[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

12 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Is your issue with the phrases “making a decision” versus “negotiating” after the season? What’s the distinction in your view?

It sort of came to light for me when PA was asked directly "do you think elias wants to stay in vancouver"  PA pauses then says "he wants to play for a good team"  .   That was a not so subtle dig to an employee that's not sold on the environment, or location or media or whatever.   The distinction being I want to be here and we'll negotiate after the season to I'm not sure I want to be here and I'll decide after the season.

I guarantee Pette will re-sign, People panic for no reason. I look at the glass half full and would like to see how he performs in the p/o, Can he prove his worth? or be a no show?

If it's the latter I wouldn't be mad if someone gives him an offer sheet..I would happily take those 4 1sts. 

12 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I guarantee Pette will re-sign, People panic for no reason. I look at the glass half full and would like to see how he performs in the p/o, Can he prove his worth? or be a no show?

If it's the latter I wouldn't be mad if someone gives him an offer sheet..I would happily take those 4 1sts. 

I dunno. For me, the organization can't just let players of his caliber just walk. What does that signal to the rest of the team moving forward? You have an alter franchise kind of player, and you let him go for 4 1st round picks? It's a rebuild all over again, and unless the next four drafts has a generational talent like a Crosby or McDavid, then I'm kind of hesitant. We've also gone through a rebuild that didn't really pan out for almost the last decade. I don't know if I want to go through that again. 

• Cheers 1

This is clearly about money and nothing else. The argument that he previously made about being on a good winning team is now a proven lie or just a minor aspect to signing a contract.

So let’s look at the logic. If he plays his typical, he will get his 12-12.5M per. If he levels up and wins a Hart or Art Ross and or does real well in the playoffs, then he just made at least another 1M per season.

It’s a no brainer. 

There is no incentive to signing now. He could care less about making the fans happy or setting up the team to plan their shit out. 

This won’t get sorted out until after the playoffs. 

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

This is clearly about money and nothing else. The argument that he previously made about being on a good winning team is now a proven lie or just a minor aspect to signing a contract.

So let’s look at the logic. If he plays his typical, he will get his 12-12.5M per. If he levels up and wins a Hart or Art Ross and or does real well in the playoffs, then he just made at least another 1M per season.

It’s a no brainer. 

There is no incentive to signing now. He could care less about making the fans happy or setting up the team to plan their shit out. 

Other than caring about the team and its future?  We aren't talking about 6 or 7 mill.  He's handcuffing the team and wanting to pad his stats to make more money.  Bo did that and Rutherford showed him how that goes.

Edited by ronning4center
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

Other than caring about the team and its future?  We aren't talking about 6 or 7 mill.  He's handcuffing the team and wanting to pad his stats to make more money.  Bo did that and Rutherford showed him how that goes.

Lol he’s not doing nothing yet there are no talks going on…

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

We had no control over Bo at the end of that season. It’s a different situation. We own his rights if he chooses to sign at the end of the season. We didn’t have that when Bo. If Petey just gets qualified or refuses to sign then JR will show him the same response as he did with Bo and rightfully so. Let’s just hope it doesn’t get there 

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

It’s a no brainer. 

And they do have wiggle room, as an RFA.  He could take the one year deal route if they can't come to agreement on an extension this year

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

And they do have wiggle room, as an RFA.  He could take the one year deal route if they can't come to agreement on an extension this year

If he takes a 1 year deal it walks him directly to UFA 

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

22 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

If he takes a 1 year deal it walks him directly to UFA 

I think if he's only willing to take a 1 year deal, we trade him.  

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think if he's only willing to take a 1 year deal, we trade him.  

Possibly, but I think you give yourself that year if you need it, even if you do plan on moving him.  

I really hate the way the league and cap have evolved........it's impossible to keep a young core

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Possibly, but I think you give yourself that year if you need it, even if you do plan on moving him.  

I really hate the way the league and cap have evolved........it's impossible to keep a young core

I think to keep a young core, you need to lock them up to 8 year deals as a 1st year RFA.  That's probably why we're seeing the big contracts handed out so early now.  Also means there could be a lot of dead cap all over the place if players don't pan out.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think to keep a young core, you need to lock them up to 8 year deals as a 1st year RFA.  That's probably why we're seeing the big contracts handed out so early now.  Also means there could be a lot of dead cap all over the place if players don't pan out.

I wouldn't go that way, young players are too unpredictable.  I'd keep the deals 3-4 years until their mid 20's and then go to a longer deal.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't go that way, young players are too unpredictable.  I'd keep the deals 3-4 years until their mid 20's and then go to a longer deal.

That's when you can't hold onto the young core though.  The cost is too high.  If you manage to get them on bridge deals, they'll all go for the big pay day after that one.  Imagine if Petey, Hughes, Miller, and Demko are all around the same age.  Each asking market value within 1 to 3 years of each other... $12M Petey, $12M Miller, $12M Hughes, $9M Demko... just won't be able to work.  You gotta gamble like what NJ did with Hischier and Hughes, or BUF with Thompson, etc.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's when you can't hold onto the young core though.  The cost is too high.  If you manage to get them on bridge deals, they'll all go for the big pay day after that one.  Imagine if Petey, Hughes, Miller, and Demko are all around the same age.  Each asking market value within 1 to 3 years of each other... $12M Petey, $12M Miller, $12M Hughes, $9M Demko... just won't be able to work.  You gotta gamble like what NJ did with Hischier and Hughes, or BUF with Thompson, etc.

Then you deal them for a good haul and reinforce the depth in your organization and sign ufa's

Under a cap, there is no way to keep an elite young corp and have success, imo.  That's what TO has learned 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canucks curse said:

Did Friedman just say we are looking at Elias Lindholm and Guentzel 

He said there were about 5-6 guys we are looking at. He knows two and is in the process of figuring out who the others are.

18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He said there were about 5-6 guys we are looking at. He knows two and is in the process of figuring out who the others are.

Yesssss

my guess 

JG

crouse 

EK

Elias Lindholm

Giroux 

Tom Wilson 

Mittelstadt