quinn til he looks to cash in

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I expect it'll be the same thing all over again, folks will love Quinn til he looks to cash in

Not sure about that.  Quinn is pretty darn unique.  We've never in the history of this franchise had a defenceman like Quinn.  If he wins a Norris, and the Canucks win a Cup with him at the helm, I think most people would just want to give him whatever he wants lol

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not sure about that.  Quinn is pretty darn unique.  We've never in the history of this franchise had a defenceman like Quinn.  If he wins a Norris, and the Canucks win a Cup with him at the helm, I think most people would just want to give him whatever he wants lol

Sedins are unique.Spent all there pro years here,and still giving us a lot more then any other hockey retired superstars .Should we hate them because they didn't win Cup????

I'm sorry; I truly think Pettersson adamantly wants to stay in Van. However that's not to say a gigantic home town discount will be fine, it certainly won't

For two or three years I have thought in or around twelve per with all the goodies. They could try and negotiate that number and see what happens but 

I seriously think that is it. Agent demands more?  Tata Pete..  suffice.

22 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Sedins are unique.Spent all there pro years here,and still giving us a lot more then any other hockey retired superstars .Should we hate them because they didn't win Cup????

Hate them?  What are you talking about?

18 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I'm sorry; I truly think Pettersson adamantly wants to stay in Van. However that's not to say a gigantic home town discount will be fine, it certainly won't

For two or three years I have thought in or around twelve per with all the goodies. They could try and negotiate that number and see what happens but 

I seriously think that is it. Agent demands more?  Tata Pete..  suffice.

I disagree.   Elias can barely answer a media question with out being sarcastic and seeming hugely frustrated and offendend.    He's lost my respect with the attitude.  The fans pay him a lot of money to be a part of an organization.  That aside this does not seem like a man who wants to answer why he isn't performing to his 13 million dollar contract every day when he can disappear in Tampa and no one will take up his time with media questions.

2 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I disagree.   Elias can barely answer a media question with out being sarcastic and seeming hugely frustrated and offendend.    He's lost my respect with the attitude.  The fans pay him a lot of money to be a part of an organization.  That aside this does not seem like a man who wants to answer why he isn't performing to his 13 million dollar contract every day when he can disappear in Tampa and no one will take up his time with media questions.

Guess we'll see soon enough.

Not looking good.....

Sportsnet: Is there any change in Elias Pettersson’s situation? Any sign of negotiations resuming?

Allvin: I have conversations (with his agent) but nothing obviously has changed. We want to keep Petey here. He knows that. At some point it's going to come down to negotiations and if it's working or not. We have another year with him as an RFA; we're not going to lose him this summer. But that being said, I'm trying to plan for our team this year and next year and I want him to be a big part of it.

Sportsnet: Based on your experience, is this situation unusual — a core player eligible for restricted free agency wanting to hold off negotiations?

Allvin: Maybe a little bit, yeah.

Sportsnet: Do you believe Pettersson wants to remain a Canuck?

Allvin: I do believe that he wants to be a part of a good team. He wants to be part of a winning team and I do know that he has a good relationship with Toc and he really appreciates the changes and the direction the team is going.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/qa-with-canucks-gm-patrik-allvin-on-pettersson-kuzmenko-and-being-known-as-trader-pat/

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, van_can_fan said:

Not looking good.....

Sportsnet: Is there any change in Elias Pettersson’s situation? Any sign of negotiations resuming?

Allvin: I have conversations (with his agent) but nothing obviously has changed. We want to keep Petey here. He knows that. At some point it's going to come down to negotiations and if it's working or not. We have another year with him as an RFA; we're not going to lose him this summer. But that being said, I'm trying to plan for our team this year and next year and I want him to be a big part of it.

Sportsnet: Based on your experience, is this situation unusual — a core player eligible for restricted free agency wanting to hold off negotiations?

Allvin: Maybe a little bit, yeah.

Sportsnet: Do you believe Pettersson wants to remain a Canuck?

Allvin: I do believe that he wants to be a part of a good team. He wants to be part of a winning team and I do know that he has a good relationship with Toc and he really appreciates the changes and the direction the team is going.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/qa-with-canucks-gm-patrik-allvin-on-pettersson-kuzmenko-and-being-known-as-trader-pat/

This is pretty telling.  Alvin usually dodges questions pretty well.  He's all but said this isn't going well and we need to plan for the future.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I honestly don’t care what he gets. It’s not like negotiating with a first liner, Petey is elite and we still haven’t seen his best. Petey and when Hughes is up can both get top dollar and I won’t blink 

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, ronning4center said:

This is pretty telling.  Alvin usually dodges questions pretty well.  He's all but said this isn't going well and we need to plan for the future.

No he didn’t! Allvin said he will negotiate a new contract for Petey. Only a fisher would see otherwise. Fish in another pond.,

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I honestly don’t care what he gets. It’s not like negotiating with a first liner, Petey is elite and we still haven’t seen his best. Petey and when Hughes is up can both get top dollar and I won’t blink 

Yup. Petey and Hughes are both generational talents. They will lead us to multiple Cups. 

5 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I think this is the most worrisome part:

"Sportsnet: Do you believe Pettersson wants to remain a Canuck?

Allvin: I do believe that he wants to be a part of a good team..."

• ThereItIs 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No he didn’t! Allvin said he will negotiate a new contract for Petey. Only a fisher would see otherwise. Fish in another pond.,

He literally said that this was unusual....and when asked if he wanted to be a canuck....he said I think he wants to be on a good team.   Thats not fishing bro.   Also...if he was really a team a guy do you really think he'd not have signed?  Or maybe answer some questions without the attitude.  No way he wants to deal with our media for life when under performs on a 13 million dollar contract. Prove me wrong 

Edited by ronning4center

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think this is the most worrisome part:

"Sportsnet: Do you believe Pettersson wants to remain a Canuck?

Allvin: I do believe that he wants to be a part of a good team..."

Totally!   This is Alvin frustrated and letting us know petey is not sold on vancouver long term.  I think he'd rather play in a quiet market

I love Petey but, i'm now over this.

If he re-signs great. if he really doesn't to re-sign than we don't want him. I'm sure we can get a kings ransom in a trade for him and rather have players that want to be in vancouver than guys just chasing top dollar.

Whatever happens i have full confidence in PA and JR with this one.

Sign Reinhart in Free Agency and bring in 3-4 young, good, and cost controlled players for Petey (a la better package than PLD in WPG/LA)

• Upvote 2

Just now, bh90 said:

If he re-signs great. if he really doesn't to re-sign than we don't want him. I'm sure we can get a kings ransom in a trade for him and rather have players that want to be in vancouver than guys just chasing top dollar.

Sign Reinhart in Free Agency and bring in 3-4 young, good, and cost controlled players for Petey (a la better package than PLD in WPG/LA)

Petey will extend with us. The empties have spoken. 

Just now, bh90 said:

I rather just 1 or 2 REALLY good and established young players.  Quality over quantity.  Easier said than done, but that'd be the hope.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Petey will extend with us. The empties have spoken. 

I hope so. But i'm done worrying about this because of PA and JR.

Sign or not sign we have options

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I rather just 1 or 2 REALLY good and established young players.  Quality over quantity.  Easier said than done, but that'd be the hope.  

i agree

i think in a trade we should expect to get at least a first line forward and a first pairing deenseman. Similar to Tkachuk for Huberdeau and Weegar

• Like 1