[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

If Petey refuses to sign...

To Chicago

Elias Pettersson 

Vancouver 3rd rd pick 

Minnesota 4th rd pick

(Chicago lose their 2024 1st and Kurashev)

To Minnesota

Kurashev

Vancouver 1st rd pick

Raty 

Brzustewicz

(Minny lose Ek and their 2024 4th)

To Vancouver

Eriksson Ek

Chicago 1st rd pick

(Vancouver lose Pettersson, their 2024 1st, their 2024 3rd and Brzustewicz)

Chicago get one of the best players in the league and a couple of later picks to offset losing their first. 

Minnesota get an up and coming C and a big package of picks and prospects.

Vancouver gets a great 2C and a top 3 pick. 

Who says no?

Edited by 48MPHSlapshot

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

To Chicago

Elias Pettersson 

Vancouver 3rd rd pick 

Minnesota 4th rd pick

To Minnesota

Kurashev

Vancouver 1st rd pick

Raty 

Brzustewicz

To Vancouver

Eriksson Ek

Chicago 1st rd pick

Chicago get one of the best players in the league and a couple of later picks to offset losing their first. 

Who says no?

Why would a rebuilding team trade a potential 1st oa for a 26 year old with only 1 year of team control.  If he wont sign with Vancouver what makes you think he'd sign with a team so early in its rebuild? 

10 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Why would a rebuilding team trade a potential 1st oa for a 26 year old with only 1 year of team control.  If he wont sign with Vancouver what makes you think he'd sign with a team so early in its rebuild? 

Just going off the rumors from a few weeks ago. Obviously this deal is based on the assumption that there is a contract in place between Chicago and Petey. 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

To Chicago

Elias Pettersson 

Vancouver 3rd rd pick 

Minnesota 4th rd pick

To Minnesota

Kurashev

Vancouver 1st rd pick

Raty 

Brzustewicz

To Vancouver

Eriksson Ek

Chicago 1st rd pick

Who says no?

ACD7F514-B9CB-47A0-8602-58E3F8D15420.gif.ddad3277e37ef5c76ea8027d892f5bb1.gif

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:58 PM, Coryberg said:

I'm wondering if petey isn't signing an extension because this market is so toxic. I mean the media here is a circus and the fans eat it up. For a guy who is private as he is that has to be frustrating.

If you look at it from his point of view you could go to an American market and not be under a microscope 24/7. On top of that you will have less travel, less taxes and better weather. I really wouldn't blame him for making that call on a personal level.

I hope my assumptions are wrong but from the looks of it we are backing up the truck with money and we are the #1 team in the league. Those 2 things alone would sell 95% of players but as we know petey is a differ breed.

If he decides he doesn't want to be here for the aforementioned reasons I won't hate on him, I just hope we can get fair value back and move on. At the same time I'm not going to fret on it. Let's just enjoy the season for now.

To add to this I wonder if him not being chosen captain has played a role in his not signing yet?

10 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

How about to make Connor Bedard happy? You think he wants to be in a loser team? You can tell all this losing is eating him up. 

16 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

To add to this I wonder if him not being chosen captain has played a role in his not signing yet?

lol I doubt the captaincy have anything to do with it.. if he doesn’t like the toxic media he wouldn’t like talking to him.. it’s mentioned multiple times he doesn’t want to talk contract during the season not sure why everyone is like trade him he isn’t re-signing.. maybe they made a preliminary offer to him in the summer and was like you had 1 great season so far this is what we think you are worth and he’s didn’t like it and went nah I’ll just replicate last season and we can talk after season end. 

15 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I don't see why you would think Pettersson to be petty like that. Has he even done anything remotely similar to what you're describing? If not, why would that suddenly change?

Him concentrating on the season however would probably be the most likely reason he hasn't signed yet.

24 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

How about to make Connor Bedard happy? You think he wants to be in a loser team? You can tell all this losing is eating him up. 

That's how rebuilds work.  You don't get drafted by the worst teams in the league and become an instant contender. You BUILD from the ground up.  Shortcuts usually extend the build , not shorten it 

On 1/27/2024 at 2:32 PM, aGENT said:

He also said he wasn't signing in season. So why are we shocked and dismayed that he... isn't signing in season...?

Is it though? They'll have a pretty darn good idea of what it will take to sign him.  Not knowing the EXACT number isn't holding anything up. They can plug in a +/- amount and make moves based on that. If he doesn't want to extend in the summer (I'd be VERY shocked) you look at moving him, and likely don't have to worry much about cap space at all. If he extends, you already accounted for his +/- cap. Meh.

It is funny to see all the posts though : why won't he sign ", " trade him if he won't sign ", " maybe because he was not named captain " and so on.

He said in the offseason, he plans to work on a deal after the season, not during. It can actually be that simple. There is nothing else here going on. Play out the season and see where he is positioned contract wise and then work out a deal. Zero pressure or window here where he needs to sign.

The team is under zero strain in terms of team building with the question mark of Petey's next contract, the team will throw a shit ton of money his way when he is ready. Let it play out.

He may feel his value is Nylander-esque in terms of AAV etc but he may also go through the season, this trade deadline and the playoffs experiencing and seeing the affect of dollars on the team. Being capped out means very likely no big piece is traded for but additional depth. Seeing the cap scenario for the team moving forward and knowing how successful the team is in having depth guys like Blueger, Lafferty, and Joshua he will understand where dollars are tight and the importance of one if not two of those forwards coming back.

Not the worst thing to wait this out and see how the team looks after the season.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

That's how rebuilds work.  You don't get drafted by the worst teams in the league and become an instant contender. You BUILD from the ground up.  Shortcuts usually extend the build , not shorten it 

No one is saying for them to be an instant contender. At the same time if not attempting to field a competitive team causes discourse. Players less likely to sign or extend. Most importantly a player like Bedard, who has always been a winner, won’t be happy if a team does not gradually improve. 

ill say one last thing. If the Blackhawks are this bad in 2 or 3 years, he will leave that team one way or another.

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

No one is saying for them to be an instant contender. At the same time if not attempting to field a competitive team causes discourse. Players less likely to sign or extend. Most importantly a player like Bedard, who has always been a winner, won’t be happy if a team does not gradually improve. 

ill say one last thing. If the Blackhawks are this bad in 2 or 3 years, he will leave that team one way or another.

Let's see what happens in a few years.  Bedard understands how the draft works. The best players go to the worst teams.  Giving up incredibly valuable assets for an older star player with no contract beyond this year makes no sense for a rebuilding team 

On 1/28/2024 at 8:29 AM, 48MPHSlapshot said:

To Chicago

Elias Pettersson 

Vancouver 3rd rd pick 

Minnesota 4th rd pick

To Minnesota

Kurashev

Vancouver 1st rd pick

Raty 

Brzustewicz

To Vancouver

Eriksson Ek

Chicago 1st rd pick

Who says no?

Vancouver for sure. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 10:15 PM, qwijjibo said:

Let's see what happens in a few years.  Bedard understands how the draft works. The best players go to the worst teams.  Giving up incredibly valuable assets for an older star player with no contract beyond this year makes no sense for a rebuilding team 

Only if it's a trade and sign.   But it still makes zero sense, CHI has way too many holes, they also say no thanks.    CHI needs to suck for awhile.   

• Upvote 1

Let’s say EP wants $12M and JR/PA aren’t budging from their best offer (say $11.5M).

Would you trade EP to CBJ for Fantilli, Johnson, and Jiricek?

CBJ gets their #1C to play with Gaudreau and Laine.

VAN gets 3 top players/prospects on cheap ELC contracts.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Let’s say EP wants $12M and JR/PA aren’t budging from their best offer (say $11.5M).

Maybe, but why would Pettersson sign long-term in Columbus if he isn't willing to do it in Vancouver? Pettersson doesn't just want to get paid, he wants to win, he won't be doing much of that in Columbus. 

Hard to see teams being willing to trade for Pettersson without an extension worked out beforehand. 

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but why would Pettersson sign long-term in Columbus if he isn't willing to do it in Vancouver? Pettersson doesn't just want to get paid, he wants to win, he won't be doing much of that in Columbus. 

Hard to see teams being willing to trade for Pettersson without an extension worked out beforehand. 

Players say a lot of things.  In the end it’s all about the $$$.

I still remember Erhoff leaving Canucks for a big pay day and he said he thought BUF was a cup contender (or something like that).

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Players say a lot of things.  In the end it’s all about the $$$.

I still remember Erhoff leaving Canucks for a big pay day and he said he thought BUF was a cup contender (or something like that).

I get that, but Elias is a position where can realistically achieve both. He's arguably a top 10 NHL forward in his 24-25 year-old season. He doesn't need to go to Columbus to get paid, he's going to get paid everywhere so why wouldn't he elect to sign somewhere he's got a better chance of winning?

Pettersson's deal is going to likely be over 100M if it's long term, I don't see why he wouldn't take a little less to go somewhere he's got an actual chance of winning. 

I just see the odds of him signing a deal in Columbus being slim to none, and Columbus doesn't make such a deal without a guarantee he sticks around. Hell, most teams won't. 

If the Canucks are to trade Pettersson they'll have to negotiate with teams Pettersson is willing to extend with. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

CBJ isn't doing that because Petey won't sign long term in Colombus.