[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

12 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure there will be a bidding war the bidding war of the price of a rental not the price of a player under term and contract... what you are saying other teams will offer is almost equivalent to JT Miller + mid 1st + prospect + more. sry if you can only guarantee EP there for 1 year and nothing beyond.. are you going to make that trade? if EP is committed to re-signing? ya that's a different story

Look what we got for Bo and he is no where near Petey's calibre. There are some GM's in the league where "common sense" is totally a foreign concept. :classic_biggrin:

I am confident JR/PA will get us fair compensation, and then some if it gets to that point.

• ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Look what we got for Bo and he is no where near Petey's calibre. There are some GM's in the league where "common sense" is totally a foreign concept. :classic_biggrin:

I am confident JR/PA will get us fair compensation, and then some if it gets to that point.

Yea. We got rid of one a couple of years ago!  It's nice that we have a management team that is capable of turning the table on that trend.

Seems with some of the moves/trades/acquisitions we got since JR/PA came into the fold; they're the ones taking advantage of the GM's who seemingly fall into that "common sense is a totally foreign concept,' category. Yay!

I don't know what they got going on. Only that a reward for the team is forthcoming. I'm stoked!

• Like 1

It is still highly unlikely Pettersson leaves. Which other top team in the NHL can offer him $13M per year of cap space?If he leaves it must be something personal. Maybe he likes the US more. Maybe his parents hate Vancouver. Maybe his online girlfriend is located elsewhere.

If Pettersson is available I expect this management group to repay the courtesy that Yzerman extended in the Hronek trade. Detroit will be provided with an exclusive offer before Pettersson is presented on the open market. Dylan Larkin will be approached to see whether he wants to go to Vancouver. Alternatively Vancouver may also choose to retain the newly acquired salary cap space and advertise in public that they are looking to chase after major UFA centres in the market, which may entice the Edmonton Oilers number………….

Edited by Maddogy

7 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

It is still highly unlikely Pettersson leaves. Which other top team in the NHL can offer him $13M per year of cap space?If he leaves it must be something personal. Maybe he likes the US more. Maybe his parents hate Vancouver. Maybe his online girlfriend is located elsewhere.

If Pettersson is available I expect this management group to repay the courtesy that Yzerman extended in the Hronek trade. Detroit will be provided with an exclusive offer before Pettersson is presented on the open market. Dylan Larkin will be approached to see whether he wants to go to Vancouver. Alternatively Vancouver may also choose to retain the newly acquired salary cap space and advertise in public that they are looking to chase after major UFA centres in the market, which may entice the Edmonton Oilers number………….

Dylan Larkin + Simon Edvinsson would be great.

Imagine a future D core that looks like this:

Hughes-Hronek

Edvinsson-Wallinder

DPetey-Brzustewicz

31 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

That's actually bad GMing.

I would make aist of 5 teams that you want from.Then a list from all teams.

Next day let all know and they can start the bidding wars.

Starting with one team just doesn't work unless they have what you want.

Yzerman knows he got less then he should so might just offer small this time so he doesn't get shafted again.That makes for bad business.

13 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

That's actually bad GMing.

I would make aist of 5 teams that you want from.Then a list from all teams.

Next day let all know and they can start the bidding wars.

Starting with one team just doesn't work unless they have what you want.

Yzerman knows he got less then he should so might just offer small this time so he doesn't get shafted again.That makes for bad business.

That’s how the real business world works. Many of the best opportunities were never available to the open public. Some of the best investment properties in Lower Mainland were never listed by real estate agents. This type of close and trusting business relationship is rare but highly coveted. You ask your friend for what you think is a fair return for Pettersson. Your friend won’t waste your time and play games and just let you know either yes we will make this work or no and here is why. If no then you list it on the open market. Either way you offer what you think is fair to your friend first because you know he won’t screw you he does not want you to outright lose this trade and look like an idiot and get fired. Other GM’s will make it a priority to treat you well because they want to be your friend as well. This is the real world.

Edited by Maddogy

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Erik Karlsson was a pending UFA when he was traded to SJ as what you call... a rental or a player that may or may not re-sign.  Do you know what kinda haul he got? 

A middle 6 forward in Tierney

A top tier A+ prospect in Norris

A top 4 RHD in Demelo

A depth player in Balcers

A 1st round draft pick

A 2nd round draft pick

Petey is probably worth as much as Karlsson, if not more due to his age.

i hardly call demko a top 4 rhd lol.. so basically karlsson was traded for an A+ prospect a 1st 2nd a middle 6 and a bottom pairing defenceman.. Norris is basically the only good thing out of that trade for ottawa.

yes EP will definitely be worth more if not close to that.. but none of those players you mentioned are even remotely close to a barzal aho larkin or whoever else in value. so basically a typical rental price for a elite player.. a 1st.. an A prospect.. and couple NHLers.. EP might bump the price up a bit in terms of getting a better NHLer to play in the lineup.. but no team is going to give you a star player under contract for the foreseeable future for uncertainty.. well maybe if the team is close to the cup and this is an all-in or something.. but in those case.. they wouldn't be trading a star player for a star player that is not a massive upgrade and at the risk of walking out after 1 year with 0 star players and losing all their prospect and draft picks.

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i hardly call demko a top 4 rhd lol.. so basically karlsson was traded for an A+ prospect a 1st 2nd a middle 6 and a bottom pairing defenceman.. Norris is basically the only good thing out of that trade for ottawa.

yes EP will definitely be worth more if not close to that.. but none of those players you mentioned are even remotely close to a barzal aho larkin or whoever else in value. so basically a typical rental price for a elite player.. a 1st.. an A prospect.. and couple NHLers.. EP might bump the price up a bit in terms of getting a better NHLer to play in the lineup.. but no team is going to give you a star player under contract for the foreseeable future for uncertainty.. well maybe if the team is close to the cup and this is an all-in or something.. but in those case.. they wouldn't be trading a star player for a star player that is not a massive upgrade and at the risk of walking out after 1 year with 0 star players and losing all their prospect and draft picks.

I guess you mean Demelo and not Demko lol... but anyways, Demelo was a top 4, and still is.  In fact he's playing top pairing minutes with Morrissey.  Please research before you just make personal claims about what players are:  https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/winnipeg-jets/line-combinations

I'm not saying Petey will land a Barzal/Aho/Larkin, 1st, A prospect, and a couple NHLers.  I'm saying Petey would land a Barzal/Aho/Larkin and maybe a 1st plus a mid tier prospect, or else a Barzal/Aho/Larkin and a top tier prospect.  

What bothers me about your replies is that you state your opinion like it's fact.  For example, "no team is going to give you a star player under contract for the foreseeable future for uncertainty".  We don't know that because a player of Petey's calibre hasn't been traded in who knows how long.  Can you even think of a time a elite level 1C in his mid 20s was traded?  It doesn't happen because they're extremely valuable, which leads us to the FACT that not all GMs are built the same (as others have mentioned).  All it takes is for one GM to be willing to deal.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I guess you mean Demelo and not Demko lol... but anyways, Demelo was a top 4, and still is.  In fact he's playing top pairing minutes with Morrissey.  Please research before you just make personal claims about what players are:  https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/winnipeg-jets/line-combinations

I'm not saying Petey will land a Barzal/Aho/Larkin, 1st, A prospect, and a couple NHLers.  I'm saying Petey would land a Barzal/Aho/Larkin and maybe a 1st plus a mid tier prospect, or else a Barzal/Aho/Larkin and a top tier prospect.  

What bothers me about your replies is that you state your opinion like it's fact.  For example, "no team is going to give you a star player under contract for the foreseeable future for uncertainty".  We don't know that because a player of Petey's calibre hasn't been traded in who knows how long.  Can you even think of a time a elite level 1C in his mid 20s was traded?  It doesn't happen because they're extremely valuable, which leads us to the FACT that not all GMs are built the same (as others have mentioned).  All it takes is for one GM to be willing to deal.

it doesn't happen because no GM is dumb enough to let them go because no GM ever offers anything remotely close to value for them and they all turn into massive L in the long run. how many trade involving a young star player worked out for the team trading them? not many? just coz demelo is playing with morrissey doesn't make him a legit top 4 rhd. tyler myer plays way more minutes than demelo is he a top 4 rhd? lol elite level 1c in his mid 20s is extremely valuable but let's trade him because we don't want him and his cap hit... we are better off getting lesser players with lower cap hit. 

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

it doesn't happen because no GM is dumb enough to let them go because no GM ever offers anything remotely close to value for them and they all turn into massive L in the long run. how many trade involving a young star player worked out for the team trading them? not many? just coz demelo is playing with morrissey doesn't make him a legit top 4 rhd. tyler myer plays way more minutes than demelo is he a top 4 rhd? lol elite level 1c in his mid 20s is extremely valuable but let's trade him because we don't want him and his cap hit... we are better off getting lesser players with lower cap hit. 

What?? You're all over the place.  Now you've shifted it completely to how no GM would ever trade someone like Petey.  We were talking about if he was traded what he could garner in return.  Don't change the discussion. 

I'd also argue Myers has definitely played like a top 4 RHD this year.  I don't think I'd be the only one that feels that way either.  Demelo is a top 4RHD through and through.  He doesn't put up big offensive numbers, but he's a very stable and consistent RHD.

One interesting potential stat is that if EP40 scores 100 points this season, he would be the first Swede in NHL history to score back-to-back 100 point seasons....and he would join Kent Nilsson and Peter Forsberg as the only 3 Swedes to score 100 points in more than one season (the latter two each did twice).

Interesting stats, especially the former, that I'm sure his agent, as well as Petey are aware of, and maybe one (of several) reason(s) for the "no hurry" approach so far $$$$$

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Hmm panarin maybe?  Rick Nash, Taylor hall, Matt Duchene, Andrew Ladd...all pretty high producing players.  It used to happen a lot more than it does now. We tend to think petey is a God for posting all those assists.  If he can't win face offs and can stay on his feet ...can't skate like McDavid or score like mathews or drive like McKinnon...I dunno.  He's also kind of stand offish.  Not sold

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

One interesting potential stat is that if EP40 scores 100 points this season, he would be the first Swede in NHL history to score back-to-back 100 point seasons....and he would join Kent Nilsson and Peter Forsberg as the only 3 Swedes to score 100 points in more than one season (the latter two each did twice).

Interesting stats, especially the former, that I'm sure his agent, as well as Petey are aware of, and maybe one (of several) reason(s) for the "no hurry" approach so far $$$$$

Interesting. With NHL goal scoring going up in recent years, it’ll be interesting to see how teams continue to manage their salary cap. 
After seeing the lack of production from Leaf’s Nylander after he signed his mega deal, I’m feeling more okay with Petey waiting until the offseason to sign. Not that I think he’d intentionally float the rest of the season, but some players lose their confidence after signing for big bucks, perhaps fearing they won’t live up to expectations.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Will Elias Pettersson become the greatest Swedish player of all time?

All things considered this is one of the wildest stats I've ever seen. 

• ThereItIs 1

Its funny how this thing takes on weird twists and ideas, suggestions, conjecture.

Petey said before the season he won't focus on an extension until after the season.

The team has publicly stated they are willing to discuss contract. 

I have read or heard zero that suggests the player does not want to be in Vancouver. From his representation, his comments and the team's comments it sounds like both sides are on the same page.

Its amusing seeing Friedman or others report that PA met with Petey or that the team has reached out to the player on multiple occasions as if it means something AS TEAMS DO WITH THEIR PLAYERS REGULARLY AND NOT CONTRACT RELATED. 

All we simply don't have an idea of is term on a new deal. 3-4 years? Max term ? No idea.

There is a lot of cap implications the player has to consider when extending in the beginning of the cap rising era again. In the flat cap scenario JT did very well but appeared to leave $ on the table.

Petey could be 11,12,13+ million on a fair long term deal with the cap rise expectations. Does he want to leave $ on the table so the team can build a better club ? No idea.

I just don't get why all this trade talk, he will extend. Nothing is happening that we were not told already. Expect an offseason extension. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those are seasonal points... he's also not showing top spot.  Kent Nilson's top season... 49 goals and 82 assists for 131 points.

Mats Sundin is the all time leader with 564 goals and 1349 points in 1346 games.

Petey would need about 1000 points moving forward in his career to top Sundin.  He will likely need these coming years to be big ones (ie. 120 points averages) unless he somehow manages 100 points a season for the next 10.

• ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

A couple of things, you are underestimating the "Dumbness" of NHL GM's and its not that we don't want him, I am thinking he is not wanting us or he is asking for an unreasonable amount of salary. 

I can't blame management who is being responsible in handing out contracts so that  they are not a detriment to the rest of the team.

We seen Bo's true colors and its only a matter of time when we see what Petey's true intentions are too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Its funny how this thing takes on weird twists and ideas, suggestions, conjecture.

Petey said before the season he won't focus on an extension until after the season.

The team has publicly stated they are willing to discuss contract. 

I have read or heard zero that suggests the player does not want to be in Vancouver. From his representation, his comments and the team's comments it sounds like both sides are on the same page.

Its amusing seeing Friedman or others report that PA met with Petey or that the team has reached out to the player on multiple occasions as if it means something AS TEAMS DO WITH THEIR PLAYERS REGULARLY AND NOT CONTRACT RELATED. 

All we simply don't have an idea of is term on a new deal. 3-4 years? Max term ? No idea.

There is a lot of cap implications the player has to consider when extending in the beginning of the cap rising era again. In the flat cap scenario JT did very well but appeared to leave $ on the table.

Petey could be 11,12,13+ million on a fair long term deal with the cap rise expectations. Does he want to leave $ on the table so the team can build a better club ? No idea.

I just don't get why all this trade talk, he will extend. Nothing is happening that we were not told already. Expect an offseason extension. 

Didn't we hear the exact same things before Horvat was traded? But isn't it funny hey? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by EdgarM

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Greatest player? or most point producer? Two different things. How many of those have Cups or are playoff performers, thats more of what I want to know TBH.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Those are seasonal points... he's also not showing top spot.  Kent Nilson's top season... 49 goals and 82 assists for 131 points.

Mats Sundin is the all time leader with 564 goals and 1349 points in 1346 games.

Petey would need about 1000 points moving forward in his career to top Sundin.  He will likely need these coming years to be big ones (ie. 120 points averages) unless he somehow manages 100 points a season for the next 10.

Forsberg and his 2 Stanley Cups , among many other accomplishmants, makes him pretty untouchable at this point for me.

• ThereItIs 1