[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

6 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Panarin is also a Hart finalist and one-time 1st Team All-star and two-time 2nd Team All-star. While Panarin might be more one-dimensional than Petey, those are accolades that Petey doesn't have and earn a big paycheck. He also signed as a UFA which tends to command a bigger paycheck.

Personally I don't think anyone on Toronto can be used as a comparable. Toronto has been forced to overpay their stars since they overpayed Tavares as a free agent and it has wrecked their internal cap structure. Nylander should have been in the $9.5M-$10M range but since he was driving their offense to start the year Toronto was forced to pay him a contract to match Tavares/Marner.

Panarin gets paid more than Nylander and has never hit more than 96 points and 32 goals. Huberdeau is at $10.5 million. 

Aho is a centre who get paid $9.75 million and has never gotten more than 83 points. 

So there are lots of comps out there to put Petey at $11 million+. Another 100+ point season will guarantee he gets $12 million. 

• ThereItIs 2

19 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Petey is currently 10th overall in NHL scoring, yet there are still posters around here who would rather trade him than pay him anything in excess of $10M. Those folks should maybe look at the cold, heard reality of how much it costs for top players in the NHL. Here are the top ten scorers as of noon on February 25. Note that the two lowest cap hits in the top ten are JT Miller and Petey. Source: CapFriendly

1 Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay, Cap hit $9.5 Actual salary $10

2 Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado cap hit $12.6 Actual salary $16.5

3 Connor McDavid, Edmonton Cap hit Cap hit $12.5 Actual salary $11

4 David Pastrnak, Boston Cap hit $11.25 Actual salary $13 

5 J.T. Miller, Vancouver Cap hit $8 Actual salary $9.5

6 William Nylander, Toronto  Cap hit $11.5  Actual salary $13.5 (New contract)

7 Artemi Panarin, NY Rangers Cap hit $11.642. Actual salary $14

8 Auston Matthews, Toronto Cap Hit $13.25 Actual salary $16.7  (New contract)

9 Mikko Rantanen, Colorado Cap Hit $9.25  Actual salary $12

10 Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Cap Hit $7.5 Actual Salary $10.25 (New contract pending)

So unless he goes on a prolonged slump and puts up only another half dozen points this season, does anybody seriously believe Petey will sign for anything less than $12.5M?

I don't hear anybody calling for Petey to be under 10M. But I look at your list and peg him at 10.75-11.25. Pastrnak is actually a very fair comparable, as is Tkachuk imo. You think he deserves McDavid and Mackinnon money?

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

If I was EP and read these comments Vancouver would be the last place I would want to play.

Im sure the Sedins told him when he got here to not read fan comments.

Honestly if he went to any passionate fan base he’d be hearing similar things.

Not a good look to be holding out and not consistently performing no matter where you are.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Not a good look to be holding out and not consistently performing no matter where you are.

He isn't holding out.  He is keeping his word about not worrying about his contract til after the season.

Oh....and if you are in Toronto you can suck and the fans will still plan the parade lol

45 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Petey is currently 10th overall in NHL scoring, yet there are still posters around here who would rather trade him than pay him anything in excess of $10M. Those folks should maybe look at the cold, heard reality of how much it costs for top players in the NHL. Here are the top ten scorers as of noon on February 25. Note that the two lowest cap hits in the top ten are JT Miller and Petey. Source: CapFriendly

1 Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay, Cap hit $9.5 Actual salary $10

2 Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado cap hit $12.6 Actual salary $16.5

3 Connor McDavid, Edmonton Cap hit Cap hit $12.5 Actual salary $11

4 David Pastrnak, Boston Cap hit $11.25 Actual salary $13 

5 J.T. Miller, Vancouver Cap hit $8 Actual salary $9.5

6 William Nylander, Toronto  Cap hit $11.5  Actual salary $13.5 (New contract)

7 Artemi Panarin, NY Rangers Cap hit $11.642. Actual salary $14

8 Auston Matthews, Toronto Cap Hit $13.25 Actual salary $16.7  (New contract)

9 Mikko Rantanen, Colorado Cap Hit $9.25  Actual salary $12

10 Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Cap Hit $7.5 Actual Salary $10.25 (New contract pending)

So unless he goes on a prolonged slump and puts up only another half dozen points this season, does anybody seriously believe Petey will sign for anything less than $12.5M?

Are you talking about annual salary or cap hit?  Lots of those guys have front loaded contracts that end up much lower by the end, hence the cap hit being lower than actual salary paid.

I'd be fine with Petey getting 12.5m actual salary if it drops down by year 8 such that the average cap hit is under $12m.

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

He isn't holding out.  He is keeping his word about not worrying about his contract til after the season.

Oh....and if you are in Toronto you can suck and the fans will still plan the parade lol

I know but that’s not how it’s being perceived by the masses.

Most people heard his comments about wanting to win and thought he would have signed now that they’re doing a lot of winning.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

If I was EP and read these comments Vancouver would be the last place I would want to play.

Why? If you were looking to get paid 10M+ a year, then you deserve to have everything you do criticized IMO. 
I don't even hit triple figures and I get insanely criticized 

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s really as simple as that. Perform. Do what you’ve been signed to do. Miller did just that last night. Put the team on his back. 

This ultra defensive part of the fanbase makes me laugh. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Panarin gets paid more than Nylander and has never hit more than 96 points and 32 goals. Huberdeau is at $10.5 million. 

Aho is a centre who get paid $9.75 million and has never gotten more than 83 points. 

So there are lots of comps out there to put Petey at $11 million+. Another 100+ point season will guarantee he gets $12 million. 

You're right based on stats alone.  We have to pay attention that petey is on a team that has lead the league in scoring.  Those stats of his are probably 80 pt seasons in an average team.

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know but that’s not how it’s being perceived by the masses.

Most people heard his comments about wanting to win and thought he would have signed now that they’re doing a lot of winning.

By the masses you mean people online.  Which make up a small % of fans.

36 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Well let's hope Petey has thicker skin than an anonymous internet hockey forum poster. 

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Well he doesn't read this forum for sure lol

Probably not, or else he would have taken our advice and signed for 8 yrs $10.5m, he would be playing with more aggression, he would have gained 20lb of muscle and got stronger on his feet and he would have likely shown up for the big games.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Probably not, or else he would have taken our advice and signed for 8 yrs $10.5m, he would be playing with more aggression, he would have gained 20lb of muscle and got stronger on his feet and he would have likely shown up for the big games.

I am sure he would have taken our advice 😂

33 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

You're right based on stats alone.  We have to pay attention that petey is on a team that has lead the league in scoring.  Those stats of his are probably 80 pt seasons in an average team.

Didn't he get 102 points last year when we were a lottery team?

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Where is Petey holding out?  Didn't he play last night?

He'll sign when he signs.  He said after the season so it will be after the season.  Guy wants to bet on himself, gotta like that attitude.   Why would anyone want to get paid less at their job?  Frankly, the only reason he would take a pay cut relative to the market is that he wins the cup in Vancouver.

100+ pages of nonsense.   I'm just adding my bit.  PA/JR know what they are doing.  We don't need to worry about it.

His performance in the playoffs is what really matters to me.  Not the regular season, although he's likely getting a 100pt season again.  But I guess that's not special enough for some salty fans. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You seem to enjoy completely ignoring posted information when you try to make your points. 

Pettersson is a great player, but there are only 3 players in the league set to make more than $12M next year: Matthews, MacKinnon, and McDavid. Do you seriously think Pettersson is the 4th best player in the world? Again, he's a great player and maybe he still has potential to be in that category but I wouldn't put him there now.

Huberdeau is actually a pretty good comparison. He got offered his $10.5M contract after a 115 point season. Maybe it doesn't look as good right now, but that was a hell of a season. It was also his 4th straight season over 1PPG.

You're loving saying that Panarin has never had more than 96 points while saying Petey is on pace for his 2nd 100 point season. Using that logic, Panarin is on pace for his 3rd 100 point season. He previously put up 95 in 69 and 96 in 79, both seasons were over a 100 point pace. Also, again, Panarin has been a Hart finalist which is worth a lot of money. Panarin is also one of the most consistent players in the league. Since he entered the league in 2015 he's the 5th highest scoring player and since the 2019-20 season is the 4th highest scoring player behind only McDavid, Draisaitl, and MacKinnon. He's about to have his 7th straight PPG+ season. This will be Pettersson's second season over 1PPG.

(Just for reference, since the 2019-20 season Pettersson is 22nd in scoring and actually 1 point behind Sebastian Aho, though very slightly higher in PPG).

Again, Pettersson is a great player with potential to still maybe get his name into the Hart conversation in the future. But, he isn't there quite yet. Sure, some of his contract will be based on his potential and he's still quite young, but I don't think he should be getting paid the same as the guys that already have those accolades. Yes, it's absolutely possible that his next contract is $12M+, I just don't think it should be.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1