[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

Rubik

3 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

You all are out to lunch.  His line mates for most of the year have been 3rd/4th liners and he is still on pace for 40 goals & 100+ points.  He's 25 years old and is putting up back to back 100pt seasons. He's improved his faceoffs, he strong defensively, plays on both special teams.  Apparently this isn't good enough for the fans. 

WHAT!?! He wants to get paid after the season is over and likely wants market value?!?  How dare that son of a bitch!  He should be telling his bosses that he will gladly get paid 1/6 less because that's what the fans want and all of you have definitely gone to your bosses and asked for a pay cut to help your "team" be better, right?  I mean, nobody on this site would judge a player for potentially getting paid (since nobody knows what he wants, how long he wants, etc) without first exerting their own pay cut so they have some level of moral authority, right?

Can't understand why some players would ever want to play in Vancouver, the outside noise from fans & media isn't worth it.  If I was Petey I wouldn't sign passed my year to be UFA and see how much Florida/Tampa is willing to pay.  Better taxes, better media, better weather, better fans.

Well There You Go Over It GIF by Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 2

Maybe Petey's putting too much pressure on himself to excel, upping his value at the highest possible and then cashing in with a big contract. He hasn't scored since that OT loss to DET (10 games ago). Watching him after unsuccessful plays, dropping his shoulders and looking to the sky in disbelief.  I also don't think Pettersson likes the microscope in a Canadian market, maybe that pressure is getting to him. Canucks fans and media are vocal and have high expectations. 

For some reason I can imagine Pettersson in a Panthers uniform

• Like 2

Petterson's contract sitituation...Meh

Either it gets done in the offseason, like he's said all along... or there's other issues at play and the Mgmt deals with it then. Until then we're all just guessing, speculating and getting worked up over something we can't control. Personally, I'd like to see him sign a shorter term deal (4-5 years) as i feel that's kinda our window to win anyway.

I'll be happy when the TDL is over and the headlines start focussing on playoff hockey. The Media likes to cause mayhem, create conspiracy theories to rile up fanbases and generate clicks. As diehard fans we are an easy target to provoke by stiring the pot. The media is usually just trying to create the next viral story and create engagement.     

I love the posts and interaction on these forums, the engagement makes you think and sometimes re evaluate your own views/perspective. Other times it makes you wonder what time posters started drinking. LOL

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

You all are out to lunch.  His line mates for most of the year have been 3rd/4th liners and he is still on pace for 40 goals & 100+ points.  He's 25 years old and is putting up back to back 100pt seasons. He's improved his faceoffs, he strong defensively, plays on both special teams.  Apparently this isn't good enough for the fans. 

WHAT!?! He wants to get paid after the season is over and likely wants market value?!?  How dare that son of a bitch!  He should be telling his bosses that he will gladly get paid 1/6 less because that's what the fans want and all of you have definitely gone to your bosses and asked for a pay cut to help your "team" be better, right?  I mean, nobody on this site would judge a player for potentially getting paid (since nobody knows what he wants, how long he wants, etc) without first exerting their own pay cut so they have some level of moral authority, right?

Can't understand why some players would ever want to play in Vancouver, the outside noise from fans & media isn't worth it.  If I was Petey I wouldn't sign passed my year to be UFA and see how much Florida/Tampa is willing to pay.  Better taxes, better media, better weather, better fans.

All the money in the world wouldn't get me to move to Florida.

• Haha 1

Well my "controversial opinion" is if this "unmotivated" Petey is on pace for 100 pts then I would love to keep him as part of the Canucks and sign him long term 😇

But if he's going to ask for a number that is unreasonable, make the negotiation process tough, or only agree to a short term deal at a crazy amount. Then ..

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Mickey Mouse

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Well my "controversial opinion" is if this "unmotivated" Petey is on pace for 100 pts then I would love to keep him as part of the Canucks and sign him long term 😇

But if he's going to ask for a number that is unreasonable, make the negotiation process tough, or only agree to a short term deal at a crazy amount. Then ..

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Mickey Mouse

Immensely talented, game breaking skill… seems disinterested too often. 

Maybe he’s hurt? Maybe the noise is bugging him.

end of the day… even disinterested Petey is a crazy good player. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Immensely talented, game breaking skill… seems disinterested too often. 

Maybe he’s hurt? Maybe the noise is bugging him.

end of the day… even disinterested Petey is a crazy good player. 

And even better if he wants to stay long term. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Probably, and that's fine.

I think hockey fans in general often have unrealistic hopes and expectations regarding players taking team friendly deals in general though.

Most star players don't take discounts, I don't know how a player being paid market value got spun into being a negative when it's actually the norm.

12 million isn't a discount, that's the point

• Cheers 1

Just curious....

I know alot of posters are speculating on what fair market value is for Petey.... let's just use the $11 -$13 million range.

Do you really care what he makes (on whatever length contract) if he perfoms or outpreforms his contract?

Obviously, everyone would prefer a lower dollar value, I mean who doesn't want a deal?...BUT  

Hughes - signed a big contract (at the time) and is outpreforming his salary...and only getting better each year.

Miller - signed a big contract (at the time) and is outpreforming his salary...for now and probably a couple more years.

Thatcher - is outperforming his contract 

So if Petterson signs for $12 - $13 million but outperforms his contract by putting up multiple 100+ point seasons while giving us a chance to win a Stanley Cup who here would be upset? He's 25 years old, chances are he gets better between now and 30, so I think it's reasonable to expect we'll probably have to pay a bit of a premium. If he wins a Stanley Cup this season the cost might even be a little higher...who knows. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • MillerTime 1

11 minutes ago, Bardown said:

12 million isn't a discount, that's the point

Nah, it's probably not. But value and what folks think market value is also happens to be subjective.

I reckon 11M would be a discount, others would argue it's market value, others would argue it's an overpayment.

My take is that the Leafs threw the Canucks a grenade by handing Nylander 11.5M per, I have a hard time seeing Pettersson getting less than that. Pettersson's camp was probably waiting for the Nylander deal to get done.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, it's probably not. But value and what folks think market value is also happens to be subjective.

I reckon 11M would be a discount, others would argue it's market value, others would argue it's an overpayment.

My take is that the Leafs threw the Canucks a grenade by handing Nylander 11.5M per, I have a hard time seeing Pettersson getting less than that. Pettersson's camp was probably waiting for the Nylander deal to get done.

That's exactly the comp I've used, and Petey has better numbers and is a center vs Nylander who's listed as a C but  plays wing. The question is, is he worth 12 mil. Halford and Brough said it well. 12 mil is franchise player money. Petey is not a franchise player. He is a good scorer but not guy who "Drives the bus", those are Hughes, Demko and Miller. The Petey who wanted to be the best in the league has kind of gone MIA, perhaps its the money, perhaps he doesn't want to be here. Its not to say he's not performing, but that little 10% more, the fire, isn't there...and you can't pay someone 12 mil if they don't have that imho.

Edited by Bardown
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Probably, and that's fine.

I think hockey fans in general often have unrealistic hopes and expectations regarding players taking team friendly deals in general though.

Most star players don't take discounts, I don't know how a player being paid market value got spun into being a negative when it's actually the norm.

I’m not talking team friendly. I’m talking finding the biggest pay day. We don’t know what’s going on in his mind but what we do know is that a) he’s willing to bet on himself despite any distraction it may cause to both the club or his own play, b) he doesn’t want to discuss contract until in reality he has this club by the balls in terms of pay up or trade out (potentially compromising his value to the club that way too).

I don’t give a shit about the fan element in any of this. What I see is a player caring about his own future, and subsequently a club that has to be prepared to move on from him. 

if he was willing to discuss deal during the season it may effectively put this club in a better position to determine budget/personnel going forward. That not a concern to EP. That’s why he’s not a captain. 

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I would not be surprised if it's a 3 year deal to match Hughes.

I hope not. It means more drama in a few years and lots of ‘will he’ or ‘won’t he’ sign again. 8 years is my goal of no more than $12 million per. We need more than him being well paid to win a cup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

That's exactly the comp I've used, and Petey has better numbers and is a center vs Nylander who's listed as a C but  plays wing. The question is, is he worth 12 mil. Halford and Brough said it well. 12 mil is franchise player money. Petey is not a franchise player. He is a good scorer but not guy who "Drives the bus", those are Hughes, Demko and Miller. The Petey who wanted to be the best in the league has kind of gone MIA, perhaps its the money, perhaps he doesn't want to be here. Its not to say he's not performing, but that little 10% more, the fire, isn't there...and you can't pay someone 12 mil if they don't have that imho.

I think market value would dictate that he is probably worth closer to 12M imo, but that's because market value is always shifting. Nylander is the closest, and most recent, comparable and is likely the one Pettersson's agent will use. 

Market value for franchise players shifts, and what some guys get is also dependent on when their contracts expire. Matthews just raised the bar for franchise, top of the league players with his 13.25M contract. McDavid will shift it again his deal is up. Draisaitl will shift it before McDavid, his deal is up after next season. 

Some folks will point to Pastrnak, that's been an ongoing discussion within this thread as well. But Pasta signed last season on March 2nd, 2023. He didn't have the incoming cap jump to bump up his pay, Pettersson does. The rising cap will always disrupt past contexts, because contracts for top players will always rise alongside the cap. It's the same thing with MacKinnon, who folks also point to. But the context there is he signed under a Covid flat cap that wasn't seeing sizeable jumps back on September 20th, 2022. He didn't take a discount either. Folks will argue Pettersson shouldn't get more than either player as if things are black and white, when context will tell you than things aren't black and white. 

Folks argue that 12M is for top of the league, top 5 tier players. Pettersson is already in the top of the league bracket, but 12M may not be top of the league money 2-3 years into Pettersson's next deal. 

Pettersson will almost certainly get the same or more than Nylander whether folks like it or not unless his deal is like 2-3 years, and even then he might. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I’m not talking team friendly. I’m talking finding the biggest pay day. We don’t know what’s going on in his mind but what we do know is that a) he’s willing to bet on himself despite any distraction it may cause to both the club or his own play, b) he doesn’t want to discuss contract until in reality he has this club by the balls in terms of pay up or trade out (potentially compromising his value to the club that way too).

I don’t give a shit about the fan element in any of this. What I see is a player caring about his own future, and subsequently a club that has to be prepared to move on from him. 

if he was willing to discuss deal during the season it may effectively put this club in a better position to determine budget/personnel going forward. That not a concern to EP. That’s why he’s not a captain. 

I'd argue that most stars probably get paid full value, and that many of them do in fact take the biggest pay day they can. MacKinnon did, Matthews did, Nylander did, Dahlin did. Hughes will, Makar will, Draisaitl will, McDavid will. 

The team knew going into the season what Elias's stance was, they can be frustrated all they like but it's not as if they weren't aware of what he stance was. 

I don't think Elias ever wanted to be captain, I don't think that has anything to do with negotiations. He's never been keen on dealing with the media, why would he opt to do it every other day as a captain? 

Hughes was the best option, he bridges the gap between vets and youngsters and straddles the line between being laid back and competitive better than either Pettersson or Miller. More than likely Pettersson didn't want it, and Miller is better suited being able to focus on hockey and not having the media burden that comes with being a captain in a Canadian market. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Just curious....

I know alot of posters are speculating on what fair market value is for Petey.... let's just use the $11 -$13 million range.

Do you really care what he makes (on whatever length contract) if he perfoms or outpreforms his contract?

Obviously, everyone would prefer a lower dollar value, I mean who doesn't want a deal?...BUT  

Hughes - signed a big contract (at the time) and is outpreforming his salary...and only getting better each year.

Miller - signed a big contract (at the time) and is outpreforming his salary...for now and probably a couple more years.

Thatcher - is outperforming his contract 

So if Petterson signs for $12 - $13 million but outperforms his contract by putting up multiple 100+ point seasons while giving us a chance to win a Stanley Cup who here would be upset? He's 25 years old, chances are he gets better between now and 30, so I think it's reasonable to expect we'll probably have to pay a bit of a premium. If he wins a Stanley Cup this season the cost might even be a little higher...who knows. 

I think we are in a position to pay Petey the big dollars because the players you mentioned are outperforming their contracts...can you imagine if JT or Quinn needed a few contract this offseason? I believe Petey just needs to preform like a 11-12 million dollar if that what he's going to be asking for.

• Like 2