[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. I can give you information, but if you need help actually preparing a complex return I recommend hiring an accountant.

Appreciate the offer friend, but it was said as a gag. I could never cheat on my accountant.

• Haha 1

Just now, MattJVD said:

It depends. If his wife and kids do in fact live in NY year-round it would make it an interesting case. But if the kids are registered in school in the GTA, that can be used to define his dependents' place of residence. And the dependents' place of residence is a primary residential tie as was posted above. 

All hypothetical here; I have no idea what John and his families' living situation actually is. 

Yup, if his primary residence is in GTA along with spouse and kids, then there's no chance the CRA would clear him as a USA citizen for tax purposes.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

It depends. If his wife and kids do in fact live in NY year-round it would make it an interesting case. But if the kids are registered in school in the GTA, that can be used to define his dependents' place of residence. And the dependents' place of residence is a primary residential tie as was posted above. 

All hypothetical here; I have no idea what John and his families' living situation actually is. 

My goodness. So if I understand correct, it sounds like it could be private boarding school for the kids and an oversight by Tavares team? I could not imagine the level of shock I bet he felt when he got his CRA notice.  

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
*If they claim residence in NY, but the kids boarding school was what got flagged
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

My goodness. So if I understand correct, it sounds like it could be private boarding school for the kids and an oversight by Tavares team? I could not imagine the level of shock I bet he felt when he got his CRA notice.  

I can't imagine Tavares' Agent/Accountant(s) missing that, but I suppose high-profile mistakes do happen. 

I found the case on the Tax Court of Canada, but there are no documents attached for public viewing. I'd love to know the details; I'm a big nerd for this sort of thing hahaha

image.thumb.png.97a29022640ed2a78f5827d89302b23c.png

Edited by MattJVD

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Posted in another thread, but figured it'd be worthwhile here too...

I think if we ALL (Petey included) just temper our expectations of Petey's ability, we would all be better off.  IMO, I don't think Petey is that top tier of superstars in this league.  He's not McDavid, or Mackinnon, or even Pastrnak or Matthews.  He's a tier down from those guys.  He's also not a Selke favourite, or even a candidate this year.  The sooner he realizes that, the sooner we realize that, the sooner everybody will be happier with his play.  The caveat though is that he shouldn't be looking to be paid for what he's not.  That's where the problem lies.  If Petey went into Allvin's office today and signed a $10.5M deal for 8 years, I think many of us will be off his case. 

My hope is that Petey comes to his senses and realizes that it's worse for him to sign an ego contract, as it'll merely put more pressure on him to perform. Sign for something reasonable and outperform your contract and you'll be a hero.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I think if we ALL (Petey included) just temper our expectations of Petey's ability, we would all be better off.  IMO, I don't think Petey is that top tier of superstars in this league.  He's not McDavid, or Mackinnon, or even Pastrnak or Matthews.  He's a tier down from those guys.  He's also not a Selke favourite, or even a candidate this year.  The sooner he realizes that, the sooner we realize that, the sooner everybody will be happier with his play.  The caveat though is that he shouldn't be looking to be paid for what he's not.  That's where the problem lies.  If Petey went into Allvin's office today and signed a $10.5M deal for 8 years, I think many of us will be off his case. 

I still think there's a good chance he comes in on a 3-4 year deal

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I still think there's a good chance he comes in on a 3-4 year deal

At this point, given how tight our cap situation is moving into OEL's worst buyout years, I'm more worried about $ cap hit than length of contract.  I'd do whatever it takes to try and keep it under $11M.

I think Petey is incredible and doing something in the 4 year range is best for him because he likely maximizes his career earnings while also not getting stuck in Vancouver should another rebuild beginning in the back half of an 8 year contract. 

It is also good for Vancouver because 4 years will be a cheaper cap hit vs 8 years. Also at this point it seems like they're all in over these next few years. 

Maybe something like $10.5 or $11 million over 4 years. Hoping obviously for closer to $10

Edited by Bobby James

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Petey follows the direction of the coaches.

You would see much more if he was more egoistic… He is a typical swede that listens to what coaches say.

19 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Petey follows the direction of the coaches.

You would see much more if he was more egoistic… He is a typical swede that listens to what coaches say.

So what you're saying indirectly is that McDavid, Mackinnon, Pastrnak, Matthews, etc don't listen to their coaches...?

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So what you're saying indirectly is that McDavid, Mackinnon, Pastrnak, Matthews, etc don't listen to their coaches...?

McDavid seems to get some flaq going forward. The others, not a clue.

NA players  tend to be harder in their opinion while swedes tend to follow order.

Especially if the NA players know how good they are. I believe they have it easier making demands on how to play.

It’s my opinion if it makes it easier to digest.

3 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

McDavid seems to get some flaq going forward. The others, not a clue.

NA players  tend to be harder in their opinion while swedes tend to follow order.

Especially if the NA players know how good they are. I believe they have it easier making demands on how to play.

It’s my opinion if it makes it easier to digest.

Yes, I can digest your opinion and poop it out later lol.

I dunno, I'm not sure I'm convinced that Petey is just playing poorly lately because he's following coaches orders.  It could very well be he's in the same boat as Kuzmenko though... more defensive responsibility compared to Boudreau's coaching style, so offence is impacted?  Who knows...

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yes, I can digest your opinion and poop it out later lol.

I dunno, I'm not sure I'm convinced that Petey is just playing poorly lately because he's following coaches orders.  It could very well be he's in the same boat as Kuzmenko though... more defensive responsibility compared to Boudreau's coaching style, so offence is impacted?  Who knows...

They way he was setup in PP under Green is one example that he follows order.

He is the most creative guy, why would he ever stand in a special position during PP? 
He is suited with a hockey IQ that demands a free role that make him use the unusual creativity he has.

2 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

They way he was setup in PP under Green is one example that he follows order.

He is the most creative guy, why would he ever stand in a special position during PP? 
He is suited with a hockey IQ that demands a free role that make him use the unusual creativity he has.

What about 5v5 though?  That's where he's actually struggling most.  No EV points in 9 games or something like that...

On 2/9/2024 at 4:05 PM, Gurn said:

Anything over $10 mill- trade him, and even at that, I'd be asking around the league, for a potential trade return.

I think $10 million is low, but if he won't sign in the neighbourhood of a Nylander deal, then I think the balance shifts towards the team being better off trading him.

Sign Lindholm as the 2C for in the $8 million range, and you then have millions leftover in cap compared with Petterson to sign other players.

Then you layer on the return for Petterson which would at least be a blue chip young NHL player, an elite prospect, and at least 1 first round pick... probably more than that.  That sets the team up for a longer window as we then have more ELCs in the pipeline so that you can fill holes on the free agent market.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

WARNING tldr: EP in my books is worth 11.6 million over 8 years...

Signing Elias Pettersson... I believe EP will get his chance to be the best in the world, just like the Sedins, but it'll come when he's 27-28 and at his strongest. So his peak is a few years away... maybe he'll even hit 150 points one season, though I won't mention that to his agent. I'll emphasize that he's too small and injury-prone...

Looking at players like McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, and Rantanen, all playing 22 minutes, it's clear they can draw energy from their larger frames. Petey can't match that... he's more in the range of 19:30 a game, like Matthews.

Even comparing playing time with other top centers like Matthews,Barkov, Crosby, and matthews,Aho,Point it's evident Petey falls short in minutes.

So, to make a fair deal for Pettersson, I'd start with the average of these players' CH% and then in 4 years, take the average cap hit % of the above 4 players for the remaining 4... and that's my final offer.

Additionally, considering the negotiation, the calculated contract would amount to $11.6 million.

I dont care about what poophead Nylander signed for... thats my final offer... +/- 0.5m

Edited by PeteyBOI
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PeteyBOI said:

WARNING tldr: EP in my books is worth 11.6 million over 8 years...

Signing Elias Pettersson... I believe EP will get his chance to be the best in the world, just like the Sedins, but it'll come when he's 27-28 and at his strongest. So his peak is a few years away... maybe he'll even hit 150 points one season, though I won't mention that to his agent. I'll emphasize that he's too small and injury-prone...

Looking at players like McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, and Rantanen, all playing 22 minutes, it's clear they can draw energy from their larger frames. Petey can't match that... he's more in the range of 19:30 a game, like Matthews.

Even comparing playing time with other top centers like Matthews,Barkov, Crosby, and matthews,Aho,Point it's evident Petey falls short in minutes.

So, to make a fair deal for Pettersson, I'd start with the average of these players' CH% and then in 4 years, take the average cap hit % of the above 4 players for the remaining 4... and that's my final offer.

Additionally, considering the negotiation, the calculated contract would amount to $11.6 million.

I dont care about what poophead Nylander signed for... thats my final offer... +/- 0.5m

11.1 to 12.1 cap allocation sounds bang on. 

On 2/9/2024 at 2:01 PM, HKSR said:

What about 5v5 though?  That's where he's actually struggling most.  No EV points in 9 games or something like that...

lol as if the rest of the team is not struggling 5v5? what have the miller line done 5v5 and he plays with all the top scorers on the team minus EP.. Boeser Lindholm Hughes Hronek.. compared to EP linemate kuzmenko mikheyev suter hoglander. he's literally playing with linemates not even half his talent level.. i always thought lindholm was brought in to help EP out and allow him to not take faceoff.. guess not. i wonder if part of the issue with EP not negotiating is he wanted to see what management do about getting him some players to play with and not rotate thru the bottom of the barrel non stop. Miller have boeser hughes hronek and now lindholm as a static line.. what does EP have? if EP is suppose to be your scoring line and Miller is the matchup line.. then why is all the top offensive player on the matchup line and EP have a bunch of fringe middle 6

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol as if the rest of the team is not struggling 5v5? what have the miller line done 5v5 and he plays with all the top scorers on the team minus EP.. Boeser Lindholm Hughes Hronek.. compared to EP linemate kuzmenko mikheyev suter hoglander. he's literally playing with linemates not even half his talent level.. i always thought lindholm was brought in to help EP out and allow him to not take faceoff.. guess not. i wonder if part of the issue with EP not negotiating is he wanted to see what management do about getting him some players to play with and not rotate thru the bottom of the barrel non stop. Miller have boeser hughes hronek and now lindholm as a static line.. what does EP have? if EP is suppose to be your scoring line and Miller is the matchup line.. then why is all the top offensive player on the matchup line and EP have a bunch of fringe middle 6

So sick of the excuses.  If Petey comes out and asks for $9m aav on his next deal I'll STFU.  As long as he's looking for pastrnak dollars, I'll expect Pastrnak performance.  Period.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So sick of the excuses.  If Petey comes out and asks for $9m aav on his next deal I'll STFU.  As long as he's looking for pastrnak dollars, I'll expect Pastrnak performance.  Period.

ok? ask pastrnak to play with with geekie frederic poitras debrusk and whatever the hell they have on the 3rd/4th line consistently and continue to perform at his current performance and i'll shut the hell up? coz that's pretty much boston's equivalent to what EP is playing with.. if auston matthew is playing with suter and mikheyev you think he have 40+ goals by now? please name me 1 player in the top 10 scoring that's doing it by themselves with subpar linemates that's remotely close to a suter mikheyev kuzmenko hoglander?

Edited by wai_lai416