[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is fine to be the 10th or 15th best forward in the league, those don't grow on trees and that is pretty elite.

If he wants to get paid as a top 3-5 guy, then that is where cap considerations come in.  He isn't McDavid, MacKinnon, or Matthews level... he is really below a guy like Pastrnak who just signed for $11.25 million on a max term deal.

We couldn't replace Petterson on the market, but it needs to keep getting noted that he is the 3rd best player on our team right now... not 3rd best player in the whole league.

The more I look at where his game is at and where his production is I see him in line with say capwise between Matthew Tkachuk and William Nylander tops. Thats between 9.5m and 11.5m per taking into account a rising salary cap, stage of career, buying UFA years etc.

To be frank with a rising cap, short or longer term a caphit above 9.5m per for what Pettersson is giving seems to be a reach. This whole 12m plus just doesn't jive. Problematic for the team's cap structure.

If management is truly waiting with a blank cheque to write 12m+range that scares me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The more I look at where his game is at and where his production is I see him in line with say capwise between Matthew Tkachuk and William Nylander tops. Thats between 9.5m and 11.5m per taking into account a rising salary cap, stage of career, buying UFA years etc.

To be frank with a rising cap, short or longer term a caphit above 9.5m per for what Pettersson is giving seems to be a reach. This whole 12m plus just doesn't jive. Problematic for the team's cap structure.

If management is truly waiting with a blank cheque to write 12m+range that scares me.

Yep,

$10.5 is a solid deal, $11.5 and he almost certainly isn’t going to outplay his cap hit unless the ceiling raises significantly.

At $12 million you really have to look at what the return would be if you traded him instead.  

Some teams for sure unloads the vault before draft day to land a top line centre.  That not only means you have $12 million in cap space to play with (eg.  Lindholm+Tanev+Joshua Vs. Petterson + 2x guys close to league minimum for the same cap)… but also blue chip futures who give you efficient ELC deals for a few heads which opens up more cap space. If you are replacing expensive veteran contracts like Myers with around $1 million ELC contracts, the cap situation gets rosier and rosier.  We have a couple high end prospects in the pipeline, but a Petterson deal gets you 2-3 more.

If he wants another bridge deal so he can cash in at 29 on a max term contract that will become an anchor… don’t play that game.

None of that says Petterson isn’t a great player.  It is just cap considerations and salary structure of the team.  We don’t want to be the Oilers or Leafs who are top heavy with little depth.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep,

$10.5 is a solid deal, $11.5 and he almost certainly isn’t going to outplay his cap hit unless the ceiling raises significantly.

At $12 million you really have to look at what the return would be if you traded him instead.  

Some teams for sure unloads the vault before draft day to land a top line centre.  That not only means you have $12 million in cap space to play with (eg.  Lindholm+Tanev+Joshua Vs. Petterson + 2x guys close to league minimum for the same cap)… but also blue chip futures who give you efficient ELC deals for a few heads which opens up more cap space. If you are replacing expensive veteran contracts like Myers with around $1 million ELC contracts, the cap situation gets rosier and rosier.  We have a couple high end prospects in the pipeline, but a Petterson deal gets you 2-3 more.

If he wants another bridge deal so he can cash in at 29 on a max term contract that will become an anchor… don’t play that game.

None of that says Petterson isn’t a great player.  It is just cap considerations and salary structure of the team.  We don’t want to be the Oilers or Leafs who are top heavy with little depth.

Or the team does a Calgary and is now stuck with a bad Huberdeau contract just to compensate losing their star players. Opening up possibilities is a good thing but who is say, after losing a star player, the GM won't do something crazy and irrational just to save his skin? 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Or the team does a Calgary and is now stuck with a bad Huberdeau contract just to compensate losing their star players. Opening up possibilities is a good thing but who is say, after losing a star player, the GM won't do something crazy and irrational just to save his skin? 

I hate to break this to you, but Benning got fired a while back.

Also, we should turn down any 1st overall picks offered to us because who is to say we wouldn’t end up with Patrik  Stefan 

• Cheers 1

I wonder if Petey miscalculated that he'd be able to block out contract issues and just play. Something is clearly bothering him 

Just get it done one way or another, ink a deal or ask to be moved, so Allvin can continue the work of securing the rest of the team.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • MillerTime 2

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if Petey miscalculated that he'd be able to block out contact issues and just play. Something is clearly bothering him 

Just get it done one way or another, ink a deal or ask to be moved, so Allvin can continue the work of securing the rest of the team.

Pretty much, Bob. The lackadaisical approach he's taken is obvious. The core of Miller, Demko, Hughes and Boeser is strong. They all showed will last night to try and win the game. Didn't see that from Pettersson. Hopefully he can start reigniting his game against LA. If he mails in another subpar performance, the writing may be on the wall. Better to move on sooner than later. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Pretty much, Bob. The lackadaisical approach he's taken is obvious. The core of Miller, Demko, Hughes, Boeser is strong. They all showed will last night to try and win the game. Didn't see that from Pettersson. Hopefully he can start reigniting his game against LA. If he mails in another subpar performance, the writing may be on the wall. Better to move on sooner than later. 

Or sign him so he can relax and just play. Petey is a really good player, but something has to change one way or another.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if Petey miscalculated that he'd be able to block out contract issues and just play. Something is clearly bothering him 

Yep, if that is the issue...

• MillerTime 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pretty much, Bob. The lackadaisical approach he's taken is obvious. The core of Miller, Demko, Hughes and Boeser is strong. They all showed will last night to try and win the game. Didn't see that from Pettersson. Hopefully he can start reigniting his game against LA. If he mails in another subpar performance, the writing may be on the wall. Better to move on sooner than later. 

Last year the core was Miller, Demko, Hughes and Petey...

Just goes to show that good players have down turns as well.. who knows, what goes on in Peteys private life? maybe he is carrying an injury? or whatever... I'd be careful dumping him like yesterdays news...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Last year the core was Miller, Demko, Hughes and Petey...

Just goes to show that good players have down turns as well.. who knows, what goes on in Peteys private life? maybe he is carrying an injury? or whatever... I'd be careful dumping him like yesterdays news...

Dumping him like yesterday's news? That's a tad overdramatic. Don't kid yourself, management is shrewd enough to consider every possibility.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Devils suck pucks. It’s a badly coached and managed team in a horrible market. Jack and Luke must hate that market. Petey looks unhappy with the intensity of this market. He would likely prefer the anonymity of Jersey. And the Hughes boys would thrive on our hot market. 
It’s the perfect trade. 
Polish up the domes Allvin/JR. there’s a trade to be made!!!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Dumping him like yesterday's news? That's a tad overdramatic. Don't kid yourself, management is shrewd enough to consider every possibility.

Oh yes, zero doubt about that... 

They have shown that if it doesn't come in at the price they want, they get rid... and rightfully so.

But point being last year folks couldn't get rid of Brock quick enough after he had a few down years. This year he has made it full circle and is back to, what we hoped he could be.

Petey  it now driving the play as well as he has in previous seasons (although his struggles has only been recently)... He is up an down, but in every season he has been out leading scorer, so just because he is having a down time or period of time when it doesn't go according to plan, doesn't mean he won't take off again.

A lot of the focus is because of the contract talk of 12x8 that has been rejected...seemingly, although nobody has confirmed it and the person saying so has seemed to be retracting on it...

Maybe it is right, and maybe it is wrong... Petey held out last time as well... Could the reason his game has looked less than his best be to do with rumours of his contract slipping out, despite him saying nothing are to be discussed until the offseason? Maybe he has had some heart break in his personal life? We don't know, and I would hate to see him hounded out, only to find out the were talking about 10X5 and he had said no to that, hoping his performances would give him a better deal?

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Bardown said:

I don’t think so actually. 

McTavish is 4 years younger

Also a left Handed Center 

bigger, more physical and 3rd overall 

year one 43pts in 82 games

This year 39 pts in 50 games 

plays a hard heavy hame - he’s a great replacement 

the pick will be top 3. We’re getting Celebrini or a top 3 pick regardless 

Even if you got a 1st round pick from Chicago or SJ just say top 3, because 18.5% isn't a lock for first overall by any means.

Got to admit if we could get 2 top 5 picks. Celebrini and Lindstrom would be a hell of a new foundation to build from.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Devils suck pucks. It’s a badly coached and managed team in a horrible market. Jack and Luke must hate that market. Petey looks unhappy with the intensity of this market. He would likely prefer the anonymity of Jersey. And the Hughes boys would thrive on our hot market. 
It’s the perfect trade. 
Polish up the domes Allvin/JR. there’s a trade to be made!!!

If only we had Brian Burke to pull off the Sedin draft 2.0.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There’s definitely something off with him and it’s psychological imho 

when he came here he talked of being the best, and trained like it. He pushed himself really hard in practice and games. He sees to have lost a bit of that. He’s not lazy but he doesn’t seem to have that drive to be the very best right now. 

Could it be a nagging injury? sure. could it be frustration that teams target him harder now so he has to adjust his game and doesn’t want to? could it be maturity - ie visible expressions of frustration when a play doesn’t go his way? Could it be the spotlight? Or could it just be he just doesn’t want to be a Canuck?

The latter is the concern. When he said he didn’t want the captaincy that to me was a tell. He was planning back then to move on and didn’t want to make it harder. Then it was about wanting to be in a winner. Now it’s about waiting to sign… this is probably all weighing on him because for whatever reason he’s not happy in Van. He’s professional enough to keep trying but when your heart isn’t into something, as hard as you want to put it aside, it will always show. He’s just so good that he can still put up points. 

But, to me,  there’s a clear pattern here of non commitment to the franchise long term…

He’s still playing for his teammates, but I really don’t see him being here after the draft. I think it’s clear he’s not committed to being a Vancouver Canuck. 

Edited by Bardown
  • MillerTime 1

4 minutes ago, Bardown said:

There’s definitely something off with him and it’s psychological imho 

when he came here he talked of being the best, and trained like it. He pushed himself really hard in practice and games. He sees to have lost a bit of that. He’s not lazy but he doesn’t seem to have that drive to be the very best right now. 

Could it be a nagging injury? sure. could it be frustration that teams target him harder now so he has to adjust his game and doesn’t want to? could it be maturity - ie visible expressions of frustration when a play doesn’t go his way? Could it be the spotlight? Or could it just be he just doesn’t want to be a Canuck?

The latter is the concern. When he said he didn’t want the captaincy that to me was a tell. He was planning back then to move on and didn’t want to make it harder. Then it was about wanting to be in a winner. Now it’s about waiting to sign… 

There’s a clear pattern here of non commitment to the franchise long term…

He’s still playing hard and putting up ooh ya but I really don’t see him being here after the draft. I think it’s clear he’s not committed to being a Vancouver Canuck. 

i don't know what's going on in his life or in his head, but he does look definitely disconnected. For me, I want the team firing on all cylinders playing for each other and for the post season. If shit is going on in his life, he either needs to take some time off to sort it out if the situation is untenable or he needs to compartmentalize it and focus. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Oh yes, zero doubt about that... 

They have shown that if it doesn't come in at the price they want, they get rid... and rightfully so.

But point being last year folks couldn't get rid of Brock quick enough after he had a few down years. This year he has made it full circle and is back to, what we hoped he could be.

Petey  it now driving the play as well as he has in previous seasons (although his struggles has only been recently)... He is up an down, but in every season he has been out leading scorer, so just because he is having a down time or period of time when it doesn't go according to plan, doesn't mean he won't take off again.

A lot of the focus is because of the contract talk of 12x8 that has been rejected...seemingly, although nobody has confirmed it and the person saying so has seemed to be retracting on it...

Maybe it is right, and maybe it is wrong... Petey held out last time as well... Could the reason his game has looked less than his best be to do with rumours of his contract slipping out, despite him saying nothing are to be discussed until the offseason? Maybe he has had some heart break in his personal life? We don't know, and I would hate to see him hounded out, only to find out the were talking about 10X5 and he had said no to that, hoping his performances would give him a better deal?

If Pettersson's game is slipping because of the noise around his contract, that's not a good thing, as that is a self-inflicted wound. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Pettersson's game is slipping because of the noise around his contract, that's not a good thing, as that is a self-inflicted wound. 

maybe its just me, but if someone rolled up with a life changing amount of dough, I'd sign the freaking thing. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe its just me, but if someone rolled up with a life changing amount of dough, I'd sign the freaking thing. 

Exactly 

and if you’re holding off it means you’re not happy where you are 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Same. He's clearly had his challenges with the Canucks when they were treading water for years and missing the playoffs. I get that frustration and would totally understand his trepidation in signing if that was the case again this season.

He made the statement that he wants to be on a team that wants to win. 

Well, the Canucks are leading the league and have been for a sizeable portion of the season. That seems like a team that wants to win. And teams that want to win usually need to know what cap flexibility they have in case they need to add near or at the trade deadline. 

And if the rumor is true (and no one has come out and debunked it) that he was offered $96M but didn't bite, that is odd and concerning. 

Things just aren't adding up. Yes, he said he wanted to sign at the end of the season, and while that's his prerogative, it's not what's best for the team and their continuing success. Neither is playing at half of what your capability is either.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Same. He's clearly had his challenges with the Canucks when they were treading water for years and missing the playoffs. I get that frustration and would totally understand his trepidation in signing if that was the case again this season.

He made the statement that he wants to be on a team that wants to win. 

Well, the Canucks are leading the league and have been for a sizeable portion of the season. That seems like a team that wants to win. And teams that want to win usually need to know what cap flexibility they have in case they need to add near or at the trade deadline. 

And if the rumor is true (and no one has come out and debunked it) that he was offered $96M but didn't bite, that is odd and concerning. 

Things just aren't adding up. Yes, he said he wanted to sign at the end of the season, and while that's his prerogative, it's not what's best for the team and their continuing success. Neither is playing at half of what your capability is either.

yeah its odd. But I guess this is what Matthews did to the Leaves too, so maybe guys feel entitled to this kind of thing now. Dunno.

Just makes me appreciate Miller more, and that we didn't do something dumb like trade him for Chytil and picks. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

We are among the league’s best and are a bonafide playoff threat with a much improved organization from top to bottom.

if that’s not enough to convince EP that this club has built around him, providing him the best chance of winning as well as raising his own stock as a player and $ value, then move him out. No one is owed anything BUT he has been well catered to during his time here and if he’s not happy with the org after the huge strides made beginning last season, he will never be happy here and I’d rather us cash in on a high value “malcontent” and firmly stabilize this club at its current and future capacity after the season.  

Love EP and believe he will extend after the season but don’t think it will be a team friendly deal. It’ll more be a matter of mgmt choosing to accept the cost to retain him post RFA status. We will see what EP’s level of commitment is in the future if the team has to dismantle its current iteration in any way to afford his next contract. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

You all are out to lunch.  His line mates for most of the year have been 3rd/4th liners and he is still on pace for 40 goals & 100+ points.  He's 25 years old and is putting up back to back 100pt seasons. He's improved his faceoffs, he strong defensively, plays on both special teams.  Apparently this isn't good enough for the fans. 

WHAT!?! He wants to get paid after the season is over and likely wants market value?!?  How dare that son of a bitch!  He should be telling his bosses that he will gladly get paid 1/6 less because that's what the fans want and all of you have definitely gone to your bosses and asked for a pay cut to help your "team" be better, right?  I mean, nobody on this site would judge a player for potentially getting paid (since nobody knows what he wants, how long he wants, etc) without first exerting their own pay cut so they have some level of moral authority, right?

Can't understand why some players would ever want to play in Vancouver, the outside noise from fans & media isn't worth it.  If I was Petey I wouldn't sign passed my year to be UFA and see how much Florida/Tampa is willing to pay.  Better taxes, better media, better weather, better fans.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1